Sparks Part III

Like the Lotus: The Next Generation

The Previous Day…

Jun-Seo had just left his father's office. As he exited, he noticed Park Jung-Ho sitting there, waiting to speak with Joon Pyo. He held an ice pack against his eye. Jung-Ho pulled the pack down and scowled at Jun-Seo. His eye had taken on a purplish-black color.

"Nice eye…," Jun-Seo smirked. Jung-Ho said nothing but simply gave him a dirty look.

Jun-Seo grasped the doorknob to exit but then turned back. "You know, Park Jung-Ho, you're even stupider than I thought…"

Jung-Ho glared at him.

"What did you hope to accomplish by insulting my aunt and noona and by taunting my hyung, anyway? Did you think that my hyung would just stand by and let you get away with that? You're actually pretty lucky that my hyung has some self-restraint. He's a much nicer guy than I am. I would have put you in the hospital…," Jun-Seo glared menacingly at Jung-Ho.

Jung-Ho scoffed, "You talk pretty big…"

Jun-Seo smirked. "And why shouldn't I? I told you before that I—we—have a lot of powerful people behind us... Oh, and speaking of which, my appa knows all about what you said, and I also told him about that little stunt you pulled with my noona, Mee-Yon… She was going to just let you off the hook and not tell anyone about it. But I'm not so nice as her, either…," Jun-Seo shook his head, "But yea, my appa is pretty pissed off…"

Jun-Seo noticed a hint of fear in Jung-Ho's eyes…

"So, be prepared to up real good if you don't want to be kicked out of school… Oh, and don't ever come near my noona again…," Jun-Seo leaned down and got in Jung-Ho's face. He spoke in a low, menacing tone, "…Or I'll make your life at this school a living nightmare…"

Jung-Ho and Jun-Seo glared at one another. "That is…if my appa even lets you stay here… Good luck!" Jun-Seo said sarcastically. He smirked and gave the fighting sign before walking off.


"Why was Seok-Young sent home from school?!" Jan Di demanded. She was at the hospital and on the phone with Ji Hoo.

"He just had a little scuffle with a boy at school," Ji Hoo replied.

"A scuffle? What do you mean? Is he alright?!"

"It's fine, Jan Di-yah. Seok-Young is fine, and the other boy is fine. Don't worry. I'm taking care of it. Joon Pyo talked to Seok-Young, and I talked to him, as well. But we do need to have a meeting with Joon Pyo and…Park Jung-Ho's parents tomorrow morning…"

"Park Jung-Ho is the boy that Seok-Young got into a fight with?!" Jan Di asked, incredulous.

"Yes."

Jan Di sighed. "Alright, what time tomorrow?"


That Day, After School…

So Eun-Jeong arrived at the Yoon household. Her driver opened the car door for her, and she got out. She went up to the house and rang the bell. Ji Hoo answered.

"Oh, hi Uncle Ji Hoo," she bowed.

"Hello, Eun-Jeong-ah. Would you like to come in?"

"No thank you, Uncle Ji Hoo. Is Seok-Young here?" she glanced around inside.

"He's in his room. Would you like to see him?"

"No, that's OK," she shook her head a bit too emphatically, "I just…collected the homework for Seok-Young that he missed in school today…" she handed a folder to Ji Hoo.

"Oh, that was very thoughtful, Eun-Jeong-ah. Gomawo. You must have gone to a lot of trouble. You don't even have the same classes as him…"

"Oh, it was no trouble, Uncle Ji Hoo, really..."

"Well, thank you again. And I'll be sure to pass this along to him," Ji Hoo smiled at her.

Eun-Jeong nodded. "Kamsahamnida, Uncle Ji Hoo," she bowed to him and turned to leave. Then, she turned back.

"Uncle Ji Hoo…?" Eun-Jeong began tentatively.

"Yes?"

"Is Seok-Young…OK?" she looked up at Ji Hoo with large eyes, full of concern.

Ji Hoo smiled. "Yes, he's fine, Eun-Jeong-ah."

"He's…not going to get suspended, is he?" she muttered.

"No, Eun-Jeong-ah, I don't believe so."

Eun-Jeong nodded. "Good… You and Aunt Jan Di won't be…too hard on him, will you?" she kept her head lowered.

A small smile crossed Ji Hoo's lips. "No, we won't be too hard on him. Don't worry, sweetheart."

Eun-Jeong smiled faintly and nodded. She exchanged another bow with Ji Hoo. She turned to leave again but paused to consider something. She stood there motionless, lost in her thoughts...

"Was there something else, sweetheart?"

"Well, Uncle Ji Hoo…," Eun-Jeong began, "…No, never mind!" she gave an awkward laugh and shook her head back and forth rapidly.

"Are you sure?"

"Ah, well…it's kind of stupid…"

"I'm sure it's not," Ji Hoo replied.

She pursed her lips. "Well, I know you're very busy, but I was wondering if…maybe…when you have a few minutes to spare…you could possibly…give me a music lesson?"

"Just one?"

"Well, I know I'm going to need a lot of them—I know absolutely nothing about music—but I don't want to take up that much of your time. I just thought that maybe you could help me to get started… But, like I said, it's stupid… I don't really know what I was thinking; you're way too busy for that!"

"No, it's OK. I'll do it. Would you like to come over to the house on Thursday night at about 7PM?"

"Will Seok-Young and Mee-Yon be there?"

"No, it'll just be you and me. You'll get your own private lesson."

A wide smile crossed her lips, and she nodded. "Thanks, Uncle Ji Hoo!" and she threw her arms around him in a hug.

Eun-Jeong prepared to leave again, but then Ji Hoo spoke. "Oh, did you have a certain instrument in mind that you want to learn to play? Do you own one?"

"Well, no. And I'm not sure… I was kind of hoping I could just try some out maybe. But it should probably be a simple one… Which one is the easiest?"

"Well, I'd say piano and the acoustic guitar are fairly simple instruments to learn…"

"Hm, guitar…," Eun-Jeong smiled to herself, "…that sounds interesting…"

"Guitar it is. And I have one you can use," Ji Hoo said.

Eun-Jeong smiled and thanked him, and they bid one another goodbye.


The next morning at school…

Park Jung-Ho's parents were already there waiting—and bickering—when Jan Di and Ji Hoo arrived. They grew silent when the Yoons arrived, and the Yoons and the Parks stared at one another and waited to be called in—in tense, uncomfortable silence. Mrs. Park kept shooting dirty looks at Jan Di. Jan Di turned away and attempted to ignore it, and Ji Hoo squeezed her hand. Coach Park shot one at Ji Hoo, and he simply turned away, with a sigh…

Joon Pyo met with the couples individually and then together, and he informed them that he had already met with the boys.

Mrs. Park was livid, and she started attacking the Yoons, particularly Jan Di. Mrs. Park snipped at Jan Di and accused Seok-Young of being poorly raised, and Ji Hoo strongly cautioned her. And then Mrs. Park and Coach Park started bickering amongst themselves when Coach Park didn't back her up and also defended Jan Di. And then Mrs. Park accused Coach Park of making eyes at Jan Di. Ji Hoo gave a sharp exhale and mumbled under his breath that he was sort of in agreement with that one…

Ji Hoo and Jan Di were quickly becoming enraged themselves—more so than they already had been—but they were doing their best to remain polite and maintain their composure. That became more difficult for them—especially Ji Hoo—when the situation with Mee-Yon and Jung-Ho was brought up.

Ji Hoo had nearly lost it when Joon Pyo informed them in private of what his son had told him about the night of the dance. When the argument grew heated, Joon Pyo commanded all of them to shut up—to restore order to the room—and they all quickly grew silent.

After a long discussion, Joon Pyo decided that Park Jung-Ho would be given a lengthy suspension and that his future at Shinwha would be probationary. The Parks protested this, but Joon Pyo cautioned them that Jung-Ho was on extremely thin ice after attempting to coerce—and practically assaulting—his niece and then bullying his nephew and insulting his family.

Ji Hoo had spoken with Joon Pyo, and he hadn't wanted Jan Di to know about the things that Jung-Ho had said about her and Mee-Yon, but it had come out anyway.

Joon Pyo determined that, for Seok-Young, his parents would decide his punishment. And Park Jung-Ho was ordered to deliver an apology to the Yoons. Mrs. Park again insisted that it was unfair that Seok-Young did not have to apologize, and Joon Pyo again reminded her of the seriousness of her son's actions and warned her that next time he would not be so forgiving… But ultimately, Seok-Young agreed to apologize, only for the hitting, which he should not have done. And Jan Di and Ji Hoo expressed that they were proud of him for doing so.


Jung-Ho was brought before the Yoons. Jan Di and Ji Hoo felt their rising anger at the mere sight of him.

Jung-Ho deeply bowed before Jan Di and Ji Hoo. They stood there stone-faced, as Joon Pyo and the Parks looked on.

"Mianhada, mianhada…," Jung-Ho apologized. And then he glanced up at the Yoons.

Ji Hoo held tight to Jan Di—in attempt at comforting her—for he could tell that she was practically unraveling inside.

"Don't…you ever…go near our daughter again…," Ji Hoo warned in a chilling tone of voice.

Jung-Ho swallowed hard and nodded, keeping his head low.


After the meeting, Jan Di and Ji Hoo walked together down the hall. Ji Hoo had his arm around Jan Di. They were utterly spent. Ji Hoo expressed to Jan Di that what was said about her was complete nonsense, but she was more concerned with what was said about Mee-Yon…

Ji Hoo and Jan Di were furious about what had happened with Mee-Yon, and it had taken everything in Jan Di's arsenal to calm Ji Hoo when he found out. Though Jung-Ho had been punished and had apologized, Jan Di was not quite satisfied…

After the meeting, Coach Park had gone back to the natatorium for gym class, and Mrs. Park had gone home.

Jan Di noticed Coach Park teaching gym class in the natatorium, and she stopped. "Hold on a second, Ji Hoo-yah," she said. Ji Hoo watched as Jan Di walked resolutely up to Coach Park, her fists balled tightly at her sides. She stood before him, glaring.

"Oh, Jan Di… Look, I'm so sorry about everything…what my son did and said… Trust me; he's going to be severely punished at home, too. And I'm sorry that things got so heated in there…I…"

But before he could finish what he was saying Jan Di shoved Coach Park's chest hard with both hands, knocking him into the pool. Coach Park came up sputtering, and all his students looked on in shock—pointing, snickering, and commenting amongst themselves…

Jan Di walked off and returned to Ji Hoo. Ji Hoo was slightly stunned, though he knew he truly shouldn't be surprised by any of Jan Di's actions at this point.

"Do you feel better, my love?" Ji Hoo asked, putting his arm around Jan Di and leading her away.

Jan Di sighed. "A little bit…" She knew it was childish, but it had been rather cathartic. But then her thoughts immediately returned to Mee-Yon, and she felt that familiar pit in her stomach all over again.

"But then again, not really…," she said sadly. Ji Hoo gave her a kiss on top of her head and held her tighter, as they walked out of the school together.


That evening…

Mee-Yon had returned home, and her parents were there waiting for her on the couch.

"Um, hi, Eomma… Appa… What's wrong? Am I in trouble or something…?"

"No, Mee-Yon-ah," Jan Di said gently.

"Come sit down, sweetheart," Ji Hoo added, and he gently patted the spot next to him on the couch. Mee-Yon took a seat between her parents, and she rested her hands in her lap.

Jan Di and Ji Hoo looked to each other, and then Ji Hoo spoke. "Sweetheart, why didn't you tell your eomma and me about what happened at the dance?"

Mee-Yon gaped. "How did you…?"

"Goo Jun-Seo told your uncle Joon Pyo."

Mee-Yon nodded, "Oh."

"Why did you keep it from us, Mee-Yon-ah?" Jan Di asked.

"Well," Mee-Yon sniffled, "I guess…I was a bit…ashamed…and I knew that you and Appa would make a big deal out of it, but I just wanted to forget about it…"

Jan Di nodded.

"I understand that, Mee-Yon, but you didn't need to feel ashamed. You did nothing wrong. And please don't keep something like that from us again…," Ji Hoo gently urged. "That is something important that you should tell us about. Though I truly hope not, if anything like that ever happens again, or anyone ever tries to hurt you or bother you, please tell us and we will take care of it."

Mee-Yon hung her head and squeezed her hands together. She gave a little sniffle and nodded. "Yes, Appa."

Mee-Yon began to tremble lightly. Ji Hoo and Jan Di each put a hand tenderly upon her shoulders. "Eomma…, Appa… I'm sorry!"

"It's OK, my lotus. You did nothing wrong. Just, please talk to us about things like that…"

Mee-Yon nodded. "Yes, I will… I promise, Appa."

Mee-Yon felt moisture building up behind her eyes.

"What is it, sweetheart?" Jan Di asked.

"I…I…just thought he was nice…and that he really liked me… I was just excited that a boy actually liked me…"

Ji Hoo clenched his jaw, and Jan Di began to Mee-Yon's hair.

"Oh, Mee-Yon-ah," Jan Di began softly "You are a sweet, wonderful, beautiful girl…and one day—very soon, I'm sure—you are going to find a boy that will like you and care for you and appreciate you the way you deserve…"

"Yes, you deserve someone who will treat you like a princess, my lotus, and you shouldn't settle for anything less…your appa will allow nothing less than that…"

"Gomawo, Appa, Eomma… But you have to say those things because you're my parents…"

"We love you so much, Mee-Yon," Ji Hoo said, "But we're not just saying those things…"

Jan Di nodded. "We truly believe that you are going to find someone wonderful, Mee-Yon-ah…"

Mee-Yon felt her eyes begin to moisten again, and finally she gave in to the tears… It broke Ji Hoo and Jan Di's hearts.

"Eomma… Appa…," Mee-Yon lamented.

Ji Hoo took her in his arms and held her, and Jan Di moved in closer. Ji Hoo drew Jan Di in, as well, and both parents embraced their youngest child in a group hug.

Ji Hoo wore a pained expression as he held her there. "This is all my fault, my lotus…," he whispered. "…Appa is so sorry that he failed you…," Ji Hoo gently spoke, as he her hair, "I let you go out with that boy and you got hurt… I didn't protect you…"

Mee-Yon pulled back, and Ji Hoo wiped away the path of her tears.

"It's not your fault, Appa. You couldn't have known that he was a jerk… I didn't. And Goo Jun-Seo stuck up for me, after all. He even danced with me," Mee-Yon smiled faintly.

"Yes, we heard about how he intervened. We didn't know about the dancing part, though..."

"Yeah, it was really sweet of him, actually..." A tender smile crossed Mee-Yon's lips. "And I did actually end up having a good time that night..."

Ji Hoo and Jan Di exchanged a glance. "We're so glad, Mee-Yon-ah," Jan Di said, and Ji Hoo agreed. And they pulled her in for another embrace.


Two Days Later…

Eun-Jeong hadn't seen Hyun-Joo around for a couple days. Maybe he was avoiding her… Not that she could blame him after the way Seok-Young had treated him the day before… The thing was…she was kind of relieved she hadn't seen him around, for Eun-Jeong had decided that she needed to discourage Hyun-Joo from pursuing her. She didn't want to be leading him on…

After all, there was one boy—and one boy alone—who was in her heart right now. And even though Seok-Young didn't feel the same way as her, it wouldn't be fair to Hyun-Joo…

Eun-Jeong gave a heavy sigh, as she walked down the hall of the school. Being in love was so exhausting… It was like running a marathon every single day, but with worse after effects…


"Hey!" Seok-Young appeared—as if out of nowhere—before Eun-Jeong. He was seriously like a ghost sometimes!

Eun-Jeong instinctively clutched at her chest in surprise, and then she looked at Seok-Young. He was beaming at her with that flawless smile of his—the one that made her weak in the knees—but she planned to hold onto her anger awhile longer…

Eun-Jeong composed herself and simply gave him a polite nod before continuing along her course. And he began walking in stride with her.

"Gomawo for the homework," he said, as he walked alongside her.

She turned ever so slightly and nodded again.

"I take it you're still mad at me…"

Eun-Jeong shrugged. "No, I'm not mad..."

Seok-Young looked at her—studying her—as they walked along. She kept her eyes forward.

"Are you sure about that?" he grinned and nudged her shoulder slightly with his own. The playful, innocent touch felt electric to Eun-Jeong, but she pushed the feeling deep down.

She nodded again—still facing ahead—as they walked together. Seok-Young released a heavy sigh and also turned his eyes forward.

"I'm really sorry for being a jerk yesterday, Eun-Jeong-ah…"

She glanced over slightly, and he almost wore a pout upon his full, perfect lips. It was so adorable that it took everything she had to refrain from going to pieces.

"It's fine, Oppa."

Seok-Young tightened his mouth. They walked a few more feet, and Seok-Young glanced over at Eun-Jeong again. "You look pretty today…," he said, giving her a disarming smile.

Eun-Jeong cast him a quick glance and then turned away again, shaking her head. "Gomawo," she replied, attempting to remain expressionless—though it was not easy…

Oh, why does he have to be so cute?! It would be so much easier to keep freezing him out if not for that…

"What do you want, Oppa…?" she asked bluntly.

"I want you to forgive me..."

"I forgive you, Oppa," she automatically replied.

"See, now I don't really believe you. You're not acting like yourself…"

Eun-Jeong tightened and silently continued walking.

"I know that I was a huge jerk, and I don't really have the right to ask this…but I know what a wonderful, forgiving person you are… So, l am hoping that you can forgive me…"

"Like I said, I forgive you," was her mechanical response. "Are you calling me a liar, Oppa?"

Seok-Young released a heavy sigh. "No," but he still found it hard to believe.

"So, where is…um, what's-his-name…?" his eyes wandered the halls.

"You mean Cho Hyun-Joo?" she looked over at him.

"Yeah, him."

They continued along their path—that being Eun-Jeong's path; Seok-Young was simply following. Seok-Young kept looking over at Eun-Jeong along the way, but she did her best to focus her eyes ahead.

Eun-Jeong shrugged. "I don't know where he is, probably in class. And don't be condescending, Oppa. You know very well what his name is."

Seok-Young nodded. "I'm sorry. And I'll apologize to him if you want…"

"That won't be necessary. You should probably just stay away from him," and Eun-Jeong began to speed up. She quickly walked ahead of him.

Seok-Young clenched his jaw. "Wait!" he quickly caught up to her and grasped her arm. Then, he moved to stand in front of her. Taking the other arm, as well, he stood there blocking her path. "Wait, please…," he asked, more gently this time.

"Oppa, please move," she weakly demanded—looking everywhere but at him. For, despite her anger with him, her heart was doing that fluttering thing again…

Seok-Young slowly slid both hands up her arms—Eun-Jeong felt goosebumps begin to peek through—and they finally rested upon her shoulders. "What do I need to do to get you to forgive me? Tell me, please…" He looked deep into her eyes, and she looked into his—realizing how incredibly easy it was for her to get lost in them… His own eyes were sincere and almost desperate...

"Oppa, really…it's fine. I really do forgive you. So, please…"

He gave a quick shake of the head and continued to gently grip her shoulders, giving them a light squeeze. Her body began to subtly tremble…

"I have my pride, Eun-Jeong-ah, but I will get down and beg in front of the whole school if you want… And you know how I hate calling attention to myself…that's how important it is to me…"

Eun-Jeong gaped, and she wondered if he would actually go through with it if she said she wanted him to. "That won't be necessary…," she shook her head.

He still had a hold of her shoulders, not letting her leave… "What is it Oppa?!" she demanded, when she noticed her resolve beginning to wane.

"There's something I need to tell you…" He seemed a bit nervous.

"What is it?" she bluntly asked.

"Not here. In private…" Suddenly, he grasped onto her wrist and gave it a gentle tug, "Come with me…"

"No!" she exclaimed, wrenching her wrist from his hold. She was sure that whatever he had to say, her heart couldn't take it right now…

He stared at her—dumbfounded—for a moment.

"I don't have the time. I need to go," she said, and then she walked off on him.


Later that afternoon…

Seok-Young had caught up with Eun-Jeong again in the hall, insisting he needed to speak with her in private.

He certainly is persistent…, she thought.

Eun-Jeong blew off Seok-Young once again and prepared to leave, but then she noticed Hyun-Joo standing a few meters away. Seok-Young also noticed him.

Hyun-Joo and Seok-Young exchanged a brief, polite greeting, and then Hyun-Joo approached Eun-Jeong.

"Eun-Jeong-ah, could I talk to you?" Hyun-Joo asked, seriously. And she nodded.

I asked first… Seok-Young thought bitterly to himself. He took a few steps away from them and leaned against a pole. He folded his arms.

Is he really planning to just stand there and watch?! She wondered.

Eun-Jeong exhaled sharply, "Oppa, do you mind?" her tone had a slight edge to it.

Seok-Young tightened his mouth. He looked to Hyun-Joo, and then to Eun-Jeong. He sighed and gave Eun-Jeong a last lingering look before turning and walking away.

Eun-Jeong released a short burst of air, as she watched Seok-Young walk off. Then, she turned back to Hyun-Joo. "I'm sorry, Hyun-Joo. Good morning," she said listlessly.

"Good morning, Eun-Jeong-ah. There's uh something I wanted to ask you, but before I do…there's something else I need to know…"

"Yes, what is it, Cho Hyun-Joo?"

Hyun-Joo cleared his throat.


The hall was dying down, but there were still plenty of people around. Hyun-Joo gently led Eun-Jeong aside, to a bit more secluded area. Eun-Jeong looked at him curiously.

"…Well," Hyun-Joo took a deep breath, "You know that I like you, Eun-Jeong-ah…right?" He placed a hand upon her shoulder, awaiting confirmation. Eun-Jeong stared at her boots and gave a nod.

"Well, I was wondering if you would…go out on a date with me…"

Eun-Jeong's lips parted slightly, and she met his eyes. She had kind of expected him to ask at some point…

"But first, before I officially ask you outI need to know…," he mustered his courage, "…if there is something going on between you and Yoon Seok-Young…" It was as if he could barely get the words out…

Eun-Jeong glanced away again. "Something between Yoon Seok-Young and me…?" she uttered, almost in a daze. And she pondered that, as if it was a very difficult question.

Hyun-Joo nodded and stared at her, with anxious eyes. "Yes, it seems like there could be…something there… Is there…?" he asked in a despondent tone.


Eun-Jeong paused again to reflect, and suddenly she was off in her own world… A montage of images and memories played before her eyes, and a smile tugged at the corners of her lips.

But then she grew somber. As much as she would love for there to be…something…between Seok-Young and her…there wasn't… And there probably never would be… She needed to accept that.


Eun-Jeong blinked a few times, refusing to give in to the stubborn tears that screamed for release. And she looked away, squinting slightly.

Hyun-Joo studied her.

"It's just that…he's around you a lot," he continued, "And he doesn't seem to like me, or like my being around you…"

Eun-Jeong wearily turned to face Hyun-Joo. "No," she said directly, "…There's nothing between Seok-Young and me. He's just like a big brother to me…," she added.

Even saying it herself made Eun-Jeong's heart ache…

"…That's why I call him Oppa…," she muttered, dismally, "And…it's not that he doesn't like you…he's just…protective of me..."

Hyun-Joo gave a visible sigh of relief. "Oh good," he smiled.

"So, do you like me, too, Eun-Jeong-ah…? Would you like to see a movie with me Saturday?"

Eun-Jeong simply stared at Hyun-Joo, suddenly unable to form words.


Seok-Young had walked away—out of respect for Eun-Jeong and to give her some semblance of privacy—but he'd remained near. But when Hyun-Joo took Eun-Jeong off in a corner, Seok-Young nearly lost it. And he followed—staying out of sight, of course. Seok-Young felt ridiculous and pathetic, but he couldn't stand not knowing what was going on, and he needed to ensure that she would be OK…

And Seok-Young had overheard the conversation between Eun-Jeong and Hyun-Joo…

After Eun-Jeong said that he was like a brother to her, Seok-Young's stomach did a somersault, and he left. He didn't want to hear anything further…

It was ironic… He'd said the same thing to her, and though he hadn't meant it as an insult—but rather, as an indication of how much he cared for her—now he knew how it felt… And he realized that it hurt far worse than her slap…


Seok-Young blindly walked off, his steps growing quicker and quicker as he proceeded…

Seok-Young was deep—and becoming hopelessly lost—in the forest of his thoughts, and he wasn't paying much attention. This caused him to nearly collide with Yeong-Hui, who advanced from the opposite direction.

Yeong-Hui put out a hand to stop Seok-Young. "Ya, where's the fire, Oppa?"

"Oh, Yeong-Hui…," Seok-Young blinked and forced himself to focus upon the petite So twin before him. "Mianhae, Yeong-Hui. I was just in a hurry…"

He gave a quick bow and sidestepped her, but Yeong-Hui maneuvered herself in front of him again. He looked down at her curiously. She had folded her arms across her chest and was glaring daggers at him.

"I suppose you know everything…," Seok-Young tightened his mouth, "Otherwise you wouldn't be looking at me like you want to kill me…"

Yeong-Hui cocked a brow. "I don't want to kill you, Oppa. I wouldn't take it quite that far…"

Seok-Young released a short burst of air through his nose and shook his head.

"But hey you!" she gave him a few sharp pokes in the chest, "I'm mad at you, Oppa! Why do you keep torturing my sister?!"

Seok-Young sighed and stuffed his hands into his pockets. "I'm not trying to torture Eun-Jeong. You don't understand. I've just been trying to tell her something…"

"Tell her what?"

Seok-Young cleared his throat. "Well, it's kind of personal…"

"Personal, huh?" Yeong-Hui placed her hands upon her hips. "Why don't you just tell me first, and I'll decide if I'm OK with you telling Eun-Jeong… I can't allow you to make my sister cry again…," she folded her arms tight across her chest once more.

Seok-Young's lips parted, and he cast his eyes downward. He absolutely hated knowing that he'd made Eun-Jeong cry…

"Well, I appreciate your concern for Eun-Jeong, but it's really something that I want to say to just her, if you don't mind, Yeong-Hui…"

"Well, at least tell me if it is going to make her happy or sad? If it's going to make her sad, then you should tell me, and I'll decide what to do about it…"

"Well, I hope that it will make her happy…"

Seok-Young had thought so, anyway, but now…he wasn't so sure... Perhaps she liked this Cho Hyun-Joo guy…

Yeong-Hui grinned, "Good. It better! Or else I'm coming for you, Oppa!" she pointed a finger at him.

Seok-Young gave a light chuckle. Then, his laughter faded into an amused smile, and he affectionately shook his head at her. "Deal," he held out his hand to Yeong-Hui and they shook.

Then, the two parted ways.


Later that day…

Eun-Jeong walked alone in the hall between classes. She had a test that day and was trying to get some extra studying in, so she was attempting to read while she walked.

It was not her best plan ever…

Her nose buried in the textbook, she began heading straight for a steel beam…

All of a sudden Eun-Jeong's face was inches from the beam. She gasped when she realized this, and—just as she put up her hands to block the impact—she felt someone grab her by the arm and pull her off to the side.

It was Seok-Young.

And she was currently pressed up against his chest... Her heart sped up at the feel of their bodies being so close… And in that moment she forgot entirely about being angry with him.

"Oppa!" She clutched her book against her chest.

"Are you alright?" he asked—with genuine concern—as he held her arms lightly.

His eyes held hers captive, and she nodded. "Y-ye... Gomawo…"

The incident seemed to ease the tension between them a bit…

Seok-Young gave her a lopsided grin, "You need to pay more attention to where you're going, Eun-Jeong-ah… I don't want to see you hurt…," he looked into her eyes again, and she swallowed hard.

Eun-Jeong pulled away and cast her eyes downward. "Yes, I guess I'm not coordinated enough to walk and read… I probably shouldn't do that…"

"Probably not," Seok-Young chuckled. "So, I guess it was a good thing I was here…"

Eun-Jeong smirked. "Why are you here, anyway, Oppa? Don't you have somewhere else to be? Aren't you extremely busy?"

Seok-Young shrugged. "I suppose so."

"And how is it that you keep showing up at the perfect moment? Are you following me?" she cocked a brow, "Have you become a stalker now, Oppa?" she smirked.

Seok-Young's mouth dropped open. "A stalker?! I'm not a stalker…," he muttered, with a slight pout.

Eun-Jeong stifled a giggle, which made Seok-Young a bit hopeful, but then she immediately grew serious again. And she put the face of stone back on.

"Well, as I said before... I need to talk to you, alone… Do you have time now?" he asked.

Eun-Jeong reluctantly agreed, and they went to the stairwell.


"So, what is so important, Oppa?"

He turned away from her—shoving his hands into his pockets—and began to pace.

"I do have to get to class eventually, you know, Oppa…," she muttered.

"What's the deal with you and Cho Hyun-Joo?" he finally blurted out, as he looked out over the balcony.

"Is that what you dragged me out here to talk about?"

It had been a strange day… First, Hyun-Joo had asked about Seok-Young, and now Seok-Young was asking about him…

Seok-Young turned back to look at her and silently waited for her response.

Eun-Jeong sighed, "The deal, huh? Why do you care what the deal is, Oppa?"

"Well…because…," Seok-Young opened his mouth to speak but then closed it. He glanced away and then back again, and his brow wrinkled.

"…Because I'm your Oppa…," he said, with a tender sadness, as though it should have been obvious... His words were sincere—sweet and innocent—almost childlike… His words—and the way he said them—she had to admit, they got to her…

But then he added, "It's my job to care…and to look out for you…"

His comment made Eun-Jeong feel conflicted. She had to admit that she wanted him to…care…but not because it was his job—and certainly not because it was his job as a brother

"It's not your job," she said bluntly. And her statement cut Seok-Young like a knife...

Seok-Young's lips parted, and he gave her a defeated nod.

"So, the deal is that Hyun-Joo asked me out…," Eun-Jeong informed him, as she stared down at her boots.

Seok-Young frowned. "Oh," was all he managed to say.

"…But you don't need to worry about me, Oppa…," she said in a melancholy voice, "…Because he's a nice guy…"

Seok-Young felt as though his insides were slowly crumbling like a demolished building. But he dismissed it and put on a smile.

"I see. Well, that's nice, Eun-Jeong-ah…," he replied. Though he tried to prevent it, his voice dripped with painful sarcasm.

Seok-Young was clearly showing signs of jealousy, and Eun-Jeong was ashamed to admit to herself that it brought her some kind of satisfaction… And that made her feel sick in the head… What was wrong with her, anyway? She shouldn't enjoy making someone jealous!


But—in a twisted way—his jealousy made her feel a bit better about herself… And it gave her hope…

"So, you're going out with him then?" Seok-Young's tone was bitter, like the taste of extra strong coffee.

It was stupid to play these games, but she was desperate…

Eun-Jeong pondered for a long moment, casting her chocolate eyes skyward. She placed a finger to her dimpled chin. "Hmm, I haven't decided yet… I told him I'd think about it, and I'll have to talk to my appa and eomma first, of course…"

"Don't go out with him, Eun-Jeong," Seok-Young stated directly.

"You can't tell me what to do, Oppa!" was her childish retort.

Then, Eun-Jeong sighed and decided to be a bit more mature about it. "And why shouldn't I go out with him? Give me one good reason, Oppa!"

"Because he's all wrong for you..."

"What do you know about who is wrong or right for me?!"

"I know; I just know... You have to trust me, Eun-Jeong-ah. I know you so well…and because…," Seok-Young sighed, "…And because…"


Seok-Young shoved his hands into his pockets. He wanted to shout out that he could give her plenty of reasons why she shouldn't go out with Cho Hyun-Joo, but the words simply weren't coming…

Seok-Young had taken his father's words to heart, and he had every intention of telling Eun-Jeong how he felt. But the song wasn't ready… He'd wanted to wait until the song was ready to express his feelings for her, but there was this new complication now…

Having this new sense of urgency, Seok-Young considered just taking action. Girls liked that, right? The spontaneous thing…

Perhaps he should just take her in his arms and kiss her, like he'd been wanting to for weeks… Or, maybe he'd do that thing that Uncle Woo Bin had suggested… Uncle Woo Bin had guaranteed that it would work, after all… Oh, what was it called…? The 5-Step Kill?

Wait, which step is first…?!

Seok-Young's head was in a fog, and he suddenly couldn't remember a thing! He inwardly groaned. His practically flawless memory was failing him now—of all times—and he couldn't recall how exactly it went…

Oh yeah, that's right… He finally remembered. But then he chickened out…


"Oppa…? Helloo…," Eun-Jeong was calling out Seok-Young's name and waving at him, in order to get his attention. He seemed to have spaced out on her.

Seok-Young finally returned to reality. He tucked his hands into his pockets and moved in closer to Eun-Jeong. "Well, do you like him…?"

She considered this. "Well, he is a really sweet guy…," she said, putting a finger to her chin. Sadly, it was all she could really come up with to say about Cho Hyun-Joo and how she felt about him…

Eun-Jeong swore she caught an eye roll from Seok-Young. "What?!" she demanded.

"Yeah, a sweet guy who doesn't even know who you are…"

Eun-Jeong groaned in frustration. "That was an honest mistake! Not everyone has your freaky attention to detail!"

"Freaky?" Seok-Young let out an exasperated sigh. "That's the most basic detail to know about someone, their name…"

Eun-Jeong scoffed, wondering if he would ever let that go… They would probably be old and gray and in the nursing home, and he would still be bringing it up…

Seok-Young took another few steps forward. "And I don't think it's freaky for a guy to know all the little details about the girl he likes… I do…"

Eun-Jeong blinked rapidly. Something about the way he said that and the way he was looking at her now was setting Eun-Jeong's heart aflame…

"Op-pa…," she muttered.

Suddenly, Ji Hoo's advice about seizing opportunities came rushing back to Seok-Young. Garnering his courage, he slowly leaned in…

Eun-Jeong's lovely eyes went wide, as Seok-Young began leaning in and downward slightly, as if he was going to…

"O-o-ppa… Wh-what are you doing…?" she stammered.

He simply tossed her that perfect smile… Oh, what was he doing to her?!

Then, his smile faded, and he grew serious again. He began to lean in once more, as if on an important mission. Eun-Jeong felt her heart pounding within her chest, as his lips inched closer and closer to hers…

Seok-Young stopped when their bangs lightly brushed. "I just want to see you happy, Eun-Jeong-ah…," he whispered.

"O-ppa…"

Seok-Young took a deep breath. "…What I wanted to tell you was… Well, about what I said before…when you told me that you liked me…it wasn't really…"

"O-ppa…," she uttered again. Could this truly be happening…?

"Eun-Jeong-ah…," he spoke her name tenderly, "I…"

And then he seemed to give up on words… He rested his forehead against hers and held her arms. Eun-Jeong was trembling all over, and she felt as though her heart would leap right out of her chest…

Seok-Young must have realized this, for he pulled back slightly—much to Eun-Jeong's disappointment—and he held her at arm's length, caressing her slender arms up and down. She remained frozen, simply gazing into his eyes…

Then, Seok-Young's hands stilled, and he held her there. He began to lean in once more. His lips were mere inches from hers now…

I can't believe this is happening… she thought, in complete wonderment. And Eun-Jeong's eyelashes fluttered shut in preparation…


But just before their lips could touch, Seok-Young's phone went off. And neither of them could hide their disappointment…

Seok-Young released a heavy sigh, and it seemed as though he was having some kind of inner struggle about responding to it.

Ding! His phone went off again.

"Aren't you going to get that?" she asked.

"I don't need to right now," and he turned back to her.

"No, you should. It might be important. Go ahead..."

He sighed and pulled out his phone. He silently looked at the message and then put it away.

"Eun-Jeong-ah, I'm sorry. I don't want to, but I need to go…"

She nodded in understanding. "Um, was it…Gun Mi Na?"

Seok-Young nodded. "Yes, it was Gun Mi Na. How did you know that?" he asked.

She shrugged. "Just a hunch," she replied, rather dejected, "…I've…seen you with her…"

Seok-Young released his breath. "Yes, we're rehearsing a duet together," he informed.

"Oh," Eun-Jeong nodded.

"Mianhae, Eun-Jeong-ah… I really have to go, but can we...talk more later on…?"

She didn't respond to his question but simple said, "You better hurry…," and motioned for him to go.

He sighed and ran a hand along her arm, "Eun-Jeong-ah…," he soothed.

But she pulled back, leaving him slightly stunned.

Eun-Jeong was confused, hurt, and angry… He had nearly kissed her...which would have been a dream come true… It was bad enough that they were interrupted, but now he was running off to see some other girl… And her chest ached at the thought…

"Can I see you later?" he asked hopefully, as he held open the door to the stairwell exit.

Eun-Jeong's rational mind told her that she should just talk to Seok-Young about Mi Na, rather than jump to conclusions. After all, he'd just told her that they were rehearsing together. So, he had a legitimate reason for going to see her. But Eun-Jeong wondered if that was all there was to it…

She recalled the way Mi Na had been touching Seok-Young before—that time she'd seen them together—and pulling him along with her… And she recalled how he'd simply…let her…

And Eun-Jeong's indignation and jealousy kicked in…

"I'm busy later," she said abruptly.

"Oh," he nodded slowly, "Alright…well, I guess I'll see you soon, then…," he gave her a little wave and turned to leave.

She recalled his earlier statement that had led to their near kiss…

Eun-Jeong scoffed, "Details, huh, Oppa?" There was pain in her tone.

Seok-Young turned back to look at her over his shoulder.

The image of Seok-Young and Mi Na together forcibly popped into Eun-Jeong's head again. And then ran wild…

"You're absolutely right, Oppa! A guy should know details about a girl he likes… And…and…I'm sure you've learned everything there is to know about Gun Mi Na by now!" she blurted out, clenching her fists hard at her sides.

Seok-Young stared at her, utterly confused.

"About Gun Mi Na? What are you talking about?"

She looked away, blinking back the hot tears that were beginning to form. "Never mind, Oppa… Just go. You don't want to keep her waiting..."

"Eun-Jeong-ah, it's not what you think… You don't under—" he began.

"Just go!" she shouted, cutting him off.

Seok-Young released a heavy sigh and turned to leave.

"Maybe I will just go out with Cho Hyun-Joo!" Eun-Jeong shouted out, once Seok-Young's back was to her. She'd only said it impulsively, out of anger and jealousy…

Seok-Young turned around again. He couldn't deny that her statement hurt… He tightened his mouth. "Well, if he's as nice as you say, then maybe you should…," Seok-Young replied, bitterly.

"Fine, maybe I will…," she replied haughtily.

"Fine…you just do that…," Seok-Young clenched his jaw and headed toward the door to the stairwell.

He took a few steps before turning back, "Oh, but make sure and wear a nametag when he picks you up for your date!" Seok-Young called out over his shoulder, and then he was gone.

Eun-Jeong's mouth hung open. She clenched her fists tight and groaned in frustration. She just wanted to scream, and she nearly did…

Ahh, you're so frustrating, Yoon Seok-Young!

She desperately wanted to rush after Seok-Young and tell him off again or perhaps slap that smart mouth of his again. But no, she needed to control her temper…

And really, it was all her fault…she shouldn't have gotten so jealous and accused him…

Eun-Jeong squatted down and leaned against the stone wall of the balcony. She buried her face in her hands and cried…


As he stormed off, Seok-Young groaned and clenched his forehead. He felt absolutely horrible. It was his own fault that Eun-Jeong was going to go out with another guy, so he had no right to be jealous—and certainly no right to be so mean to her about it… It just hurt so badly to think of Eun-Jeong with another guy that those words had just flown out of his mouth…

He should have just clearly confessed his feelings… But what was the point now? If she was just going to go out with someone else, then why should he even bother…?

He should have told her how he felt sooner, he supposed, and this wouldn't have happened… If he had only told her when she confessed to him, then she wouldn't be going out with another guy now…

Seok-Young, you big dumb jerk…, he lamented.

Why did they have to keep hurting each other? Why did it have to be this way? Why did it have to be so hard?


Two Days Later…

Eun-Jeong arrived at the Yoon house. She poised her finger at the bell, but before she could ring it, the door opened, and Seok-Young was there. They nearly collided.

"O-o-ppa…what are you doing here?" she stammered, taken off-guard. She hadn't expected him to to be there, and they hadn't really spoken much since their almost kiss and the argument over Mi Na's text…

Eun-Jeong felt her embarrassment and shame creep up once more…

There was a brief, awkward silence, and then Seok-Young grinned. "I live here, silly. What are you doing here?" he teased.

Eun-Jeong smirked, relieved for the lightened mood. "Well, you're not a very good host, Oppa…"

"Oh, I'm sorry," he gave a short laugh. "I suppose that was a bit rude. Come in…," he ushered her in, his hand lightly grazing her back as he did so. Eun-Jeong felt a tingling throughout her body.

Seok-Young cleared his throat. "So, what brings you here…?"

"I'm not here to see you, Oppa, if that's what you were wondering!" she said haughtily.

"Oh, well...," he rubbed the back of his neck, "Mee-Yon isn't here…"

"I know. I'm not here to see Mee-Yon, either."

Seok-Young looked confused. "Well, then…why…?"

"I'm here to see your appa, actually."

"My appa? Why?"

"…None of your business, Oppa!"

Seok-Young sighed. "Alright, then. I was just leaving, actually… So, I'll see you later...?"

She nodded. "Sure, Oppa, see you!" she replied casually, and she slapped him on the arm.

Seok-Young grinned and shook his head before taking his leave.


Ji Hoo led Eun-Jeong to his study/music room. He pulled out an acoustic guitar for her and for himself from the closet. Then, he took a seat, also offering Eun-Jeong one. Ji Hoo began to lightly strum the guitar.

"Needs some tuning… It's been awhile since I've played," he said with a smile, as he began twisting the pegs. Ji Hoo did a quick tune up, and then his fingers began to fly over the strings.

Eun-Jeong sat there, watching her uncle with a smile upon her face. "Now I see where Seok-Young gets his talent," she said, "You two make it look so easy…"

Ji Hoo smiled. "Well, Seok-Young was always a natural musician…," he commented, "But that's not to say he hasn't put a lot of effort into it."

She nodded.

"OK, Eun-Jeong-ah. First, I'll teach you the basics…," Ji Hoo began.

Ji Hoo identified the parts of the guitar for her: the headstock, the tuning pegs, the bridge, the neck, the fretboard, the sound hole, and the pickups. And then he showed her how to hold the guitar, placing it on her lap. "You hold it mainly with your leg and cradle it against your body…," he instructed. And then he adjusted her hand position for her.

"Now, each string represents a note…," Ji Hoo identified the note for each string and gave her a mnemonic device to help her remember. Then, he showed her how to place her fingers between the frets and how to move between them. "Would you like to try fretting?"

"Huh? What's that?"

Ji Hoo grinned, "I'll show you."

And he explained chords to her, as well as the importance of tuning.

"Why don't you try strumming now?" Ji Hoo suggested, and he demonstrated, "Now you."

Eun-Jeong nodded, and she began to tickle the strings with her fingers. Eventually she had worked into a good, solid strum.

"Good job," Ji Hoo said, and Eun-Jeong beamed at him.

"So, may I ask, Eun-Jeong-ah…? What spiked your interest in learning to play an instrument?"

"Well…," Eun-Jeong stared down at the instrument in her arms, "…I don't really have a thing, Uncle Ji Hoo…"

She looked up at him.

"A thing?"

"Yes," she gently put the guitar down for a moment.


"…Yeong-Hui is really smart and is an excellent student. And Jae-Jin is good at pottery, like Appa. Eomma is into photography, and she is also pretty good with pottery. Ae-Jeong loves animals and wants to be a veterinarian when she grows up. But as for me…I don't really have something I'm passionate about…"

Ji Hoo nodded in understanding.

Eun-Jeong paused for a moment before going on. "I stink at pottery; I mean really stink, Uncle Ji Hoo! I'm like a destructive force…," she gave a little laugh, and Ji Hoo also chuckled.

"Appa must be so disappointed in me…"

Ji Hoo gave Eun-Jeong a tender smile. "Of course not, sweetheart. He could never be. You and your siblings have always been your appa's pride and joy."

Eun-Jeong smiled. "Thank you, Uncle Ji Hoo," she bowed her head to him.

"…But everyone seems to have their thing in our little group…except for me… I'm not athletic like Mee-Yon, either. And well, I really know nothing about music, and I know that I'll never ever have even an ounce of the musical talent that you and Seok-Young have…but I thought I could maybe…give it a try…"

Ji Hoo smiled affectionately and put a hand on Eun-Jeong's shoulder. "That's the only way you'll find out what you're passionate about, by giving things a try. And don't sell yourself short, Eun-Jeong-ah. All of those things require practice and dedication. Like I said, even Seok-Young has to practice. But I do hope you find your thing, Eun-Jeong-ah. And I believe you will in time. Perhaps it will be music, after all…," Ji Hoo clapped her on the back and smiled.

Eun-Jeong returned with a wide smile of her own. "Gomawo, Uncle Ji Hoo."

And Ji Hoo continued with the lesson—he and Eun-Jeong playing, talking, and laughing together.


Eun-Jeong was very hopeful that perhaps music could be her thing… She had always been enchanted by Uncle Ji Hoo and Seok-Young's musical abilities—even before her crush on him—and it had always looked like fun to her. There was another reason she wanted to learn, though, one that she definitely did not want to reveal to Uncle Ji Hoo… It was way too embarrassing…

Though it was silly and frivolous, she couldn't deny that she hoped to further connect with Seok-Young through music. She wanted to have something in common with him, something to talk about with him, something they could share together

Perhaps it was a stupid thought, but if she ever hoped to compete with Gun Mi Na for Seok-Young's attention, she needed something… And if she could possibly—someday—become good and manage to…impress…Seok-Young with her musical talent—even in the slightest—well, that would just be the icing on the cake…


Things with Seok-Young had been put on the back-burner, apparently. He had been busy, and so had she…

They'd made up after their fight, but things were still a bit awkward, and nothing further had happened between them… Eun-Jeong was beginning to wonder if it had been some kind of fluke when Seok-Young attempted to kiss her. Perhaps he'd thought better of it and changed his mind…


Eun-Jeong continued having lessons with Ji Hoo when he was available, and she was working very hard. He would always give her homework to practice, and she practiced every night, despite the growing callouses upon her normally silky soft hands.

Ji Hoo started Eun-Jeong off with practicing the notes, and then he gave her a simple song to play. It was very difficult for her at first, but she was getting the hang of it.

One day, after Eun-Jeong progressed, she asked him for a more difficult song. Ji Hoo agreed and pulled out his guitar. He began to finger the strings, and after a brief acoustical intro, he added vocals.

"I didn't know you could sing, too, Uncle Ji Hoo," Eun-Jeong smiled at him.

Ji Hoo chuckled. "Oh, well I don't do it often," he smiled back at her and continued to play.

As Eun-Jeong listened to her uncle—rather passionately—sing the sad love song, entitled, "Because I'm Stupid," she was shocked to discover how familiar it seemed…

The song was beautiful and melodic, and the lyrics seemed to convey exactly what Eun-Jeong had been feeling…

Why had Uncle Ji Hoo chosen this of all songs? Was it just some coincidence, or was he somehow looking straight through her and into her heart…

Why did Seok-Young have to go and take her heart without her permission, anyway?


When Ji Hoo finished playing, he noticed that Eun-Jeong's large, chocolate eyes had filled with tears.

"Oh, what's the matter, sweetheart?" Ji Hoo asked, setting down his guitar and going to her.

Eun-Jeong sniffled, and Ji Hoo reached out to wipe a tear away with his thumb.

"Nothing, Uncle Ji Hoo…it's just…that it was so…beautiful…"

Ji Hoo smiled tenderly at her. "Would you like to learn how to play it?"

She nodded and sat down beside him.


Later that night…

Eun-Jeong sat with her eomma on Eomma's bed. Ga Eul had been put on bedrest for the final weeks of her pregnancy, due to preeclampsia. Though Jan Di had informed them that it was a mild case and should not affect the baby, she wanted to be cautious, and Yi Jeong was certainly not going to take any chances either.

Appa and the entire family had been dutifully caring for Ga Eul. And Eun-Jeong would frequently visit her mother in her room, for Eomma had said she was going stir-crazy being in bed. Eun-Jeong would bring her water or whatever she needed, and she would talk with Ga Eul to keep her company.

Eun-Jeong could tell that her mother had been concerned for her well-being over the past few weeks, so she had done her best to reassure her that she was fine. She didn't want her mother to be stressed in her condition, after all. And she was fine. Well, that was mostly true…


After twenty minutes or so of lighthearted chatting, Eun-Jeong grew serious. She turned to her mother.

"Eomma… Is it...foolish to take up a hobby because the guy you like is interested in it…?" she asked out of the blue.

Ga Eul gave a little laugh.

Eun-Jeong gaped. "Eommaaa…," she whined and stared down at her hands, dejected. She hadn't expected her mother to laugh at her about it.

Noticing her daughter's hurt expression, Ga Eul placed a hand upon her cheek. Eun-Jeong looked up, and Ga Eul gazed upon her tenderly. "How do you think I got into pottery…?" she grinned and tucked a strand of Eun-Jeong's hair back behind her ear.

"Ohh, I see…," Eun-Jeong smiled. Her mother didn't create pottery as much these days, but she still occasionally enjoyed the craft.

"I took up pottery because your appa did it," Ga Eul explained, "I had a huge crush on him, and I wanted to find something in common with him and get to know him better. And I felt silly at first, too. But a friend of your father's helped me to realize that there was nothing wrong with that. And then I discovered that I really enjoyed it."

Eun-Jeong nodded, feeling rather relieved that her mother could understand. "Eomma, I…have been taking guitar lessons with Uncle Ji Hoo," she admitted.

"Really?" Ga Eul replied. "I wondered about that. I kept hearing guitar music coming from your room…"

"Mm. I asked him to keep it secret for a while, until I was good… I told Uncle Ji Hoo that I wanted to learn a musical instrument because I didn't have a thing…you know, something I'm good at and passionate about… And that was sort of true, but also, I just wanted to…have something in common with Seok-Young… And I thought that maybe I could…impress him…if I somehow got good at it… Ahh, I feel so stupid, Eomma!"

"You're not stupid, Baby…," Ga Eul ran a tender hand through Eun-Jeong's raven locks.

"But about Seok-Young…," Ga Eul began delicately.

"Yes, Eomma, what about him?" Eun-Jeong stared at Ga Eul, doe-eyed.

"Well… How is that going…?"

"I'm not sure, Eomma… I'm so confused…" Ga Eul laid a hand over Eun-Jeong's and patiently waited for her to continue.

Eun-Jeong sighed and told Ga Eul the story, while Ga Eul listened carefully and sympathetically. Eun-Jeong told Ga Eul of how Seok-Young had told her that he liked her but had always thought of her as a sister. And then Eun-Jeong told her mother about how Seok-Young had worried that dating was a bad idea due to all the potential complications.

Then—with a heavy heart—Eun-Jeong went on to tell Ga Eul about seeing Seok-Young with Mi Na and then about Hyun-Joo's interest in her. She told her mother about Seok-Young's actions toward Hyun-Joo and how he had appered jealous, and then she told her about how Seok-Young had apologized and had been trying to talk to her about something. But she did not tell her mother about the near kiss…

All of a sudden, Eun-Jeong's eyes began to moisten. "Sometimes he really acts like he likes me, Eomma…but other times…I'm not so sure, and I wonder if maybe he's just being a big brother to me… And now…there is this Gun Mi Na…," Eun-Jeong mumbled sadly.

Ga Eul patted Eun-Jeong's hand.

"I get really, really jealous when I see them together, Eomma. He says they are just rehearsing a duet together, but she has a lot in common with him…she's like his perfect match or something…"

"Just because someone seems like they may be a perfect match for someone doesn't mean that they are meant to be, Baby. And he has to feel the same for her…"

"I know, Eomma," Eun-Jeong nodded, "But she's always touching him and hanging around him…and I don't like how it makes me feel… I feel like a terrible person, Eomma…," Eun-Jeong lamented.

A few tears fell, and Eun-Jeong quickly wiped them with the back of her hand.

"Oh, Baby," Ga Eul uttered tenderly and reached out for Eun-Jeong. Ga Eul Eun-Jeong's soft cheek with her thumb, and then she pulled her daughter into a hug.

"Oh, Eomma, I don't want to hurt you or the baby…," she protested.

"You won't, Baby. It's OK," Ga Eul whispered, as she held her there and lightly her hair.

And Eun-Jeong's body began to shake. "Why do I have to feel like this, Eomma? I don't want to feel this way…it's like…like my insides are coming apart…," she choked out through soft sobs.

Ga Eul spoke soothingly and rubbed Eun-Jeong's back. And Eun-Jeong calmed slightly.

"I don't know what to do, Eomma… What should I do? Please tell me what to do…," she pleaded in a soft whisper.

Ga Eul pulled Eun-Jeong back. "Well, I think you really need to have a good talk with Seok-Young and decide what you both want to do. But you know that whether you decide to date Seok-Young or Hyun-Joo or any other boy, we're going to have to eventually tell your appa…," Ga Eul smirked at her.

Eun-Jeong released an ultra-slow, labored breath and stared down at her hands. "I know, Eomma… How do you think Appa will take it?"

"Well…," Ga Eul paused to consider her loving husband and the conversation they had already had about Eun-Jeong having a crush. "You know that your appa is very protective…but he loves you very much and wants you to be happy. So, I'm sure he will be accepting of it if he truly believes the boy is a good one. That's not to say he won't have ground rules, of course," Ga Eul chuckled, and Eun-Jeong smiled faintly.

"But, if it is Seok-Young…the good news is that your appa already loves Seok-Young. So, I can't imagine he would fight it too hard…," Ga Eul gave Eun-Jeong a little wink.

Eun-Jeong smiled. "Gomawo, Eomma."

"And regarding this Gun Mi Na…," Ga Eul sighed, "I think you just really need to talk to Seok-Young about her. And yes there could be complications in your relationship if you do decide to date, but every relationship has some complications… And not every relationship is right or works out, but I believe that the important thing is that you do your best, so that you can live with no regrets. A wise friend of mine once told me that love does not work if you hold back, and it won't remain hidden, no matter how hard you may try…"

Eun-Jeong was listening intently. She nodded, and Ga Eul smiled tenderly at her.

"But that's not to say that you don't sometimes reach a point when it becomes too much, too difficult to go on… I had to make that decision with your father once…," Ga Eul muttered remorsefully.

Eun-Jeong looked to her mother with an expression of deep concern. And Ga Eul told the story of her conversation with Yi Jeong on the stairs.


"Before we dated there was a time when I decided that I was going to stop pursuing your appa. I didn't believe that he felt the same way about me. I had expressed my feelings to him directly, and I had tried and tried to show him how I felt, but nothing had come of it. So, I went to him, and I told him that I was going to let him go, without any regrets."

Eun-Jeong's lips parted. "And then what happened?"

Ga Eul went on to tell the rest of the story, how Yi Jeong had decided not to give up on his pottery, of their night in his studio, and of their near-kiss…

It reminded Eun-Jeong of her recent near-kiss with Seok-Young, and she felt her heart speed up at the memory…

And then Ga Eul told Eun-Jeong about Yi Jeong's promise to her when he left for Sweden…

"That must have been so hard, Eomma…being away from Appa for so long while being in love with him…," Eun-Jeong replied sympathetically.

"Yes, it was extremely hard, but we made it through." Ga Eul put a hand behind Eun-Jeong's head and placed a gentle kiss upon her forehead.

"It's all going to be fine and work out as it is supposed to, Baby. Eomma is sure of it."

Eun-Jeong smiled appreciatively, and she gave Ga Eul a tender kiss upon the cheek. "Gomawo, Eomma."

Ga Eul and Eun-Jeong released a simultaneous sigh after their intense conversation.


"Oh, Eomma! Even though I felt really silly at first, some good came out of the guitar lessons with Uncle Ji Hoo!"

"Really, Baby?"

"Yes, I actually really love playing the guitar. It's a lot of fun!"

"I'm so glad, Baby…"

And Eun-Jeong began to show off her callouses to her mother. "That's um...great…, Baby," Ga Eul gave a chuckle. Then, Eun-Jeong told Ga Eul of how she had also shown them off to Uncle Ji Hoo—to prove how hard she was working—and he'd been proud of her.

Eun-Jeong realized that many of the prissy, popular girls at school would ridicule her for no longer having soft, delicate hands, but she didn't care. They were like badges of honor for her… And Uncle Ji Hoo had said that they were actually beneficial for playing…

"Oh, would you like for me to play something for you, Eomma?" Eun-Jeong smiled brightly.

"I would love that, Baby."

Eun-Jeong smiled brightly and went for her borrowed guitar.


...

Eun-Jeong had just finished a lesson with Ji Hoo. "Great job today, Eun-Jeong-ah," he said. She bowed and thanked him.

Ji Hoo informed her that he needed to go to work soon, and he arranged for transportation home for her. Eun-Jeong thanked him again, and then she waited for the car out front. But then she noticed that Seok-Young had arrived. And he was with Gun Mi Na…

When she saw them, Eun-Jeong quickly hid behind a bush.

She felt utterly ridiculous

Seok-Young and Mi Na were talking, and then Mi Na giggled at something he said that Eun-Jeong did not quite catch. Eun-Jeong scoffed.

"You're so funny, Oppa," Mi Na giggled again.

Eun-Jeong felt her heart give a painful thump.

She's calling him Oppa now…

Eun-Jeong couldn't take it anymore… Without thinking, she took off running into the backyard of the Yoon estate. Her eyes were suddenly misted over, and she blindly ran faster and faster through the trees…


Eun-Jeong finally stopped running—just before her legs began to give out—and she slumped down against a solitary oak tree. She was well into the large wooded acreage of the Yoon property now—to the point where the trees were sparse—and she was surprised by how far she had gotten so quickly.

She wrapped her arms around her knees, buried her head, and let the tears flow…

Eun-Jeong lifted her eyes when she heard the sound of voices growing nearer. Seok-Young and Mi Na were headed her way, carrying their instruments… Eun-Jeong panicked and quickly jumped behind the tree, peering out cautiously from behind it.

Eun-Jeong dug into the bark of the tree with her short fingernails. "Why is he bringing her all the way out here…?" she grumbled, as a smattering of indecent thoughts—of what Seok-Young's intentions could be—assaulted her.

Eun-Jeong quickly shoved away her jealousy and brought to mind her current predicament. She couldn't let them catch her hiding here! How could she possibly explain?! She squeezed her arms against her sides and tried to make herself thinner, so as to remain completely hidden by the trunk of the tree. But it was a younger oak and did not completely conceal her, despite her small size… And there was no other place to go…

No place to go but up that was…


Eun-Jeong unthinkingly began to climb the tree. She had done this many times as a child, but it had been awhile and she was not quite so agile as she used to be… She slipped once but managed to catch herself, pulling herself up higher and higher, as quickly as she could.

And suddenly, she was a good 3 or 4 meters off the ground.

She held tight onto the branch above her head with both hands, while standing upon a lower bough that was shaking lightly. Eun-Jeong bit her lip and gripped on even tighter.

Seok-Young and Mi Na had stopped walking. And they now stood several meters away—and below—Eun-Jeong. After a brief conversation, they held up their instruments and began to play.

Eun-Jeong got caught up in the haunting melody they were performing… But her eyes focused upon Seok-Young…

He was poised and beautiful—as ever—but he seemed different somehow, perhaps even a bit…sad

But then again, it was hard to tell while she hovered meters over his head, holding on—for dear life—to a tree branch…

After they finished playing, Mi Na moved closer to Seok-Young and touched his arm. Eun-Jeong leaned forward slightly, straining to hear what was being said. It sounded as if Mi Na had asked Seok-Young out to do something. Eun-Jeong waited—literally and figuratively on edge—for Seok-Young's response…

Before she could hear his response, Eun-Jeong felt her boot slip against the branch. She grasped onto the branch over her head tighter and attempted to regain her foothold, but her foot slipped from its position and the other followed, leaving her hanging in mid-air.

Eun-Jeong grunted, as she struggled to pull herself up. She was almost there when she lost her grip. And all of a sudden, she was falling…


Seok-Young was just about to respond to Mi Na's request to see a movie together when he heard a shrill scream. He immediately took off running toward the sound.

It didn't take long for Seok-Young to arrive at the origin of the sound, only to find Eun-Jeong lying on the ground in an unnatural position. She lay atop her outstretched arm, clutching at her shoulder with her other and crying out in pain.

"Eun-Jeong-ah!" Seok-Young called out, and he went to her. Seok-Young kneeled down before Eun-Jeong. "What happened—are you OK?!" he demanded—his brow wrinkled and his eyes wide with concern.

"I…fell…," Eun-Jeong mumbled, squeezing her eyes shut in pain and holding her right arm. Seok-Young glanced up at the tree.

"Aigoo, is she OK?" Mi Na reiterated, as she looked down upon the scene before her.

Seok-Young did not respond to Mi Na but instead carefully scooped up Eun-Jeong. He rushed off toward the house as fast as he could, while carrying Eun-Jeong in his arms.

Mi Na grabbed both of their instruments and sprinted off after them.

"Op-pa…it…hurts…," Eun-Jeong muttered through clenched teeth, as Seok-Young cradled her.

"I know, Eun-Jeong-ah, I know it does…but it's going to be OK… I'm going to take care of you; I promise." And he continued on toward the house, doing his best not to jostle her too much.


They arrived at the Yoon house, and Mi Na opened the door for Seok-Young. "Appa, appa!" Seok-Young shouted out as he ran into the house.

"What is it, Son?" Ji Hoo called, as he stepped out of the bedroom. He was just buttoning the sleeves of his white collared shirt.

Seok-Young released a relieved sigh when he saw that his father had not yet left. "Oh, Appa, thank goodness!"

Ji Hoo's brow furrowed when he noticed a very pale Eun-Jeong in his son's arms, "What happened?!" he demanded. Ji Hoo immediately went to Seok-Young and took Eun-Jeong from him. He laid her upon his bed.

"She fell out of a tree, Appa!"

Ji Hoo clenched his jaw, "What was she doing in a tree…," Ji Hoo muttered—more rhetorically—as he began to examine Eun-Jeong. He observed the drooping socket of her shoulder.

Seok-Young stood very close, leaning in and attempting to better see. And Mi Na was behind him looking over his shoulder.

"Son, could you please give me a little space?" Ji Hoo asked, and Seok-Young reluctantly took a step back.

"Does it hurt when I do this?" Ji Hoo asked of Eun-Jeong, as he lightly prodded. Eun-Jeong winced and shut her eyes tight. She nodded. "Does your arm feel numb, or is there any tingling, Eun-Jeong-ah?" Ji Hoo asked.

"A…little bit…of tingling…," she uttered between short, labored breaths.

"She probably dislocated her shoulder," Ji Hoo said, "She's going to need to go to the hospital for an x-ray."

Ji Hoo informed Eun-Jeong to keep it still. He asked for Seok-Young to grab his medical kit and Mi Na to go for an ice pack.

"It hurts, Uncle Ji Hoo…," Eun-Jeong muttered.

"I know, sweetheart, but I'm going to take care of you," he assured.

"…I'm so sorry, Uncle Ji Hoo…," she murmured.

"For what, sweetheart?" he asked, as he dabbed the sweat away from her brow with his handkerchief.

"For…causing you trouble…," she spoke through heavy breaths.

"You're no trouble, sweetheart. Now, just relax."

Seok-Young grabbed the medical kit and Mi Na returned with the ice pack. Ji Hoo instructed Seok-Young to place the pack upon her shoulder. He held it there gently. Ji Hoo retrieved a triangle bandage from his medical kit and created a splint for her. He wrapped it around her arm and shoulder.

Ji Hoo finished immobilizing Eun-Jeong's shoulder, and then he picked her up to carry her to the car.

"What else can I do, Appa?" Seok-Young asked.

"Call your Uncle Yi Jeong and Aunt Ga Eul to let them know what happened and that we're heading to the hospital. And page your mother to inform her. She's already there. I'll take care of the rest."

Seok-Young nodded.

"I want to go, Appa," Seok-Young said. Ji Hoo and Mi Na looked to him.

"You should stay here, Son. You have a guest, and you should make sure she gets home. I'll take care of Eun-Jeong."

Oh, that's right… Seok-Young had almost forgotten about Mi Na.

"No, I want to go, Appa!" Seok-Young demanded. His chest began to rise and fall heavily.

Ji Hoo was rather shocked by Seok-Young's sudden tone, but he agreed. And Ji Hoo took Eun-Jeong and placed her carefully in the back of the Mini Cooper.

Seok-Young quickly called Secretary Park, who arrived moments later. And then he turned back to Mi Na. "I'm sorry, Mi Na, but I need to be there for my friend. Secretary Park will take you home. We can practice another time."

Her disappointment was evident, but Mi Na nodded in understanding. And Seok-Young hopped into the backseat with Eun-Jeong.


Not long after, the three of them and a nurse were in an exam room at the hospital. Eun-Jeong had gotten an X-ray done. Nothing was broken, but Ji Hoo was going to need to perform a closed reduction on her shoulder joint to reposition it. He'd given her a mild sedative to combat the pain.

"Seok-Young, why don't you wait outside?" Ji Hoo suggested, as he and the nurse prepared Eun-Jeong for the procedure.

Seok-Young shook his head. "No!" he shouted. Ji Hoo's lips parted. It was the second time today his son had yelled at him.

"I'm sorry, Appa…but please, may I stay with her?" Seok-Young begged.

Ji Hoo sighed and nodded. "Actually, that's a good idea, since Ga Eul is on bedrest and Yi Jeong hasn't arrived yet."

Ji Hoo and Seok-Young helped Eun-Jeong to lie down on the examining table. Seok-Young stood on the opposite side.

"Ok, sweetheart," Ji Hoo spoke gently, "I'm going to fix your shoulder now." Ji Hoo gave her a brief explanation of what he was going to do.

Eun-Jeong nodded. She trusted her uncle, but there was fear in her eyes.

"Now, sweetheart, this is going to hurt a little bit but only for a few seconds. I promise."

Eun-Jeong's brow wrinkled. She nodded and clenched her jaw in anticipation, staring at the point Ji Hoo was about to manipulate.

Ji Hoo turned to Seok-Young. "Seok-Young, distract her."


Seok-Young nodded. "Ye, Appa."

Seok-Young placed his hand upon Eun-Jeong's other arm.

"Eun-Jeong-ah, look at me…," he said softly. Eun-Jeong slowly turned her head, and her large, chocolate eyes locked with his.

Seok-Young gave her a tender smile and then slid his hand down her arm to rest on her hand. Then, he slipped his hand gently into hers and interlaced their fingers. Eun-Jeong in a breath of air in surprise and stared down at their interlocking fingers.

"Squeeze my hand," Eun-Jeong-ah," Seok-Young instructed, "Squeeze it as hard as you can and don't let go…"

Eun-Jeong looked up into Seok-Young's eyes once more and slowly nodded. He applied light pressure to her hand, and she slowly began to return it...

"Are you ready, Eun-Jeong-ah?" Ji Hoo asked. Eun-Jeong looked from Seok-Young to Ji Hoo. And then she shot a tentative glance back to Seok-Young.

"It's OK…," Seok-Young assured, "Just keep looking at me, Eun-Jeong-ah… Don't take your eyes off me…," he gently demanded. And he gave her hand a reassuring squeeze.

Eun-Jeong took a deep breath and nodded bravely, while staring into Seok-Young's eyes. "I'm ready, Uncle Ji Hoo…"

Eun-Jeong felt her limb being rotated, and she was still a bit afraid, but she wasn't all that focused upon it…

She, instead, found herself focusing upon Seok-Young, upon staring into his eyes—ones all of a sudden so gentle, warm, and loving. And she was concentrating hard upon squeezing his hand tight—as if her life depended on it—like he'd told her to do.

As she squeezed, Seok-Young began her hand and knuckle, tracing light circles into it with his thumb…

Eun-Jeong's lips parted, and she felt her heart rate accelerate to maximum velocity. She glanced away—the hint of a blush appearing—and she smiled, as they held hands...

The sweet interaction between Seok-Young and Eun-Jeong did not go unnoticed by Ji Hoo, and a small smile crossed his lips.

Seok-Young felt a rough patch of skin upon Eun-Jeong's fingertip; he took a closer look. And a smile tugged at the corners of his mouth. It was unmistakable; this was clearly the hand of a musician… He gazed into her eyes tenderly and continued caressing her hand…


Ji Hoo firmly pushed Eun-Jeong's shoulder joint back into place with a pop. She felt a quick, sharp pain and inadvertently gave out a little cry, but it hadn't been nearly as bad as she was expecting… The pain had come and then had immediately begun to subside, and she—instead—felt those familiar butterflies returning... Perhaps it was the sedative that was making her feel so loopy…

"All done," Ji Hoo spoke.

It took a moment for it to register, for Eun-Jeong and Seok-Young were still immersed in holding hands and staring into each other's eyes.

Ji Hoo gently cleared his throat. "Ahem, you're all done, sweetheart," he repeated.

"Oh! That's it? Thank you, Uncle Ji Hoo…"

"Of course," Ji Hoo replied.


As Ji Hoo began to wrap Eun-Jeong's shoulder in a new sling, Yi Jeong rushed into the room in a panic.

"Eun-Jeong-ah! Are you alright? What happened?!" Yi Jeong demanded. Seok-Young quickly slipped his hand out of Eun-Jeong's and stepped backward, placing both hands behind his back. Yi Jeong didn't seem to notice and simply took his place at Eun-Jeong's side.

Ji Hoo turned to his good friend. "She has a dislocated shoulder. We took an x-ray, and nothing is broken, so she fortunately won't need surgery. I've relocated the joint, and I gave her some pain medication."

Ji Hoo turned to Eun-Jeong and spoke to father and daughter. "You're going to need to wear that sling for two weeks, Eun-Jeong-ah. Make sure to ice the area every 3-4 hours for 20 minutes each over the next 2-3 days to reduce swelling. And I prescribed some more pain medication for you," Ji Hoo said.

Yi Jeong exhaled, "Gomawo, Ji Hoo-yah," he said, "But how did this happen?!" he looked to Eun-Jeong, who looked away sheepishly. Yi Jeong tightened his mouth and turned back to Ji Hoo for an explanation.

"She fell out of a tree at my house," Ji Hoo replied, as he finished tending to Eun-Jeong.

"What?!" Yi Jeong turned to Eun-Jeong, "Why were you in a tree?! What were you thinking, young lady?!" Yi Jeong scolded.

Eun-Jeong tightened and turned her head away in shame. She felt as though her foolishness had reached a new level.

"Well?" Yi Jeong demanded.

"Um, well because I was, um…," Eun-Jeong stammered.

Noticing Eun-Jeong's discomfort, Seok-Young stepped forward. "It was my fault, Uncle Yi Jeong, Appa…," Seok-Young interjected. He stood with his hands behind his back and his head lowered. "I dared her to climb the tree."

Ji Hoo, Yi Jeong, and Eun-Jeong all stared at Seok-Young in shock. Ji Hoo and Yi Jeong wore their disapproval prominently upon their faces.

"You dared her? Why in the world would you do that, Yoon Seok-Young?" Yi Jeong stood before Seok-Young, who bowed his head lower in remorse and reverence.

Ji Hoo sighed. "Yes, Son. That was really foolish… Eun-Jeong ended up getting hurt. I'm very disappointed in you…" Ji Hoo gave Seok-Young a look of disapproval and indicated that they would discuss it more later on.

"I know, Appa, Uncle Yi Jeong…I was just messing around…I'm really sorry…," he hung his head again.

Yi Jeong sighed in exasperation and turned away from Seok-Young. He took a few steps and turned back. "You should apologize to Eun-Jeong," he commanded. And Ji Hoo agreed.

Seok-Young turned to Eun-Jeong, "Mianhada, Eun-Jeong-ah…," and their eyes met. Seok-Young truly looked sorrowful—as if he actually believed his own fake story and that it was his fault. But Eun-Jeong simply smiled sweetly and whispered a quiet thanks to Seok-Young. He gave her a faint smile and bowed before her.

"And you, young lady, you should know better than to do something you were dared to do!" Yi Jeong exclaimed, focusing upon her now.

"I know, Appa…mianhada…," she lowered her head before her father. "And really it was all my fault! Seok-Young was just joking around, but I was being prideful and showing off. I insisted that I could do it, even though Oppa tried to stop me… And then Oppa took care of me… He carried me to the house and got Uncle Ji Hoo, and he never left my side…," Eun-Jeong smiled affectionately over at Seok-Young, and he smiled back.

Yi Jeong sighed and nodded, completely oblivious to the love-stricken look his daughter was currently giving Seok-Young. "Well, gomawo for that, Seok-Young," Yi Jeong replied, stuffing his hands into his pockets.

Ji Hoo and Yi Jeong stepped away for a moment to discuss Eun-Jeong's treatment and probably some punishment for the two of them, as well. While they did so, Seok-Young went over to Eun-Jeong.


"Does it hurt badly, Eun-Jeong-ah?" Seok-Young asked.

"It's a bit better now…," she lowered her eyes, "Thank you for sticking up for me, Oppa...," she muttered.

He smiled at her, "No problem," and he stuffed his hands into his pockets. "But…why were you in my backyard and up a tree, Eun-Jeong-ah?" he tilted his head slightly.

"Well, I was uh…," she stammered, "…I had my reasons!" she blurted out and then quickly looked away.

She hesitantly looked back, and he was smiling at her.

Eun-Jeong expected Seok-Young to press further or perhaps about it, but instead he simply nodded and said, "It's OK if you don't want to tell me, Eun-Jeong-ah. I won't ask you about it again. I'm just so relieved that you're OK and that you weren't injured even worse…"

"Gomawo, Oppa…," Eun-Jeong muttered.

"Don't you ever do that again, though, Eun-Jeong-ah!" Seok-Young scolded.

Oh, so now he is scolding me, too?

"I won't," she said, "And…um…I'm sorry if I ruined your date…" She felt a knot forming in her stomach.

Seok-Young sighed. "It wasn't a date…"

Perhaps she shouldn't ask but she felt the need to know. "Then why were you all the way back in the woods…?"

"I just wanted to show her where I usually practice because it's relaxing and helps me concentrate. I just thought it might be a good place for our final rehearsal before the duet. It was nothing more than that."

Eun-Jeong nodded slowly. She supposed that was a good enough explanation… She opened to speak but decided better of it.


Ji Hoo and Yi Jeong returned to their children.

Yi Jeong thanked Ji Hoo again and turned to Eun-Jeong. "Let's go home now, Eun-Jeong-ah. Your eomma is worried sick, and it's not good for her or the baby," and Yi Jeong helped Eun-Jeong up and led her out. "Gomawo again, Uncle Ji Hoo, Oppa…," Eun-Jeong said, as Yi Jeong led her out. She gave them a little wave with her good hand.

"Of course. Take care and make sure to ice the area and comply with the follow-up instructions," Ji Hoo said, returning her wave. She nodded and bowed to her uncle.

"Bye, Oppa…," Eun-Jeong waved to Seok-Young. He nodded and waved back.


That Night…

"So, Eun-Jeong is OK, then?" Jan Di asked of Ji Hoo, as they prepared for bed.

"Yes, she'll be fine. Fortunately nothing was broken, and I just needed to relocate it. She'll have to be in the sling for a couple weeks, but other than that, she's fine. She's lucky she didn't get hurt worse that she did."

Jan Di sighed. "Yes, I'm so glad that it wasn't any worse. I wanted to see her when it happened, but I got held up with a delivery. I feel so bad, especially since Ga Eul wasn't able to go to the hospital and Yi Jeong couldn't get there right away…"

"It's OK, my love. Seok-Young was there with Eun-Jeong."

Jan Di nodded. "So, how did it happen again?" she ran a brush through her hair.

"Well, Seok-Young said that he dared her to climb a tree, but I don't really think that was the truth…"

"What do you mean? You think that he lied? Why would Seok-Young lie, and why would he lie and say that?"

"Well, it was in front of Yi Jeong. I think Seok-Young was somehow protecting Eun-Jeong, but I'm not quite sure what actually happened…"

"Hmm," Jan Di mused and sat before the vanity in the bedroom.

Ji Hoo went up behind Jan Di and placed his hands upon her shoulders. He began to feather kisses down her neck. Jan Di smiled in the mirror and turned around to face him. She stood, and Ji Hoo wrapped his arms around her waist. He pulled her in tight and proceeded to kiss her deeply.

Ji Hoo and Jan Di got into bed, and Ji Hoo pulled her in and she rested her head against his chest.

"So, there's something I need to tell you, my otter," Ji Hoo said, placing a kiss upon Jan Di's forehead.

"What is it?"

"Well…," the corners of Ji Hoo's mouth curved upward slightly, "…I think that our son is in love…"

"Ahh...," Jan Di sighed, "Yes, I know about it… But I wouldn't say he's in love with her, would you?" she frowned.

"I thought you would be thrilled, Jan Di-yah, but you seem unhappy by the prospect…"

"Well, I wouldn't say unhappy… I mean, Gun Mi Na is a nice girl and she fits Seok-Young well, I suppose…but she's just so…forward…"

"What? Gun Mi Na?" Ji Hoo questioned. "No, I was talking about So Eun-Jeong…"

"So Eun-Jeong?!" Jan Di's eyes went wide. "Did you just say that Seok-Young is in love with So Eun-Jeong?"

Ji Hoo smiled and nodded. "Yes, I would say so… Seok-Young talked to me about a girl he liked, and I pieced together the details…and then after witnessing their interaction today, I was fairly certain of it.

"Shut up!" Jan Di smiled widely and smacked Ji Hoo on the arm.

Ji Hoo chuckled and shook his head.

"And Eun-Jeong likes him, too! This is so great!" Jan Di clasped her hands together.


A Few Days Later…

Eun-Jeong hadn't been able to stop thinking about Seok-Young since her injury. This wasn't surprising to her, but it was what she was thinking—specifically—that was quite unexpected.

She had decided to let him go…

Eun-Jeong scoffed at herself. It wasn't even like she was really letting go of him, for she didn't even have him… They weren't together.

Still, nothing had happened between them…nothing more than a near kiss… And then they had shared that tender moment of holding hands at the hospital…which just so happened to be in front of Uncle Ji Hoo…

As crazy as she was about Seok-Young, Eun-Jeong didn't know if she could do it… Maybe Seok-Young was right all along. Maybe it would be too complicated, too hard… When she thought of all that had transpired in the short amount of time she'd had a crush on Seok-Young, it brought tears to her eyes…

Since she fell for him: they had argued, fought, hurt each other on several occasions...she'd slapped him, and she'd gotten physically hurt and caused her family trouble because of jealousy... And not to mention the fact that this thing with Seok-Young had begun to affect her friendship with Mee-Yon…

For instance, there were times when Eun-Jeong had avoided Mee-Yon when Seok-Young was around, and Mee-Yon had noticed, though she didn't seem to know the reason why. But Eun-Jeong could tell that she had hurt Mee-Yon… She had also fibbed to and kept secrets from her... Eun-Jeong did not want to hurt her best friend…so maybe Oppa was right…maybe it was for the best that they not date…


The Next Morning…

Eun-Jeong met up with Seok-Young at the stairwell. He had wanted to share something with her.

"How is your shoulder feeling?" he asked gently after they met up. He touched her arm lightly.

She smiled to herself. He was always so concerned about her welfare… "It's much better, Oppa, gomawo…"

He smiled at her, but he seemed quite nervous. She even noticed his hand shaking a bit. Seok-Young's hand was always perfectly steady…

"So, I asked you here because I have something to confess to you, Eun-Jeong-ah…," he said.

Eun-Jeong turned away from him entirely and shut her eyes tight, for she couldn't look at him while she did this. If she did, she would completely fall apart. "Wait, Oppa… I need to tell you something first…"

"What is it?"

Eun-Jeong turned back to him and put on a brave face. "Well, I wanted to tell you that…I'm going to stop…pursuing you… I'm going to leave you alone…"

"What?" he was completely stunned. He hadn't seen it that way, at all. And he hadn't seen this coming…

"What I said about liking you before…well, I never should have told you that and put you in that position. And I…take it back."

"What? You…take it back?" he asked incredulously. It was as if she had punched him in the stomach and then twisted it around a little bit, just to make it hurt more...

"You can't just take it back…"

"Yes, I can. I've decided that I'm not going to like you in that way anymore…," she glanced away, "The more I thought about what you said, the more sense it made… So, I've decided to get over it and move on. So, it'd be great if you could just pretend that conversation never happened…so…maybe things could go back to normal…" Tears were beginning to escape now; Eun-Jeong quickly wiped them away.

"But…Eun-Jeong…you can't just…why are you…?"

"It's for the best, Oppa, trust me," she said, before walking off.

"Wait!" he called after her, but she didn't turn around. She had to get out of there before she fell apart…


Two Weeks Later…

Jan Di was at the hospital; she received a page. "Oh!" she exclaimed aloud, and she rushed off.

Alex was in labor.

Jan Di headed toward admissions to meet Goo Joon Pyo and Alex there. As she stepped off the elevator, she heard a familiar male voice from behind her. "Well, well, well, Geum Jan Di…as I live and breathe…"

She spun around to see Dr. Jang approaching her, flashing a pearly grin. "Hello, Kiddo..."

"Seonsaengnim!" Jan Di smiled widely. He stood before her, looking down at her with a tender expression. They embraced.

"So, where have you been hiding, Kiddo?" he asked affectionately.

"Seonsaengnim, you're one to talk!" she gave him a shove. "What's a big shot like you doing down here anyway? Why aren't you in your fancy office?" Jan Di smirked.

"Oh, well when I heard that Alex was in labor I had to come down and see you…"

"That was quick…," she replied.

"Well, I'm also seeing some patients," he chuckled.

Jan Di nodded. "Well, it's so nice to see you!"

"Likewise," he grinned. "So, I hear you'll be delivering the next Goo baby."

"Yes."

"So, where's that husband of yours?" Dr. Jang asked, glancing around.

"Oh, he's on his way…"

Dr. Jang nodded. "Dr. Yoon is quite the big shot, himself, now. Chief of Surgery, very impressive."

Jan Di smiled. "Yes, I was so happy for him. He deserved it."

Dr. Jang nodded. "Yes, he did. I hope that I'll get to see Dr. Yoon. Though, I don't know if he'll want to see me…," Dr. Jang smirked.

"Oh, come on, Seonsaengnim! That's nonsense; of course he will. All that business is in the past and forgotten…"

Dr. Jang nodded, "Good."

"So anyway, how is married life treating you, Seonsaengnim?"

"Good, very good. Much better this time around," he chuckled. Jan Di gave him a wry smile.

"Congratulations again, by the way!"

"Thank you, Kiddo, and your gift was too much…"

Jan Di waved him off with her hand. "No, it wasn't. You've done so much for me, for us, Seonsaengnim."

He smiled brilliantly at her.

"How is Shi-Woo?" Jan Di asked.

"He's good. He'll be graduating high school soon."

"Wow, how time flies…"

"And Seok-Young and Mee-Yon?"

"Good, good. Seok-Young just started high school, and Mee-Yon is in her last year of middle school."

"They're good kids," Dr. Jang commented.

"Gomawo, Seonsaengnim. So is Shi-Woo."

Jan Di paused, "You know, I'll always be indebted to you for Seok-Young…"

"Oh, Kiddo, no…there's no need to say that…"

"But it's true. If it wasn't for you, Seok-Young might not have survived childbirth. In a way, he owes his life to you. And…so do I…"

Jan Di and Dr. Jang never spoke of what happened during Seok-Young's birth, but with all that had been going on with Seok-Young lately and how quickly he'd been growing up, Jan Di felt nostalgic about that day all of a sudden… And it reminded her of what Dr. Jang had done for her son and for her.

There was an uncomfortable silence, so Jan Di broke it with a little chuckle.

"Anyway, gomawo, Seonsaengnim…"

Dr. Jang smiled and clapped her on the arm. "Anytime. You know, you haven't changed a bit, Kiddo," he said with a smile.

And she returned it. "You either."

Then, Jan Di felt her pager vibrate on her hip.

"Oh…," she looked at it.

"Unbelievable!" Jan Di exclaimed, smiling from ear-to-ear. Dr. Jang looked at her curiously, and she flashed him the message.

He smiled. "That's great!"

"Well, I have to go, Seonsaengnim… But let's catch up later, OK?!"

"You got it. Bye, Kiddo."


One Hour Earlier…

Seok-Young couldn't stop brooding. He'd been in an absolutely horrible mood since Eun-Jeong had broken things off with him—before they even had the chance to start…

How could she do that? And so easily…

Eun-Jeong had just gotten her sling off, and she was eager for another guitar lesson. It had been two weeks now, due to her injury…

Eun-Jeong rang the bell at the Yoon household, and Seok-Young answered…

Seok-Young's heart skipped a beat when he saw her behind the door.

"Eun-Jeong-ah…," he muttered.

"Oh, Oppa…," she glanced away. She felt the familiar ache in her chest at seeing him. Seeing his face again was almost too much…

"I'm not here to see you, Oppa," she informed him.

His expression grew somber. Why was that always her opening line…?

"Oh," he nodded, "I figured… Let me guess, you're here to see my appa again?"

She nodded, and he led her in. He took her coat. She wore a white sweater underneath and a black, flowing skirt, and he found her to be incredibly beautiful…

Seok-Young cleared his throat. "So, you still won't tell me why you come to see my appa…?"

She paused to consider. "Not just yet, Oppa," she replied.

He nodded and pointed to her shoulder. "So, you got it off…," he commented.

"Yeah."

"That's great."

She nodded.


After another awkward silence, Seok-Young informed Ji Hoo that she was there. And Eun-Jeong and Seok-Young parted ways. Eun-Jeong went to the music room with Ji Hoo, and Seok-Young went to his room. But he had to admit that he was extremely curious about what she was up to…

Seok-Young lay on his bed, attempting to do his homework, but he couldn't concentrate. He went to the kitchen for something to drink and then headed back to his room. As he passed by the music room, he heard the sound of guitar music, and he couldn't resist taking a quick peek inside.

He peered in through a crack and saw Eun-Jeong and his father playing and singing along together…

Eun-Jeong looked so happy… She was smiling, while singing and playing her heart out. And it was absolutely beautiful… She was absolutely beautiful… Her face, her voice, everything about her… And he couldn't help but gaze at her in awe…

Seok-Young watched his appa motion for Eun-Jeong to continue on by herself, and she began strumming along with the chorus of the song, her fingers flying over the strings, as she belted out the lyrics to the chorus with complete confidence.

And he thought that she had never looked so completely beautiful and perfect to him…


The music lesson ended, and Seok-Young quickly rushed off so as to give the appearance that he hadn't been listening in. He ran all the way up the stairs and then began to descend them casually, as she left the music room.

Eun-Jeong bid goodbye to Ji Hoo and then she went to leave. But Seok-Young caught up with her outside.

"Eun-Jeong, wait!"

She turned around. "Oh, what is it, Oppa?"

"Come with me…," he said resolutely. He'd had enough of this!

"Oppa…what…but...?"

He didn't listen but continued to lead her along by the arm out into the backyard.


Once they were several acres from the house, Seok-Young turned to Eun-Jeong.

"What's going on, Oppa?" she demanded.

"I just need to know something…," he replied.

"What?"

"I need to know why you…took it back…about liking me…"

"Well, I, um...," she looked away.

"Was it because of that guy…are you dating him now?" Seok-Young knew he sounded completely childish and pathetic, but he didn't care at this point. He shoved his hands into his pockets and leaned toward her slightly.

Eun-Jeong was silent. She looked away.

Seok-Young released a short burst of air. "So, did you also neglect to tell your boyfriend that you were taking music lessons? Or, was that just a secret from me…?"

Eun-Jeong gaped.

He knew…

Not that she was all that surprised... There could only be so many reasons she would be visiting her uncle so often.

"I just found out about it today. I overheard…," he answered the question she had thought but hadn't asked aloud.

Eun-Jeong sighed heavily, "…Right, of course…"

"Why wouldn't you tell me that my dad was teaching you guitar?"

"Well, because…because! It was…a surprise, OK!"

"A surprise…?"

"Yes! I wanted to learn to play and become good at it, so that…so that…I could impress you, you big idiot!" she clenched her fists at her sides, and she was trembling now. Revealing her secret had been a huge embarrassment for her…

Seok-Young stared at her.

"And now it's ruined...," she covered her face with her hands.

"It's not ruined…," he approached her and touched her arm lightly. She pulled back.

Seok-Young suddenly felt awful, yet touched at the same time. She'd actually learned to play…for him…?

"…It doesn't matter anyway…," she mumbled sadly, "And as far as my boyfriend goes… If you're referring to Cho Hyun-Joo, he's not my boyfriend… Don't tell me you're jealous, Oppa!" she placed her hands upon her hips.

Seok-Young tightened his mouth and looked away, saying nothing...

"You know, you're really unbelievable, Yoon Seok-Young!" Eun-Jeong's face had turned bright red from anger and frustration. "I mean, first you tell me you're not interested in dating me…that I'm like a sister to you and that it would be way too complicated for us to date because of our families and our history…

"…And then, I have to watch that…that…Gun Mi Na hang all over you… It was disgusting! Do you have any idea how my heart has been aching seeing you with her…thinking that you like her…?" Eun-Jeong fought back the tears. "…What am I saying? You probably do like her, right…?" Eun-Jeong asked shakily, "…I mean, why wouldn't you?! She's beautiful, talented, and absolutely perfect for you…," she muttered bitterly.

Seok-Young's eyes met hers. He was clearly surprised by all that she was saying…

"And after all that, you have the nerve to get jealous!" Eun-Jeong huffed, "…But I suppose you're going to tell me that you're not jealous at all, that it's all in my head, right?

"…After all, you don't even look at me like that, right? You don't look at me the way I look at you…" she turned away from him, "I suppose I'm just a babo…" Eun-Jeong clenched her fists hard at her sides and attempted to ward off the hot tears stinging at the corners of her eyes.

"You know, Cho Hyun-Joo was a nice guy, and I hurt him… He liked me a lot, and he was actually willing to date me! And I turned him down because I couldn't stop thinking about you!"

Eun-Jeong quickly looked away, for the tears had begun to stream down now. And she hadn't meant to speak so freely. "See, this is why…," she mumbled sadly, "This is why I took it back, Oppa…because you were right… It was getting way too complicated, and too hard… All the misunderstandings, all the secrets… I was even keeping secrets from Mee-Yon and my parents… It was just getting to be too much… And you and I were actually fighting—are fighting now! We never used to fight, Oppa…," she blinked back the tears.

"And then there was that girl… I was jealous, Oppa… OK fine, I admit it! And I thought…how could I possibly compare to someone like Gun Mi Na…? I mean, I'm not pretty or smart like her…and I definitely don't have her musical abilities… I'm such a babo, right?"


Seok-Young approached Eun-Jeong. "Eun-Jeong-ah, I was the babo… And what are you talking about, saying that you're not pretty or smart…? You are all of those things to me and more…"

He moved in closer, and placed his hands upon her slender arms. She simply stared up at him.

"You are smart…and you are beautiful—I don't think you realize how beautiful you really are…" he whispered, as he tucked a strand of dark hair behind her ear and gazed into her eyes.

"O-ppa…"

"Trust me. You should have more confidence in yourself. I've had to hear about it a lot from other guys, how beautiful and amazing you are… It has been rather annoying… And not because I don't agree with them, but because it is hard for me to hear them talk about you like that… But I couldn't exactly tell those guys to stop admiring you when I had no claim to you… Though if they had gotten out of line I would have definitely put them in their place," Seok-Young assured her.

Eun-Jeong simply stared at Seok-Young. He ran his hands lightly along her arms, and she felt a rush of goosebumps.

Seok-Young released a heavy sigh. "When Cho Hyun-Joo approached you, it didn't surprise me one bit. I was actually more surprised that he was the first… I think the only reason why more guys haven't approached you is because they're intimidated…by how beautiful you are… They think they have no shot… But I suppose that was good for me… And I wasn't about to encourage them…," Seok-Young gave a short awkward laugh.

"And as far as the musical ability goes…I heard you play, and you were amazing…"

"O-ppa… Gomawo…"


"After I made the mistake of telling you we shouldn't date, I immediately felt horrible. I talked to my dad about my feelings…not using your name, specifically, of course. And he helped me to realize that I should express my true feelings and not hold back. I have actually been working on a song to tell you how I feel about you, but it's not ready, so I have to go off the cuff here…"

Seok-Young took a deep breath.

Just say it!

"I like you, Eun-Jeong-ah… I like you so much… I can't stop thinking about you, in fact…"

"O-o-ppa…"

"But you don't like me anymore, right? You took it back…"

She stared at him. "Well, um, that was…I…," she stammered.

Seok-Young smiled. She was just so darn cute…

"I do look at you like that, Eun-Jeong-ah… And you were right…I don't deny it. I was jealous of Cho Hyun-Joo…extremely jealous…," he inched closer to her, "I didn't want you to go out with him… You say that your heart was aching about seeing me with Mi Na… Well, my heart was aching, too…"

"Oppa…"

Seok-Young didn't know where all this came from, but it was simply spouting out of him…everything he'd been thinking and feeling, everything he'd been keeping inside… And it was rather…freeing, actually…


Seok-Young observed Eun-Jeong. "You must be cold," he said, taking off his jacket. The weather was beginning to get chilly, after all.

"I'm OK, Oppa. You don't have to…"

But he placed his jacket over her shoulders anyway.

"Gomawo…," she said shyly, and a blush crept upon her cheeks. Then, Seok-Young carefully dropped one hand to her small waist and with the other, he held her shoulder. He pulled her suddenly closer and into an embrace. Her heart began to beat in an uncontrollable fashion…

"Eun-Jeong-ah," he whispered, as he held her there, "…You shouldn't be with Cho Hyun-Joo… You don't belong with him, or any other guy… You belong with…"

And Seok-Young pulled her back and held her out at arm's length.

"…You belong with me…"

And Seok-Young leaned in…


Time seemed to stand still as Seok-Young's lips grew ever closer to hers... He wrapped his arms around her, and finally, he pressed his lips to hers for a soft kiss…

It was a simple kiss—short and sweet—yet incredible. For the few seconds their lips were touching, Eun-Jeong felt as though an explosion had gone off within her heart…

After breaking the kiss, Seok-Young held Eun-Jeong there against his strong, warm chest. One of his hands ventured to her hair, and he took a moment to run his fingers through the strands. He felt her quiver lightly.


"Oh, Eun-Jeong-ah, I didn't hurt you did I?" he pulled back, looking very concerned. He was still quite worried that she was sore from her injury.

Eun-Jeong smiled and shook her head emphatically. There were happy tears in her eyes. "No, Oppa, not at all…," she embraced him tight around the waist and buried her head in his chest. And Eun-Jeong felt as though she could stay forever in his arms this way…

"Oppa…I'm so happy…," she muttered tenderly, as she clutched at the fabric of his sweater. And he placed a kiss atop her head.

Eun-Jeong wanted to stamp every single detail of this moment into her mind and remember it forever and ever—the feel of his lips, his gentle touch, even the scent of him… She couldn't quite pinpoint what it was but just that it was Oppa… And she would know it anywhere…

And it was one of those perfect moments you hear about, when you can't imagine anything better, and you just wish that it would never end…


Unfortunately, it had to end—and much sooner than either of them cared for—for, Eun-Jeong's phone suddenly gave off a loud ding!

Eun-Jeong reluctantly pulled away from their mutual state of bliss to check her message.

"Oh! I have to go, Oppa! My eomma and Aunt Alex are having the babies!"


A/N: Thoughts? Finally they kiss, right?! Well, I'm not a doctor, nor a musician, but I did my best to research how to play the guitar and how to relocate a dislocated shoulder. Speaking of which, I hope the relocation scene was not too sappy, haha… I even looked into how far people can fall from trees without injury, etc, but there are so many variables with that, lol. But forgive me for any inaccuracies. I hope this wasn't too long, and I hope it was OK… And I hope my English phrases and idioms make sense...I don't know the Korean equivalents for many of them.