Chapter 71: Hand to Hand Combat

Next Gen Magicians
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yuri and Mr. Lee rode the elevator down together. He requested that they go down first before Sunny and Mrs. Lee followed. Sunny was reluctant to allow this one on one time between her devious father and her beloved girlfriend, but she knew Yuri was a tough girl and her father wasn’t going to break her that easily. As soon as the elevator doors closed, Mr. Lee cleared his throat and indicated he had something to say to Yuri. She slowly turned to face him to see his previous confident. The mischievous face had faded to a much more serious one. He slowly took a small box out of his pocket, a box that Yuri knew all too well since she had purchased it only two days ago. Without a single ounce of hesitation, she pounced to retrieve it, but of course, Mr. Lee was much too quick for that. He turned towards her and raised an eyebrow. “Are you ashamed of me to see this?” He questioned.

“No, I just don’t want you to lose it. It means a lot to me.” Yuri stated sternly.

“I see why. According to Tiffany and CO’s website, it costs over $15000. Where did you get this money?” He questioned.

“I’ve been saving my prize money for a while. Wasn’t a hundred percent sure as to what I was saving it for until I made my mind up two days ago.” Yuri answered.

“I’m going to beat you, sir. I’m going to win this fight and earn my right to your daughter’s heart. So please give me the box back.” Yuri continued. He stared at her for a moment and noticed that there wasn’t a single stutter in her tone. She was dead serious about Sunny which made him smile, but only for a brief second. He couldn’t let her into his circle of trust so easily. “I admire your bravery, Yuri. Not once have you backed down when I’ve questioned you. You truly have a strong will, but words alone won’t win you my approval. If you beat me, you have my word that this box and its contents will return to you safe and sound. However, if you lose, you’ll lose the box and whatever future it may have had connected to its contents, do you understand?” He questioned calmly. Yuri could see he wasn’t playing a game or any sort of prank on her. Everything was on the table; the stakes were set, and the match would decide Sunri’s fate.

 

It was curious though, upstairs in the apartment, he had talked about ousting Taeyeon and everyone else about their abilities to the CIA, but now the only concern was for Sunny. Of course, Sunny meant a lot to both of them, but Yuri couldn’t let this detail slip unnoticed, so she had to ask him. “This spar... you’ve only mentioned Sunny at stake. What about my friends?” Yuri questioned.

“Is Sunny not enough of a gamble for you already, Yuri??” He questioned

“No sir, that’s not what I meant…” Yuri was about to continue before she was cut off by Mr. Lee.

“There’s no need for you to worry about your friends. Their secrets are safe with me. I was merely testing you, seeing which was more important to you. Sunny or your friends and naturally, being the strong-willed woman, you are, you picked both and demanded to defend both.” He explained.

“But what happened to ousting them? Revealing their abilities so that the agency can learn how they use their abilities??”

“I won’t lie, Yuri, multiple agencies have a high interest in these girls and what they’re capable of. Many people have been sent here to find them and given the fact I was able to piece it together so quickly, I think you guys need to watch your backs. But the reason why I left them out of this wager was because of what happened six months ago...”

“The fiasco.” Yuri cut him off.

“Yes, ‘the fiasco’. When that giant red beast was roaming the city, the estimated casualties was... the entire population of New York...”

“That wasn’t my friends’ faults, they were the ones...”

“I wasn’t finished,” it was Mr. Lee’s turn to cut Yuri off once again.

“You see, the red giant was an unknown, never before seen threat to the United States. And because of its immunity to regular ammunition and defense protocols, an executive decision to nuke New York was made in secret...”

“What?? How could they... how could the leaders of this country be so heartless!!?” Yuri shouted with shock.

“In their eyes, a few million casualties for the future safety of hundreds of millions of other lives is an easy decision to make, but lucky before that decision was put into action, your friends destroyed the beast. They saved millions of lives that day and after seeing what my superiors would have done if they were there to save the day, I acknowledge their gifts are best kept in their hands. If their destructive powers were to ever land in the hands of any reckless world leaders, who knows how long the world will last.” Mr. Lee stated. Yuri could see now, despite Mr. Lee’s suave facade, deep down he was serious about protecting everyone. A man who cared for not only his family’s lives, but for all other civilian inhabitants of America. He may not have any magic powers, but he was just as heroic as Taeyeon and her crew. Yuri could now see where Sunny’s caring nature had originated from. Sunny would care for people even if they didn’t deserve it, even if they treated her without a drop of respect, she would care for them all the same. Mr. Lee obviously doesn’t know everyone in New York City, but even with the entire country at risk, he didn’t believe sacrificing the lives of millions was the right call. Lives were lives, no matter how big nor small, everyone deserved to live and die on their own accord.

 

Mr. Lee could see from his peripheral view that Yuri was slowly nodding her head to everything he had just mentioned. She was growing soft for him after he confessed how much he admired her friends, but this fact wouldn’t affect their upcoming spar in the slightest. He would do everything within his power to win, even if Yuri was already a strong woman, who was capable of protecting Sunny. Once they got down to the bunker, they awaited of the arrival of Sunny and Mrs. Lee to watch the fight. Sunny knew just how competitive the both of them were so she created just a handful of ground rules to ensure neither of them legitimately injure each other. “Okay you two, listen up. This is a fight about me, I don’t know why you two are insistent to do something so pointless like this instead of talking it out like normal people…” Mr. Lee and Yuri were to explain why their actions were necessary for negotiation, but Sunny simply held her hand up and signaled she wasn’t listening to their excuse for violence. “… But since the two of you insist on using fighting as a means of negotiation, I’ve come up with some rules to keep you two safe. After all, neither of you are superpowered beings who can take multiple blows and be fine the next day. Rule number 1: This match will be best out of 5, so first to win three rounds wins. Rule number 2: the rounds will begin at the sound of this bell,” Sunny pulled out a small bike bell from her pocket. Where she had managed to pinch it from was a complete mystery, but it’s shade of pink would suggest it came from a bike that was never used anyhow. “Rule number 3: each round will be won when either person makes one, and only one, direct blow to the other. Just like fencing, except using your limbs. Blows to the arms and legs will be considered as blocks and not direct hits. Any contact with the back, chest, abdominal area, chest and head will be considered a blow. Please don’t actually aim for each other’s heads,” Sunny sighed.

“Seems easy enough, does each round have time limits?” Yuri questioned.

“Nope, go on for as long as you’d like until someone makes a direct hit.” Sunny answered.

“And what about technique? Can we use anything we won’t?” Mr. Lee questioned also.

“Anything will do, if I see anything I don’t like guys I’m ending the round, but both of you already know what's a dirty play. Both of your safeties are much higher priority here, so just don't hurt each other okay?.” Sunny stated.

 

Mr. Lee and Yuri shook each other’s hands and then took a few steps back to their respected sides. There weren’t any real border lines, but they decided to just use each column within the bunker as a corner for their ring. This was more then enough room for just the two of them to spar. Yuri and Sunny occupied one corner while Mr. Lee and Mrs. Lee occupied another. Sunny’s parents seemed to be in deep discussion, while Sunri were quite quiet. Sunny was expecting Yuri to be pumped and excited for a new challenge, but she was oddly calm about the fight ahead of her. Sunny didn’t want to intrude in her mind, so dimply asked her straight to her face. “Hey babe, you okay? If you don’t want to do this we can just call it. You know I won’t love you any less.” Sunny ensured.

“No, I’m ready. Acutally I’m more than ready.” Yuri smirked.

“Then why are you being so quiet? Whenever you’re pumped for a fight you’re usually up in the air and repeatedly telling yourself you can destroy the other guy.” Sunny questioned.

“I know, this is different though. Those matches were mostly to build up my rank, the prize money was just meh, but this one is different. This prize, means more to me than any amount of money, so I have to be focused right from the beginning. Not to mention that your father is a trained operative, I can’t take this lightly.” Yuri explained. Sunny couldn’t help but feel proud of her girlfriend, it was obvious that their relationship and their future was at stake. Even though Sunny knew she would love Yuri no matter what, she was still routing for Yuri to win. “It was about time someone came around to kick his .” She thought.

 

Both challengers stood up and faced one another, poise

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter