Chapter 38: The Legendary Kim Taeyeon

Next Gen Magicians
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was only 6:30 in the morning and the two Im sisters had already made their way over to the high school. As soon as Yoona had made it through the gates, she could be seen instantly sprinting through the deserted morning hallways, while dragging Seohyun the entire way. They finally made it to the sports achievements cabinet, where all the school's records and trophies were stored for all the sporting events. Seohyun had no idea as to why they were there but could tell that Yoona had found what she was looking for. “Yah, Yoong… Yoona-ah, what is it?” Seohyun asked as she tugged Yoona’s shirt.
“Her… those eyes are the exact same. I’m certain Seo, that Kim Taeyeon is Vermilion.” Yoona whispered.

“What? How? That can’t be. Vermilion seems like she’s a lot more mature than that, I mean Taeyeon was only a senior last year, if we had been at this school since then we would probably have even met her ourselves. There’s no way such a just heroine is still in their teenage years.” Seohyun reasoned.

“Seo, haven’t you ever heard of the rumors? That although Sooyoung was the captain of the team, many people say that Taeyeon was the true ace of the Phoenixes. Apparently, she had a flawless game, and finished the season with zero missed shots.” Yoona explained.

“So? She was a good player, doesn’t mean she can fly Yoong.”

“Come on Seo, be reasonable here. You may not play sport, but you know the probability of playing a season without missing a single shot, not even professional players in the NBA can achieve such a feat. Unless they chose to score a single shot per game. Plus, we already know Vermilion is an expert markswoman, it all makes sense Seo.”

“I don’t buy it Yoong, need hard evidence. At the moment all we have is your belief her eyes are a match and that she was an extraordinary basketball player, which doesn’t equate to a crime-fighting, superhero.” Seohyun reasoned.

“Do you always have to be skeptical when we know for a fact my gut instinct has been right almost 100% of the time?” Yoona pouted.

“Yah! You just said ‘almost’ 100% of the time, meaning there’s still a chance you can be wrong. I have to be skeptical otherwise no one else will be able to keep you in line.”

“Aish, fine, if this evidence doesn’t suffice we’ll just have to dig deeper then.” And off they went towards the school gym.

 

Amber, Krystal and Coach Victoria could be seen setting up the court for morning basketball practice and Yoona saw this as a perfect opportunity to ask some questions about the legendary Kim Taeyeon. Amber and Krystal seemed to be very busy with setting up the ball racks in the right positions, so Yoona decided the best of the three to ask questions was Victoria, who was simply examining her drawing board. “Umm Coach, do you have a minute?” Yoona asked slowly.

“Ah, for you girls always. If it weren’t for you too, who knows if this school would be having any sort of peace right now.” Victoria laughed.

“Thank you so much, Coach. I just wanted to ask if you knew anything interesting about Kim Taeyeon.”

“Huh? I haven’t heard that name for a while now, why the sudden interest?” Victoria asked suddenly.

“Well… ugh…” Yoona was beginning to choke up on her words.

“We heard she had great leadership qualities and since we want to become the student body president right now, we’d like to see how Taeyeon managed to be so reliable in pressured situations.” Seohyun cut into save her sister.

“Ah, yeah, that’s right.” Yoona nodded.

“Well, I’d have to agree that Taeyeon has exceptional leadership skills. She always knew how to involve not only herself but the team as well into the game, even when some members of the team were quite timid about their ability to play basketball. She always encouraged everyone to work as a team, but in crucial moments she wasn’t scared to take everything into her own hands. I remember one game against the Twice Knights, who were the second-highest ranked team in the district, she completely dominated them in the first half alone. She didn’t even play the rest of the game and we still won by fortyish points if I recall correctly.” Victoria laughed.

“Forty points!! And she only played half the game? You wouldn’t happen to have a tape of that game would you coach?” Yoona asked.

“Of course I do, it’s always mandatory to film the games nowadays for checking for unseen cheating and also for other schools to prepare their teams accordingly. Do you guys want to have a look at the tape? Come through to my office and I’ll put it on.” The two Im sisters diligently followed behind Victoria towards her office.

 

They all entered a small, cramped room which was completely filled to the brim with various basketball posters and inspiring quotes riddled all over the walls. “Sorry if it’s a mess, usually only the basketball team comes in so I don’t really bother clearing out any of the clutter. You two can have a seat on that couch.” Victoria pointed in a vague direction of the room and in that direction, Seohyun and Yoona could only see piles of stats sheets and basketball club forms. “Just push everything out of the way, I assure you there’s a couch there somewhere.” Victoria laughed. After Seohyun and Yoona had finally uncovered the dusty, worn out couch, they took a seat and waited for Victoria to wheel the old 90’s box television towards them. She then plugged the television and the DVD player into the wall and blew away the dust that covered the screen. “Okay here’s the tape. I’m gonna have to get going now as practice is going to start soon. You guys remember your way out?” Victoria asked.

“Yeah we remember, thanks so much Coach Victoria. No worries Krys… oh sorry, I mean Yoona. You two look so much alike, anyway, have fun watching the video.” Victoria bid the sisters farewell and returned to the school gym to commence their morning drills. Yoona pressed play on the remote and they began witnessing one of the greatest sporting performances they had ever seen. All the rumors were completely true. Like, her unmatched speed, her quick reflexes, her flawless shot, her blinding handles, her perfect passes and the list goes

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter