03: A neighbour with the most beautiful nostrils

Rollercoaster of a Life time

Once the final bell sounded allowing us to leave, I rushed out of the class only to end up going back because of course I'd forgotten my things (I don't even know how, but just don't ask).

Pushing past the sea of people who also seemed to be rushing, I gripped onto my bag strap tightly with one hand and held my book with the same hand as I used my other to search my pocket for money in hopes of catching a bus because if I didn't, I'd end up having to run all the way home and I didn't need to be sweating like a pig in the middle of Spring.

When I eventually found some money, I hurried to the bus stop, making it just in time.

The bus doors began to close, but I was quick enough to arrive at the doors at that moment. Not quite thinking, I placed my hand between the doors because I honestly thought that bus doors work like elevators or those automatic doors, but unfortunately, I ended up being wrong and ended up suppressing a yelp when the doors closed on my hand.

The bus driver stared in shock before moving to press a button that opened the door.

"Are you alright?" he asked me, trying to see my hand hidden behind my back (for the purpose of not worrying anyone and because it hurt like hell and I was really hoping that if I kept it against something soft, it would feel a whole lot better) to which I nodded and smiled, holding out the money.

He shook his head and pushed my hand holding the money away gently as he said, "No, no, no, you can have today free since it is my fault you hurt your hand."

After thanking him and getting on, I mentally groaned at the sight of the over-filled bus.

Scanning the isles, I silently thanked Mother Nature upon seeing an empty seat near the back of the bus. I couldn't quite see the person who sat there as well except for the mop of black hair that rested against the window.

Walking toward the seat, I stopped just short of it when I noticed who the mop of black hair belonged to.

Immediately, I took back my thanks from Mother Nature because I mean, why? Out of the people in the world, why did it have to be this person who couldn't have made it much clearer that I was just another nuisance in his life?

His head was turned at an angle as he looked out of the window and he had his earphones in and I could not help but notice how relaxed he appeared in that moment.

How I wish I could take a picture of him in that moment.

No! What the hell am I saying? He's the enemy! He's evil! I cannot be thinking stupid things such as that! It's not acceptable. Unacceptable, as Lemon Grab from Adventure Time would say.

I was about to walk passed and maybe try and find another seat; heck, I would sit on someone's lap rather than sit next to someone who hated me.

However, luck was never on my side as the bus drove off, making me lose my footing and fall forward.

Before I could even hit the floor of the bus, an arm shot out and curled around my waist before successfully pulling me down into the very seat I was hoping to avoid. Immediately after I was safely seated, the arm pulled away as if burnt by my touch.

And the owner of said arm was sporting the glare I felt was especially for me.

"Are you some sort of idiot stalker?" he asked, his glare not one softening or showing any sign of going away any time soon.

Looking at him, in response I simply shook my head to which he rolled his eyes and scoffed as he muttered, "Then how are you everywhere I go?"

"Ever hear of coincidences?"

"You wish it were all coincidences," he retorted before looking out of the window again.

Not bothering to reply, I simply looked away toward the front. He was so mean, it wasn't even funny.

I could literally picture myself going back and visiting the big guy up there and while he was busy making the guy beside me, I would grab all of the sugar and toss it into the mixture before disappearing so that when I met him for the first time, instead of wondering if he were not supposed to be sweet, my first thought would be something like, "He's as sweet as his name. Suga suits him most definitely."

Too lost in my thoughts, I didn't notice when the bus stopped until a loud groan came from the person beside me.

Looking up, I frowned when I noticed that we'd stopped in the middle of the road.

Everyone watched as the bus driver got up and stepped out of the bus for a few moments. A loud bang was heard from the front before he walked in again and sighed, shaking his head and turning to face us before bowing.

"I apologise for this everyone, but it seems the bus has crashed, if you will. It refuses to start, but I will contact someone to come and help us shortly if you are willing to wait."

And sure enough, everyone on the bus seemed willing to wait, most of them looking like they were used to this by now. Hoping a little too much for an answer to my silent question, I turned to look at Suga who beat me around the bush as he spoke in that voice of his that I swore would be able to manipulate people without even trying, "This isn't the first time it's happened, but he's one of the best bus drivers in the area. People trust him more than the others."

Nodding in understading, I turned away and looked down at my watch only to freeze.

Turning to look at him again, I asked the only other question I had in my mind.

"How long will it take?"

"A half an hour tops," he replied without any hesitation.

I couldn't wait that long. Who knew what would happen to my grandmother if I didn't get home as soon as possible? I mean, I didn't even want to leave her at home alone, but she insisted as she ushered me out of bed and out the front door this morning.

Groaning, I collected my things before standing up effectively, though it wasn't my intention, catching the boy's attention as he asked, "Where on earth are you going?"

Not looking at him, I muttered, "Home," before walking down the aisle of the bus, holding my hand carefully to my chest and greeting a goodbye to the bus driver who looked confused and baffled at the fact that I was actually getting off.

He followed me, his phone still clutched tightly in his hand as he stood on the steps of the bus and called out, "Girl, where are you going? The other bus will be here in no more than thirty minutes!"

He just didn't understand. 

Turning slightly, I gave an awkward smile as I explained, "I'm kind of in a hurry. I need to get home now. "

Slowly, understanding filled his dark brown eyes before he spoke again.

"Do you need a lift?"

I shook my head and smiled again before turning and walking off.

When I was at least fifteen minutes away from the house, my fast walk turned into a mad dash as I raced home, nearly falling as I did so, but nevertheless, I didn't stop until I got to the front door of the two-story apartment my father had gotten for my grandmother when she had no place to stay. 

We would have let her stay with us, but back then we were staying in a little apartment with almost no space.

It'd been the last house I stayed in with them.

Fishing for my keys, I managed to retrieve them from the left pocket of my school bag before I frantically searched for the key to the house and unlocked the door.

Barging into the house, I removed my shoes in such haste that one of my socks had come off with it. I dumped my bag by the door and walked inside as I called out for my grandmother who I honestly hoped was okay.

When I received no answer, I began to worry.

That is, until I walked through the living room door only to find my grandmother asleep in the one seat couch with her favourite blanket falling off of her.

Walking over, I gently adjusted it so that it draped over her from her shoulders down.

Just as I did so and my hand brushed against her shoulder, she stirred in her sleep before her eyes fluttered open and a smile graced her lips upon the sight of me.

"Jamie, you're home."

Forcing a smile, I nodded as I asked her softly, "Were you waiting for me, grandma?"

Instead of replying as she should have, I watched as her eyes widened and she tried sitting up but I was quick to place a hand on her shoulder and gently push her back down, frowning in concern at her sudden reaction to whatever the hell she had remembered.

"I forgot to make supper."

Of course she'd be more worried about that than her health.

"Don't worry, I'll make supper tonight, okay? You can just rest," I spoke gently as I tried to convince her and though it took a while, soon I found myself in the kitchen making the supper with ingredients that were left on the counter.

The food didn't take too long and I found myself eating alone as my grandmother decided to retire to bed for the night.

Looking at the time, I realized that it was only a little after six and I tried to recall why I'd been home so late. It then occurred to me that if we came out a little after four and I was on the bus for about half an hour, I'd taken about an hour and a half just to walk home.

"Why did I take so long?" I asked to nobody in particular as I continued to eat the bowl of ramen I'd attempted to make for the first time in my life (jokes, it's the second time I tried making it and it was better than the first considering I'd burnt it the first time). Shaking my head, I promised to myself that I would try and arrive a little earlier. 

"Maybe I can ask the school for permission to leave earlier."

Just as the words left my mouth, the doorbell rang, causing me to freeze in place.

Crap, crap, crap. Maybe the principal had those super hearing powers and overheard what I said. Maybe he was upset (I'm pretty sure the principal is a guy, but I wouldn't know since I never met him) because I dared to even think that.

Wait, what if he could read minds too?

Mentally slapping myself, I mumbled, "This is reality. What am I even thinking?"

Slowly placing my half eaten bowl down and getting up, I tried to peek into the hole in the door before realizing that it wasn't a peep hole but in fact a little hole made when my dad had tried to make a peephole. 

Sometimes I worried about him. I used to worry about him a lot.

When the doorbell rang again, followed by a knock, I walked over to the door and opened it slowly.

Before me stood a beautiful guy with orange-ish hair which I'm guessing was due to the dye colour he'd used fading. He had one of the biggest smiles you'd ever seen in the world and the most perfect nostrils ever (don't judge me, I promise you they were absolutely perfect! And if you don't see it, you are a fool).

"Oh, sorry, I must- No, no, no, this is the right house," he said after checking the number and just like the other two beautiful men I'd met, his voice was just... No words could describe it.

Looking at him more closely, I noted the black yoga-like tracksuit pants and white wife-beater he had on along with black and white sneakers that looked a little over worn, but nevertheless awesome, the bag slung over his shoulder that read J-Hope­ across it which led me to believe that the guy before me was a dancer. His hair sticking to his forehead gave away that he had been moving around a lot and if you put the pieces together, it made sense.

"Are you a relative of the woman that stays here?" he asked, pulling me out of my thoughts to which I nodded in response.

"Granddaughter," is my instant reply.

"I see, I see. Well, it's nice to meet you. I stay next door and I usually come by to check on her after dance practice. I'm glad she has a relative to look after her though."

I should have made a bet with myself. I could have allowed myself to eat the cookies in the cupboard if I was right, which I was.

Gently shaking his hand, I nodded.

"If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask. My mother enjoys meeting new people and I'm sure she would be ecstatic to know that your grandmother does have someone. She's always worried and wondering things like that. She always invited your grandmother over for supper and lunch and even though the mornings were rushed, she'd find a way to squeeze in breakfast."

"I see. Well, thank you to you and your mother for looking after her."

His smile widened. Did he ever not smile?

"You are welcome."

And he proceeded to walk off. I was just about to close the door when he stopped and turned around before calling out to me, "Excuse me?"

"Y- Yeah?"

"Which school do you attend?"

How to I answer that when I don't even know what the name of the school is. And suddenly, it hit me and I replied, "It's about an hour walk from here."

At my reply, he appeared to in thought when it clicked and he grinned.

"I see. Thanks and maybe I'll see you around."

With that, the stranger who I assumed was J-Hope was off, returning to his own home which was only a few feet away from mine, separated by a little white fence.

As I closed the door, I couldn't help but think that this was so weird. That was the third beautiful boy I had met in just one day. How is that even possible?

"And he had such perfect nostrils."