17: Rooftop

Rollercoaster of a Life time

 

"Who are you?" Yoongi asked, a tone of accusation taking over as he spoke which of course didn't go unnoticed by the rest of the group who had turned to see who had currently spoken.

I, however, couldn't give much of an input as I was frozen at the sight of him in the very building I'd transferred to so that I could get away from him. My mind was still trying to process it as I stared at the brown haired male who grinned widely as though nothing was wrong. Gosh, he didn't even bother answering Yoongi's question; his gaze stayed on me all the time.

"I'm speaking to you," Yoongi yells as he stands up causing the other male to turn and face the black haired male out of defence. As he does, Yoongi repeats himself.

"Who are you?"

The boy stands still, lowering his fists as his eyes shift past all seven boys and Tazneen and landing on me, "Want to tell them who I am, Jampop?"

At the mention of the nickname, the memories come flying back making me unconsciously flinch. Jungkook, on the other side of me, noticed this and ended up placing a hand on my shoulder as he squeezed it gently.

When I finally manage to pull myself out of the daze I'd fallen in, I see that all of them are looking at me expectantly.

A sigh leaves my lips and I know I have the power to say no and have him introduce himself, I know I'm not being forced to say this but the thing that I felt the most in that moment was how much I missed saying his name; it'd been over nine months ago.

"Everyone, this is Jackson Wang, my ex-boyfriend."

I see the way Yoongi turns to the other male, hands fisted and his eyes narrowed into a glare in a way that made me feel safe because I knew he was being protective despite past events; he was making up for his mistakes and acting all brotherly.

Jin's eyes shifted so that he looked at me, a question dancing in his brown eyes that made me frown until he voiced it, "Do you want to speak to him?"

Now, these words caught the attention of Jackson and Yoongi once again who turned to look at me.

"Jampop, do you want to speak to me?"

I didn't hesitate to answer as I immediately shook my head and averted my gaze. My body tensed when I heard him speak again, trying to get past Yoongi and Namjoon who stopped him in his tracks.

"Well why the hell not?" his voice is a soft exclaim that has me wanting to disappear.

My eyes never leave him as I watch him struggle against Namjoon and Yoongi, Jin now behind him and attempting to hold him back.

His eyes shift over to Jungkook as an order leaves his lips, "Take them and go, Jungkook."

And because its Jin, Jungkook nods as he stands, grabbing both Tazneen's hand as well as mine and pulling us along to the other side of the cafeteria where the other double doors were found which led to the west wing of the school.

As we run, the sound of the bell ringing stops us in our tracks as we freeze, my glasses nearly falling off in the process had I not been quick enough to push it up.

"We should get to class," Tazneen says before pulling out a half a page and analysing it before she spoke up without a glance, "Do you know where I can find the art class with Mr Hessiah?" I want to help my new friend out, but I'm both blanked out and just as clueless as she was as I didn't take art. I'd wanted to, but I'd chosen music and I assumed I couldn't take both.

And so, Jungkook comes to the rescue.

"Yeah, it's just up this corridor, take a left and you'll find it. He's the only teacher that leaves his name beside his door," Jungkook explains.

Tazneen smiles up at him and bows before running off, already five minutes late and clearly not wanting to be a minute later.

I cuss softly to myself as I realize that my next class was gym and that was in the north wing. But choosing to ignore it, I look at Jungkook and I wonder how he knows. I had no clue whether he took the subject or not and if he did, when because right now, I had gym and I happened to share that class with both him and Taehyung.

"I take art. I don't get it today," he explains as he starts walking off, but in the opposite direction of our next period making me frown in confusion.

"Hey, where are you going?" I call out with a frown.

He doesn't give me a proper answer, just turns and gestures for me to follow which I do, not wanting to be left alone in the corridors as I'd not been on this side of the school before.

Following him takes me to a long set of stairs that has me regretting my idea to follow him.

I don't know what it is, but despite the regret, I find myself still following him until the very top where a door was located. My eyebrows furrow in confusion until Jungkook opens it, glancing back at me with a small smirk before he walks through the door, me following moments later to see that we're on the school roof.

It was your normal, everyday rooftop of a school; like the ones you saw on those animes or k-dramas.

As I finished turning around to get a whole view of the rooftop, I find myself alone on the rooftop.

Panic rises inside me because of course, if I needed to get back to class, I would get lost considering I didn't take the time to focus on which way we were going.

"Great going, Jamie," I whisper to myself, head lowering as I try to think and hopefully get some idea of the way we had come.

But I get nothing and instead let out a soft sigh.

That is, until I feel a light tap on my shoulder making me jump and turn around more quickly than ever before.

"Did I scare you?" Jungkook asks, holding out an apple juice and a packet of crisps to which I gladly accepted, shaking my head and refusing to admit that he indeed scared me. I mean what if he laughed or something?

Instead, I looked at him with a frown as I asked, "Why did you bring me here?"

As I wait for him to answer, I watch as he walks over the wall beside the door where he takes a seat and glances up at me moments later expectantly and so, with much hesitancy, I walk over to him before taking a seat beside him, our backs against the wall and shoulders brushing against each other's sending a jolt through my body which I chose to ignore.

Detaching the straw from the juice box, I poked it through the hole and began drinking.

We were left with a comfortable silence between us before Jungkook finally decided to answer me; his head turned a little as he looked at me while he spoke, "We were five minutes late already. We didn't have our clothes yet, it would have taken us forever to change. The teacher is strict and..." he trails off and looks away.

"And?" I press on, leaning forward a little only to be pushed back as he chuckled, "And I didn't much feel like gym today."

I rolled my eyes at the last thing he'd said and mumbled, "What a wonderful excuse," before I turn my head and continue drinking my apple juice.

I suppose he doesn't much like the silence as I feel a nudge and look to see him bumping his shoulder against mine. When he's seen that I'm looking, he gives off one of the most adorable bunny toothed smile that has my heart skipping a beat.

"You looked," he says.

"Unfortunately," I reply before looking away.

I can't stop my mind from going back to Jackson and the boys and I wonder what they had done with him. I don't think I would be happy if he'd gotten hurt. I mean, sure he hurt me, but that doesn't justify us hurting him in return. You never fight fire with fire so why prevent pain by causing it?

Maybe I was just overthinking again.

All these thoughts, however, had me feeling drowsy and my head feeling heavier and heavier as my eyes struggled to stay open.

As my head hits something hard yet comfortable, I hear a voice before all is blank, "What did you see in him, Jamie?"