Chapter Four

When We Return
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Four

 

“Mister, where are you going?” I asked for like, a millionth time, but he continued to walk without even sparing me a glance. Making me look like a speck of dust carried away by the wind.  Where was the guy who made fun of me on the elevator? Tsk.

I made a face. He’s so moody. I don’t know where he was going but I still followed him. While we’re walking, I took the chance to look at the surroundings. It’s nearly night time so most of the streets lights are on and I can’t help but admire how the place is so lively with people pacing back and forth in front of me.

I faced the guy walking ahead of me and stared at his broad wide shoulders. It must be nice to have a piggyback ride against him.

Stop right there, Sowon. What are you thinking?

I shrugged the thought off of my head and think of something else. Then my mind wandered to when I was 12, my father brought me to a toy world because I got the highest score in my science quiz. I was too old to play on the toy world but I forced myself to enjoy, to show my father that I was happy enough to satisfy him.

Since I was a kid, my father never let me slack off. He orders me to study and study, making a great barrier between me and social life. He often told me that I don’t even need friends, that they will only use me because I’m smart.

Happiness for me is making my father proud. So, I live my life making him proud of me, and making him proud is where I got the chance to be together with him, just like what he did when I was 12.

It’s kind of tiring, I tell you. But it makes my heart warm every time my father would congratulate me whenever I made it to the top. And it makes me want to strive harder, just to see my father’s face smiling at me.

I promise to buy you what you want if you perfect all your exams.

Name your prize, sweetie. You made me proud.

Oh?! You’re number one! Why am I not surprised?

And thinking now that he hates me because I disappointed him, for the very first time, left a big hole in my heart. The last thing I want to do is to disappoint him but look at me now. I’m thrown to a place very far from my parents because of that one single mistake.

“Ow!” I halt to a stop when I bump into this man’s back, hitting my nose to his sling bag, making me massaged the sore spot. I wonder if it had somehow made my nose flat.

I watch him turn to me with his bored look so I just stared back at him. What does he want now?

But the silence that followed was almost like a whole thirty minutes when in fact it’s just a few seconds and I can’t hold up his hard stare so I speak up.

“What now?”

“Why are you crying?” I instantly touched my cheeks and it’s wet with tears. I wasn’t aware that I’m already crying. Sheesh.

“Sorry, I’m just reminded of my father.” I wiped my tears away and when I’m sure my cheeks are dry, the tears earlier were replaced with heat as he was staring intently at me.

“What are you looking at?”

“neowa mwol haeyahalji moleugessda” (I don’t know what to do with you) and he sighed deeply.

My forehead creased in confusion. Is he mocking me now?

“You know I can’t understand Korean!” instead of translating it for me, he ignored me and turned to walk again. I stood on my ground and didn’t follow him. If he’s going to continue to treat me like this the whole night then might as well go back to my apartment and lock myself inside.

I seriously can’t understand him! If he doesn’t want to be with me then the same goes with me! Making my way back to my apartment, I stomped heavily on the ground and muttered under my breath.

“Mother why did you gave me a cold-hearted company? I swear I won’t— AH! !” my body instantly jerked when my left arm was yanked from behind and I turned to see the face of the guy whose name is a mystery to me. Maybe I should settle for Kim.

“What the hell is your problem?!” This is the umpteenth time he almost made my soul leave my body. Is this what he’s good at? Sheesh.

“Where are you going? Why aren’t you following me?” Oh, ho? So, he wants me to follow him now? This guy is really nuts, I definitely can’t, and never will understand his attitude.

“I thought you want me gone!” I said exasperatedly. The space between his eyebrows furrowed making him look ten times hotter.

Hot? Ha ha ha, Sowon you’re nuts too.

“I didn’t say that!” his voice slightly rising. So, he’s going to shout at me now? Bring it on then.

“You just did in Korean! I know you had just mocked me and told me to get lost. Ha, just because I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter