Simple And Clean Is The Way That You're Making Me Feel Tonight

I'd Agree With You, But Then We'd Both Be Wrong

AN: When you realize that Seulgi and Irene never finished FFXV and suddenly you've written a whole kinda-sorta epilogue of sorts. Pretty much pure fluff and slice of life lol Basically Seulrene loving life and their friends trolling the hell out of them. Enjoy!

 

--

It takes a while, but they finally do it. After another two months of late Saturday nights and early Sunday mornings, they finally finish Final Fantasy XV. Hours of leveling and scouring for items and clearing chapters had paid off, and they'd achieved the perfect ending. To say it feels rewarding is a bit of an understatement.

"I want a type of love like Noctis and Luna," Irene sighs happily, referring to the main characters of the game. She leans over and rests her head on Seulgi's shoulder, eyes still trained on the screen in front of them, watching the final cutscene play out. "They're together, even in the afterlife. That's really beautiful. Can we be like that, Seul?"

"I think I'd like that," Seulgi smiles, reaching up to ruffle Irene's hair before leaning forward to place the PS4 controller down on on the coffee table. It's a bit more than an understatement; Seulgi would pray everyday to Whatever Figure Up There to guarantee her a spot next to Irene in the afterlife. And that's an idea beyond heavenly. "I think I'd really like that."

"Finishing feels kinda bittersweet," Irene continues, the look on her face becoming contemplative. Seulgi finds herself nodding in agreement. "We don't have a game to play on Seulgi and Irene Saturdays anymore."

"We can always start a new one," Seulgi says, pulling Irene into a loose embrace, wrapping her arms around the older girl's waist. She rests her chin on Irene's shoulder, a teasing smile playing at her lips. "It's not like Seulgi and Irene Saturdays are going to end just because we've finished our first game."

Irene hums, shrugging her shoulders. "It won't be as special as Final Fantasy XV though."

"No," Seulgi agrees thoughtfully, but then an idea sparks and she leans in to press a kiss into her girlfriend's hair. "But think of it like this: there's an endless amount of games out there. Just like you and me, Irene; we're endless. We've finished one game together, and that was just the beginning of the adventure."

They've been together for a few months now, and Irene doesn't think that she could ever grow weary of the look that sparks in Seulgi's eyes whenever the younger girl gets passionate. Those hummingbirds are still as damn powerful as ever.

"I like that idea," Irene says, turning around to plant a peck on Seulgi's lips. "I really like that idea."

Seulgi grins. "Glad we're on the same page."

Irene snorts and hits her arm playfully. Seulgi laughs and pulls her in again.

--

They're not really too different from before, Seulgi realizes. That is to say, "Girlfriends Seulgi and Irene" aren't actually drastically different from "Single Seulgi" and "Single Irene." The silly refrigerator conversations are still there. They still appreciate each other through gifts of food. And Seulgi and Irene Saturdays are definitely still a thing.

But there are a few differences— good differences. Seulgi can't really judge whether they can be considered "drastic" or not, but they're definitely there, and Seulgi definitely loves them.

For one, there's more touching now, especially since Irene's always been one for skinship, and she loves to latch onto Seulgi's arm and nuzzle her face into younger girl's shoulder. There's also the frequent discussion of whose room they're going to sleep in every night, because after Seulgi had gone one night with Irene in her arms, she never wanted to let her go. Public Displays of Affection (also known as PDA) are very real things, and occasionally (or more than occasionally) go beyond simple skinship. And the frequent scoldings and reminders to "tune it down" from their friends are reminder enough.

Yeah, there's not much of a difference between Seulgi and Irene before and after they started dating. They're still the same Seulgi and Irene, just a bit more.

--

It's almost scary how quickly Wendy, Joy, and Yeri take to Irene. Incredibly scary. Seulgi almost regrets introducing them.

Well, Irene with Wendy is fine. In fact, it's pretty endearing. The two of them share a common interest in cooking and baking, so for Friday Friend Nights (which unfortunately become things that are held in Seulgi and Irene's apartment thanks to Joy and Yeri's insistence), while everyone else brings some sort of takeout to contribute, Irene and Wendy meet up early to collaborate on some masterful dish that everyone ends up loving and fighting over the leftovers for.

Seulgi's walked in on them talking about her on multiple occasions while in the kitchen too.

"Really? Seulgi did that?"

"Of course! She was seriously talented in art back in high school."

"What are you two talking about?" Seulgi asks, a wide smile on her face that lets Irene know that she overheard them talking.

"You never told me that you won first in a national art competition," Irene exclaims, whirling around to look at Seulgi with wide eyes. "I knew you were good, but not that good! You're painting me one day," she demands, and Seulgi laughs.

"Sure thing, Hyun."

Seulgi decides that she doesn't mind when Wendy and Irene talk about her.

The same can't be said for Yeri and Joy.

Seulgi doesn't even have to walk into the room to overhear them. She could be in the bathroom, and Irene is with Yeri and Joy in the living room, but she can still listen in on their ridiculously loud voices through the walls. She wishes that she had thicker walls.

"You should've seen her, Irene! Seulgi was so embarrassed!" and "She couldn't look at the girl for weeks after that!"

A laugh from Irene. "That must've been funny."

Afterwards, when Irene gets into bed with her, Seulgi pulls her girlfriend in close, buries her face in Irene's hair, and mutters, "Please stop listening to them."

And Irene only chuckles, leaning up to press a kiss against Seulgi's jaw. "Seul, trust me, it only makes me love you more. Plus, their anecdotes support my theory that you are, in fact, the cutest baby bear in all of existence. And you're mine."

Okay, so maybe Joy and Yeri's stories about her excursions in high school aren't actually that bad.

(Seulgi's about to fall asleep when she hears Irene whisper, "and I think that it's really, really noble how you denied to kiss a girl during truth or dare because you didn't want to steal her first kiss against her will." Seulgi hugs her tighter.)

--

"Have you chosen a new game for us to start playing, Seul?" Irene asks over dinner one night, just a few days after their completion of Final Fantasy XV.

"Actually," Seulgi swallows her food and places down her chopsticks, "I was thinking that you could choose the next game we play."

"Me?" Irene's eyes widen. "Are you sure?"

Seulgi giggles at the reaction. "Of course. I chose the last one, so it's your turn this time."

"Okay..." Irene nods slowly, and Seulgi can practically see the gears in the writer's head turning. "That sounds reasonable..."

--

"Why is choosing a game so hard?" Irene whines the next night, when they're at the dinner table again, eating hamburgers because Irene had called Seulgi after work and demanded that she bring home junk food.

Irene pouts, resting her head down on the kitchen table, and Seulgi grins, reaching over to mess with Irene's hair (It's Seulgi's new favorite thing to do with Irene. The older girl always looks absolutely adorable with her hair all over the place.)

"You're thinking too hard, Hyun," Seulgi scolds lightly. "It's just a game! And you know that I'd play anything with you and find some way to enjoy it."

Irene looks up from beneath where she's buried in her arms. "So if I asked you to play Goat Simulator with me for hours, you would do it?" she asks innocently.

Seulgi bursts out laughing, the noise booming through the kitchen, and Irene smiles from where Seulgi can't see it. Oh dear god, Goat Simulator... (Seulgi still has nightmares from the atrocities that she's committed while playing that game with Moonbyul during the late nights in college.)

"Oh, Hyun," Seulgi exclaims once she's calmed down enough, wiping tears from her laughter out of her eyes. "Did Byul tell you about that? But yes, I'd love to run around as a goat and blow up buildings, objects, and other humans with you. I'd play that game with you all night if you wanted me to!"

--

Seulgi decides really quickly that she absolutely loves Irene's friends. Like, really, really loves them.

Other than Moonbyul, who had already adopted Seulgi as her own, Irene's friend group includes Solar, Wheein, and Hwasa. Seulgi likes to think of them as the more mature-looking, but equally-as-hyperactive-if-not-more version of her own friends.

Especially Wheein and Hwasa. Most especially Wheein and Hwasa, or Wheesa, as Seulgi's come to refer to them as. They're like Joy and Yeri in a sense— best friends and true soulmates to the end, and just as trolling as Joyri. They like to classily make fun of Irene, and unlike Joy and Yeri, who are all exaggerated story after exaggerated story, Wheein and Hwasa are subtle, sly remarks that leave Seulgi wanting more and more details.

"Pass me the tomato, Seulgi?" Irene asks from where she's cooking at the stove, and her girlfriend nods obediently and hands her the red fruit (or vegetable? Seulgi and Irene have had extensive conversations on this topic). They're at Solar and Moonbyul's place, Wheein and Hwasa in tow, with the latter two lounging at the kitchen table as Seulgi "helps" Irene cook.

"You are going to cut that tomato with a knife, aren't you, Irene?" Hwasa says conspiratorially, a smile quirking at the corner of her full-lips.

Irene freezes, suddenly turning back to glare at Hwasa. Seulgi her head curiously.

"Yes," she says dryly, "I am."

Next to the smirking Hwasa, Wheein is besides herself, holding her stomach as she continues to crack up with no end in sight.

"You're positive about that, Rene?" Wheein asks amidst spastic guffaws, and Irene throws her head back in a playful groan.

"Yes!" Irene exclaims, coughing to cover up her own giggles. She struggles to control herself, attempting to keep her tone of voice stern. "And it was just once! Let it go, you two! Now shut up before this knife ends up somewhere other than in this tomato— for example, in your head."

Seulgi frowns, looking between the two parties with increasing interest. "What on earth happened, and do I actually want to know?"

Irene shouts, "no!" at the same time Wheein and Hwasa yell, "hell yes!"

And Seulgi's about to question the girls further when Moonbyul and Solar casually walk in, paper bags of food in their arms.

"What are we talking about?" Moonbyul asks, setting down the bags. Behind her, Solar approaches their fridge and pulls out a soda.

"About Irene and tomatoes," Hwasa answers, and Moonbyul barks out a laugh as Solar spits out her soda, suddenly busting her sides open in laughter.

"Oh man, I never thought that you would actually go as far as to use your dirty room key to cut a tomato," Solar cackles, and Irene groans, dropping the knife and tomato down on the cutting board and hitting her head against a cabinet instead.

Seulgi's face is a look of pure amusement. She's been perfecting her -eating grin from the day Irene first showed Seulgi hers. Now is exactly the opportune time to use it.

"Wait, Hyun, you did what?"

Irene turns to Seulgi, hands waving in front of her and eyes wide.

"Okay, I can explain."

("I can't believe you were too lazy to wash the dishes so you used your room key to cut a tomato," Seulgi says, late that night, as they're cuddling in bed. Irene reaches out to swat Seulgi. "It was my first time ever trying pot brownies, okay? I was high, and it was such a traumatizing experience that I vowed to never touch one ever again," the older girl says, pouting, and Seulgi chuckles, bringing Irene closer to her.)

--

Irene visits Seulgi's dance studio one afternoon, having nothing better to do after turning in a final draft for a new novel which her editor had praised with much reverence.

Stepping through the studio's threshold, Irene allows herself to admire the high-class atmosphere of the building. From the pristine lobby to the black and white modern theme, Irene can tell that anyone who danced here had to be truly dedicated to the art, and a wave of pride for her girlfriends sweeps through her being. She knows no one more dedicated to dance than Seulgi, after all (though she might be biased, but Irene will never admit that.)

Through the glass window visible straight from the lobby, Irene spies Seulgi in the middle of teaching a class some intense choreography, and the older girl bites her lip to unsuccessfully hide a smile. Seulgi hasn't noticed her yet, but she's more than happy to finally watch Seulgi in her element.

She's been standing silently by the window for perhaps five minutes when a voice behind her interrupts her thoughts.

"Excuse me, miss, is there anything I can help you with?"

"Hm?" Irene turns around to see a girl with a high ponytail and yoga pants, clearly another choreographer at the studio.

"Oh, no, but thank you," Irene says. "I'm just watching my girlfriend teach her class."

"Ah!" A look of recognition spreads across the other girl's face at Irene's statement. "So you're Irene! Seulgi talks about you quite a bit."

"Does she now?" Irene smirks, somehow not surprised in the slightest. Of course Seulgi would brag a little.

The other choreographer laughs. "Yeah, never shuts up.” Alright, maybe more than a bit of talking. “I'm Lee Yoojung, by the way. I'm another choreographer here."

Irene snaps her fingers, suddenly realizing why her new acquaintance looks so familiar. "That's how I remember you! You're in that one photo of Seulgi and her dance crew. I all the time for having such an extensive harem."

Yoojung smiles slyly, saluting Irene jokingly. "Proud OG member of the Seulgi harem, reporting for duty." Leaning in as if to tell a secret, Yoojung whispers, "We call ourselves Seulgi and the Bedwarmers, because, y'know, someone has to do it," and she and Irene burst into laughter, Irene keeling over from laughing so hard.

"Oh my god," Irene wheezes, clutching her stomach. "That," she gasps between giggles, "is quite possibly the best thing I have ever heard. Especially," she breaks into spastic giggles again, "about my beautiful Kang Seulgi."

Yoojung chuckles, patting Irene on the back in a friendly fashion.

"I can see why Seulgi loves you so much," Yoojung says, smiling, and Irene flushes. "I walked in here and saw the way you were watching her dance, like, I don't know... like she was the best thing on this planet. I should've known who you were from that look alone."

"I'm not exactly subtle, am I?" Irene chuckles softly, and Yoojung shakes her head, the choreographer grinning.

"It really suits you though," Yoojung concludes, and Irene smiles at her gratefully. "Like, I can really tell that you two love each other."

"It's nice," Irene admits. It's feels good to talk so openly like this. She doesn't know Yoojung that well, and Yoojung really doesn't know her, but Irene realizes that sometimes, it's almost therapeutic to talk to an acquaintance. Irene loves her friends, she really does, but they could be... overwhelming at times.

"It's really nice. What Seulgi and I have, it's..." Irene pauses, fishing through her brain for the right word, "It's simple. And that used to worry me. I'm a writer who loves to read, so I guess I had this notion that anything without a complex plot-line just wasn't right, but Seulgi taught me that there's really nothing wrong with simple."

"Sometimes, simple is best," Yoojung agrees. "As a dancer, I can agree. I like simple. Seulgi does too. I think that's why she and I get along so well— we've both got the same style of dancing. Smooth, intense, and precise. Why would you go with an overly complicated routine when you can keep things simple and clean?"

Irene smiles. "I can understand that, really. Hey," she takes a step back from Yoojung, smirking as she perfectly replicates and demonstrates a short portion of the dance that Seulgi had been teaching her class earlier.

"Think I'm good enough to join Seulgi's harem?" Irene asks, and Yoojung laughs again.

"Oh gosh, definitely," Yoojung grins, holding out a hand that the writer takes. "Welcome to the Bedwarmers! Oh, speak of the devil..."

Both girls turn around to the sound of the door to the practice room opening.

"Irene!" Seulgi exclaims jovially, moving forward to hug and plant a kiss on Irene's cheek in greeting. "What are you doing here?"

Irene shrugs, content with melting into Seulgi's over-the-shoulder embrace. "I felt like seeing you, and I had nothing better to do."

"Aren't you supposed to be teaching a class, Seulgi?" Yoojung asks, cocking an inquiring eyebrow at the younger choreographer.

It's Seulgi's turn to shrug. "My students kept asking who you were, Hyun.” She motions back through the glass mirror, where her students are all watching the exchange with eager, provoking grins. “And someone,” Seulgi drawls, shooting a particularly icy glare at one particular smirking male, “spoke of making moves on you. I'm talking about you, Kim Taehyung!”

Irene giggles as her girlfriend continues to give the stink to the boy with the Cheshire cat-like smirk.

“I don't know, Seul,” Irene says in a singsong tone, Yoojung snorts. “I've been thinking of starting my own harem recently…”

Seulgi steps back, eyes wide and affronted in horror, and she places two hands on Irene’s shoulders in earnest. “Please don't tell me that you two were talking about my nonexistent harem again,” she pleads, but by the look on her friends’ faces, she's already too late.

“Oh, come on, guys!” Seulgi whines. “Okay, Yoojung, I never gave you the green light to call yourselves the Bedwarmers, and Hyun, I promise I'll give you my support in virtually anything you do, but if you create your own harem, I swear I will track personally every single members down and beat them up myself.”

--

“What's on your mind?” Irene asks, wrapping her arms around Seulgi's waist later that night, as Seulgi’s doing the dishes. She rests her head on Seulgi's back, listening to the younger girl’s heart rate quicken ever-so-slightly.

“Nothing,” Seulgi mumbles, shutting the sink off but not moving from their position.

Irene frowns, forcing the younger girl to spin around.

“Is this about the whole harem thing?” Upon getting no response, Irene’s frown deepens, and she throws her arms around Seulgi's neck, pulling the taller girl in close. “Seul, that was a joke! I'd never do something like that. I only need you, silly. I'm sorry. I was just kidding around...”

“It's not just that though.” Seulgi’s voice is muffled as she talks into Irene’s shoulder. “Hyun, you're an undeniably jaw-dropping human being. You can have anyone you want. And one day, I'm afraid that you'll actually realize that. You'll realize that I'm not as great as you think I am— that I’m not enough. I give you hummingbirds now, but what about years from now? Hell, even months from now? I don't know what I'll do without you, Hyun.”

“Oh, baby,” Irene whispers, cupping Seulgi’s cheek with the palm of her right hand and tracing the younger girl’s lips with the index finger of her left. “Seulgi, I can't tell you what will happen in the future, but I can tell you a few things. First,” she leans in to bring their foreheads together, nuzzling their noses, “I love you the way you are, Seul. Never think that you are not enough for me. You are more than I could ever ask for, Seulgi, and I am completely blessed to wake up in your arms every morning. The forest fire isn't dying out anytime soon. We’re like an immortal flame, you and I. And second,” she plants a soft kiss onto Seulgi’s nose.

“I don't know about you, but I want us to last.” Irene smiles gently at the twinkle of wonderment in Seulgi’s eyes. “We’re human beings. Homo sapiens. Our species has accomplished so much based merely on our wants and desires. Based on our dreams. And to put it simply, you, Kang Seulgi, fill my dreams up to the very brim. If we want hard enough, it’s my theory that we can make it. You're my fountain of eternity, and I love you."

“I love you too,” Seulgi’s gaze goes soft, and she squeezes Irene tight in her embrace. “Thank you, Irene.”

“What for?” Irene questions.

“For knowing what to say,” Seulgi replies, peppering kisses on Irene’s hair between her words. “For keeping me sane. For choosing me. For loving me.”

--

"Why are you up so early?” Seulgi groans, blearily watching Irene pad across her bedroom floor at the ungodly hour of the morning. “It's Saturday! Sleep-in day! Come back to bed, Hyun…” she finishes with a whine.

Irene chuckles, patting Seulgi on the head from where she's standing at her bedside, a black permanent marker in her other hand. “Sorry, Seul, I had found this quote yesterday that I really liked, but I'd forgotten to write it down on my wall after we become preoccupied with… other things.”

“Don't tell me you regret those other things,” Seulgi states. Irene laughs and shakes her head, grabbing a fist full of Seulgi’s dance studio t-shirt, AKA the only article of clothing on Irene’s body.

“Please,” Irene rolls her eyes in good humor. “Like I'd ever regret spending highly productive time with you.”

“Love you too,” Seulgi calls, sinking back into the bed comforter.

There's a minute of silence, save for the scratching of Irene’s marker against her bedroom wall, and then she's rousing Seulgi from the bed, asking the younger girl for her opinion on the quote.

“What do you think?”

Seulgi's smile is magnificent, especially in the early-morning glow of the sunrise. She reminds Irene of a Greek goddess, tall and proud. Well, a sleepy, slightly under-height goddess, but a goddess nonetheless.

“Hold me. Whatever lies beyond this morning is a little later on. Regardless of warnings, the future doesn't scare me at all. Nothing's like before. I think that this quote suits us,” Seulgi declares quietly, and Irene beams, staring at the quote proudly.

“There's also this part,” Irene says, pointing to the additional section. “Simple and clean is the way that you're making me feel tonight.”

“That's definitely us,” Seulgi says, reaching out to tug Irene in close. “Where are these from?”

“From the theme song to our next Seulgi and Irene Saturday video game,” Irene replies, somewhat nervously. She fiddles with her thumbs subconsciously. “I chose the game Kingdom Hearts, if that's okay with you, Seul. It's from the same company as Final Fantasy, and I think we’ll like it." She pauses, lost in thought before continuing in a dreamy voice, "There are fairytales in it. I really love fairytales, and I love playing games with you, so double win? For me at least."

“Oh, Hyun,” Seulgi is all smiles as Irene settles against her. “I think I'd fall in love with anything I do with you.”

End.
 

--

 

AN 2: Thank you, everyone, for showing this fic so much love! The wonderful response to I'd Agree With You, But Then We’d Both Be Wrong was so overwhelming and just thank you thank you thank you!

Out of pure curiosity, what was your favorite line(s)/part(s) of this fic? From any chapter, of course. I'd love to know!

Thank you all again,

~ pyrefly

p.s. kudos to anyone who can tell me the name of the dance studio Seulgi works at in this fic lol (it really exists!)