False Hope

Lifeline

Chanyeol almost fell from his seat when he saw a glare directed at him from the other building. And he felt like he had to run as fast as he could when Kyungsoo, after glaring at him, tapped the man and motioned for him to wait, and started to walk out of the loud bar. Chanyeol could only follow him with his eyes and he did not want to believe that Kyungsoo is coming to their place.

“Hunnie, I think we should go.” Chanyeol grabbed Sehun’s wrist and pulled him out of his chair.

“What’s wrong, Yeol? Let’s stay a bit more…” Sehun whined and was pulling back Chanyeol to his seat. Both were like playing tug of war and no one was winning.

“Come on Hunniiieee!!!” Chanyeol pulled Sehun a lot stronger but Sehun gave in already that made Chanyeol almost fall on his bum. Almost, because he did not fall on the floor, a man caught him from behind. Chanyeol’s back was on this man’s chest and he’s gripping Chanyeol’s arms.

“Ah! Sorry! Sorry!” Sehun said first and pulled Chanyeol back. Horror came crashing on Chanyeol when he realized who he just fell on.

“Kyungsoo!”

“Chanyeol…”Kyungsoo smirks. “Why are you looking at me like that? It’s like you’ve seen a ghost.” He smiled wryly. He walked slowly towards Chanyeol but Chanyeol was stepping back, too, so the distance between them didn’t get any closer. Until Chanyeol reached the glass wall of the building and he cannot move back anymore. Kyungsoo advanced to him and closed their gap to less than a foot.

“What’s wrong, Park Chanyeol?” Kyungsoo almost whispered with a husky voice. Chanyeol couldn’t especially believe that Kyungsoo was so close to him at that moment. He also couldn’t believe that his mentor who looked like a very neat, serious and introvert man in the office, was wearing a fitted leather pants and shoes, loose black long-sleeved blouse that’s exposing his neck with that pretty choker around it. His hair was messy but presentable and his lips were pink and hydrated. He’s y and totally hot and Chanyeol could feel his face getting hotter at the view.

“Do you want me to do to you what you just saw? Hm?” Kyungsoo gently placed his hand on Chanyeol’s neck and played his fingers on the taller’s nape. Chanyeol couldn’t move or did he even want to in the first place? He’s frozen and he couldn’t think properly. “You smell like vodka.” Kyungsoo remarked as his nose teasingly roams so close on Chanyeol’s lips. “I think I’d like to have vodka tonight.” Kyungsoo continued and stared deeply into Chanyeol’s eyes which were staring back at him. Chanyeol’s lips involuntarily opened while Kyungsoo’s face was getting nearer. He let out a soft moan and closed his eyes when he felt Kyungsoo palm that bulge in his pants he didn’t know was already there. His mouth opened a bit more and he was still drunk in the sensation when Kyungsoo tugged his head towards him so their lips can crash and they can kiss.

But… Chanyeol woke up from the pain of crashing his head on his bedside table instead. He massaged his temples and he didn’t know if it’s the pain that’s causing his temper or the fact that the sweet sensation was just a dream and didn’t even last long, didn’t even reach to the kiss.

“ this.” Chanyeol hissed and sat against the head board of his bed. He moved his hand to feel his pants if the bulge is there and it is. He sighed deeply and calmed down as he didn’t want to very early in the morning especially not because of his mentor. So he distracted himself by checking his phone, his last message to Sehun that stated his apology for cutting their night short and Sehun’s “You’ll have to make up for this next time, Yeol. Good night.”

Chanyeol started to recall if seeing Kyungsoo kissing a man last night was part of his dream or if it was real. He wasn’t really sure. He sighed heavily before he decided to stop thinking about last night. After he has calmed down, he had this eureka moment and went off his bed. He took his laptop and went back to his bed, turned it on and immediately checked the official website of Solutions M.

Chanyeol browsed through the homepage. He saw the basics like what Solution M is, how much employees it has so far and its growth in the IT world, and of course its achievements and pride. A group photo especially caught his attention. Solutions M won a prestigious award and a group of ten people were in the photo. He immediately recognized a few of them were TD7 and Heechul. However, there was one person in the photo among TD7 he didn’t know. He was standing between Jongin and Kyungsoo. He’s taller than Kyungsoo but a bit shorter than Jongin. He was wearing this big smile on his face and he’s holding the trophy. In the photo, this man and Heechul were the happiest. The rest of TD7 had their simplest smiles on. He clicked the link to the article about the photo and he realized the article was published two months before he joined the company. And as he read the article, he realized he’s correct when he guessed that the guy showing the trophy off so proudly was no other than Luhan.

“They said Luhan quit the company a month ago, so... A month after they got this award, he resigned.” He mumbled to himself. “Maybe this made the culprit jealous of Luhan and did tricks to kick him out.” Chanyeol nodded to himself and started to think all sorts of scenarios. I don’t really plan on talking to anybody in the office anymore but I guess I have to do it so I can keep this job.

---

Chanyeol was excited to go to work – his 6th day in the office. Unlike some people, Chanyeol didn’t hate Mondays. In fact, Mondays give him a sense of hope and new chances. Indeed, Chanyeol wanted to start all over again and spark up his fighting spirit. He wanted that the next time he meets Sehun, he’ll be able to share fun stories instead of upsetting ones. So that day, he wore a pastel pink sweatshirt, white pants and shoes. His curly hair showed his bubbliness. And his perfume was a head-turner. Just like last week, he was the last to arrive in the office among TD7. And even though he could have arrived earlier than them, he intended not to because he wanted to buy each of them coffee for today. As soon as Chanyeol arrived in their cube, he distributed the coffee to them.

“Good morning guys! Here, have some coffee.” He gave the first cup to Heechul, then to Junmyeon, to Baekhyun, to Jongin, to Irene and to Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo didn’t want to receive the cup at first but Chanyeol insisted.

“What’s up, Channie? You even look dashing today.” Heechul complimented him before taking a sip of his coffee.

“It’s Monday!” Chanyeol answered, all of his teeth showed when he smiled.

“Are you going to treat us again next week then?” Baekhyun commented.

“Why not!” He answered and sat down on his chair.

“Rich kid.” Jongin scoffed. Chanyeol didn’t let himself get offended so he shrugged Jongin’s comment away and prepared himself for the daily meeting.

---

After the meeting, all of them went back to their workstations. While Chanyeol was opening his laptop, he cleared his throat and faced Kyungsoo. He hesitated at first because Kyungsoo’s wearing all black today, not the same with his outfit in Chanyeol’s dream, but he can’t help but remember it and he also can’t help but gulp at the sight of Kyungsoo’s lips sipping coffee. He might have stared for too long at Kyungsoo because Kyungsoo side-eyed him and stopped sipping his coffee.

“Problem?” Kyungsoo asked. He put down the cup beside his laptop and faced Chanyeol.

“Uh… oh…. Nothing… I... uhmmm…” Chanyeol couldn’t remember what he was supposed to tell Kyungsoo. He looked at his things to make him remember and when he looked at his laptop, he found his excuse to talk to Kyungsoo. “Ah! Right... uuhh...” He faced the laptop to Kyungsoo to show him a photo.

“What about that?” Kyungsoo asked

“This person in between you and Jongin, he’s Luhan right?” Chanyeol pointed at the person on the photo.

“Yeah. That’s him. So you’ve finally started with the mission.” Kyungsoo’s lips were about to form a smirk but Chanyeol’s convinced that Kyungsoo’s just stopping himself from smiling. Cute. He thought.

“Yeah.” Chanyeol wanted to giggle but he stopped himself before Kyungsoo starts to get the wrong idea.

“I’m glad.” Kyungsoo faced back to his laptop and Chanyeol didn’t miss that small smile he finally let go. All of sudden, it’s like Chanyeol has seen an angel on earth and he’s thankful that Kyungsoo doesn’t catch him again for staring a bit longer. It seems like he just made him happy. At that moment, he decided to do his best to find the culprit as fast as he can. Chanyeol felt an unexplainable happiness however he then felt an unexplainable jealousy when he realized it’s not because of him that Kyungsoo’s smiling, it’s because of Luhan and the idea that he’ll finally get the justice he deserves. Chanyeol faced back to his laptop and started to read e-mails and pick-up tasks. But no matter how busy on work stuff he looked the entire day, he was just actually fighting the distraction called Do Kyungsoo.