Glass Walls

Lifeline

"Hey!" A voice called out and Chanyeol didn't know if he should react but since there was no name mentioned, he decided to just keep on fixing his things inside his bag and prepare to leave the office. It's 4:05PM and TD7 members have already left the office except for one. 

"Park Chanyeol." The same voice finally called his name to which he reacted and faced him.

"Yes, Jongin?" Chanyeol faced his teammate who was also about to leave the office.

"Uh... Let's head out first." Jongin signalled and both of them walked out of the office. They were in the elevator lobby when Jongin continued where they left off. "You had lunch with Kyungsoo earlier, right?" He asked to which Chanyeol nodded as a response. "Did he tell you anything?"

"About what?"

"I said anything."

"Tss... Right, why am I even asking you to specify a scenario when we even talked about one thing." Chanyeol looked irked when he remembered how Kyungsoo left him at lunch that day.

"What is it?"... "And why are you talking like this, you were all fidgety this morning." Jongin just realized the sudden change in Chanyeol's tone.

"We talked about this Luhan guy... and I just found out I'm older than you and Kyungsoo..." The taller guy answered.

"Oh, plot twist." A very sarcastic tone came out of Jongin that made Chanyeol snort at the remark.

"Anyway, that's it? You were just curious about our topic over lunch?" Chanyeol uncrossed his arms and held the straps of his backpack worn on his shoulders. The elevator opens and both of them went inside it.

"Yeah. That's it." Poker-faced Jongin answered. Chanyeol intended to ask why to keep the conversation going but it seems like a meaningless one. Jongin just wanted to know what they talked about. It's not like Jongin's monitoring Kyungsoo or something, right? Chanyeol's overthinking again and it kept him occupied until the elevator reached the ground floor. Jongin walked past him, ahead of him and eventually left him. What's wrong with people? They just leave me like this, no goodbyes? If Chanyeol can for a day, he would have done that that day but he still had more patience in his bucket. He let out a sigh as he went out of the building and saw Jongin's back getting farther.

---

The rest of the week went on and that was the most monotonous week in Chanyeol's life. He goes to work, learns processes and shadows his teammates, eats lunch alone after that day Kyungsoo left him, and goes home. It was unbelievable and it's only been a week but he's exhausted. Partly because he was trying to win the hearts of his teammates, partly because he wants Kyungsoo to talk to him but he wouldn't unless Chanyeol tells him he's working on the challenge. Chanyeol was just so frustrated because he can't just say he is working on it when he's not. He really just needs time but he also needs Kyungsoo to train him. So torn and exhausted, he decided to send a message to his best friend, Oh Sehun. 

Yeol: "Sehunniieeee...Let's drink!"  It didn't take long before Chanyeol received a reply.

Hunnie: All of a sudden?

Yeol: It's Friday! Come on!

Hunnie: No, we don't go drinking because it's Friday. What's the problem?

Yeol: Ah.. You know me so well... I'll tell you when we meet.

Hunnie: Are you sure it's fine to go out this late?

Yeol: It's just 9PM. I can't sleep and I need to talk to you. Pleeeaaase?

Hunnie: Okay. There's the very nice bar three streets away from the Uni. It's so chill! Meet you there in 30min.?

Yeol: Cool! I'll get ready.

Chanyeol quickly prepped and then he borrowed his Dad's car and went off to their meeting place.

---

Chanyeol was parking his car when he noticed just how high-class the cars were in that parking lot. Woah, Hunnie chose a very expensive place to chill. He thought. He got off and a tall man was approaching him. He immediately noticed him as he was wearing his usual white semi-loose v-necked shirt and black ripped pants, his baseball cap on his head and his pitch black sneakers.

"Hunnie!!!" Chanyeol was indeed glad to see his bestfriend after several weeks. "I missed you, man!" They hugged for a few seconds and then they let go at the same time. 
"Yeol! Woah! How's adult life so far?" Sehun laughed, mocking his bestfriend. 

"Ah..." Chanyeol sighed. "That's what I'm going to talk to you about." he brushed his hair with his hand and Sehun could tell Chanyeol's exhausted. "By the way, you didn't tell me this place is elite. I could have worn better clothes."

"Ah, I didn't tell you so we both look the same today. I'm not really interested in looking elite." Both laughed and walked all the way to the bar.

---

It wasn't the type of bar that's dark. It's dim but not dark people can still read a book inside if they want to. There was no loud music. It was a perfect place to have a few drinks and chill. Unlike the bar next to it where there's EDM filling the whole building, people dancing and drinking and getting wasted. Chanyeol was watching the other building through its glass walls. I bet those people on the other side would say our side's a bit boring. He thought when he saw people in the other bar glancing at the building where they were through its glass walls, too. His thoughts were interrupted when Sehun sat beside him and placed a glass of vodka.

"I heard the owners of these two bars are siblings." Sehun started. Chanyeol ears perked up to what seems to be an interesting trivia. "They had different taste of everything, they only agreed on one thing in their entire life. And that's to have a bar as a business. But turns out, they still can't agree on the concept.The other wanted loud EDM while the other wants something mellow. Being the rich people that they are, they decided to just have their own bars."

"Why the glass walls though?" Chanyeol asked while gently his glass up and down.

"They fought on who's bar will be better. The glass doors will allow them to see realtime reactions from the other bar's customers. Also, the owner of that bar," Sehun points at the bar opposite them, "is such a tease he wanted his customers to tease chill people like us, too." Chanyeol snorted at Sehun's story. "As if I'd want to be all wasted inside that bar. I like peace. Thanks." Sehun drank from his glass after finishing off his story. They haven't really been to loud bars before. It's just not their thing. Especially after that first time they went with a group because of peer pressure during freshman years and both of them vomitted and got wasted. Definitely, never again.

"I hope my team were made of glass walls, too." Chanyeol sighed and then drank from his glass.

"Oh...Are they not talking to you?" Sehun shifted so he can properly face Chanyeol who was still looking at the other building.

"We only talk when I have questions. We only talk because they're training me. Nothing beyond that." Chanyeol answered and Sehun can definitely see the disappointment in Chanyeol's face. "You know how excited I am for this job, right? Turns out I just can't have everything in one go." He drank again.

"It's only been a week, Yeol. They're probably just warming up to you, too." Sehun tried to comfort him by patting his shoulders.

"Naaah.. They're the same serious people everyday. There's no progress at all."

"You're just used to people warming up to you right away, Yeollieeee... Cheer up! You're on another phase now. I guess this is something you need to learn." Sehun drinks. Chanyeol looked at Sehun and smiled.

"I'm so lucky to have you."

"Don't be cheesy." Sehun lifted his glass. "Cheers to my Yeollie's adult life!" Chanyeol lifted his glass and made a toast with his best friend. "Bottoms up!" They said at the same time and drank the vodka in one go. Chanyeol was slowly drinking his with his eyes open when he saw something from the other building that got his attention. For some reason, the other building ample amount of light to make everyone visible from the outside. And from Chanyeol and Sehun were, he can see someone he's familiar with. He placed his glass down and Sehun noticed it wasn't empty yet. 

"Hey, bottoms up!" 

"Wait..." Chanyeol squinted his eyes and focused on the person and when he realized who it was, his mouth formed an O in amusement. He goes to that kind of place? Who is he with? They look like really close buddies. He thought. A few seconds just passed and he covered his mouth with his two hands in astonishment.

"Hey! What is it?" Sehun tried to follow Chanyeol's gaze but cannot find the reason of his surpised look.

. Is he gay? Chanyeol's heart raced when he saw his teammate, his seatmate, his mentor Do Kyungsoo deeply kissing another man.