Pieces of You

Through his eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Charlotte went to give Jacob his bath and helped him brush his teeth and slip into his favorite pj's before they went to read a story. He lay in bed while she read to him but he lost track of the story because he stared at the car on the shelf and wondered where it came from.

“Mom?”, he interrupted her and she set the book down and looked at him.

“Yes, Jaccy?”, she said with a smile.

“Where did the car come from? The one on the shelf?”, he asked and pointed at it.

Her eyes followed his finger and she frowned slightly, “It was a present from a friend”,she said and picked the book up again.

“Have I met this friend? Was it the Celeste? Or the nice lady from the jewelry store? They had Legos too”, he said and tilted his blonde head.

“No, baby. You haven’t met the friend yet. Maybe someday you will get to”, she said with a smile as she thought of the Lego heart on the table.

“Okay, mom, can you finish the story?”, he said with a yawn, “I’m getting sleepy.”

She hurried through the story but he fell asleep before she got to the last page, she set the book on his nightstand and leaned over to kiss him on the forehead.

“I love you to the moon and back”, she whispered as she stood up and left the room quietly. She went back to the living room and sat heavily on the couch.

“Did he say anything else?”, she said softly to Tiffany.

“He said you would have to wait and find out what it means”, her cousin replied and picked the heart up and handed it to her, “although it seems simple enough. He just gave you his heart to hold onto.”

“For what? Until when?”, Charlotte said and turned the trinket over in her hands and looked at it.

“You just have to wait and find out won’t you?”, Tiffany teased. Charlotte stuck her tongue out at her and set the heart on the table.

“I hate to ask, but is it okay if I go walk for awhile? Jacob is totally asleep and I won’t be gone long”, Charlotte asked as she stood up.

“Yeah that’s fine, can you pick me up some chocolate on the way back?”, Tiffany said as she settled into the couch and turned the TV on, “I want to catch up on that vampire drama. I think is about to hit the fan”, she said with a grin.

Charlotte smiled and slipped her phone and wallet into her pocket and headed for the door.

“Oh you might want to grab an umbrella, it started sprinkling while you were putting Jacob to bed”, Tiffany called to her, her eyes glued to the screen as the characters in the drama came back from battle.

Charlotte grabbed the orange umbrella off the hook by the door and walked out. She jogged down the steps and went outside. The sky was gray and a light rain fell on the late evening streets. She popped the umbrella open and stepped onto the sidewalk and started to walk; she didn’t have a destination in mind but her feet took her to the dance studio and when she looked up and saw where she and leaned against a light post and closed her eyes. She could picture the day that he had given her the umbrella perfect; the way his car smelled and the way he blushed when he told her that he’d actually had umbrellas in his car. And the kiss they had shared; she had been so bold at that time, where had that woman gone? She had never felt braver in her life than she did when she sat beside him in his car. But she had panicked and pushed him away and still he wanted to be in her life.

“I should give him a chance”, she whispered to herself, he words drowned as the rain picked up and lightning lit up the sky, “not everyone is like… him”, she couldn’t bring herself to mention her ex’s name. She stepped away from the light post and ran smack into a man’s broad chest. As she tilted the umbrella and saw the man’s face her step faltered and she tripped over her own feet.

“Steady there”, Minwoo said with a smile as he looked at her. She gulped loudly and took a step back.

“I didn’t see you there… I’m sorry I ran into you”, she said softly and went to move past him. He reached out and gripped her wrist gently.

“Wait…. I finally get to meet you and you are running off?”, he said and she stopped to look at him.

“You know about me?”, she said and he nodded.

“Maggie, my fiance showed me pictures of you on Instagram. Plus he can’t stop talking about you”, Minwoo said and watched her eyes go wide.

“So everyone knows about me?”, she said and gripped the handle of her umbrella tighter.

“Yep but none of the guys have met you besides Jinnie so far. Well, at least until now”, he said with a grin that made his eyes crinkle. She chuckled in spite of her nerves and smiled back at him.

“Why don’t we get out of this rain?”, Minwoo said as he ducked under the umbrella with her, “I was about to go in and work on some moves”, he pointed at the studio.

“Is it even still open? I can’t remember their weekend hours”,she said hesitantly.

“For me it is”, he said with a grin and pulled a pass card out of his pocket, “the owner knows I often get ideas late at night so he gave me a card to get in. I’m sure he won’t mind if you come with me”, he didn’t give her a chance to hesitate as he slipped his arm through hers and walked quickly to get inside and out of the rain.

The studio after hours had an eerie quiet to it; the usual sound of people’s music and feet moving on the hardwood floors was replaced by silence. She looked around and saw that there was one open door and a light shone out of it.

“Is there someone else here?”, she said quietly and closed her umbrella and hung it on a coat rack by the door.

“No, that’s my room. I had run out to smoke and I saw someone out in the rain with a bright orange umbrella. I’m glad I came to investigate”, he said cheekily and pulled her to the open door.

“You go ahead and get your wet shoes off and I’ll be back with some towels”, he said and hurried off. She walked into the room; it was bigger than the others she had used and had a few couches and chairs clustered in one corner. She walked over and sat down on a hard plastic chair and undid the laces around her ankles and let her wet shoes drop to the floor. She leaned back and sighed.

“The only thing worse than running into JunJin would be running into Minwoo”, she muttered to herself, but she was secretly pleased that he had told his closest friends about her, “he’s a total charmer and there is no way I could tell him no.” The sound of wet shoes on the wooden floor made her look up; Minwoo had returned. He had a stack of towels in one hand and a pair of shoes in the other.

“I went and got one of my extra pairs of shoes for you to wear home”, he said and came over to sit beside her. He took one of the towels and used it to dry his hair and shoulders; they were left bare by a t shirt with the sleeves ripped off and she blushed as she saw his muscles flex.

He handed her another towel and she picked her soaked shoes up and set it on the floor before she put them back down, “So what are you doing out wandering in the rain?”, Minwoo asked as he draped the towel over his shoulders and leaned back on the couch he had chosen.

“I felt like a walk after I put my son to bed”, Charlotte said as she used another of the towels to dry her arms and legs off.

“That’s right, you have a little boy… Jacob, right?”, Minwoo said and leaned forward and looked at her with interest. She folded the towel and set it in her lap.

“Yes, he’s six and he just got here from the states”, she said as she pulled her phone out and showed him the lock screen picture of him. He took the phone carefully and looked at it.

“He’s really cute. Maggie and Celeste agree and so hyper”, he said and handed the phone back.

“That’s the truth. I never feel safe to relax until he’s in bed and asleep”, she said with a chuckle and put her phone away.

Minwoo wondered if she had gotten the present they had sent her and tried to figure out how to ask. But he decided to just be straightforward and ask.

“So did you get that put together okay”, he said with a wink and she blushed.

“So everyone knows about that too? Maybe you can give me hint of what to expect next”, she said as she leaned forward and smiled at him. He just laughed and shook his head.

“I can’t…. because I don’t know. The heart was Maggie and I’s part of the plan. Syung and Celeste have the next part, then Eric and his fiance”, he slapped his forehead, “I probably shouldn’t have told you that…. pretty sure I just screwed up”, he covered his face and laughed.

So they were all in on it? She was surprised and pleased at the same time.

“What about Andy and Dongwan?”, Charlotte said with a chuckle,”or are they left out because they are single?” Minwoo moved his hands and winked at her with his cheeks bright red.

“That remains to be seen”, he said mysteriously and stood up. “I came here to practice something. Do you might watching for awhile, then I can take you home.”

“Oh you don’t have to do that”, she said and shook her head vigorously, “I can walk, my apartment is close.”

“Not a chance”, he said”, There is no way I’m letting you walk in the rain, no matter how close your place is”, with a decisive nod he walked away and went to start some music.

“Bossy little midget”, Charlotte muttered under her breath as she moved to a couch that faced the dance space and pulled a folded up blanket off the back and used it to her her bare shoulders and draped it as best as she could over her lap. Minwoo had already started to move and he didn’t pay her a bit of attention as he worked out the moves in his head. She followed his moves with little arm and leg movements. She couldn’t deny that he was a good dancer and if she wasn’t cold she would have gotten up and da

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter