First Dance

Cupid at Heart
When news regarding the courtship was delivered through the king, the princess inwardly thought the Prince of Spade may have been a reserved person. But seeing this astounding confidence as he declared his unfading intention, Hyunmi knew that wasn’t the case. It would be hard to change his mind when his pride fueled his beliefs.
 
“I wish you luck, for my heart is not easy to be obtained,” Hyunmi spoke, providing the prince her sweetest smile. She wasn’t being rude; how could she offer her heart when it was, most possibly, taken by another?
 
Sunggyu should’ve been surprised, or perhaps show a reaction to her humor. However, all he did was scoff under his breath, as if she had spoken a foolish speech. “Whether or not I obtain your heart isn’t the issue, princess. You shall be mine to wed.”
 
Hyunmi frowned, utterly horrified at the prideful behavior he displayed. Not only was he inconsiderate of her feelings, but he was treating her as an object of prized possession.
 
“Ah, it pleases my heart to see you two form a harmonious relationship. Perhaps it is time for the two of you to dance,” the king spoke, completely misunderstanding their conversation that implied anything but friendliness. He signaled a cue to the white rabbit, who immediately blew his golden horn.
 
“Let us commence the first dance between the Prince of Spade and the youngest Princess of Heart,” Kihyun’s voice blared through the entire ballroom. He then began swaying his arms to an invisible rhythm, conducting the orchestra to start playing.
 
Sunggyu moved his eyes towards the princess, his distant glance lacking warmth. He extended his arm to her. “It would be an honor to dance with me,” he spoke and smirked in a way that truly made it impossible to look away. There was a certain charm to him difficult to be woven into words, almost as if his high self confidence was admirable and frightening at the same time.
 
The princess hesitated, thinking of ways to avoid the dance, or to end it as quick as possible. Her gaze then darted to the audience who had circled around the dance floor with anticipation. Among them was cupid, carefully watching her with his arms folded. For once, his usual smile did not abide his lips.
 
“I understand your worries to dance with a prince as mighty as me. But do not fear, I shall guide you well.” Sunggyu’s tone exalted himself on so many levels. He grabbed her hand by force, and led her to the dance floor against her will.
 
As the music played, Sunggyu twirled her to face him. He looked very composed, cold, and impatient to impress her with his moves. He moved his hand around her waist, his fingers holding on so tight it made the corset constrict her even more. He silently counted the beat of the music and began to guide her steps.
 
Sunggyu may be vain and adored himself a little too much, but he had every reason to back up his claims. He was, indeed, a remarkable dancer. Though Hyunmi secretly tried to make mistakes by stepping on his feet or by swaying toward the other direction, Sunggyu was quick to notice and skillfully led her against it. He had amazing control over both their steps, and they glided elegantly over the dance floor.
 
“You do not look well, cupid.”
 
Woohyun was caught offguard when he realized Seulyi’s presence next to him. She looked almost unrecognizable when dressed in proper ballroom attire. “You do not have to be concerned about me. Thank you, Seulyi,” he spoke with a half hearted smile, and averted his attention back on the waltzing pair.
 
“Hyunmi has that look on her face,” Seulyi then noted and laughed.
 
“What look?”
 
“The look where she is trying her best to think of an escape plan.” Seulyi stared at cupid and let her smile stretch wider. “I am not supposed to reveal her secret, but she was looking forward to dance with you.”
 
Woohyun widened his eyes in surprise, and suddenly the blank expression took over his face.
 
Seulyi paid no attention to him, focusing on the question she wished to ask. She was unconsciously rocking on her heels, twirling the loose hair strand from her long hair, the color of ebony.
 
“When will—”
 
“Soon,” Woohyun told her promptly, turning to the girl who flinched after having her mind read. “The hatter is on his way.”
 
Seulyi’s lips curved into a smile. Whether it was the love potion or not, she wished to dance with Myungsooo. She wished to take a glimpse of him, and her heart would be content with just that.
 
At that moment, Kihyun blew his loud horns again, announcing the arrival of guests from far foreign lands. “Prince Myungsoo from the Hatta Hatter Hat Hatty Hat Land, and Prince Sungyeol from… March Haretopia?”
 
The uncertainty in Kihyun’s tone made some guests question the identity of the newcomers. But the two gentlemen paid no attention to it and descended the stairs as if they belonged to royalty their entire life. Considering their formal and sleek attire, one might even believe it was true.
 
The two spotted Woohyun with an unfamiliar girl beside him in no time. They swayed their way to cupid, paying no attention as they bumped against several guests who were dancing. The hatter was used to people and animals clearing up a path for him whenever he passed, like in his hatter shop.
 
“You do not look well, cupid,” Myungsoo remarked immediately, yet the whimsical essence in his tone masked it as good thing.
 
“Those are the exact words I have spoken,” Seulyi squealed inwardly to herself, feeling her heart drumming at their common reaction. She stared at the hatter, completely smitten. They were so alike, proving their compatibility for one another.
 
Myungsoo stared at the girl, giving her a weird look. “Who is this?” He asked, pointing a finger at her.
 
“It is Seulyi,” she replied, genuinely hoping he’d remember her.
 
“Who?”
 
Seulyi sighed. “Miss Nightgown.”
 
“Oh, it is you!” Myungsoo exclaimed with delight. He took another good look at the girl, admiring the elegant dress she wore that humbly hugged her curves. Like a good gentleman, he took her hand and greeted her with a light kiss on top of her hand. “My, don’t you look ravishing tonight. Without your nightgown, I barely recognized you.”
 
Seulyi let out a girly giggle, unable to control the high pitched sound she was producing. She would like to consider it as a compliment.
 
“W-where is the princess?” Sungyeol questioned, bouncing a little on his feet, unable to stand still in one place. He looked around him in a rush, and soon found his answer at the center of the dance floor.
 
“I suddenly understand the reason for your pale complexion, cupid. If I were you, I would never let anyone take my beloved like that,” Myungsoo said, patting his friend by the shoulders.
 
“Don’t let them take me,” Seulyi whispered, looking at him with big hopeful eyes. Luckily, he did not catch that.
 
“He is a prince who is in the process of courting the princess. What can I do?” Woohyun asked, shrugging in defeat. Rather than being defeated, he prefered to not face the battle upfront.
 
“W-we’re wearing a mask, aren’t we?” Sungyeol then noted, laughing actively to himself as his bouncing switched over to him hopping to the music.
 
Woohyun turned to the march hare with a realization that did not dawn on him before. He had proposed the idea before, but in the presence of the king, feared making the wrong move. However, he could still conceal his identity.
 
Myungsoo began humming to himself as he stared at the clock displayed on the wall—the fingers displayed a time other than six o’clock, differentiating it from his shop. “I’ve got time to spare before the plan shall be carried out. What could I possible occupy myself with for the time being?” He wondered out loud, tapping his finger against his chin.
 
The question made Seulyi’s eyes sparkle, watching the hatter with a silent desire to be asked for a dance. The dance floor was filled with different couples by now, and she wished to waltz among them.
 
“Perhaps you could take a lovely maiden to dance,” Woohyun suggested, providing the head maid a helping hand. It seemed she was not very vocal about her intentions when faced with the hatter himself, unlike the youngest princess of Heart who was no longer subtle at displaying her fondness towards him.
 
“Ah, what a wonderful idea,” Myungsoo exclaimed, clasping his hands together as he turned to the anticipating maiden and twirled his hand with a polite bow. “Miss Nightgown, would you care to accompany me on the dance floor?”
 
“Yes,” Seulyi replied with no second of hesitation. It was clear she had been waiting for his inquiry ever since he had set foot in the ballroom. With a wide grin plastered on her face, she accepted Myungsoo’s hand as he guided her to the dance floor.
 
As for Woohyun, he kept watching.
 
“How is it? Are you impressed by my skills? I would understand it if you were,” Sunggyu spoke, the corner of his lips lifted into a smug grin. He chuckled a little at his own perfection.
 
“Truly astounding,” Hyunmi went along just to feed his ego. “Though I would be more impressed have I not encountered another dance partner who eloquently guides me over the rhythmical melody before.”
 
The look on Sunggyu’s face darkened and he looked grimly at her, having heard a great insult. There was no one permitted to be better at anything than him. “Tell me the identity of the man, and I shall have him beheaded.”
 
The threat made Hyunmi laugh instead. “Oh, but he isn’t a man. He is far greater than that,” she spoke, and part of her was deliberately trying to test his patience.
 
“You should know, that I am the type of person who loves challenges. Despite my inability to test the truthfulness of your words, you challenge me to acquire your heart. I want you to be mine,” Sunggyu said as he leaned closer to whisper the words to her. As expected, the prince would not let such threats get to him, and had too much pride to doubt his own abilities. He was certain he could take her as his own.
 
The prince was too close, and Hyunmi dreaded what would happen if she didn’t lean away from his approaching face. Would he have the audacity to try and kiss her in front of the guests? Even though this was their formal first encounter? The thought itself frightened her.
 
A warm hand then wrapped itself around Hyunmi’s arm, and with great strength yet careful gentleness, pulled her away from the prince’s hold.
 
Hyunmi looked up to her savior, aware of his identity the moment she noticed the scent of red roses lingering around her. It couldn’t have been anyone other than Woohyun, and she did her best to hide her smile at his heroic rescue.
 
“As far as I know, a courtship does not allow you to invade one’s personal space without the other party’s consent,” Woohyun spoke, his eyes firm on the prince.
 
Sunggyu furrowed his eyebrows, staring at this unknown intruder. “Neither is a stranger allowed to touch the subject of courtship without my consent,” he said, lifting his head with with an arrogant smirk.
 
“The subject of courtship?” Woohyun repeated, frowning his eyes into a hard stare. “You make it sound as if the princess is an object you can own. I will not stand still and watch the princess get belittled from her true value.”
 
Hyunmi stared at him with such amazement and a look of awe. He was saying the exact things she could only dare think of. She knew that Woohyun would never treat her as an object. He’d treat her with respect and uncontainable affection.
 
“If you excuse me, I’d like to ask the princess for a dance,” Woohyun then said before Sunggyu could retaliate.
 
“What?” Sunggyu’s tough and arrogant exterior faltered at this stranger’s interruption. “Do you think I—”
 
“My apologies, but I have come to realize I do not have the courage or skills to dance with a man as perfect as yourself, Prince Sunggyu. So please excuse me.” Hyunmi used the prince’s high and confident pride against him. She hurriedly curtsied before him and turned to Woohyun. “Dance with me.”
 
“I thought I was supposed to be the one asking,” Woohyun told her. As natural as they had practiced daily, he placed his arm around her like a perfect fit, and gently lifted her other hand at shoulder level.
 
The prince decided his time was too precious to be wasted in arguing. So he let the princess do as she pleased for now, knowing he’d claim her attention once the ball ended.
 
“It took you long enough,” Hyunmi said. When she placed her hand around his neck, everything finally felt right that night.
 
“Does that imply you have been waiting for me to ask you to dance?” Woohyun asked with raised eyebrows, yet a smile playing on the edge of his lips.
 
“I was simply being kind and considerate enough to grant someone’s request to dance with the youngest princess,” Hyunmi spoke with feigned innocence, grinning at cupid who was amused by her words. Yet, she knew something else had occupied his mind.
 
“I should inform you the Hatter has arrived,” Woohyun then announced. He remembered there was an important message to be deliver, but got distracted by the princess’ playfulness which he was not against.
 
“Myungsoo?” Hyunmi’s eyes lit up. “Does Seulyi know?”
 
“Certainly.” Woohyun cocked his head to the side where the two were dancing while chatting and laughing with each other. The Hatter was an easy man to get along with, and Seulyi was quick to befriend anyone. Their chemistry came as natural as one would expect.
 
“The love potion has proven its worth as a powerful tool,” Hyunmi remarked, turning to Woohyun with a curious glint in her eyes. “What else does cupid have in store in his endeavor to make the princess fall for her suitor?”
 
Woohyun wasn’t sure why she was asking or what answer she wished to receive. “I am afraid I am left powerless if the princess already allowed her heart to be taken by someone else,” he spoke earnestly and watched her flinch. “Have you?”
 
Hyunmi stared at him in panic. The absence of his playful smile made her wonder whether he was asking out of pure curiosity, or whether there was a particular answer he had hoped to gain from her.
 
“I… I wouldn’t know,” she answered, slightly averting her gaze from him. He couldn’t possibly expect her to profess her feelings. She wasn’t even sure what it was, or what it indicated. Her understanding permitted knowledge that the symptoms Seulyi had spoken of after drinking the potion were emotions she experienced herself.
 
It made Woohyun grin, staring as if he had deliberately tried to make her flustered. He twirled her once in a perfect circle, and pulled her close against his chest. “It is time for me to depart, for I do not want to cause trouble with the king. People would question my intention if I seize all of the princess’ time.”
 
Hyunmi didn’t realize the pout she was making, not being very subtle in showing her disappointment. She regretfully felt him let go of her hand, and his other one slid away from behind her waist.
 
“Prepare your heart; real trouble is to come soon,” he then told her ambiguously.
 
Even as he turned to walk away and blend in with the rest of the guests, she had a feeling it was related to the mad Hatter’s shenanigans. What exactly did Myungsoo plan?
 
 


I find Sunggyu's character so entertaining. Cocky, cool, yet comedic. Ah, notice the alliteration? :3