Three Tasks

Cupid at Heart
Hope revealed itself before the princess’ eyes. With her knees pressed against the cold floor, she folded her hands against her chest.
 
“Please, tell me about the three tasks,” Hyunmi pleaded.
 
Aphrodite elongated her silence, studying the flicker of determination in the princess’ eyes. There was something beautiful about her persistence that surpassed the fairness of her beauty. It triggered the goddess to speak of tasks so impossible no one had ever completed it before. Her aim sought for failure.
 
“The Golden Apple of Discord was awarded to the goddess with the most prized beauty. It was within my possession for centuries, until Zeus appeared and committed a grand act of theft. Your first task will be to retrieve that which was mine to begin with in the Spade kingdom.”
 
Hyunmi blinked her eyes, separating her lips into a small circle. This certainly was not a task she had expected. Entering the Spade Kingdom guaranteed a meeting with Prince Sunggyu, and she was not too fond of the possible encounter.
 
“Since the beginning of time, I have set my eyes on Hermes’ caduceus as well. It does not wield any power to me. However, I am enticed by its charming appearance. Your second task requires you to travel to the Diamond kingdom in order to obtain the staff from Hermes.”
 
Indeed, the tasks were getting more and more ridiculous. Aphrodite was convinced the princess would not last for another day. Her determination would perish as soon as the reality of hardship sunk in her conscience. She needed to push it further, enjoying the gleam of confusion appearing on the princess’ face.
 
“Lastly, there are rumors that Queen Persephone from the Underworld keeps her beauty in a box at Clover Kingdom. Your third task will be to hand me the box. However, you must not open it at all cost, or maladies will befall upon the human world.”
 
Less and less details were given per mission, and Hyunmi found herself trapped in a maze of actual facts and fictional legends. How was she to obtain such artefacts? She had no idea where or how to begin.
 
“Such are the tasks I require of you before I will allow you to meet cupid.”
 
Aphrodite spoke no more, letting her words carry on into a grim smile curving her dark red lips. She turned away, expecting the princess to break down in hopelessness like a crumbling flower losing its spark.
 
“Do you promise?”
 
Yet, Aphrodite was wrong. Turning around, the princess stared back with eyes protruding steadfastness she hadn’t ever seen before. It was a quality possessed by neither deities or human beings, and she grew curious as to its identity.
 
“A goddess does not break her promise,” Aphrodite spoke, elegantly enveloping her arms in front of her chest. She watched a smile break out on the princess’ face, morphing any hint of worries into a captivating gladness. Within that short second, the princess’ beauty shun through.
 
“I am eternally grateful,” Hyunmi spoke, lowering her head out of respect. “I shan’t disappoint you.”
 
With new hope ceasing her heart, she got up on her feet and curtsied once more before the goddess. She then exited the goddess’ temple and saw the entire town clothed in silky twilight. The sun was fast asleep. Her only way to return to the Heart castle was by feet. It would be a long and tedious journey.
 
However, a sudden neigh appeared from the side, bearing a glowing and more majestic quality than her father’s royal horses. She could not explain the odd phenomenon until she looked sideways, standing surprised at the appearance of a beautiful white horse with idle wings by its side. Even without its owner, she could recognize the magical creature anywhere. It was Woohyun’s pegasus.
 
“Have you come by yourself, then?” She asked, reaching to the pegasus to caress its muzzle. Its texture pressed softly against her skin, smoother than a regular horse, almost as if its fur was polished instead of brushed. It retained its origin as a mythical creature, after all.
 
The pegasus neighed again, moving its head and feet to tell her something.
 
By now, the princess knew Woohyun was too wounded to appear in front of her due to her own mistake. Yet, she’d like to believe he sent her the pegasus in order to lend a helping hand. As much as she longed to see him again, she wished he felt the same way too.
 
“Could you take me back to the kingdom?” She asked, continuing to its forehead as it nodded. The princess smiled and stealthily got on the pegasus’ back. Even without the aid of a saddle or a stirrup, she managed to seat herself on top of the animal. Her long skirt was the only obstacle hindering her path, yet, she overcame the small disturbance and headed back to the palace.
 
Truthfully, she had not formulated a plan or thought of a solution. How could she, when she had no clue or vision on the appearance of the items she had to find? Her answer lied in her ability to question the representatives of each kingdom, though some were better avoided. She would seek Dongwoo first and inform him of her three tasks. Her brother would help reduce the king’s fury in her time of absence. He was the only confidant she could trust in.
 
“Please head to that balcony towards my brother’s room,” Hyunmi directed the pegasus, stretching her arm to a particular direction. The creature obeyed and soared toward said direction. Its hooves landed on the balcony that was no different from her own, though less flora and fauna decorated it.
 
“Please wait here,” she told the pegasus, hoping Woohyun would lend her the creature until she had completed the mission. The more obedient it was, the higher her hopes were of Woohyun’s secret involvement. Perhaps he had forgiven her mistake and wanted nothing more but for her to succeed.
 
The sun barely announced itself through the bleak night, showing subtle rays of light from a faraway distance. She had presumed her brother to be asleep, but a closer leap towards the room revealed an argument unveiling between hushed voices. She disregarded her earlier intention and carefully pressed her ear against the glass door, trying to prey for some information.
 
“If the three of us plea together, father would certainly release her,” Dongwoo’s muffled voice sounded. His tone was bathed in concern and exhaustion. One would wonder whether he had gotten any sleep at all over the past few nights.
 
“Father would release her if she marries Prince Sunggyu.” It was Soonkyu who spoke. Hyunmi’s siblings had gathered to discuss her issues.
 
“I can negotiate with father. Hyunmi’s release from her engagement will be the only condition I have before marrying Princess Biah.” Dongwoo kept striving for a solution.
 
“That would be threatening him,” Soonkyu corrected her younger brother. There was some silence in the room before she spoke again. “If only the prince had been willing to marry anyone else, this problem would not have persisted.”
 
“However, our sister’s beauty truly is a curse. Prince Sunggyu only looks at her outward appearance,” Hyoyeon continued.
 
“Cupid is a man after all, and no exception to her curse. He only seeks her outer appearance,” Soonkyu added on.
 
“Who knew she’d be gullible enough to believe in our provocations? I expected her to have more faith in her lover. Apparently she was also looking at his appearance.”
 
“Cupid is quite foolish to be charmed by the likes of our sister. He is better off banished from our land. We have no need for such lowly gods.”
 
Before Dongwoo could put up a protest, the glass door to his balcony slid open in a rushed motion, nearly shattering it into pieces. Three heads turned sideways, flabbergasted to see the most unexpected figure standing there.
 
“Hyunmi!” They spoke, a stark contrast of pure joy and horror contained in their intonation.
 
The youngest princess stared at her two sisters with daggers in her eyes, ready to cut down their senseless words. “You may speak badly of me, but do not insult Woohyun,” she told them through her gritted teeth.
 
“H… How did you escape the high tower? Did father release you?” Soonkyu asked immediately, taking a peek at the entrance to look for any clues.
 
“Would my answer allow you to manipulate me into surrender? Do you wish to see me locked up and isolated in that prison chamber again?”
 
Hyunmi never showed such disrespect toward her sisters. Their tense atmosphere had always lingered around, but she continued seeking for their attention. This incident indicated the wrong type of attention she had received—instead of finding affection, she found destruction.
 
“Do you feel superior to us because men are always at your feet, darling sister?” Hyoyeon walked towards her, seeing Hyunmi’s confidence slowly crumbling. “We may have planted seed of doubts in your head, but it was you who let it grow.”
 
Hyunmi’s hard gaze depleted into a sight of hesitation, and soon no confidence remained on her face. She bit her lips and creased her eyebrows as she let Hyoyeon push her shoulder backwards.
 
“We uncovered your relationship and told father about it. It appears you have been unable to maintain it since then,” Hyoyeon continued.
 
You two told father about it?” Hyunmi repeated, letting only those revelation linger as the rest of the sentence muted itself. Of course, it had to be someone close enough to watch her subtle reactions around Woohyun. Whenever they riled her up with the intention to make her jealous, they were merely testing her reaction. She walked right into their trap, falling prey to hungry predators.
 
“He was not amused,” Soonkyu said with a sinister grin. “As I am sure he would be if he finds out you have escaped the high tower prison.”
 
As they tried deciphering the meaning of Soonkyu’s words, the oldest princess run to Dongwoo’s door, swinging it open to make a loud announcement.
 
“Guards! Guards!” She created an entire commotion before the sun rose. “The youngest princess has escaped!”
 
The security guards showcased their impeccable and nearly perfect performance when around ten men gathered in an orderly row. They were trained to stay alert at all times, even during the most inconvenient time.
 
Before the men could storm into his room, Dongwoo quickly grabbed his sister by her hand, pulling her out towards the balcony. Then he shut the glass entrance, locking it from the outside. The sight of the pegasus caught him by surprise, yet he understood its purpose.
 
“Sungjong informed me regarding Woohyun’s departure. I assume there is more you’d like to tell me,” Dongwoo said, taking a deep breath to calm himself down. Though the yelling and screaming echoed in his room, he chose to mute it all out. He rested his hands on her shoulders, giving her a small squeeze.
 
“I met with Aphrodite. She presented me three tasks to complete before I am allowed to meet Woohyun again. I have no other choice but to comply to her requests,” she said in a rush, aware of the guards thinking of ways to unlock the door.
 
“Do you absolutely have to do this?”
 
“I have to see him again. I won’t let him go like this.”
 
Dongwoo nodded his head, mumbling inaudible words under his breath. He chanted positivity to keep himself reassured. “What are the three tasks?”
 
“I have to visit the Spade, Diamond, and Clover kingdoms. Each stores an item that Aphrodite wishes to retrieve,” Hyunmi answered.
 
“Very well. I shall do my best to talk to father, assuring him of your safety. Please do stay safe, sister. We have already lost our mother, I can’t bear to lose you either.” The tears sparkled in his eyes, which he quickly tried to brush off using the edge of his night outfit. The shoutings in the background ruined the tearful moment.
 
“Rest assured, brother. I will make it out alive,” she said, about to mount the pegasus. But she remembered an important reason for her visitation, and quickly returned to Dongwoo. She grabbed his hand in hers, staring at him with big pleading eyes. “I have a favor to ask you.”
 
Dongwoo looked perplexed, willing to listen to his beloved sister’s request.
 
“Please do not concern yourself over my love affairs. I do not wish for you to destroy your future for my sake. You musn’t marry Princess Biah at all cost,” she pleaded, the frown hardening on her face. This was the only chance she had to convey her thoughts and worries to her brother.
 
Dongwoo blinked his eyes, staring at her with lips parted apart. They had been through the same discussion countless of times before, and he wondered why she wasn’t willing to accept his help.
 
“The only reason I would agree to your marriage is if you bear romantic feelings for the princess. Do you?” Hyunmi continued asking, genuinely hoping for him to say no.
 
“I barely know the maiden.”
 
“Indeed.” She nodded in relief, tightening the grip around his hand. “I should inform you that the princess’ heart already belongs to another man.”
 
The news surprised him once again. He did not even need to question her knowledge, simply believing in every word she said.
 
“If you insist on the marriage, you’d be playing the antagonist to a couple, like Prince Sunggyu is to me and Woohyun. I do not wish for you to be like that.” Hyunmi offered him the faintest smile and slowly released her hands from him. She tiptoed to give him a small peck on his cheek. “I love you.”
 
Without waiting any longer, she quickly jumped on the pegasus, commanding it to make their big escape. The glass door slid open and the guards managed to swarm though, but the princess was long gone, leaving Dongwoo by himself to ponder on her revelation. They had no chance to catch up with her unless they travelled through the morning sky.
 
“Well, that was quite a dramatic return. I exquisitely enjoyed the show.”
 
Hyunmi recognized the whimsical voice as easy as knowing the locations of her herbs in the kitchen drawers. It was by no doubt the hatter who had found and rejoined her. However, riding along on the chimera were Seulyi, Sungyeol, and even Sungjong in his purple cat form.
 
“What are you doing here?” Hyunmi asked, though her lips couldn’t stop from grinning too much.
 
“We heard a ruckus about you having escaped the high tower. So I quickly notified the hatter and march hare to come and rescue you,” Seulyi explained, her eyes falling on the pegasus. “Though you have found an effective escape method yourself.”
 
“And I have decided to tag along because things are quite a bore without you around,” Sungjong spoke in his singsong voice. It was hard to tell his authenticity, but he seemed to be a dependable comrade as well.
 
“Y-y-yeah! We will help you find Woohyun,” even Sungyeol added, chuckling to himself like a lunatic.
 
The fact that Hyunmi had some people—and a cat—she could count on was heartwarming. She had no idea how or when she’d be able to find Woohyun, but a journey accompanied by loved ones would make the thorny road worthwhile in the end.
 
“So where to, Your Highness?” Myungsoo asked, ready to command Chi-Chi.
 
Hyunmi grinned at them, knowing exactly what her first task was. “To the Spade kingdom.”
 



You can see where it follows the actual Cupid & Psyche myth, and also what's different about it if you know the actual story. Even if you don't, enjoy~ Thank you for reading and commenting! <3