Back Home

Being the perfect omega

Jackson was welcomed by warm arms of Minhyuk and Jooheon who immediately led him to his room where a full medical team was waiting. Jackson furrowed his brows but Minhyuk just led him to his bed and allowed the medic to look at his wound. Jackson flinched as the bandages were removed and Minhyuk was silently crying as he watched how much pain Jackson tolerated all for the sake of his brother. Jooheon felt his mate’s body shaking so he held the omega close and kissed his cheek, he assured him that everything was going to be fine.

 

It wasn’t.

 

Hyunwoo told them of what the medics at Ahgase kingdom told them, that Jackson’s right shoulder could have been damaged beyond repair and that his movements could be impaired, but what can they do when Jackson did it to himself? Kihyun instantly wrapped his arms around his mate, allowing Hyunwoo to breakdown for failing to protect the prince, and Jaebum too shed tears, with Jinyoung lending his shoulder for the alpha to hide his face, they had failed in their duties. But both Jinki and Jonghyun never blamed them, thanked them even for risking their lives for Jackson, despite their son being an omega.

 

“You could’ve died Jackson.” Jonghyun said as he ran a hand on his son’s hair.

 

“I’m sorry, I made you worry.” Jackson replied, truly sad for putting his parents in such a dire situation.

 

“I will understand if you let me understand.” Jonghyun replied and Jackson looked at his omega father, a tear slid from his eyes. “I will not tell Jinki if that would make you trust me.” Jonghyun said and Jackson extended his uninjured arm and allowed his father to wrap him in an embrace while he cried his heart out.

 

Jonghyun bit his lip as he tried to be strong for his son, he wished he could take all his pain and carry them away from his precious baby but he can’t and it killed him.

 

“I love you Jackson, always remember that.” Jonghyun muttered as he rubbed soothing circles on Jackson’s back and he felt his son breathe peacefully as he slept. Jonghyun then allowed himself to cry, feeling the pain his son was going through and allowing himself to be weak at this point. Jinki conveniently came to his side and wrapped both omega in his warmth, giving them security and making them at peace. Jonghyun need not to say a word for Jinki to understand, they were mates after all.

 

“Should we pursue with his mating?” Jonghyun asked and Jinki sighed, do they have a choice at the moment?

 

“We will only step in when necessary; it’s still Jackson’s free will.” Jinki replied and Jonghyun nodded as Jinki placed a chaste kiss on his mate’s lips.

 

That night, Jackson slept peacefully between his parents, like he did when he was a child. Jonghyun and Jinki wrapped him in their arms and Jonghyun sang a lullaby; it felt like those innocent days of the past and both Jonghyun and Jinki would give everything to keep their son healthy and happy.

 

The morning that followed, Jackson was greeted with happy chirps from a 5 month old Changkyun who wanted to be near his godfather. Jackson noticed that his parents already left but he could still smell their mated scent, and it was comforting for him.Jackson motioned for Kihyun to bring the child over and the retainer sat next to him and placed a gurgling Changkyun on his lap. Jackson played with the kid who was clearly enjoying the attention.

 

“He is growing up well Kihyun hyung.” Jackson beamed and Kihyun could only return the smile.

 

“He missed you. He missed Hyunwoo, but he missed you too.” Kihyun said and Jackson kissed the baby’s chubby cheeks.

 

“You did Kyunnie?” He asked and the kid just gurgled, extending his chubby arms to touch the godfather’s skin.

 

There was a knock on the door and soon Jaebum and Hyunwoo came to apologize to Jackson while Jinyoung and Bambam pushed in the food tray. Jackson frowned at them, berating them on how it was not their fault before he turned to the barely 2 month old Youngjae. Jackson was excited to see the baby again that he was squealing for Kihyun to sit next to him. Jinyoung sat on the other side of the bed and carefully transferred Youngjae onto Jackson’s left arm. Jackson smiled brightly as Youngjae smiled at him, his heart was truly happy to see the bundle of joy.  Changkyun then gurgled and Kihyun placed the baby nearer to Youngjae and both babies were now smiling and gurgling in delight. Jackson smiled wider and then turned to Kihyun and Jinyoung who nodded and smiled back.

 

“Aren’t they cute, finding their soulmates at a young age.” Jackson joked and Jaebum cleared his throat.

 

“What? You don’t find my baby fit for yours?” Kihyun glared at Jaebum.

 

“How can you agree when they are babies, they can’t even tell what’s reality at this point.” Jaebum argued.

 

“Okay, you guys out. If you want to play Romeo and Juliet, Please not in my charge’s room.” Bambam said with a hand placed on his hip.

 

Jinyoung carefully took Youngjae and mouthed that Jaebum is a little overprotective already while Hyunwoo took Changkyun who immediately bit Hyunwoo’s bicep. “Maybe he has reason to, Changkyun can’t hold his bite.” Hyunwoo said and with that statement, Jaebum pulled Jinyoung out of the room and away from Changkyun.

 

“How dare him.” Kihyun rushed outside while Hyunwoo cradled his son and waved goodbye.

 

Jackson laughed at that, how melodramatic the babies’ love story will be in the future. If only his situation would be similar, he could have a mate nearer to home and someone he had grown up with, but fate was cruel.

 

Bambam placed his food tray and Jackson thanked his retainer before looking at him with strange seriousness.

 

“Bamie, please tell me the truth, your necklace?” Jackson pointed to the triangular piece of gold with inlaid dandelion logo.

 

Bambam closed his hand on it and blushed before revealing his story to the prince. Jackson smiled at him and then held out his hand for Bambam to hold.

 

“Bamie, you can go and mate with Yugyeom, I am not going to stop you from getting your happiness.” Jackson said and Bambam frowned at that.

 

“I will serve you Jackson hyung, till my last breath.” Bambam uttered.

 

“No, Bammie, when I get to mate, I will release you of your obligations and you are free to mate with Yugyeom, you deserve this.” Jackson smiled and Bambam felt warm tears slid down his cheeks. “Don’t cry Bambam.” Jackson said and Bambam sniffed and nodded before helping Jackson with his food.

 

 

Jackson looked out of his window and sighed, was he really going to pursue this life? Was he really going to bear the pain for as long as he can? Jackson never really gave up that easily, but could this be the right time to do so?

 

His reverie was broken when Jinyoung knocked and he entered, handing a cup of steaming organic tea for Jackson.

 

“We will be returning by August, I would want to invite you to Youngjae’s Christening if you can make it.” Jinyoung said and Jackson bit his lower lip.

 

“It’ll probably fall on October, it’s gonna be busy here.” Jackson confessed and Jinyoung nodded in understanding.

 

“You may need time to heal properly too.” Jinyoung said guiltily.

 

“Hey, I would really love to go if I can. Don’t worry about it.” Jackson reassured Jinyoung and the retainer beamed him a sad smile.

 

“I wish I could do something in return for you, you’ve done a lot for me, my family and my kingdom.” Jinyoung said and Jackson held the omega’s hand.

 

“Raise Youngjae well and take care of your charge, that’s all I can ask for.” Jackson said and Jinyoung nodded as he squeezed Jackson’s hand.

 

“Why would you care for Mark so much? He haven’t treated you that well.” Jinyoung pondered and Jackson sighed.

 

“He is Minhyuk hyung’s brother, a family.” Jackson replied half truthful but Jinyoung could read between the lines.

 

“Please don’t hurt yourself too much; you deserve to be happy too.” Jinyoung replied and Jackson thanked him wholeheartedly.

 

Jackson was left to ponder even more, of his life choices and his struggles, was it really worth it? In the end, he just shrugged and walked out of his room to meet his mentor who had helped him when he presented. Jackson walked down the halls, paying attention to the hanging portraits of monarchs that reigned the X-clan for centuries and he wore a bitter smile when he saw the portrait of his family, when his grandfather and grandmother where in their prime and had crowned Henry as the heir to the throne. He saw his father’s proud smile as he was a mere baby who sat on his lap while Jonghyun stood by Jinki’s side. He then glanced to his cousin, a few months younger and a carbon copy of his alpha father, tiny eyes and chubby cheeks; how those times were just so peaceful.

 

Jackson never really wanted anything grand in this point of his life, just a mate that would accept him but that was like a farfetched dream at the moment. He arrived at his destination and he knocked on the door carefully. He was attended by an assistant and Jackson was lead to a study were his mentor sat and reading a book.

 

“I do understand that you are here to inquire my dear prince, but please take care of yourself.” His mentor noted as he looked at the sling on the prince’s arm.

 

“I had to do what is right.” Jackson confessed.

 

“I know my dear child, as I can tell why.” His mentor was indeed wise. ‘So how can I help you my child?” His mentor asked.

 

Jackson hesitated and his mentor gave him an encouraging smile. Jackson then sighed and spoke his mind. “Can.. Can an omega mate with not his true mate?” Jackson asked and his mentor nodded in understanding.

 

“Ah, my dear prince seemed to have a dilemma at hand.” His mentor paused and sipped some tea.  “Yes, it is possible of course, not all find their true mates and in some cases, they are forced to mate with available partners.” His mentor said and Jackson nodded. ‘But it seems a bit different for you my dear.” His mentor pointed out.

 

Jackson widened his eyes and sighed. “I think I found my mate but..” Jackson bit his lip, he felt hotness swell behind his eyelids.

 

“I understand my prince. As long as you don’t initiate intimacy then you are going to be safe.” His mentor said and Jackson nodded. “Can you offer this old man a story?” His mentor said and Jackson smiled as he did tell the old man figments of his life.

 

Jackson returned to his room with a heavy heart, it had just solidified his thoughts that he had decided to do the right thing for the sake of his family. Jinki entered his son’s room and Jackson bowed at him. Jinki made him sit on his bed and allowed the son to gather his thoughts and courage to tell him what was on his mind. Jinki noticed the hesitation in his son’s actions and it made him want to wrap the omega in a barrier and keep all evil away from his precious child.

 

“I,” Jackson started, voice small and stuttering. “I leave my mating to you father.” Jackson said with head bowed and Jinki’s heart shattered, this could only mean one thing, his son has been rejected.

 

“Have you found them?” Jinki asked, voice firm but his emotions were not. Jackson could merely nod once and Jinki felt his fist clench. “I see, I shall see to it that we find you a suitable partner.” Jinki said and Jackson looked up to his father with tears in his eyes, and that completely broke Jinki’s heart.

 

Jinki immediately wrapped his son in a tight embrace, careful to not hurt the injured shoulder. Jinki then placed a kiss on the omega’s head and gently hummed a comforting song as Jackson let himself be at his weakest.  “They don’t deserve you Jackson.” Jinki muttered and held his son tighter.

 

Jackson felt tired as he stepped out into the small yard of Hyunwoo’s parent’s house by the end of June. Changkyun just turned 6 months and as per tradition, the child must be christened to welcome him to the kingdom and thus shall receive the protection of the state. Jackson felt the sun warm on his skin as he slowly walked towards the proud parents holding the 6 month old baby. Jackson kissed the boy’s cheek before he pinned a red cloth on the kid’s clothes, as a sign of his godfather’s promise to guide and protect him.

 

 

“You look pale, your majesty.” Kihyun remarked, genuinely worried as he looked at Jackson’s tired face.

 

“Must be the weather Kihyun hyung, it is going to be summer soon.” Jackson shrugged and gave his final words before he sat next to his father who had handed him a plate of pastries from the buffet table.

 

Kihyun sighed as he held Changkyun tightly, why can’t his friend find happiness like everyone else, Jackson may lie to himself that he is okay but others around him are not blind to see how he is suffering. Hyunwoo squeezed his shoulder lightly and the mates shared a knowing look, they both wanted to help but don’t know why.

 

Jackson spent most of his time in his room, legs pulled towards his body and silent tears falling from his eyes. He couldn’t help but feel pitiful, he was a huge disappointment of his kingdom. First, he presented as an omega, such a low status for a prince looked up to by several hundreds of his countrymen. Then he got rejected by his mate. Jackson surely did not reveal it to everyone or who his mate was, and people were angry at him; how can he protect such jerk who shoes to reject him. But Jackson kept silent, he was going to allow his mate to live a life without him, because he was not suitable no matter how he tried.

 

Days passed and Jackson looked a lot sickly than before, his eyes were having dark circles and his skin was losing their suppleness. His wound did healed but he was having difficulty with therapies, he was too tired to lift slightly heavy things and it just frustrated him how weak he had become at this point.

 

Jonghyun looked at his son and can’t help but shed tears, his son doesn’t deserve the pain at all, what did he do wrong to receive such burden; why must it be Jackson, of all people, to be rejected by his mate?

 

“Pa,” Jackson called out from his bed and Jonghyun smiled at his son, at least tried to smile to give him comfort. “I really am sorry.” Jackson said and Jonghyun’s heart was just pulverized.

 

“You didn’t do anything wrong Jackson.” Jonghyun reminded him.

 

“I don’t feel that way.” He confessed and Jonghyun was rendered speechless. “I am useless anyway.” Jackson shrugged and closed his eyes.

 

“You are not useless.” Jonghyun took Jackson’s hand and held it tightly. “You are not Jackson.” Jonghyun silently cried, how can he release his son from all this pain?

 

Minhyuk’s mood swang as July kicked in, mostly because he was affected by Jackson’s sadness and self pity. He tried to accompany the omega as much as he could but Jackson most  of the times locked himself inside his room. Minhyuk felt restless and frustrated that he would vent out on Jooheon. Jooheon was hurt at first but when Minhyuk broke down and told him how he felt useless about not helping Jackson at all, Jooheon knelt down and hugged his mate before placing a reassuring kiss on his nape.

 

“We are all trying, Minhyukie, it’s not your fault.” Jooheon said but Minhyuk felt that it was, and he couldn’t comprehend.

 

“Why must it be him?” Minhyuk asked rhetorically and Jooheon could only swallow hard, he didn’t know the answer himself.

 

“Hyukie, we’ll figure something out.” Jooheon said, not really confident if they could pull it off, but at least they could try to be there for Jackson.

 

Minhyuk never really forgot to smile and try to make Jackson smile by going to market trips and generally keeping Jackson busy so he could feel that he is needed. Jooheon always invited him to train with him and meet royal guests, he was even introduced to a single alpha who had showed interest in him.

 

“Can we submit a proposal?” Prince Eunwoo of Aroha Kingdom asked, a little younger than Jackson, but all the more confident in his status.

 

“Oh, really?” Jackson asked and the young prince nodded. “Thank you for taking interest, but I leave the decision to my parents.” Jackson said and Eunwoo gave him a shy smile.

 

“I will try to prove my worth your highness.” Eunwoo said before he bid his goodbye and left the palace with his entourage.

 

Jooheon was grinning at his cousin and that made Jackson burst out into fits of laughter, such a precious sound they haven’t heard in a while. Jackson had tears in his eyes as he regained his composure and smiled thoughtfully at his cousin.

 

“Why don’t you try Jackson?” Jooheon said and Jackson shrugged his shoulders.

 

“Like I said, I leave them up to my parents.

 

When August kicked in and the medics cleared Jinyoung and Youngjae to travel, Jackson gave them a sad smile. He would miss them grately, especially Youngjae who would always demand his attention. Changkyun tugged at the prince’s robes and Jackson picked up the boy, the 9 month old was getting heavy and was trying his best to start walking, who was pouting at Youngjae, maybe because they are going to be separated soon.  Jackson kissed Youngjae’s cheek but doing that, Changkyun was also able to kiss Youngjae on the lips. Both omegas were shocked and soon Jaebum was grabbing Youngjae from Jinyoung while Kihyun took Changkyun and demanded Jaebum to compensate.

 

The two were never going to agree at this point even if the evidences are pointing towards the two as mates but Jackson found it entertaining and was soon laughing hard, and to Jinyoung, he would treasure that for days on past.

 

“I will miss you my dear prince.” Jinyoung said as he bowed low and Jackson took his hand and held it tightly.

 

“I will miss you too, but remember to take care okay?” Jackson reminded him and Jinyoung was pulled into a tight hug. “Just take care.” Jackson spoke softly and Jinyoung could feel sadness course through his body, he was going to miss this surely.

 

When all was settled and the august breeze finally blew, Jackson was ready to face his fate.

 

 

 

 

----

 

a/n: I was a little late I know. Work stuff was just too stressful and I did have to finish some DIY projects so yeah.. sorry for that.

 

Anyway. Would like to thank everyone for the support you gave this fic, from kudos and Bookmarks (AO3), Upvote and subscribes (AFF) and comments. I do appreciate each of them whole heartedly.

 

I know that this will be a predictable story and I will end it sooner than later, so I would really like to extend my gratitude to all who had given their time in reading my fanfiction.

 

And last for this chapter… I listened to a lot of sad songs to inspire me into writing the angst and one of them is SVT’s DK’s cover of She didn’t love me. It really gave me the final push to finish this chapter.