a jubilant overture

Band Is Love, Band Is Life

No one has seen Sana for days.

 

It’s strange; Sana is the social type who is always going off to hang out with friends or surrounding herself in the chaos that is high school, but peculiarly enough, the blonde flute player hasn’t been spotted for days. Some have caught brief glimpses of her in class but outside of that, nothing.

 

But there’s a crowd in the auditorium during lunch today (which never happens), and Tzuyu can only guess what kind of shenanigans are going on in there. She eyes the flock of people heading over with mild disinterest, wondering what all the fuss is about, until Chaeyoung stops in front of her and tells her to get up. 

 

“Come on, we’re going to be late.”

 

Tzuyu blinks at her but gets up nonetheless. “Late for what?”

 

“Didn’t you hear? Second-chair flute guy challenged Sana for her seat and now it’s an open audition; there are over five people lined up for a shot at that chair.”

Tzuyu is surprised. She hasn’t caught wind of any of this, but she guesses she should’ve known; why else would Minatozaki Sana disappear from the face of the earth for such a long time? Something is definitely cooking.

 

The auditorium is already packed when they get there; the duo has to squeeze in the back and head up to the back seats that overlook the entire auditorium. Tzuyu shifts next to Chaeyoung. “What’s going on?” She asks again as she tries to get comfortable in her red plush seat.

 

Chaeyoung shushes her and points to the stage where the conductor and three other members of the Music Department are seated in a row. The cocky boy from before already has his flute and music out in front of him, ready to play. He looks confident- too confident for anyone’s liking. There are a handful of other ambitious flute players including some underclassmen (Chaeyoung scoffs; word of the audition must’ve implied that the unspoken band hierarchy was disintegrating.) The conductor and the others are getting situated in their seats at the table while the flute players set up on the side of the stage.

 

Sana walks the back door in a few minutes later, the latest of all the auditioners today, and her presence brings a hush over the room. It is the first time anyone’s seen her in a while anyway, and she actually seems normal- she's smiling and greeting her classmates all while making her way through the seats of the large room to the stage. It’s no secret that she’s attracting copious amounts of attention; everyone is curious to see how the current first-chair flute would be reacting on this day in a situation like this. But she seems fine- and that’s precisely what is disturbing to the other auditioners. Sana is cool, confident, and she looks like this is just a mild disturbance in her otherwise perfectly fabulous life. It’s kind of funny since Chaeyoung is probably the only one here who knows how the girl really feels, but the smaller girl stays where she is at the back, out of sight and out of mind.

 

Sana passes by the other contenders and takes a seat by the edge of the stage, taking her time to set up her flute. The others were warming up but now they’re mostly just watching Sana, who simply plays a quick scale after throwing her flute together and deems herself ‘warmed.’

 

The conductor clears his throat. “Alright then, since everyone is here, why don’t we get started?”

 

The underclassmen go first as per high school hierarchy and while they’re talented, they’re still not first-chair standard, so it quickly becomes clear that this is a competition between the two best seniors- Sana and her unfriendly neighbor.

 

The others finish quickly enough, with their renditions of Bach’s minuets and pop songs. Sana’s competitor steps up first since he’s feeling all too confident in himself, and he introduces himself grandly.

 

The music teacher finally looks up. “What will you be playing for us today?”

 

He grins. “I’ll be playing Carmen’s Fantasy.”

 

There’s a hushed gasp across the auditorium, particularly among the band kids and other flutists because they know the level of this kind of piece. It’s an absolute staple of flute music- every serious flutist will have played it at least once in their high school years and it’s fairly rare for anyone in a high school to be playing such a piece although it has happened a couple times before.

 

Chaeyoung is actually a little impressed. “He’s really going for it, huh?”

 

Tzuyu nods. “Yeah. I wonder how he’ll play.” She says absentmindedly, fidgeting with the hems of her long-sleeve shirt.

 

He plays well- he plays really well, especially compared to the rest of the auditioners who seem lackluster now in comparison. Everyone is quiet when he plays and even the conductor seems surprised at his music selection. It’s a beautiful blend of skill, technique, breath, and everything a good flute player should have under his belt at an advanced high school level. It’s something else, that’s for sure, and it brings him tremendous applause when he’s done.

 

But Sana is next and Sana’s got a few tricks up her sleeve today.

 

She takes her spot in the limelight and the room is instantly quiet, eager to see what the seemingly stupid girl could possibly do to top the previous performance.

 

Well, she destroys it.

 

If his song was grand hers is grander- she plays Taffanel’s Mignon Fantasie with zero flaws, perfect execution, dynamics, tempo, articulation, emotion, everything and anything that is musical and perfect and the rooms holds still as she plays- when she finishes however many minutes later, the room is stunned silent.

 

Tzuyu stares at the stage slackjawed, Chaeyoung of similar expression. “When I’d told her to play Taffanel, I didn’t think she'd take it this far.” The shorter girl thinks to herself, thoroughly impressed with Sana’s apparent show of capability.

 

Tzuyu is having other thoughts. “Oh my God.”

 

Momo breaks the silence- she screeches from somewhere in the crowded room “YASSS SANA YOU GO GURL KILLEM,” (Momo is known to have beef with the arrogant second-chair flutist; she and Sana are not acquainted enough to be considered friends but Momo’s looked forward to that boy’s demise for a long time now- when she heard about the auditions, she was Team Sana all the way) and that’s all it takes for the stunned crowd to leap to their feet screaming, waving their arms, chanting SANA SANA SANA over and over. 

 

The conductor is knocked back to his senses by the sheer volume of cheers for the smiling girl on stage, and he leaps to his feet with renewed vigor. “SANA IS THE WINNER OF THIS COMPETITION.” He yells with a flourish, throwing his notebook somewhere off in the auditorium. The room becomes even more chaotic, if possible. The rest of the judges are clapping profusely, the students are going wild, and Sana is just smiling and waving prettily with her flute in hand through this whole thing.

 

Chaeyoung eventually comes to her senses as well and she claps enthusiastically. Tzuyu on the other hand, continues to sit there shellshocked.

 

Who knew that airhead actually had it in her?

 

Somewhere amidst the screams, Chaeyoung vaguely hears a female voice that sounds suspiciously like Im Nayeon shout “ MY ” to Sana’s opponent (she never passes up opportunities to flame her enemies), who glowers angrily and leaves the auditorium by himself (but everyone’s too busy adoring Sana to care) and the whole thing is a fantastic turnaround for Minatozaki Sana, who is one of the few band students who can confidently say that she loses no shred of her immense popularity by playing the flute and participating in band class.

 

Chaeyoung finds herself wishing she could be like the older girl in that aspect.

 


 

“You ready for this?”

 

Mina swings into the passenger seat of Momo’s car. “Of course I am.”

 

Momo chuckles and once Mina is strapped safely in her seat, they take off towards the library which is about a fifteen minute drive from Mina’s house. Mina’s saxophone is tucked in the trunk of Momo’s Jeep Wrangler and Momo’s stick bag is somewhere in the backseat. They have a concert in the library today; it’s a smaller ensemble they’ve brought today since their conductor selected only a couple people to play, and Mina is one of three saxophone players for today’s show. She and her section mates will be sitting with Tzuyu and the tenor/barry sax players today, completing the small reed section for today’s performance.

 

The song selection is jazzy today; Mina mulls over the setlist and it’s totally up her alley. They’re playing for the book signing event going on in the library today, where there should be plenty of old people in attendance and cookies and coffee. It should be fun- too bad Mina will be occupied for the majority of it.

 

Momo seems to read her mind. “Hopefully they’ll save some cookies for us.” She says over the vibey melody flowing through her car speakers. Mina hums her agreement as she nods along to the music. Momo’s always had the best mixes on her Spotify playlists.

 

“Did you eat this morning?” She asks the older girl, who chuckles and shakes her head as if Mina had asked her the stupidest question.

 

“Of course I did Mina. What else would I be doing in the morning?”

 

Mina rolls her eyes at her best friend; she must’ve forgotten in that moment that Momo is one of the biggest pigs she knows. “Excuse me for being a concerned citizen.” She huffs indignantly. The song changes to a Lauv song, one of Mina’s favorite artists, and she hums along to the mellow beat. 

 

Momo unconsciously taps her fingers to the song as she wrinkles her brow at Mina. “What did you eat this morning? Are you hungry?”

 

Mina sighs melodramatically. “I had the last of my toast. And what was left of my yogurt after Jihyo and Nayeon came through and basically demolished my groceries.” She says with the most sass and flourish Momo could ever elicit from her.

 

Momo winces sympathetically. “I’m sorry bud.”

 

Mina lets her head roll back against the headrest as her gaze falls to the passing scenery outside. “It’s fine.”

 

“Do you want to stop and grab something? My treat.”

 

Mina is tempted but she looks at her phone screen and is deterred. “Nah, maybe next time. Thanks though, Mo.”

 

Momo shrugs and flicks on a turn signal. “Alright then.”

 

They pull up to the library soon after and they both tumble out after Momo kills the engine- well, Mina tumbles out. She slept late last night playing games so she’s not exactly in good shape right now. Momo gets out of her car like a model though, and Mina’s derpiness only makes Momo look all the cooler.

 

No one seems to notice Mina’s horrid condition, thankfully- Dahyun still has hearts in her eyes as they pass her in notice, enthusiastically greeting her awesome Mina sunbae and Momo unnie as she points them in the direction of their setup room. Momo goes in first and claims a table to dump her stuff on while Mina places her saxophone case next to Momo’s bag and begins to set up.

 

It’s pretty relaxed in the spacious but intimate room and Momo eventually wanders off to chat with some of the other kids. It’s also a pretty small group- Nayeon is estimated to arrive soon with her tuba, and Jeongyeon on the trombone should complete the mini low-brass section. Momo is playing a drum set today with an underclassmen percussionist to fill in on triangle and the like. Tzuyu is the only clarinetist and Sana is the only flutist; there isn’t much space for flute players in jazz ensembles and Sana had been the obvious choice after she firmly solidified her position as first chair. There also isn’t much need for clarinets in today’s song selection so Tzuyu is the only one from her section present as well. Mina nods a greeting to Im Jaebum in the other corner, who is tuning his guitar, and to Brian who is playing the upright bass today.

 

Brian makes his way over with a smile. “Hey Mina.”

 

“Hi.” She responds simply, not looking up from her reed selection for today.

 

Brian peers over her shoulder. “Reeds?” He asks curiously, eyes scanning over the wide assortment Mina keeps in the depths of her saxophone case at all times.

 

“Yup.” She hums as she finally makes her choice. She picks a Vandoren V16, an unfiled reed with more resistance that would allow her to produce a dark, rich sound, appropriate for today’s songs. It well suits the smooth jazz songs that don’t have much in terms of flashy solos, but instead call for more soulful, toned playing.

 

Brian doesn’t know about reeds but at least he doesn’t make an of himself when he talks to Mina about these things and for that, she allows him to keep himself around. “Cool. You excited for today?” He asks as she makes her careful selection

 

He’s interrupted- the door swings opens and Sana prances in. “Good morning everyone!” She greets cheerfully, her flute case swinging haphazardly in her left hand and her Kate Spade tote in her right. Mina spares the flutist a tight smile before tucking her reed between her lips. Dahyun waves at the flute player who hops over to chat and greets everyone she passes on her way.

 

Brian looks back at her expectantly and she supposes she should say something. “Yeah. I love jazz, so today should be a lot of fun.”

 

Her answer satisfies him and he smiles. “Me too. My dad’s played in a jazz band since college and they’re always having these awesome improv sessions. I really look up to their sax player and pianist- they’re both incredibly intelligent and such amazing musicians.” He replies, tucking his hands in his pockets as he replies earnestly.

 

“That’s really cool.” Mina says through her reed. “So you must be really into jazz.”

 

He grins a little sheepishly. “I didn’t like jazz until high school, actually. My dad was really excited when I started getting into it though, and I picked up the upright bass from one of his close friends from school who teaches jazz in the States.”

 

“Oh yeah? Where does he live?” Mina asks as she carefully fixes her reed to her mouthpiece with her ligament.

 

“He currently teaches Jazz Studies at Butler School of Music in Austin Texas.” Brian says. “It’s kind of hot down there but it’s a good time and he’s really liking it there.”

 

Mina smiles briefly. “I bet. I was born there.”

 

Brian looks surprised. “Really? No way!” He looks excited at having found common ground. Mina finally finds her neck strap in her mess of a case.

 

“Yeah. I lived there for a bit before moving to Japan.”

 

Brian tilts his head. “How old were you when you moved?”

 

“Thirteen. I lived in Japan for two years before coming here.”

 

He looks impressed for some reason. “That’s so cool. You’ve got so much diversity in your roots.” He says, and he looks like he wants to say more but he’s interrupted.

 

“Brian!” One of the guys playing trombone waves at him from across the room. Brian waves a hand before turning back to Mina. 

 

“I gotta go run over some measures with Junior. I’ll talk to you later?” He says with a hopeful smile.

 

“Sure. See you later.”

 

He loops off to his waiting classmate and Mina turns back to her own business. A few feet away from her, Momo and Jackson are bickering about something stupid.

 

“Stephan Curry could totally kick your in basketball!”

 

“Oh yeah? Well that weirdo from YouTube could totally kick your in dancing!”

 

“What weirdo??”

 

Jackson splutters a little. “You know- you know! That one in the dancing studio with green hair?”

 

Momo looks genuinely confused. “Don’t you know a name?”

 

Jackson shakes his head. “A-Anyway! There are a lot of people who are better dancers than you! I bet even Mina is better than you!” He points a ringed finger at Mina’s back and both heads turn to the unwitting saxophonist (who also happens to be an excellent ballerina.)

 

Mina pretends not to notice them. Momo huffs and crosses her arms. 

 

“Okay that might be true, but Mina’s better at most things than most people. Can’t you think of a better example instead of Mina and ‘that weirdo from the internet’??”

 

Mina rolls her eyes at the stupidity of it all and turns back to her saxophone. While she’s running a soft cloth over the bell of her horn, Tzuyu and Chaeyoung enter the warmup room together. Tzuyu already has the body of her instrument set up and she trails behind Chaeyoung, who only hold a folder of sheet music today.

 

Sana is first to notice the duo and she flounces over enthusiastically. “Chaeyoung! Did you see me play at the audition??” She practically squeals as she attaches herself to the smaller girl.

 

Chaeyoung tries to pry Sana’s hands off her wrists. “Yeah, you were great.” She replies calmly but happily, genuinely glad for the older girl’s success. Sana continues to blab on- something about how much of a genius Chaeyoung is. In any case, everyone’s glad that Sana emerged triumphant and Sana herself is more than delighted at her showmanship.

 

No one likes the other guy anyway.

 

Tzuyu is quiet through the entire exchange. Sana smiles blindingly at both of them. “Are you guys ready for today?” She finally addresses Tzuyu as well, giving Chaeyoung her personal space back.

 

Tzuyu nods silently. Chaeyoung shifts her folder in her hands. “Yeah. What about you unnie?” The shortest of them asks, and both of them gaze at Sana with pure, innocent eyes. Sana almost coos at the sight but refrains from pinching any cheeks.

 

These kids are adorable.

 

Sana waves a hand about. “I’m just here for show, besides that one song. I don’t have any other grand parts today though- it’s all jazz, after all.”

 

Chaeyoung is more perceptive than Tzuyu or the idiotic Sana could ever discover (not that either of them know that though). “Oh, Tzuyu also doesn’t have any major parts today. Maybe you two will be sitting next to each other.”

 

Tzuyu just stares at Sana with wide unblinking eyes and Sana looks thoughtful. “True. We’ll find out soon I guess, I’m going to go and set up now. I’ll talk to you later Chaeyoung, good luck with your piano solo!”

 

She shoots them another smile and a wink for Tzuyu before sauntering off to where Dahyun is to set up her flute. Tzuyu is stunned still. Chaeyoung rolls her eyes at what’s clearly going on and tugs at her taller friend’s arm.

 

“Come on Tzu, finish setting up and get your music out before the conductor gets here.” She says, and the duo trots off to the nearby grand piano so Tzuyu can tune her clarinet.

 

The door slams open with a bang some time later and everyone is scared less. Jihyo stands in the doorway, domineering with a baton and a couple scores. “Hey losers.” She greets them all as she comes in.

 

Mina and Momo exchange glances. “Um, Jihyo? Why are you here?” Momo breaches carefully.

 

Jihyo plays the French horn and she certainly wasn’t supposed to be coming today. What is she doing?

 

Jihyo straightens up and raises her voice. “Listen up pansies! I got an email last night from our conductor dearest who seems to have consumed some bad cupcakes- long story short, he got food poisoning and I’m here to pose as conductor for today’s show.” Jihyo strides around and people part for her like Moses and the red sea. “I’m hungry and we’re on in twenty- I’m going to grab some cookies. You all better be set up and warmed up by the time I’m back!” She glares at them before slamming the door behind her, undoubtedly going straight for the library’s supply of cookies and coffee.

 

Mina laments silently to herself and her grumbling stomach.

 

Momo shivers slightly. “She’s kind of scary.” She says, looking warily at where Jihyo had been standing. Jackson nods his agreement. Mina casts one last silent glance at the door before clipping her saxophone to her neck strap.

 

Jeongyeon, who had walked in just in time for Jihyo’s declaration, seems a little embarrassed. “You don’t think it could’ve been the cupcakes we gave him right?” She says to a nearby Nayeon who shrugs.

 

“No way. That’s ridiculous. Who would actually eat cupcakes that have been sitting on your counter for a month?”

 

“Did he know that though?”

 

“I mean, he should know by now. I hope.”

 

Jeongyeon doesn’t seem fully convinced but accepts the explanation with a grain of salt, and Mina feels shivers run down her spine.

 

Oh my God.

 

Dahyun finally enters the room from her job guiding people to the room and she starts to warmup with some really really soulful jazz scales- a little too soulful- and soon everyone in the room is playing super immersive, soulful jazz scales in warmup as well. Momo doesn’t have an instrument to blow into, so she comes over from arguing with Jackson and says something to distract Mina from her warmup scales. They spend some time mulling over the meaning of ground fertilizer and soil acidity while waiting for this whole thing to start and after a few minutes, Mina’s seriously considering starting a garden or something. Somewhere in the distant, she hears Sana playing a soft rendition of ‘Sunny’, a flute jazz solo from Herbie Mann that sounds absolutely divine and Tzuyu’s clarinet playing the beginning legendary clarinet part from ‘Rhapsody in Blue’ with a soaring glide note that could move something in even the most stoic musician. Chaeyoung is apparently the pianist for today- she plays simple but pleasing improv that aligns with their jazzy theme of today. It would all sound nicer if they played together though, Mina thinks to herself, but soon enough it’s time to start and they all shuffle to their seats by the book signing.

 

“You all better not mess this up.” Jihyo glares at them with her large eyes and they all nod fervently.

 

It goes swimmingly- they play 125th Street Blues, Question of Hope and Memphis Underground (which Sana kills) and they even have Brian, Chaeyoung, and Momo play Blue and Sentimental together (Chaeyoung’s piano playing is on another level- Mina can’t help but wonder a little bit about the small girl she’s never really seen before who plays jazz piano likes it’s second nature). After those and a couple other songs, the whole thing is over at about 6:00pm and the library runs out of cookies and coffee, so Mina and Momo decide to have dinner together.

 

“Bye you two.” Nayeon waves as they make their way out, Mina’s saxophone tightly in her grip and Momo swinging her stick bag by the strings.

 

“See you in school.” Mina calls back and Momo waves as they walk out. They head to a small diner in the corner of town that Momo found one day wandering lost around the neighborhood and sit down. Momo orders for both of them and they finally recline into the booth seats after a long day of playing, improvising, and bearing the weight of Jihyo’s threats.

 

“Say,” Mina comments at one point, sipping at her cup of tea. “Do you know Chaeyoung?”

 

Momo tilts her head curiously. “Son Chaeyoung? Yeah, I’ve seen her in my gym class. What about her?”

 

Mina takes a moment before proceeding with her inquiries. “Doesn’t she play the oboe?”

 

Momo takes a moment herself to ponder the issue. “Yes, but I guess she plays piano as well. She’s really quiet, I haven’t gotten to know her well.”

 

Mina processes this information and they sit in silence for a bit. 

 

“Do you think she’s single?”

 

“What??”

 

Momo almost chokes at the question but Mina doesn’t flinch.

 

“Wh-Why are you wondering now? Shouldn’t you ask her yourself?”

 

Mina shrugs carelessly. “She’s kind of cute, don’t you think?” She asks, curious for her best friend’s opinion.

 

Momo looks at her incredulously. “Well, I guess. I haven’t looked closely enough- she’s always got these huge glasses on her face that makes it hard to tell objectively- and frankly, I’ve only really seen her in gym. Are you interested or something?”

 

Her companion shrugs and looks listlessly out the window of the yellow-lit diner. “You’re changing the subject. I was just curious. She’s always hanging around Tzuyu, so I was wondering if they’re together or something.”

 

Momo casts a dubious glance but lets it drop. “I wouldn’t know Minari. Maybe you should ask Tzuyu.”

 

That’s a great idea.

 


 

“Tzuyu!”

 

The taller girl does a double take at Myoui Mina striding down the hallway towards her. There are whispers- Mina’s fangirls are no joke, and Tzuyu almost sweats at the sheer number of looks they’re receiving as the older girl makes her way down the hall to where she’s standing.

 

Tzuyu gulps quietly and tries to focus on putting her things away in her locker. Tries to pretend like she hasn’t heard Mina’s calls of her name.

 

“Tzuyu- hey, Tzuyu! I’ve been calling your name for the past minute, are you alright?”

 

Mina is standing by her locker now staring at her. Tzuyu stares back. “I’m feeling fine. Good afternoon unnie.”

 

Mina doesn’t skip a beat. “Do you have a girlfriend?”

 

Tzuyu suddenly sees Sana in her periphery eyeing them but she’s too surprised at the sudden question to think much about it. “What?”

 

“Are you dating someone, Tzuyu?” Mina asks again, tapping her foot anxiously. She looks at Tzuyu imploringly.

 

The taller girl is clearly flustered. “Uhh, no. Not at the moment.” She finally brings herself to answer, fiddling nervously with the corners of the notebooks in her hands. Mina is a cool upperclassman that many look up to (and she has a lot in common with Tzuyu) but Tzuyu thinks they have too much in common- enough to the point where they could probably pass as siblings and no one would think twice. (TWICE!)

 

Mina seems satisfied with her answer. Minatozaki Sana has been inching closer and closer by the second. Tzuyu looks at the other senior briefly before returning her gaze back to Mina. “Why are you asking, unnie?”

 

Mina suddenly beams, the most delighted Tzuyu thinks she’s ever seen her. “Because if you’re not dating Chaeyoung, she must be single as well!”

 

Tzuyu feels her jaw drop. 

 

“Chaeyoung? My Chaeyoung?” She asks again to clarify.

 

Mina frowns. “I thought you said you weren’t dating. Why is she ‘your’ Chaeyoung?”

 

Tzuyu almost chokes on her own spit “I’m not- we’re not- it isn’t- we’re not dating! I was just a bit surprised, that’s all.” She manages to get out, feeling a blush creeping up her cheeks.

 

Mina tilts her head curiously. “Why are you so surprised? I was just asking.” She says innocently, reaching out a hand to feel Tzuyu’s forehead. “Are you feeling well? You look totally shook.”

 

Tzuyu blinks rapidly as she tries to piece together a coherent response. “It’s just- unnie, you like Chaeyoung?” She asks again, still not believing what she’s hearing.

 

Sana finally inches close enough to be considered within speaking proximity. “Chaeyoung is actually all kinds of cool and mature. You should really give her more credit, you guys.” She says, casually looping an arm around Mina’s shoulders (since when were they friends??) but Tzuyu still jumps slightly at the other girl’s sudden appearance.

 

Lunch just ended and here she is, loser underclassman sophomore talking to two of the coolest seniors in school. Who knew?

 

Tzuyu swallows as she feels the weight of her fellow schoolmates’ stares on her back. Mina stares at Sana weirdly, who just wears a spectacular smile on her face that practically gleams as she keeps her arm around Mina’s slim shoulders.

 

“Mina-chan, you’re so skinny. You should eat more.” Sana comments after the awkward silence following her appearance, poking at Mina’s ribcage. The other Japanese girl squawks and smacks Sana’s hand away.

 

“Stop that!”

 

A gleam suddenly appears in Sana’s eyes (that’s never good) and she takes her arm away from Mina’s shoulders. Mina blinks curiously at the other girl who suddenly has a predatory look in her eyes.

 

“Are you by any chance, ticklish?”

 

Sana’s hands go straight for Mina’s sides not a moment after, and the normally cool and composed girl leaps five feet in the air screaming. “OH MY GOD WHAT ARE YOU DOING ASDFGHJKL STAHP STAHP PLEASE I BEG YOU AHAHAHA LORD JESUS HAVE MERCY ON ME SOMEONE PLEASE GET THIS HEATHEN OFF ME-“

 

Sana stops after a couple minutes when she’s satisfied and Mina is keeled over on the ground, chest heaving for breath and face completely red. Tzuyu stands by awkwardly.

 

“Um, Mina unnie? Are you alright?”

 

She extends a hesitant hand to the floored senior who haggardly accepts, and Mina is pulled to her feet. She casts Sana a glare before smoothing out her rumpled black t-shirt and ripped jeans. 

 

“Who even are you?” She squints at Sana who only beams brightly at her.

 

“I’m Sana. I don’t think we’ve ever formally met.” The flutist extends her right hand to Mina, who looks at it hesitantly before shaking it, despite her suspicions. Her suspicious prove correct-  Sana’s other hand instantly sneaks to Mina’s ribcage but this time Mina is prepared; she smacks Sana’s hand away with the speed of light, readily impressing both Tzuyu and Sana, who snatches her hand back after the unexpected retaliation. Sana smiles at Mina guiltily as Mina glares at her.

 

“Well played Mina-chan, well played.” Sana says, impressed as she brings her hands back to her sides. Mina just frowns at her but turns back to Tzuyu who obviously has something to say.

 

“So you like Chaeyoung, Mina unnie?”

 

Mina shakes her head lightly, although she looks like she’s thinking about something. “No, I wouldn’t say that. I don’t really know her well and I saw her at the library concert last weekend. She plays piano really well and I hadn’t seen her before. I was curious, that’s all.” She explains, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. “I know you guys are friends so I thought I’d ask you first.”

 

Sana tilts her head to look questioningly at Mina. “Mina-chan, aren’t you dating Momo?”

 

Mina blinks at her. “Momo? Hirai Momo?”

 

Tzuyu also turns to look at the other senior. “Oh yeah. You guys are always together.”

 

Mina shakes her head. “No, I’m not dating Momo.” She says, looking with round eyes at her two companions.

 

“…”

 

“…”

 

“…”

 

“Oh. Okay then. Just wondering.” Sana finally says and they break out of their weird little trance. “You guys are just always together so we all just kind of assumed. Sorry Mina-chan.”

 

Mina shrugs it off like it’s no big deal that apparently everyone in the school thinks she’s dating Hirai Momo. “No problem. We’re best friends, but we’re not keen on dating each other.” She explains with a small chuckle.

 

Tzuyu looks on quietly. “They’re both so relaxed about everything. Is this what it’s like to be a senior?”

 

Both girls’ attention is suddenly brought back to Tzuyu. Mina seems to remember something. “Oh Tzuyu, do you know Sana?” She asks, gesturing to the older girl.

 

Sana waves at her and grins brightly. 

 

Tzuyu stares at the weird senior who stares at her during band class and shakes her head. “We haven’t officially met either.”

 

“Oh alright then. Well Tzuyu, this is Minatozaki Sana. Sana, this is Chou Tzuyu.” Mina takes it upon herself to introduce them and Sana sticks out her hand for Tzuyu to shake. Tzuyu eyes her warily, remembering what happened to Mina a few moments earlier, but to her good graces, Sana doesn’t attempt to tickle her. (She isn’t ticklish anyway; maybe Sana's picked up on that already.)

 

“Didn’t you guys just meet too?” She asks the two after safely completing a handshake with Minatozaki Sana.

 

“Yup.” They say in unison, obviously not making much of it. Tzuyu shrugs.

 

Whatever floats their boats then.

 

“So, Chaeyoung huh?” Sana nudges Mina with her shoulder and a teasing grin. “She’s pretty cute, no?”

 

Mina shrugs thoughtfully, seeming to not mind Tzuyu’s presence and position as Chaeyoung’s best friend. “It’s not like that. I guess she’s gone to this school this whole time and I haven’t really noticed.”

 

Tzuyu feels her heart ache a bit for her tiny friend at that remark.

 

Ouch. Poor Chaeng.

 

“She’s pretty cute though.” Mina continues to muse. Sana nods her head in overly-enthusiastic agreement for some reason (maybe she’s excited about her new friend and just wants to support Mina? Who knows. Maybe she knows Chaeyoung? Who knows. But possibly. Quite possibly.)

 

Tzuyu’s mood instantly turns around at that and she does internal fist pumps and flips for her friend.

 

Chingoo Chaeng, fighting!


 

Anyone else feel for lil Chaeng? I do.

 

Not much 'band band' here but this is also a high school au we'll see where this goes.

 

How has summer been for you all?