Chapter 2: The Family

The Hired Date
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It would not be an exaggeration on anyone's part if they had been asked to describe the Park-Kim pre-wedding party as over the top and ostentatious to a fault. Anyone would be hard-pressed not to.

It was quite obvious from the abundance of colorful flowers; silver gilding and tinsel on the chairs and marble columns; the cascade of fairy lights from the hall's ceiling on to the floor; the liveried waiters and waitresses circulating the floor with finger foods and light bubblies; the lavish spread of food and the impressive three foot champagne fountain that was set on its own dais at the center of the room, that Kim Myung Jun's parents had spared no cost in order to celebrate their only child's impending nuptials to the man of his dreams.

Eunwoo whistled under his breath, eyes raking over the obvious display of wealth within the room; not completely oblivious to the fact that he was getting a lot of interested stares from the rich guests as well. Some, if not all of which, Eunwoo thought could be potential business  contacts - thirsty and neglected partners of powerful CEO's or politicians;  the bored socialites looking for some excitement; the lonely divorcees with money to burn from their settlements.

He gave them a smile; confident and self-assured as he made mental notes on who he might approach subtly tonight, that is if he could manage to pacify the man fidgeting nervously at his side. Bin's hands had been busy, not at pawing over his date (which made Eunwoo frown at the thought), but on tugging at his own clothes and brushing off imaginary lint. If he wasn't doing that, he would shift his weight from one foot to the other while he craned his neck at the lavishly dressed crowd, obviously looking for someone.

In the course of his career as an (well, if one could actually call what he does a career), Eunwoo had learned to shelve feelings of inadequacy aside when his date's attention seemed to be waning. He told himself that it had nothing to do with what could be lacking from him, rather that most of the people he dealt with were usually trying to get over some sort of heartache from their past. Bin was clearly trying to spot this Park Minhyuk character and despite his training and experiences, Eunwoo started to feel what he recognized as slight pangs of jealousy. He'd seen his picture; verbally agreed that this Minhyuk was indeed good-looking; and now he was curious to meet the man in person to see what it was that made him so unforgettable to Bin.

"Hey, are you okay?" He must have asked the same question five times since they stepped out of their shared suite - a benefit, Eunwoo assumed, was from being related to the groom-to-be.

And same as the first four times he asked, Bin replied with a noncommittal shrug, brushing off more non-existent lint from his dark gray jacket. "I'm good. I think." He seemed to mull over something before looked up to meet Eunwoo's eyes. "How do I look?"

Breathtaking, Eunwoo wanted to say. It was at the tip of his tongue, except his own sense of propriety kept him from blurting it out. Part of being the kind of that clients keep coming back to was knowing how to temper his compliments so that he didn't sound like he was laying it on too thick, coming off like he was patronizing them instead of being sincere.

"You look good." He settled on saying, smiling at his date.

"Good as in really good or just passable good?" Bin tugged at his jacket lapels nervously. "I feel like I'm underdressed. I mean look at all these people."

True. For what was supposed to be a casual prenuptial dinner for the family's closest friends, most of the guests appeared to be dressed as if they were going to a star-studded event. And speaking of stars, Eunwoo had spotted some familiar entertainers among those invited. It shouldn't be altogether unusual. Beautiful people had always mixed with the rich and influential. And from Bin's rather vague description of Myung Jun's adoptive parents, they had also been quite the pair when they were still active in the music industry.

Eunwoo stepped in front of him, effectively blocking Bin's view of the room. 

"Look at me." 

He clasped his companion by the tops of his arms, giving himself but a moment to quietly appraise the firmness of the muscles hidden within that jacket or the fact that Bin had the warmest, coffee-brown eyes as he stared up at him. Instead, he summoned all the sincerity in his body and poured it out into the next words he says. 

"You are young. Successful. You're a self-made man who built a name and a business for himself without needing a prestigious family name to help you. All of that, plus the fact that you seem to be one of the kindest people here makes you also the most attractive. Stop selling yourself short." Bin blinked at him, mouth hanging open in that adorably dumbfounded way that Eunwoo was maybe... quite possibly... starting to grow slightly fond of. 

Possibly.

Slightly.

"I - Okay?"

"Now, let's enjoy the party." 

Eunwoo offered his right arm which Bin gratefully took, feeling markedly better and more sure of himself. He was beginning to appreciate the kind of service escorts like Eunwoo provided. And it no longer boggles the mind why men like him could charge exorbitant amounts of money for the pleasure of their company. They weren't just arm candy. They were the complete package - a friend, a therapist, a councilor, a boyfriend, a lover - anything their client so desires. In the short span of time they'd been together, the other male had somehow put Bin at ease enough to ask about his opinion on things.

Bin snuck a look at the man leading him around, wishing he could find it in himself to exude the same aura of confidence that seems to come so effortlessly to Eunwoo. People were looking at them critically as they made their way into the center of the room; appraising their value through their appearance. Eunwoo ignored them, nose tilted up in that haughty way that made it seem as if he had always belonged. Bin ought to be used to this by now. He and Sanha grew in the thick of it having been unofficially adopted into Myung Jun's illustrious family for years. But the feeling of being watched; of being judged as less simply because he hadn't been born into money, and worse lived most of his life as an orphan; was something he had never gotten over. 

"I was thinking," Bin muttered, eyes flitting around the room, still looking for that face from his past. "We should get our stories straight about how we met."

"How about this," Eunwoo started, forehead wrinkling in thought. "I was your therapist in the city and..."

"No."

"There's really nothing wrong about talking to a professional if -"

Bin rolled his eyes. "No! I'm not going to tell my family I've been getting therapy." They were already aware of how much Minhyuk had hurt him there's was no way for him to recover than to move away. He didn't want them to think that he had needed professional help to get over his broken heart. "You were my client. The company you worked for needed to develop a commercial for a service you're doing and-"

Eunwoo threw his head back and laughed. "I hardly think the company I work for need advertising. I mean the clientele would  freak if -" 

"Oh my god! There he is! My prodigal son is home!"  

A loud shriek echoed through the entire ballroom turning heads in the general direction of the voice. The six piece band playing mood music also stopped, the female vocalist's mouth open over the microphone to watch the unfolding spectacle. A diminutive figure of a man dressed in a baby pink suit jacket and gray silk pants barreled straight at them, tearing Bin from Eunwoo's arm in a cloud of perfume. The man launched himself on to Bin's arms, clinging to his chest with his legs and feet crossed around his thighs with all the vigor and likeness of an overzealous giant panda...in pink.

"Hi, Myung Jun-hyung." Bin mumbled, struggling to stay upright while holding on to the man who pounced on him lest he slip and fall on his nonexistent bum. Not that he would even be embarrassed if he did.

Myung Jun, as it were, swung his head upward and smiled goofily, ignoring the scene that he was creating by attempting to make Bin out as a tree. "You came, Binnie-yah!"

"I...of course, I did." Bin huffed, managing to grab on to the tops of Myung Jun's thighs to hoist him up higher. "It's not like I had a choice." He threw Eunwoo a look of apology over his panda-hyung's shoulders having been unable to warn him beforehand of how impossibly boisterous his future brother-in-law could be. His date was trying his damnest to hide his laughter with a fist over his mouth.

"You make it sound as if I forced you to come here." Myung Jun grumbled, pursing his lips into that supposedly endearing, but more often than not, annoying duck face he'd always use whenever he wanted to guilt any of them into something. 

"Well, didn't you... by saying you'd sicc your lawyers at me?"

Myung Jun stuck his tongue out, still completely oblivious to how the other guests perceived their exchange in the middle of the ballroom floor. Because really, why would he care what they thought? They were there at his behest. "You've ignored and excused your way out of invitations to come back to us for so long I had to finally put my foot down."

Bin had the decency to at least appear ashamed. He gave his hyung a sideways grin. "Well, I'm here now."

"That you are!" Myung Jun thumped his human carrier by the shoulders happily. "Welcome home, Binnie!"

"Hey! Hey! What do you think you're trying to do, huh?"

Myung Jun hopped down, rolling his eyes at his fiance's lame attempt at jealousy. He was brushing out the creases his legs and arms caused on Bin's clothes when Jinwoo materialized beside him looking nothing like that scruffy 18 year-old of years ago, who barely had enough to feed himself let alone the two kids he took as his wards. He was dressed in a dark blue suit with a casual white t-shirt underneath - one of those insanely expensive ensembles that were meant to look casual but actually cost more than an average family's groceries for three months. 

During the first few years of Jinwoo and Myung Jun's relationship, the latter had taken it upon himself to supply the boys with the things their older brother couldn't. Jinwoo was busy most of the time; studying and working to support himself and his wards. Myung Jun had taken on the role of the mother figure in the relationship. He provided them with clothing, with moral support; cooked their meals,  tutored them in school and nursed them back to health when they were sick. Bin and Sanha were able to get a semblance of a nomal childhood because of him, but they had always felt slightly uncomfortable with how free Myung Jun was with his money especially since they didn't have any. 

In those days, Jinwoo's pride often took a beating. He had just turned 18 and had been terribly unprepared  to take responsibility for Bin and Sanha's upbringing. He accepted their wardship, not realizing what it really entailed, but more with the desire to keep them all together. To fulfill his promise once he came of legal age that he wasn't leaving them in foster care. Myung Jun and his parents were the ones who stepped in willingly and gave him the support he needed, effectively adopting him as well as his siblings into the fold.

Jinwoo struggled with the idea at first; wanting to raise his own brothers independently and not wanting to take advantage of Myung Jun's kindness or his family's resources. He had always been the sensible, reliable big brother - their provider and protector. He had been since the day he rescued a then eight year-old Bin from being pummeled faceless by the orphanage bullies because he defended then five year old Sanha. He wanted to be a good role model for them. And yet, circumstances had forced him to accept Myung Jun's help for the sake of his brothers.

Bin knew. Even in his youth, he knew what it took out of Jinwoo to allow people into his life and have them make decisions for him. It didn't help that people close to myung Jun's family had whispered and gossiped about him; assuming that he was some kind of gold-digger. And that was why he worked. He studied. He pushed himself until there could be no doubt that he truly earned everything that he got now. 

It was good too see a different Jinjin now.  His hyung had outgrown that awkwardness; that perpetual chip on the shoulder and has fully adapted into his role as a business mogul and soon-to-be-husband. He was one of them now. One of the powerful. The successful. 

And, he was loved.

Bin's heart warmed at the sight of his older brother's smile; genuine and blinding. He couldn't think of anyone else in the world who ought to be this happy. He went into Jinwoo's outstretched arms, burying his nose on the side of his neck like he had done so many times as a child. He had to stoop down somewhat now having grown nearly a head taller than his brother, but he still felt that familiar sense of security and safety only his Jinwoo-hyung could provide.

"Welcome home, kid." Jinwoo's voice was muffled by Bin's broad shoulders and yet the pats on his back had been solid and reassuring.

"Thanks, hyung." Bin drew away, giving the older male a once-over. "You look good."

"Of course, he does. I take good care of him." Myung Jun proudly interjected, lacing arms with his fiance.

After sacrificing a good part of his own youth taking care of two boys, Jinwoo deserved to be the one looked after now. And although, Kim Myung Jun might be a bit too much at times; overly enthusiastic and flamboyant, a human emotional rollercoaster; Bin couldn't think of anyone else more perfect for his Jinjin-hyung. They've been through so much together. It only made sense they'd be together forever.

"You don't look half-bad yourself." Jinwoo replied. "I'm glad Seoul's treating you well."

"More than well, actually." Myung Jun spied Bin's date, lips quirking into a teasing grin. A wayward hand reached out and grabbed at Eunwoo's hand, even as he openly stared at the newcomer appreciatively. "Hello there, handsome. I'm Myung Jun. The bridest with the mostest. Who you?"

Eunwoo, already used to the obvious flirting, beamed back; charm switch turned all the way up he was practically scorching. "Cha Eunwoo. Hello to you too, beautiful." He dutifully bent down to place a peck on the back of the other male's hand.

At that, Myung Jun threw his head back and laughed in that musical, delighted way that was akin to tinkling bells. His I-got-my-flirt-on laugh. Jinwoo was observing the entire exchange with amusement, already used to how his future husband gets with attractive strangers. His eyes though, more often than not, glanced back at his own brother, gauging his reaction. 

"Park Jinwoo. The husbandest of the bestest." Jinwoo tacked in playfully mimicking his fiance before he shook hands with their guest. He didn't bother hiding how much he adored the man beside him.

"Nice to meet you."

"Where did you find this gorgeousness, Binnie?" Myung Jun at his lips, eyebrows raised questioningly at Bin's direction.

"Well, I... See, we -" Bin stammered. He and Eunwoo had thrown ideas at each to explain their relationship but they haven't actually reached an agreement with what story to go with or finnagled with the fine details.

"I found him actually." Eunwoo supplied the information helpfully, winking impishly in Bin's direction. "I work for an advertising company and we needed someone to conceptualize a commercial for us."

"Ah. How long have you two been seeing each other?"

Eunwoo eyes flickered to his supposed boyfriend's face hoping to see some indication of how to answer Myung Jun's question but saw nothing but panic on Bin's face. He assumed it was up to him to get creative. "Going on three months now. He asked me out."

"Really, now? You must be something really special. Bin doesn't usually ask people out. Not that he had high standards to begin with what with the last - but anyway... So what was it that attracted you to my brother-in-law?" 

"Hyung!" Bin shrieked, completely mortified at where the conversation was going. Not even 12 hours had passed since he met Eunwoo personally and the questions that were being thrown at him were just embarrassing. He was kicking himself internally, wishing that instead of being a wreck on the plane on the way to Jeju, he and Eunwoo had hashed out the deatils of their fake relationship.

"What? I'm not allowed to be curious about the man who finally got you out of your nunnish rut?" Myung Jun frowned petulantly at Bin before turning back to speak to Eunwoo. "You don't mind, do you?"

"I have to admit I'm a bit curious as well." Jinwoo piped up. "Bin hasn't... well, he's been too busy for a relationship I guess."

Jinwoo hadn't been completely wrong. But he wasn't completely right as well. The two brothers shared a look and Bin figured Jinwoo knew the real reason why he hadn't had much of a social life. Well, he still didn't really. After all, his date for the event  was only there for show. Jinwoo must be somewhat shocked and quite possibly even relieved that his younger brother seemed to have moved on from his past.

Eunwoo shrugged, still composed despite the semi-third degree. "Look at him. Would you say no if he asked you out?"

Bin's jaw dropped. The guy was smooth, that much was evident.

"If you put it that way..."

"My god, MJ-hyung. Stop scaring the dude." Another body joined their group, squeezing himself in between the couple and their new guest "What does it matter how they met or what attracted them to each other? The point is, they did. Hey, there! I'm Sanha. Welcome to Jeju."

Eunwoo was surprised to find the new arrival to be a few inches taller than he was with a face that still bore signs of youthful mischieviousness. So, this must be Bin's real younger brother. The musician in the family whom his date had been gushing about proudly. He could see some shared resemblance. "Thanks. I'm Eunwoo."

"Sanha?" Bin gawked, utterly amazed at his baby brother's appearance. 

"Don't look too surprised, Bin-hyung." A chuckle.

When he left, Sanha was in his last year of high school. Lanky and tall with coke-bottle thick glasses and braces, he walked with a perpetual stoop hiding his face most of the time beneath a fringe that hung too long for school regulations. Sanha had been a quiet, ungainly teen then with long limbs and legs he had no idea what to do with. 

Now, he was standing tall dressed in a fashion nearly similar to what Jinwoo was wearing except his suit was in a deep plum color it appeared black in the absence of bright light. The oily fringe that hid most of his face in his youth was cut stylishly and brushed to the side, revealing his smooth forehead and naturally thick brows. The chunky braces were gone and Sanha was able to display perfectly aligned teeth as he smiled openly. He filled out too; no longer stick-thin and boney; his baby brother grew muscles in all the right places. And his face. Time had softened the hurt caused by over-privileged school bullies and refined Sanha's facial features into those of a true beauty.

"You... Wow." Bin gushed, drawing his kid brother into his arms. "You look so...wow."

"Thank you, hyung." Sanha blinked cutely, androgynous face glowing under his older brother's scrutiny.

Bin cupped his brother's soft cheek. He truly has become stunning. "No glasses anymore? Contacts?"

Sanha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter