002

Never Ever

 

Junior Year, 20XX

 

 

“The school year’s almost ending,” Jinyoung stated as he joined his friends at the cafeteria.

“Rina’s off to hiding in her room again.” Jackson mused; the girl just sent him a look.

“This summer’s going to be different, abeoji’s going to assign me on the field, it’s going to be exciting.”

“She’s probably the only girl I know who likes being assigned to a ranch.” Jaebum grinned at her.

“A ranch?” Mark echoed as he placed a bag of snacks on the table.

“Yeah, you? Are you flying home?” She asked him as she pushed the bags of chips to him.

“I’m not sure.” Mark said as he opened the chips and pushed it back to her.

“He’s probably staying for Bona.” Jinyoung chuckled.

“Are you two seriously going out?” Jaebum asked.

“I don’t know yet, nai nai tells me to take her out and be nice to her, since she refers to me as firstborn, I might as well get married early.” Mark shook his head, Rina grinned and playfully punched his stomach.

“Does that mean we get to be in-laws?”

“You’re stuck with me for life if that happens, R.”

“Good luck to me.”

 

 

Rina stepped in the house and took off her sneakers, she could hear her parents talking in the living room, and she tossed her bag on the coffee table and made her way to them.

“How was school?”

“It just ended, my friends are coming over later~”

“Ah, the guys? You can bring them later at your grandparents’.” Her mother spoke.

“Why?” She sighed, she had plans to just stay home the whole afternoon.

“It’s your aunt’s birthday.”

She shook her head.

“Why do we have to celebrate that? She’s not a kid anymore.” She pointed out.

Her father just grinned and stood up, he made his way to the stairs.

“What are we celebrating? Her failed marriage?” She snorted; her mother sent her a look.

“Be nice, Lee Rina.”

“Besides, Mark’s going to be there too, Bona invited him.”

She grinned.

“Of course she will.”

 

 

“Unnie,” Bona grinned just as Rina stepped in the house, she was dressed in navy blue mini dress and a pair of leather Vans sneakers, her get up contrasted the rest of the family, all were dressed in red and gold, paying tribute to their Chinese grandmother.

“You’re happy, I think I know why.” Rina grinned as she looped arms with the younger girl.

“He’s here too.” Bona chuckled.

“I know, he texted me. I even have Jackson in tow.” She glanced behind her, Jackson was already chatting with some of the Lee elders.

“Will I be really hearing the engagement news soon? The elders seem very adamant about this.” Rina chuckled, Bona sighed dreamily.

“He’s perfect, unnie.”

“Uhhh..? Okay.” Rina shuddered, her cousin chuckled.

“Unnie!” Bona whined.

“Arasso, I get it. Now let go so I can greet the elders.”

 

 

“How are you doing?”

Rina looked up as her grandfather walked up to her.

“Halbae,” She smiled before hugging him.

“I was waiting for you to arrive,” He said as Rina took his hand in hers.

“School’s fine, halbae. I’ve been visiting the ranch too, just as you suggested.” She nodded at him.

“Good, good.” He nodded, Rina smiled, unlike all her cousins who were all cared of the moody and stoic elder, she was close to him. He was probably the only person who understood her in her father’s side of the family.

“But, I heard your nurse said you aren’t taking your medication.” She said, the elder eyed her warily.

“You don’t scare me at all, old man.” She chuckled.

“I don’t need them, I’m okay now.”

“You need them, halbae. Just take them, okay? What will happen to me if you get sick again?” She pouted at him.

“Then, no one will be there to force you to visit the farm.” He teased.

“That’s not funny. Do you want me to cry?” She eyed him. The elder chuckled and just patted her hand.

“Just go and get food, stop nagging me.”

“If I don’t, no one will.” She pointed out before walking towards the table laden with food.

 

 

 

Rina set her utensils down; she was seated next to Bona’s older brother, Minhyuk.

“How’s school for you?” She asked him, Minhyuk and her were the same age and got along really well.

“Hellish.”

She grinned, Minhyuk was probably the coolest cousin she had in her father’s side, but he gets really stressed because of his father. He has been forcing Minhyuk to be an accountant while what her cousin really wanted was to be a pilot.

“Yeah, but I heard your grades are above average.” She grinned at him, Minyuk just rolled his eyes. Jackson plopped down beside him.

“Whoa, your uncle is in one of his moods again.” Jackson stated, they both followed his gaze; their youngest uncle had his brows furrowed as he looked at the helpers clean up the table.

“Nothing new there, he still has the worst personality.” Minhyuk shook his head, Rina just chuckled and then she stood up and slowly approached the patio doors.

 

 

Rina eyed her aunt as she made her way towards the sliding doors, she always respected her father’s siblings, but she could never understand her aunt. Her aunt got married to her boyfriend after dating for only seven months, and seventeen years later, her marriage was falling apart. But what infuriated her was that, her aunt already knew that he had already fathered three children from different women and yet she refuses to leave him.

“How could someone be so…stupid?” She muttered under her breath.

And also, her husband had been swindling some of the family’s friends and has been trying to use his connection to the Lees as leverage.

Rina made her way to the garden and plopped down on the floor of the small wooden bridge that connected the lawn to her grandmother’s orchid garden.

“Wow that must have tired you out.”

She looked up, Mark was grinning as he walked to her.

“Well, you’re in red.” She mused at him as he sat down beside her, letting his feet dangle over the water.

“Bona told me to wear them, I guess you didn’t get the memo, miss Lee.”

“I don’t follow memos.” She rolled her eyes at him.

“So are you really serious about Bona?” She asked him, Mark paused.

“Just don’t hurt her feelings okay? She’s a sweet girl; I’m actually rooting for you guys.” She winked at him.

Mark snorted.

“Why are you out here, R?” Mark asked.

“I…I always did feel I don’t fit in, remember?” She gave him a small smile.

Well look at what you’re wearing, dark colors.” Mark teased.

“I just….I mean, look at me, Tuan. Bleached hair, full makeup on, my Mandarin is weak and I’m too rough compared to my cousins.”

Mark smiled and just shook off his coat and placed it on top of her exposed legs.

“I’m sorry, I can’t relate, I already accepted you the way you are, weirdo.” Mark replied, she balked at him.

“Heol, aren’t you such a sweetheart?” She gagged, and then she felt someone plop beside her that caused the bridge to shake violently.

 

 

“Oh my god, your aunt just attempted to feed me fried crickets, I swear to god my whole life just flashed before my eyes!” Jackson stated while gagging.

 

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++