Chapter 5

THE ROAD TAKEN
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Henry where's the kimchi and the lettuce! Amber, the marmalade bacon now! ” YoonA methodically puts each of the pomme dauphines she has just made into the ceramic bowls.

“Bacon, Am! Now!” Her voice surges among other noises in the busy kitchen. She wipes the rim of the small plate contains blue cheese and mushroom sauce, throwing a look at Amber who's still flipping the bacon in the pan.

She watches as Changwook spreads Heechul's signature gochujang mayo on the base of the brioche bun, then set the double patty he has just grilled before blanket it with a layer of cheese. Henry and Amber both come with the requested ingredients and Changwook choreographs everything into two servings of fine gourmet burgers before sliding the plates to YoonA.

YoonA cleans the edge of the plates, places the bowls of pomme dauphines then  plates the sauce. While signaling the waitress to pick the order up, she takes a good look at the dish one last time to make sure everything is perfect.

The waitress smiles as she takes away the dish. YoonA turns around on her spot,wipes her hands on the apron, then smiles too. “Last order for the night is out, guys. That's a wrap!”

All the kitchen staffs clap their hands and cheer. Some grab a bottle of water to drink. Some start to chat immediately. Amber sighs, taking off her cap then wipes her brows. Henry teases the tomboy while leaning on his station. Heechul whistles as he heads to the bathroom. Changwook grins.

“Good job, everyone! Thank you for working so hard.” The head chef leans closer to YoonA. “Thank you for being so helpful.”

“It's my duty..” YoonA shies away, accidentally seeing her reflection on one of the pans hanging above the sauce station. She's a much messier copy of Cinderella now with hair sticking out, oily face, and stains on her cheeks.

“I'm a mess.” She tries to wipe her left cheek with back of her hand.

It has been a busy night. Two weeks after Changwook first day working as Chef De Cuisine of The Seventh Sky things finally start to fall into place. He has find a way to follow the old working rhythm and get in sync with most of the staffs, making it easier for them to work as a team.

“Wonderful mess.” Changwook also checks his reflection on the pan, effectively closing the distance YoonA has created between them.

“Not as wonderful as each Kimchi eel burger we have created tonight but still, wonderful.” He casually fixes his hair while staring at her in the reflection. Their eyes meet. He smiles. Then, ever so casually, winking at ther.

YoonA freezes at the sudden gesture. She blinks a few times before looking down.

“We survive another busy night, people. Congratulation!” Heechul yells, somehow wedging himself between YoonA and Chang Wook. “Manager said we receive many compliments tonight.”

“For the eel burger?” Changwook looks at him expectantly.

“Yes. Another great invention, applause for YoonA!” Heechul doesn't even bother to look at the man, excitedly smiles at YoonA instead.

“We create the new menu together, oppa.” YoonA smiles too. “You, as usual, comes up with a brilliant use of ingredients for the sauce. Amber and Henry make sure the meat and the veggies are perfect, and it's actually Chef Ji-”

“Yoongie. You promised not to call me Chef Ji.” Changwook walks around Heechul to get to YoonA's side. With a grin and a wink the man casually draping his arm around YoonA's shoulder. “Just like I promised not to call you Chef Im.”

YoonA nearly has a heart attack at the sudden closeness. She dares not to look up at Heechul, knowing that the man won't like Changwook's move. The corner of her eyes catch the saucier frowns. This won't end good if she doesn't step up.

“I don't-” YoonA tries to say something but has to stop as Changwook turns around and claps his hands loudly.

“Five minutes break before we clean up, guys. YoonA and I will prepare dinner to celebrate!” The Chef throws a look over his shoulder at YoonA and grinning.

The staffs cheer again, scramble to do whatever they like. Heechul opens his mouth to say something to YoonA but Changwook tugs at her hand and whisks her away to the front of the walk-in-chiller.

“We need to cook something wonderful for the staffs tonight.” He opens the chiller, pushing YoonA in. “Meat or seafood?”

YoonA throws a look over Changwook's shoulder, clearly seeing the annoyed look in Heechul's eyes. “You need to stop.”

“What?”

“You know what I meant.”

“What?” Changwook gets into the chiller and starts picking ingredients from the many shelves, faking innocence.

YoonA sighs, she doesn't know how to put it in words either. Heechul would interrupt whenever he sees YoonA gets close to Changwook. On the other hand Changwook seems to enjoy playing with Heechul's feeling every time. Seems like there's a tug of war between Changwook and Heechul and YoonA is stuck in the middle.

“Sorry.” Changwook grins as he weighs one pumpkin in each hand. “I know what you meant. It's just Heechul is so uptight and he acts extra annoying whenever I come close to you. You don't mind I come close to you, right?”

“No.” She answers after a while, taking a basket and hands it to Changwook so he can put one of the the pumpkins in. “We're coworkers anyway. Will seafood and pumpkin curry be okay at this hour?”

“We're a die hard team. We can stomach curry any time.” Changwook adds lemongrass, packet of curry paste, and coconut cream into the basket. “Between you and Heechul, nothing's going on right?”

“No.” YoonA starts taking out prawns and squids from seafood box.

“Then he has no right acting all protective whenever I talk to you. Get some bok choy too.”

YoonA picks the freshest bok choy from one of the shelves. “He probably thinks of me as his little sister, that's why he gets so pesky sometimes.”

“Sister?” Chanwook rolls his eyes. “Of course.”

“Just don't make it all awkward at work, please.” YoonA begs from her heart. She doesn't want any disruption in the kitchen. “Heechul is a senior in this dining, he deserves some respects.”

“Fine.” Chang Wook puts fresh limes into the basket. “I'll behave around him if you agree to have lunch with me on Monday.”

YoonA glares, inwardly wondering why most of the men around her are so persuasive. “I can't.”

“You can't or you won't?”

“I have something else to do.”

“Hmmmmm.”

“What's that grin for?”

“Does that something involving Heechul? Are you guys in some kind of illicit but platonic relatioship that you're too embarassed to acknowledge?”

“Changwook!”

“Explain then.”

“Every first Monday of the month she has a charity stuff going on.” Heechul, who's standing by the door in silence since a few seconds ago, explains it dismissively. “I know this spacious chiller gives romantic vibes and all but are you lovebirds gonna cook us dinner or should we just get pizza instead?”

“We'll be cooking right away.” Changwook, for the second time that night, breaches into YoonA's personal space and puts his arm around her shoulder.

Heechul just rises his eyebrows. “YoonA hates it when men do that. Be cool and she'll after you like a dog does a bone.”

After the initial seconds of freezing on her spot, YoonA shrugs Changwook hand away. Torn between glaring at Heechul or Changwookk, YoonA feels helpless. Men are trouble, she knows that by experience. But tonight, she feels like stabbing the two annoying guys in the eyes with fork.

“I'll start preparing.” She grabs the basket from Changwook, walking pass Heechul who just shrugs.

She close the lid of the last container, humming old nursery rhyme as she does. Burgers, bread puddings, and juices boxes are all ready in each container. She hauls one container out of the door, nearly bumps into one tall man entering the kitchen.

“Hi!” The charming smile, the lively eyes, Ji Changwook.

“Oh, hi.” YoonA tries to move pass the man who doesn't even budge.

“Need help?”

“No.” YoonA squares up her shoulders, the container is quite heavy. “Just let me through please.”

“Okay.” Changwook moves, giving space not even a squirrel can fit.

“Changwook, please.”

“I thought you don't need help.”

YoonA pouts, pushing through in strong steps, using the container to shield her body from making contact with Changwook's body.

“Whoaa.” The man nearly trips over his own feet as he finally moves away. “Where do a skinny girl like you gets such strength?”

“From being annoyed far too often?” YoonA walks as fast as she can with the container in hands. The rented double-cabin is waiting outside the dining and she hauls the container to the back of it with extra effort.

She usually has one of the staffs helping, but not today. They have worked so hard for the past two weeks she doesn't have the heart to ask anyone's help on the treasured day off.

“How can someone be so cute and fierce at the same time?” Chang

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter