Chapter 4

THE ROAD TAKEN
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

YoonA sighs, watching the 400 cc of water boils in the pot. On day like this, a little indulging won't hurt. She opens the cabinet above the kitchen sink, picking her favorite from the not-so-secret stash of instant ramyeons the kitchen staffs shared.

It's five minutes past seven, almost two hours too early from the scheduled meeting with the new chef. YoonA has nothing better to do than coming the dining though. Staying at home keeps her mind lingers on the past.

She opens the fridge, getting pok choy and cabbage, alsograb prawns and squids from the frozen  storageat the back of the spacious kitchen. Cleaning then chopping the vegetables and protein sources nicely, she puts them into the boiling water. When she opens the package of Paldo Jjamppong Seafood Noodle King Bowl, someone comes into the kitchen.

“Hi.” Ji Chang Wook, in a long-sleeved blue shirt and an awkward smile comes to her field of view.

“Hi.” YooNa smiles too, stirring the mixture in the pot.

“Upgraded instant ramyeon. A royal dish.”

YoonA's smile widens at the remark, adding the seasoning packets then slipping the ramyeon gently into the water. “Want some?”

“If you don't mind.”

“Help adding some hot water, please.” YoonA asks as she takes another package of ramyeon and repeats the steps she just took.

Chang Wook adds a cup of hot water quietly while YoonA takes eggs and spring onion from the fridge.

As YoonA chops the onion, Chang Wook pulls the noodles from the broth and put it on a plate, fanning them with the pot lid.

“What are you doing?”

“It will keep the noodles al dente while the veggie and seafood absorbs the broth.”

“Oh. New York style ramyeon?”

“Chang Wook's style ramyeon.”

YoonA smiles again, dropping the chopped spring onion into the pot. Chang Wook puts the noodles back in less than a minute later, stirring the dish, cracking two eggs over the the noodles, then cover the pot.

“Smells delicious.” He makes a comment, leaning on the counter and takes a whiff. “Why are you here so early?”

YoonA briefly looks down, formulating a lie. “I had an errand in this neighborhood and finished early.”

“I see.” Chang Wook turns off the stove, opening the lid of the pot as he bring it to the table where the staffs usually eat. “Look delicious too.”

YoonA brings a bowl, two sets of chopsticks, and two spoon to the table. Chang Wook pours half of the dish to the bowl, carefully so as not to break the egg.

“I'm taking the pot.” YoonA declares as she takes two bottles of mineral water from the shelf.

“Shouldn't the gentleman let the lady has the bowl?”

“Nope.” Taking a seat on the opposite side of the table, she reaches for the pot. “This lady eats ramyeon in a pot.”

Chang Wook grins, sitting down and takes the chopsticks. “Let's eat.”

“I'll eat well.” YoonA smiles, taking her first sip of the broth before eating the noodle. “Truly Al dente, Chef Ji. Thumbs up.”

“The broth and the seafood are perfect too, Chef Im.”

“Please call me YoonA.”

“Only if you call me Chang Wook.”

“But you-”

“No but.”

They stare at each other for a moment. A moment long enough for YoonA to let her guard down and observe how attractive the man in front of her is. He smiles and YoonA has to look down to avert those twinkling eyes. Something about Chang Wook tells her that he's a warm kind of man but she refuses to fall for it.

“Fine.” She tries to focus back on the steaming ramyeon in the pot. “Thank you for showing me how to cook perfect ramyeon, Chang Wook-ssi.”

He laughs. “I can't just force you to call me oppa, can I?”

“You are my boss.”

“I'd rather have you, and the rest of the kitchen staffs, think of me as a friend.”

“You know that won't work right? Chef De Cuisine is supposed to set his foot firm on the ground since day one, the rest of the staffs might acting up otherwise.” YoonA feigns seriousness as she slurps the delicious noodle in. The first day she worked at The Seventh Sky, she was bullied beyond belief by the staffs, especially Heechul. On the second day, she could see how much they resemble a family instead of a simple kitchen brigade.

“One minute in this kitchen and I could see how you and the others are more than just a bunch of people working together. Tittle like Sous Chef, Saucier, and Apprentice are only labels for you guys. You work as one body in a fun way.” Chang Wook smiles again. “I'm hoping I can be a part of the family too, YoonA. Where I last worked, everything felt so strict, so machine-like.”

From Chang Wook's remark, their conversation starts to flow. The new chef doesn't hesitate on sharing his previous experience working in the kitchen. YoonA listens to his every word, paying attention more than she should. She feels something tugs at her heart whenever her eyes meet his and she hates it.

She hates the feeling of falling for someone. Afraid that she will fall into the same mistake like she did eight years ago.

But Chang Wook is a good companion. He listens well and when he talks, he talks like a story-teller. His eyes twinkle when he tells her about his passions and in turns, YoonA easily tells him every little thing about The Seventh Sky too. The ramyeon slowly disappears into her stomach, while the initial awkwardness and reservation also go out of the window. Right when Chang Wook starts to ask her personal question like where she lives and such, the manager of the dining and other staffs start to filter into the kitchen.

“You like him, don't you?”

“Oppaaa.” YoonA pushes Heechul away as they walk for the parking lot.

“Sharing intimate conversation over ramyeon. The YoonA I know would have killed herself first.”

“What intimate conversation? We talked about work. And what do you know about it? You came an hour late to the meeting!”

“Oh I have my trustworthy source.” Heechul grins.

“Tell Amber to shut up.” YoonA pushes Heechul again. The man stumbles but immediately retaliates. He pushes YoonA hard the girl nearly fall to the bushes.

“Yah!”

“Not every gossip comes from Amber, YoonA-yah.” Heechul laughs. “Sometimes, your eyes speak louder than your closed-personality supposed to allow. You ogled him like mad all over the meeting.”

“I did not.” YoonA dusts her skirt and tightens her coat, then keep on walking for she knows Heechul won't back down. This is his favorite activity anyway, teasing her.

Heechul quickly catches up with YoonA's long strides, ruffling the girl's hair from behind.

“Yah! Oppa!”

“Be careful, Yoong. God knows how many heart will break for you..”

"Stop teasing me, oppa." YoonA sighs,knowing exactly where the conversation goes.

“What? The list is long. Kyungsoo, how could you break his tiny fragile heart? And that new waitress? The guy that sells us wine with special discount? Me?” Heechul messes YoonA's hair once more despite her protest. “You can't just go around being charming and all, expecting people won't get mad at you when you actually fall in love.”

“I. Am. Not. Falling. In. Love.”

"Really?"Heechul opens the door to his car.

"Really."

"Good. You got a ride then."

“I'm...uh...” YoonA doesn't feel like riding the same car with Heechul tonight, afraid that he will tease and prod further. “I have a plan, oppa. I'm sorry.”

“Really? Where? I'll drive you there.”

“It's okay. I'll just take the bus.”

“It's already late.” Heechul glances at his wristwatch. “It's not safe.”

Heechul always uses the same reason to make YoonA gets into her car. While she always appreciates his kindness, knowing the ulterior motive makes her declines his offer most of the time. Tonight is no exception. She rather takes the bus.

“Come on. I'm not taking no as answer tonight. Just ease my heart and let me drive you wherever you need to be."

"But-"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter