Exhaustion

B.E.long drabbles

 

 

Request by akamurasaki

You can’t believe how much I love your writing. I have a chenmin request where Chen faints during a concert and Xiumin sees him, gets worried and immediately goes to him and his reaction to it and can you do two POVs please.

 

Word count: 3141

 

 

 

 

 

The world was spinning.

 

The lights in the crowd were blending together. It was so bright, almost like someone was shining a light into his eyes from only centimetres away. His head ached and his eyes rolled around lazily in their sockets.

 

The croud was screaming but he could barely hear any of it, his mind focused on trying to move his body to the music. He limbs felt like lead, weighted down, gravity trying to pull him to the floor despite him trying his hardest to keep himself up on his two feet.

 

Sweat dripped down his face, cascading down in rivers like he was standing out in the rain without an umbrella or any form of cover.

 

He felt sick, his stomach making uncomfortable lurches as the contents of his stomach tried to push itself up and out, him only just managing to keep it down and inside his body.

 

He felt hot and gluggy, like he had been in a sauna for way to long and he was beginning to get heatstroke. No, he had already reached that degree.

 

The screams suddenly penetrated his brain once again and he swears that his head was going to split open as the sound was amplified. With weak fingers he pulled out his in-ears as he could no longer handle the pain.

 

He world suddenly begin to sway and his vision tunnelled, the sound around him one again fading out to nothing.

 

He was out before his body hit the stage.

 

 

~X~

 

 

It had all happened in a split second.

 

Out of the corner of his eyes Minseok saw Jongdae sway before his legs gave way and he tumbled to the stage, body unmoving once it fully connected. Without thinking his legs carried him over to the younger on the stage floor. He had been the furthest away from him but reached him first, turning Jongdae onto his side and resting his head in his lap.

 

The fans were screaming and s were around him and Jongdae, simultaneously acting as a shield from the flashes of cameras and trying to find out if their member was okay. Minseok didn’t pay any attention to that, too worried about the younger to even care about what was happening around him.

 

He moved his face close to Jongdae’s and he could feel his blood pumping through his body. He sighed in relief as he felt the others breath against his cheek, but it was irregular and strained. He could smell the strong scent of sweat, the younger being practically soaked in it.

 

To invested in Jongdae’s welfare he didn’t realise s had been trying to talk to him until he felt his shoulder being shaken, looking up to see Junmyeon staring down at him with eyes full of concern.

 

“Pick him up. We need to get him off stage and to the hospital.” Junmyeon said with urgency and Minseok didn’t hesitate. He stood up and put one of his arms under his younger legs and the other arm on his back, hoisting him up bridal style.

 

Jongdae was completely limp in his arms, his head lolling onto his collarbone and arm hanging by his side. Ignoring the flashing of cameras and the screams of fans he runs of stage with Jongdae in his arms, trying his hardest not to jostle him too much.

 

The members follow on behind him as staff members point him to the ambulance, having already been notified of the situation. They were always have one on standby at their concerts in case something like this ever happened but they hadn’t had to use it until now.

 

As he runs with the younger in his arms he can’t help but notice that Jongdae’s lighter than what he could remember. It troubled him.

 

The medics were waiting for him when he got to the ambulance. Minseok walked right past them and into the van to put Jongdae on the bed himself, taking a seat on the inbuilt bench in the back. They set to work immediately, checking the singers vital signs and trying to come up with a diagnosis before they got to the hospital.

 

Minseok felt helpless as all he could do was watch them as they worked.

 

“Hyung you ride with him, we’ll take the cars and meet you there.” Junmyeon told him, already ushering their worried members away from the ambulance.

 

“Wait, what about – “

 

“Jaewon hyung is notifying the fans of the situation so you don’t need to worry about that. Just go.” He shoos Minseok off, the door of the ambulance closing as it begin to move.

 

Minseok looked over to Jongdae and saw that he now had an oxygen mask over his face, the breath on the plastic making it apparent that his breathing wasn’t normal. He saw movement and looked over to see one of the medics insert an IV into his hand to give him some much needed fluids.

 

“What’s wrong with him?” Minseok asks the medics, voice quiet and incredibly worried.

 

“Exhaustion and fatigue most likely.” One answered. “But we won’t know for sure until we get to the hospital and have a doctor look him over.” That wasn’t good by any means but it was something that could be fixed quickly so he was relieved but he wondered what had made the younger that fatigued that he would faint and still be out and unresponsive.

 

Minseok gazed over at Jongdae and for the first time noticed the bags under his eyes and sighed, moving his hand to sweep a lock of the singers hair off of his forehead. How did he not notice something like this? That Jongdae, the person he was closest to, was struggling. Was the younger good at hiding his exhaustion or was he just not paying enough attention?

 

He didn’t have time to ponder those thoughts as they had arrived at the hospital. Minseok followed the medics as they rolled Jongdae into the hospital, not wanting to the younger out of his sight. However he’s stopped from going into Jongdae’s room by hospital staff.

 

“I’m sorry sir but you can’t go in while the doctor’s looking at the patient.” She holds her hand out to stop him.

 

“But – “ Minseok says only to be cut off.

 

“I’m sorry. You can wait over here and when the doctor’s finished we’ll send someone to notify you when it’s alright for you to visit.” She tells him and Minseok deflates, nodding in reluctant understanding and going over to take a seat on the uncomfortable, hard plastic hospital chair.

 

He leans his head back on the wall and closes his eyes. He’s tied but he doesn’t think he’ll be able to sleep any time soon, not until he knows that Jongdae’s going to be alright.

 

The hospital is quite. With it being late at night the day traffic had long since passed, leaving only the faint sounds of the machines and hushed voices from patients and doctors walking in the halls. It’s so quite that he can easily hear from the hurried footsteps that him members have arrived.

 

Minseok slides his eyes open and flicks them over to them, seeing equal looks of worry on each other their faces and he can definitely understand why. Jongdae had never gotten hurt before, never passed out during practice and definitely not during a live performance. He was one of the fitter ones out of them all, having one of the highest level of stamina among them so that made it even more scarier and worrisome.

 

“Do you know anything?” Baekhyun asks coming to take a seat next to him, Jongin taking the seat on the other side.

 

He shakes his head. “Not yet. They said someone would tell us when the doctor knows what’s wrong but no one has come out yet.”

 

“So you don’t know anything at all?” Minseok looks at Sehun who suddenly seems so much smaller than what he is.

 

“The medics in the ambulance said there’s a good chance he collapsed from exhaustion and fatigue.” He tried to smile at the youngest reassuringly but he doesn’t know how genuine it came out to look.

 

Junmyeon sighed, rubbing his eyes with his hand and pinching his nose, a sign that showed how stressed he was over Jongdae’s welfare. “All we can do now is wait until someone tells us something.” The members nodded.

 

They all settled themselves aound the hall on the chairs, on the floor and leaning against the wall. Chanyeol had tried to strike up a conversation but no one was really on the mood to try and contribute to it. Minseok had to applaud the younger for trying though, giving him a pat on the back in thanks for the effort.

 

It takes an hour before someone walks out and by the outfit that he’s wearing Minseok thinks it’s safe to assume that he’s the doctor that had checked Jongdae over. They all stand up when he comes closer, all eager for news about their brother.

 

“Friends of Kim Jongdae, I presume?” he says and they all nod. “Well I can see that you’re all worried about your friend so I’ll cut straight to the chase.” He gets out a clip board and flicks through it for a second before bringing his attention back to them. “He’s not in any life threatening danger. He passed out from exhaustion and fatigue just like what the medics had first thought. Has he been eating?” he asks them and they look a little shocked that they’re being asked a question.

 

“I – I mean, I think so? We’ve all been busy with individual schedules to I don’t really know.” Junmyeon tells him.

 

“Is something wrong?” Minseok asks but he already knows what the doctor is getting at.

 

“Well, it’s not a huge problem but it couldn’t hurt for him to put on a few kilo’s.” he says. “He’s not underweight, at least not yet but he either hasn’t been eating enough or hasn’t been eating foods with enough nutrients. His breathing has regulated itself to a normal respiration rate and we’ve got him hooked up with some fluids to keep him hydrated. ” He adds when he sees their shocked faces. Minseok had hoped he had been wrong when he thought Jongdae was lighter then what he had remembered. “We’ll run a few blood tests to figure out which one it is and to see if anything else is wrong. In the meantime you’re welcome to go and see him. Just make sure to be quiet. He’s still asleep and he definitely needs the rest. I’ll have a nurse show you to his room.” With that he walks away.

 

It doesn’t take long before they’re being led towards Jongdae room, all making sure they’re as quiet as possible as they walk into the dimly lit room. Minseok hangs back while the others rush over to Jongdae who lies prone on the bed, his arms by his side and an IV attached to the back on his left hand.

 

None of them really know what to do with themselves, most of them are just standing somewhere in the room awkwardly. There’s really nothing they can do. They’ll just have to wait for Jongdae to wake up.

 

Minseok had far too many questions. How could something like this happen? Had Jongdae really not been eating? The notion seemed almost impossible. Jongdae loved food.

 

He didn’t know how much time had passed but he could feel his eyes getting heavy, wanting to close and stay closed. Most of the members had already succumbed to sleep. Sehun was asleep against the wall, a dozing Baekhyun with his head leaned on his shoulder and Jongin’s head on his thigh. Junmyeon had given up his chair to Chanyeol while he had gone to get himself and Minseok some coffee, the rapper falling asleep nearly immediately. Yixing had gone to the toilet and seeing as he had been quite a while he figured that he had probably gotten lost. Kyungsoo was still awake though only just barely as he scrolled on his phone in an effort to try and keep his brain active.

 

Minseok had finally migrated to stand Jongdae’s side taking the only other free chair for himself. He had tried to give it to Kyungsoo but he had refused, practically pushing Minseok to sit down on it.

 

All Minseok had really been doing was staring at Jongdae as he slept. He faced looked peaceful but the dark bags ruined that image. He could still see them even though the youngers makeup was still on his face. He wanted to wipe it all off so he could see how bad it really was, knowing that even though he could see it the concealer and foundation was still making it appear lighter than it actually was.

 

His chest moved up and down as he breathed and Minseok was happy to see that it wasn’t laboured as it had been when he had first collapsed. He then looked down at the faint bruises on his arms and could picture to ones under his clothes from when he had fell to the stage. His fall wasn’t light at all. He could only imagine how much Jongdae’s body was going to hurt later on.

 

Minseok looked up when he heard the door open, Junmyeon walking in with Yixing by his side. He had to smile at the sheepish look on his face.

 

“I got lost.” He whispered and Minseok laughed quietly, thanking Junmyeon as he passed him his coffee. Minseok sipped the warm liquid and his mouth formed into a line at the bitter taste. Hospital coffee definitely wasn’t the best.

 

Minseok looked over to Kyungsoo and saw that he had finally given up, his head down and chin to his chest, phone held limply in his hand in his lap.

 

It’s just them three awake now, him, Junmyeon and Yixing. They talk quietly about anything. Yixing mentions how he’s been working on songs that might make it onto his album. Minseok knows he’ll be back off to China soon. They’re all proud of him but they all miss him when he’s gone.

 

The rustling of sheets make them all go quiet. Jongdae is beginning to stir. His head moves from side to side and his brows furrow, his lips forming into a pout. They all watch with bated breathes as his eyes finally start to blink open.

 

 

~X~

 

 

He feels like he’s floating.

 

He feels like he’s suspended in mid air, the wind gently kissing his face and tossing his hair side to side as it moved with the air.

 

He smiled.

 

The wind picks up, with it bringing muffled sounds. He frowns. The sound is familiar. It gets closer and closer and all of a sudden he has the strongest desire to see where the sounds are coming from. He turns his head from side to side, eyes still closed as he tries to pinpoint where the sounds, now words, are coming from.

 

He opens his eyes.

 

It’s too bright so he has to close them. He opens them again, this time slowly and everything comes into focus. He feels exhausted. He’s not moving but everything hurts.

 

He moans, turning his head to the side, eyes open wide when he makes eye contact with Minseok. He blinks, his lips with his tongue and scrunching his nose up at the gross feeling in his mouth.

 

“What – what happened?” he asked, voice scratchy.

 

“You collapsed.” Junmyeon answered and Jongdae swallowed, closing his eyes in an effort to ignore the gazes of his three hyungs.

 

“I’m sorry.” He apologises, voice sounding better than it had a minute ago even though his mouth, lips and throat still feel dry. “What about the concert?”

 

“You don’t need to worry about the concert Jongdae. The company has that handled. It’s you we need to worry about now.” Yixing rested a hand on his shoulder and squeezed lightly.

 

Jongdae felt guilty. The concert would have had to have been cancelled. All of those fans would have been sent home unsatisfied, all because of him.

 

“Don’t even think about blaming yourself.” Minseok says and Jongdae flicks his gaze back to him. He just can’t help it. It was his fault. “The doctor said you haven’t been getting enough nutrients.” he starts and Jongdae knows where this is going. “You’ve lost weight. Have you been…eating?” he says but Jongdae knows he wanted to ask ‘have you been starving yourself?’

 

He wants to lie, wants to tell him that they’re wrong but he knows they’re not.

 

“I – I’ve been eating. I was just on a new diet plan for the comeback.” He says.

 

“A new diet plan? But why?” Yixing sounds confused.

 

Jongdae looks at his hands in shame. “They said I needed to lose weight. Said that I was getting fat.”

 

“Getting fat!” Minseok exclaims and Jongdae is startled. Minseok is usually the one who remains calm and collected. “If you’re getting fat then pigs can fly! Getting fat?! If anything you needed to put on weight, not lose it!” Jongdae shrinks back.

 

Junmyeon sighs. “How long have you been on it?”

 

“Two months.” He says timidly. He looks over to Minseok who is practically fuming.

 

“I can’t believe none of us noticed.” Yixing frowned, looking disappointed in himself.

 

“No hyung!”

 

“He’s right. We should have noticed something.” Junmyeon agreed.

 

“Guys not. It’s not your fault!”

 

“If it’s not our fault then it’s not yours either. It’s whoever decided that this ‘diet’ was good for you in the first place. Collapsing like that from lack of food is anything but good!” Minseok continued to rage. “As soon as we get back to the company I’m going to go straight up to Lee Sooman and get this sorted. Whoever out you on this plan needs to get fired. Who knows if this person has made any mistakes like this before!”

 

Jongdae shuddered. It was terrifying to be on the bad end of Minseok’s wrath.

 

“And you better get ready Kim Jongdae. I’m going to stuff you so full of food you’re not going to be able to move!.” Minseok declared and he could see both Yixing and Junmyeon nod in affirmative.

 

His eyes begin to droop again, them getting heavy. He doesn’t know why he’s suddenly so tired.

 

“Hey, get some rest. We’ll be here when you wake up.” Minseok says to him, holding one his hands in his own. Jongdae gives it a squeeze before he drifts off.

 

He can practically already picture the members whining at Minseok, Junmyeon and Yixing that they hadn’t woken them up. He also knew that when we woke up that he was sure to be met with his favourite food.

 


This would have been up earlier but a friend paid an unexpected visit and only just left. It was nice catching up with her There's actually a funny story with her. She's a family friend so I've know her since I was younger and she's about two years older then me. When I was younger I actually hated her because I though she was really bossy and weird. But as I've gotten older I've actually grown to like her a lot. She has ADHD and is of high intelligence and as I've gotten older I guess I now understand her better or something...? It's interesting to see how your perceptions of people and others things change as you grow older, experience different things and gain a new perspective and understanding of things. I don't know it's just something that hit me today when I was talking to her and remembering what I used to think of her.

Prac is now finished and I'm both happy and sad about it at the same time. I've learnt so many new things and overall had a great time despite how stressful it was at times. Now all I'm left with is to finish my final assignments and do my exams and then I'm free until end of February next year. It's sort of scary to think that I'm already pretty much halfway through my degree.

On another note I started a drabble the other day that I've been itching to write. I've nearly finished it and can't wait to show it all to you. I wont be for another couple of weeks but it's the first time someone requested this particular thing and I was actually quite surprised that it had taken this long.

See y'all next week.