four.

Dear Happiness

“Kyungsoo, I’m leaving.” Minseok’s voice echoes oddly in the room where he stands, facing away from Kyungsoo. “I’m moving to Seoul with Luhan.”

“…I don’t understand,” Kyungsoo says, voice quiet and distant. “Why are you leaving me?”

“You’re selfish. You don’t want me to leave, but there’s nothing for me here.”

“No,” Kyungsoo shakes his head, feeling heavy. “No, that’s not right. Minseok, look at me. Don’t go. Minseok?”

“Goodbye, Kyungsoo.”

“What? No, Minseok, please—“

 

Kyungsoo awakes with a jolt as a hand is placed on his shoulder. Yixing stands over him, confusion etched onto his face.

“You okay?”

“Uh, yeah,” Kyungsoo rubs the sleep from his eyes. “How did you get back here? The store is closed.”

“Unlocked door,” Yixing shrugs.

“Oh. Well, why are you here then?”

“I’m looking for Minseok and Luhan.”

Kyungsoo hates that. Minseok and Luhan. Like they’re some sort of package deal, like you couldn’t see one without the other, like they’ve been together their whole lives when the truth is that Luhan’s only been in town for two weeks. Before then, he didn’t even know Minseok existed, and now he acts as if they’ve known each other for years.

“I don’t know where they are,” Kyungsoo says curtly.

“I checked in all the usual places. I was thinking…” Yixing pauses carefully. “Maybe Minseok took him somewhere you two usually go. You know. To show him around.”

“The field. He’s probably at the old barn.”

“Come with me?”

Kyungsoo shakes his head. Why would he willingly torture himself by seeing Minseok and Luhan together in the place that belonged to him and Minseok? He’d rather drop dead.

“I still have to…log all the sales.”

“Don’t lie to me. They’re all finished.”

Kyungsoo sighs. He knows Yixing won’t stop until he’s forced him to agree, and he’s too tired to fight it.

“Fine. Let me get my keys.”

 

 

 

 

 

Luhan is Yixing’s childhood friend from when he used to live in the city. They hadn’t seen each other in awhile, and Luhan decided to venture to the countryside for the first time in his life to visit. He immediately hit it off with Minseok, and they had spent every day together ever since.

“I still can’t believe you’re so well-traveled. I mean, how do you do it?”

“I took advantage of the advantages I was born with,” Luhan jokes. “Have you ever traveled?”

“No,” Minseok flushes, looking down. “I’ve lived here my whole life.”

“You should come with me,” Luhan says earnestly. “We could travel together. I can take you to all of my favorite places.”

“Are you serious? That sounds amazing,” Minseok says. “I wish I could.”

“No reason why you can’t.”

“It’s not that simple, Luhan,” Minseok sighs.

“It could be.”

Minseok looks up, surprised to see Luhan staring so intently at him. His heart stutters for a beat as he looks into his eyes, feeling heat crawling up his cheeks.

“Why are you doing this?”

“I like you,” Luhan says honestly. “And I want to spend more time with you. What better way to grow closer to someone than by traveling the world together? Minseok, you’re an adult. You can make your own choices, right?” He smiles softly, grabbing his hand. “You can leave. What’s keeping you here?”

Minseok’s phone buzzes, and he glances at the screen. It’s Kyungsoo.

“I…I don’t know,” he admits, not sure if that’s the truth.

“Think it over? I’ll see you tomorrow,” Luhan winks, hugging Minseok before grabbing his bag. He’s out the door before Minseok can say anything else, leaving him more uncertain of his place than ever.

 

 

 

 

“He’s crazy, Minseok.” Kyungsoo says simply.

“What? He is not crazy,” Minseok frowns.

“Think about it. The guy hangs out with you for a couple weeks, thinks he knows you, and then tries to cart you away on some expedition? Sounds like bad news to me.”

“Okay, but that doesn’t mean he’s crazy. He’s a good person. Yixing is friends with him, for God’s sake.”

“Since when does Yixing have credibility when it comes to picking friends? I mean, he’s friends with Sehun and Jongin, for God’s sake,” Kyungsoo mocks.

“Ha ha. Is now really the time for jokes?” Minseok rolls his eyes.

“All I’m saying is that I don’t trust him. Besides, what’s so good about the city? You really think you’ll be happy there? Find your life purpose or whatever?”

“…So what if I do?” Minseok defends, crossing his arms.

“I’ve seen a lot of people leave, and none of them were better because of it. Do you really believe you can travel with Luhan, anyways? What happens when he gets bored of you?”

“What the hell, Kyungsoo?” Minseok bites his lip. “You’re being such an right now.”

“Or maybe you’re just too blind to see the truth.”

Kyungsoo kicks himself for letting his jealousy get the best of him, but it’s too late. Minseok’s expression is all kinds of hurt as he gathers himself, and he keeps his eyes downcast as he stalks towards the door.

“I thought you were my best friend, Kyungsoo.”

The door slams behind him and Kyungsoo watches Minseok walk down his driveway, wiping tears from his eyes, regret settling like a stone inside of him and crushing his insides.

“I am.”