Surprise

The Others
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was already getting bright outside when Jisoo's neck began to protest against the awkward position it had been forced into for several hours. The Wielder groaned quietly when painful stinging woke him up, his cheek pressed flush against Seungkwan's warm chest.

Careful not to wake the other male, he sat up and immediately winced when his muscles protested at the movement. He grimaced and rubbed his neck in an attempt to alleviate the pain but after about a minute, he gave up with a sigh. Hopefully it would get better by itself until he had to go to work.

The Guardian was still sound asleep and Jisoo contemplated whether to let him be, but seeing that his neck was also bent at a not very comfortable-looking angle, he decided against it and carefully ran his hand over the Clairvoyant's arm in an attempt to wake him.

It didn't take long to find out that Seungkwan was a heavy sleeper. A very heavy one. Quite literally, since the Guardian didn't even wake up when the Wielder half-carried, half-dragged him all the way into his room and finally dropped him onto his bed with a relieved exhale, only worsening his already sore muscles.

 

Chan's warm fingers on his cheek woke Jisoo after much too little sleep. Still, he smiled at the feeling and at the younger's content that filled him. The fingers wandered from his cheek to his lips and remained there until Jisoo had forced his heavy lids open. He was greeted with Chan's bright grin that shone even in the dim light of the room.

"What time is it?" he croaked, the Guardian's fingertips moving back to his cheek at the motion.

"Shhh Seungkwan is still sleeping. It's eight," came the whispered response.

Jisoo groaned. "It's Sunday, why are you awake already? Few more minutes, please, Channie."

The younger cast a doubtful glance towards the clock at the wall. "But you need to go to work today, hyung. And Jihoon said-"

"Work starts at one; there's plenty of time," Jisoo mumbled, already half asleep.

"Okay. But only this once." With a dramatic sigh, Chan snuggled closer to his Wielder, glad that the other couldn't see the wide smile on his face.

 

They got abruptly woken again forty-five minutes later by Jeonghan who unceremoniously marched into their room. At least he had the decency to knock once before waltzing in, but his entry still startled the occupants of the room awake rather violently. "Rise and shine, lovely people! The coffee is getting cold and Ji looks like he'll get an aneurysm if he has to wait any longer, so move your butts into the dining room ASAP."

Seungkwan grumbled and sat up, his hair sticking up in every possible direction, while Chan only mumbled something incoherent into the Wielder's shoulder and didn't open his eyes. Jisoo watched as Jeonghan eyed the younger before he tiptoed closer to their futon and abruptly pulled their blanket away, successfully making Chan squeal which in turn startled Seungkwan for the second time this morning.

Starting today, he would sleep in his own flat, the Wielder decided when the Clairvoyant began to scream profanities at the long-haired Warrior who answered them just as loudly while Chan kept complaining next to him. He sat up as well, ignoring the Guardian clinging to his waist, and grimaced when pain immediately shot through his back. This was going to be a long day.

 

"Oh look. It's Sleeping Beauty and the two dwarfs." Jihoon's unamused voice greeted them once they finally stepped into the dining room, after making themselves look somewhat presentable, followed by Hansol's and Jun's guffaws.

"It's Snow White and the dwarfs, not Sleeping Beauty," Jeonghan corrected, not even looking up from the magazine he was reading, his already empty bowls neatly lined up in front of him.

Jihoon shot him a look. "You think I give a ? Why are you late?"

The last part was directed at the group that had entered and Jisoo felt the sudden need to protect his Bonded when they noticeably hesitated to answer the quick-tempered Warrior. Ignoring the pain the movement brought him, he took a step forward and a faint blush spread on his cheeks when Jihoon's dark eyes focused on him. The memories of soft lips and pale skin were still fresh. "I forgot to set the a-alarm to 8:30. I'm sorry."

The Warrior immediately softened at his words and waved his apology away. "Whatever. Eat, the food is almost cold already."

"Wow, you're all seriously biased," Seungkwan complained while he pulled out his chair. "Last time I woke up late there was no food left and you forced me to do the dishes."

Jihoon's ears immediately turned a healthy red and the chopsticks in his tightening fist began to look rather menacing.

"Of course we're biased; he's our Wielder after all," Seungcheol said without the slightest hesitation and patted Jihoon's hand to prevent the upcoming massacre while Jisoo blushed as well.

"Where a-are Mingyu and Wonwoo?" he asked to move the attention away from him while Chan next to him grumpily began to chew on his lukewarm rice.

"They already finished eating," Jun replied and the Wielder nodded. Silence settled over the table.

"What's the plan for today?" Chan finally asked after several long minutes of clinking cutlery and rustling magazine pages, dabbing his mouth with his napkin.

"Shun'n'I-"

"Stop being a pig and swallow before you speak." The look Jeonghan pierced Hansol with over the rim of his reading glasses was filled with pure disgust.

For once, the Warrior actually listened to him before he repeated himself, this time without spitting rice all over the table. "Jun and I gonna hang out with Jooheon and Shownu. Mingyu said that maybe he'll come too as long as I.M's not there."

Jisoo perked up at the familiar names, his food forgotten at once. "How are they doing? Did you hear anything from the rest?"

"Not too bad. Wonho has connections so they found a place to live in quickly. And thanks to Seokmin, they all recovered without a problem," Jun jumped in. "They don't have a Wielder though and I don't think they want one after Jiyong. Although they probably wouldn't mind you," he finished with a grin and Jisoo blanched at the thought of seven new Forcebearers.

"Too bad we don't share," Hansol added smugly. The Wielder visibly relaxed while his Bonded laughed at his expression.

"What's so funny?" Mingyu's deep voice rang from behind them. He stepped through the door followed by Wonwoo. The Guardian was as expressionless as always and Jisoo felt a small sting when he remembered the fond smile he had seen on him the night before.

"Nothing important. Are you coming too later or are you staying home again?"

The tall Warrior hesitated at Hansol's question and Jisoo rubbed his chest at the feeling of Mingyu's unease. "I think I'll stay home. Just in case."

"Oh come on, you'll be fine. Nobody will recognize you. Just wear a face mask or something if you're worried," Jun pushed but the Warrior still seemed unconvinced.

"Nothing will happen," Seungkwan confirmed distractedly, focused on spreading jam on his toast as evenly as he possibly could, "But make it home before seven; we're going out for dinner."

"Uuh, we are?" Hansol asked, scratching his head.

"Yeah, Minghao will call and ask if we want to check out a new restaurant in Hongdae tonight at 7:30."

While most of the people present didn't seem phased, already used to his peculiar behaviour, Jun eyed the Guardian warily. "Has anyone ever told you that sometimes you're seriously creepy?"

Seungkwan gave him the stink-eye over his piece of toast before he turned to the rest. "I'll call him and tell him that we'll join. Seokmin is in, too."

"At least ask us first," Mingyu said indignantly and stole a spoon full of Jisoo's rice, causing the Clairvoyant to raise an eyebrow.

"Do you have anything better to do?"

"Well, no, but-"

"It's a deal then."

The tall Warrior looked as if he was going through a whole list of names he wanted to call the Guardian - but after a quick glance at the Wielder, he remained quiet.

 

It was Jisoo's turn to do the dishes and he had vehemently refused to accept any help. It hadn't taken long for him to regret his decision.

He stretched to open the cupboard but had to suppress a shout when pain shot through his back like lightning. Carefully, he placed the plates on the counter and leaned his forehead against the cool wood of the cupboard door, focusing on the sensation to take his mind off his screaming muscles. The thought of calling Seokmin for help was tempting, but as soon as it had popped up, the Wielder discarded it. He would not let his Bonded bear the outcome of his own bad decisions.

"Are you okay?"

Jumping at the deep voice behind him, Jisoo turned around and found Seungcheol watching him with a concerned frown on his face. "Uh yeah, I'm f-fine." He tried to muster a smile but based on his Warrior's expression, it didn't look very convincing.

"What's the matter? Are you feeling sick?"

Jisoo had avoided spending time with the Warrior alone ever since they had formed their new contract. The urge to flee was strong even now but the Wielder fought it down. "I think I pulled a muscle. It'll get better by itself, I guess."

His fake-smile slid right off his face when Seungcheol took a worried step closer and Jisoo pressed himself even further against the cupboard. At this sight, the Warrior stopped at once, sadness flooding their bond.

Awkward silence filled the kitchen until Seungcheol spoke, "I think we need to talk."

Jisoo paled at his words. "N-now? I need t-to get ready for work..." Trailing off at Seungcheol's disbelieving expression, he scratched his neck awkwardly.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter