Bright lights

The Others
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yongguk's reaction was quick and shaped by experience: at the sound of hurried footsteps he immediately turned to face the potential threat while simultaneously shielding the Wielder's body with his own. This move alone was enough to cause Jisoo's heart to speed up in fear and he held his breath while waiting for whatever was going to happen next. The footsteps got louder and around the street corner in front of them slid a young man, running at full speed, his eyes wide in horror. Jisoo felt a painful sting in his chest at the familiarity of the situation - only that this time he wasn't the one fleeing. As soon as the stranger reached the lights of the subway station, the Wielder recognized the flaming red hair.

"Please help me, please! They forcebonded me!"

The street artist's accent reminded Jisoo of Jun; his stomach clenched and he immediately tried to take a step closer - but Yongguk's hand closed around his arm. "Don't. It could be a trap."

The street artist came to a halt, maybe to catch his breath, maybe to explain himself - but at the sound of footsteps in the distance he cursed and turn to run once again.

His harrowed expression made Jisoo's stomach clench painfully. "Wait! Yongguk, we can't just leave him like this. Please," he pleaded, eyes directed at the red-haired male in front of them.

"Jisoo, we don't know who's coming and I'm alone."

For a moment, Jisoo looked torn but in the end he nodded. "Then go first please. I'll try to figure something out. At least they can't bond me."

"Wha- Jisoo! You're a Wielder, how are you going to fight Forcebearers?!" The street artist had followed their conversation anxiously and Jisoo sent him a small smile to calm him. "Okay, no time for discussions, I guess," Yongguk sighed and positioned himself in front of Jisoo again while the red-haired male stepped even further back to get out of the bright lights.

Around the corner walked two men, both of them dressed in pristine and expensive-looking suits. The aura of superiority they exuded was nearly palpable. "There you are, Minghao. If you come over here now I won't punish you too badly," the one on the left said, his smile wide and charming. For a split second, Jisoo wondered how he was able to see with his eyes hidden behind his long fringe but he forced himself to focus back on the task at hand.

"Over my dead body," the street artist, Minghao apparently, spat with a glare and moved even further back.

"Oh, lucky you, we can fulfil that wish," the other answered, the sweet smile still on his face. "Don't think that I won't kill you just because you're one of the Others." The guy next to him, whose Mohawk clashed oddly with his classy suit, grinned at the threat and cracked his neck.

Jisoo thought that it was time to interfere but he wasn't all too sure how. The decision was taken from his hands when a beam of bright white light shot in his direction from the nearest street lamp and it was only thanks to Yongguk's fast reflexes that they didn't get severely injured.

"Woah, what did we do to deserve such a treatment?" the Warrior asked after making sure that Jisoo was still in one piece.

"We can't leave any witnesses, can we?" the overly sweet guy said with a dismissive wave of his hand. "Taeyang, finish this."

Yongguk assumed attack stance while Minghao raised his hands. "Stop it, they didn't do anything to you, Daesung."

Daesung's smile did not falter and Jisoo imagined him raising an eyebrow behind his fringe. "Do you really think you're in any position to make demands? It's your own fault that you ended up this way."

Now it was the Wielder's turn to speak up. "T-there is no good reason to forcebond anyone. It's cruel and inhumane."

Daesung remained eerily quiet for a moment before his smile widerned into a grin. Jisoo's courage shrunk at the sight. "It's what happens when you can't repay your debts. And who would've thought that we'd make such a good deal with it. Let's get this over with, I have a meeting to attend."

Taeyang waved his hands and once again beams of pure, hot light zoomed towards them, forcing Jisoo and Yongguk to jump backwards. The Warrior ground his teeth and it was the first time for Jisoo to see him angry. It made him look different and the laid-back friendly atmosphere which he usually exuded had given room to a dangerous and dark feeling. "Enough," he growled while clenching his fists and now it was Taeyang whose eyes widened while he fell to his knees, unable to keep standing upright at the force that pulled him towards the ground. With visible difficulty, he once again sent light beams and Yongguk's concentration broke when one of them grazed his arm, scorching his jacket and the skin beneath it.

Jisoo carefully moved back towards Minghao while keeping an eye on the battling Warriors. He held his breath when Yongguk closely dodged an attack and made Taeyang scream in pain in retaliation before he talked to Minghao out of the corner of his mouth, in an attempt not to make it too obvious so Daesung wouldn't get suspicious. "Do you have a phone?"

Minghao glanced at him and nodded, quickly looking back towards the fight while discreetly shuffling closer. When he got into arm's reach, he shoved the phone into the Wielder's pocket in one quick movement while still staring straight. Jisoo moved back a bit further to get out of the lights of the subway station before he turned away from the fight to call Chan.

The younger picked up at the first ring. "Hyung is that you? What's going on, where are yo-"

"Channie, I'm at Miasageori-Station, bring the others. Hurry."

"Miasageori, got it. We'll be there in five minutes."

He had just hid the phone in his pocket again when Yongguk crumbled to the dirty ground, holding his bleeding side. Taeyang was on the ground too, seemingly bound by gravity, but the tall student was visibly exhausted and too d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter