F.N.T.

When The Sun Shines

 

Hyuk scanned one photo after the other, his disgust worsening after each click. He understood the concept of fascination and admiration, but this was beyond the typical "I like you" feelings. 

Judging from the photos, he was definitely dealing with a Class A Stalker. 

The photos weren't just the ones taken that day the stalker barged into Kim Sun Hee's basement dressing room. As he browsed through the gallery, he photos of her crossing down the street, out shopping with friends, and even eating sweet potatoes. One photo even showed the actress arguing with someone inside her apartment (he assumed it was her apartment). Despite the different settings, these had one thing in common: she didn't know someone was taking her photos. 

Hyuk had reported the incident already to his superiors and they were starting the search. Unfortunately, the stalker was wearing gloves so there was no way to get his fingerprints. All they had to work with was Kim Sun Hee's descriptions. 

That wasn't much help.

The photos were becoming more disturbing as he clicked. Hyuk couldn't take it anymore, so he closed the camera and took a deep breath. At that moment, Sun Hee's face appeared in his head. 

She was always that joyful ray of sunshine to everyone, albeit she was a bit annoying (and too talkative). Whenever he saw her, she was either happy, chatty, mad, or stubborn. But he never saw her upset. The first time he saw her cry was when that stalker came into her room. Until now, he was deeply affected by the memories of her tears. 

Something about her crying bothered him...a lot. 

He hid the camera back in his desk and got out the case files. Hyuk began to write down more details concerning Sun Hee's case -- what happened, what he did, and his suspicions. As he scribbled down his notes, her face kept coming back to him -- those bloodshot eyes, how she held him tight, and the feeling of her tears on his shoulder. 

If he was going to be honest, Kim Sun Hee was just a victim he had to protect. She was like all the others he was responsible for. 

But for some reason he couldn't explain, he never wanted to see her that upset again. 

I must be going out of my mind, he told himself, This is just from lack of sleep. Or maybe, I've watched too many live scenes from dramas. 

 


 

"You should hire bodyguards, Sun Hee. I'm telling you. This is no ordinary stalker already."

Sun Hee felt shivers down her spine when she remembered that fateful day. She took down one shot of Soju quickly, hoping to erase that memory from her head -- if possible -- forever. But alcohol can only do so much. Opposite her, her best friend Jin Hae watched her with worry as she ate one radish cube after the other. 

"I don't need a bodyguard," replied Sun Hee, pouring herself another glass.

"What do you mean? You practically get harassed the other day and you think you don't need one?"

Sun Hee drank another shot. "Nope."

"Why not? Are you crazy?"

As she poured herself another shot, she remembered the look in his eyes when he held her close.

It was supposed to be one of the most embarassing moments in her life -- harassed by a stalker, ending up half on the bathroom floor. She remembered wanting to melt on the spot, hating her ordeal. Sun Hee had never been so distressed in her entire life; she wished she could just disappear. But when he came close and pulled her close for comfort, all of her worries melted away.

They had only known each other for months, but when he told her he would never leave her alone, she felt safe.

"I already have one," she told Jin Hae.

"Who? That detective?"

Sun Hee didn't answer. She just smiled as she watched the rain pour outside.

 


 

"...we're going to try our best to find out," Hyuk was saying to his superiors, "We're trying to match the photos with other stalker suspects in our database. Hopefully, we'll come up with a match."

"Let's hope so, Detective Lee," said DA Park, "I heard that young woman was scared senseless that day."

"She was."

"Couldn't blame her. It's hard walking around with some creep stalking me."

"That's true."

As he was finishing his paperwork ( he had plenty of it; in fact, he worked overtime because of it), he noticed his superior looking at him with a knowing expression. DA Park, who was perched on the divider of Detective Lee's cubicle, smiled at him.

"Is there something funny, sir?" he asked his sunbaenim. 

"This makes your case all the more important now, doesn't it?" asked DA Park, "You used to complain a lot about it."

Hyuk looked at his superior. "Well, I thought it wasn't my cup of tea," he explained. 

"Now it is?"

The young detective closed the case folder. "You were right when you said every life matters," he admitted, looking at the photo of Kim Sun Hee, "Hers matters too."

There was an obvious twinkle in his senior's eyes.

"Looks like the F.N.T finally got your attention," he said.

Hyuk's eyebrows wrinkled in confusion. "F.N.T.?"

 


 

"And I will love him forever. I don't care if I have to wait all over again. Our love will always transcend lifetimes."

 

Hyuk almost choked on his yogurt. The actress' line was so cheesy, he couldn't take it. 

Kim Sun Hee, on the other hand, dramatically looked at her co-actor, tears beading in the corner of her eyes. Her closed fists were trembling.

Hyuk didn't know what the scene was about, but one thing was for sure: it was a cheesy one. Seeing Kim Sun Hee in the arms of an unknown actor (he wasn't being mean, but he really didn't know who the actor was), it made him cringe. Just two hours ago, he watched them rehearse a scene that involved plenty of crying, hugging, and other "smoochy" things as he called.

Despite feeling weird watching such scenes live, he was secretly glad that Kim Sun Hee looked happier today. She was back to her regular self -- bubbly, happy, and chatty. Just three hours ago, she was lecturing Hyuk about the importance of a daily beauty regimen and why men should have them. When he completely ignored her suggestion, saying he didn't need it, she assumed he was too proud with his looks.

But really, he was just lazy. 

Oddly enough, he wasn't as annoyed as he usually would. He managed to get through her 15-minute lecture about aloe vera without thinking she was too talkative or he'd rather be doing something else. Hyuk still missed being at the station, but he could finally endure his new station aka the set. He was finally used to seeing people bustle around, directors scream at actors, and being asked about what he thought about the makeup (he still had no definite say, as much as he wanted to).

Surprisingly, he was also better at constantly being at Kim Sun Hee's side.

As he watched her take a break to make way for the lead actress (Sun Hee hated her with pure pleasure; she always told Hyuk about that actress' countless plastic surgeries), he still couldn't believe he had finally become...accepting? Harmonious? Civil? He didn't know the term, but he wasn't as antagonistic with her as he was before.

But she was still pretty much annoying.

She saw him watching. Kim Sun Hee winked alluringly at him. 

"Looks like the F.N.T. finally got your attention."

Hyuk shook his head at that memory. 

But he couldn't deny it either.

 


 

"He looks more like a model than a stylist."

"Are you sure he's a stylist?"

"That's what they said! He's Kim Sun Hee's stylist."

"Kim Sunny?"

"Sun Hee!"

"Who's that?"

"The other actress?"

"Oh, that actress."

 

Sun Hee controlled herself as she unintentionally eavesdropped on a bunch of teenage interns working around the set. She didn't know which annoyed her more: the mere fact they didn't know  who she was or the other fact that they were gushing about Lee Hyuk. She just took a break from rehearsal and was hoping to get some fresh air when she stumbled upon this group of interns.

At first, she thought they were giggling about the actor Lee Joon-Sang. But when she heard the name Lee Hyuk, she was stumped.

 

"God, he could smother me with that jawline."

"That jawline? Can we talk about his eyes?"

"Let's!"

 

There was plenty more of the giggling and it was starting to get on Sun Hee's nerves. She gripped her cup of coffee and took a sip, trying to block out their noise. Unfortunately, they were too loud.

 

"Do you think he's dating anyone?"

"Of course he does. I bet you on it," said one girl, the one wearing pigtails (If there was anything Sun Hee hated much in the world, it was pigtails on a grown woman), "He looks like a boyfriend already."

"But he could be single for all you know."

"I hope he is. He looks like he doesn't care about women too."

"He could be that kind of guy...the one no woman can ever tame. Something like that."

"That jawline tames no one, Shin-Eun!"

"For all you know, he could be dating the actress!"

"That's possible."

 

Sun Hee smiled secretly as she took another sip of her coffee. Of course they'd think she was dating the handsome "stylist;" it made sense. They looked good together and she was sure they'd make a great pair. 

 

"God, I hope not. She's too noisy."

 

What the--?

 

Sun Hee stood up and approached the table, her heels clacking wildly. The loud steps signalled her arrival, which alerted the group with her presence. The young interns gasped and were surprised with her appearance. She could already see the regret on their faces. Sun Hee was already racking her brains for something smart to say to them.

"Miss Kim."

A deep tone distracted her thoughts.

Behind her, Detective Lee Hyuk stood, hands shoved in his dark jacket (which he wore so well). She was stunned by his sudden appearance and she knew she wasn't alone. The girls behind her started talking.

"Yes?" she asked.

"It's time to go home," he told her, "I need to drop by the sta-- salon to get stuff. I need to drop you off."

His cheeks flushed red after correcting himself and the mere fact he had to use "salon" as an excuse. Behind her, she could still hear the interns whispering, probably about her or his jawline. She cast them a knowing look, her eyes arching to show off her usual "I told you so" look. Before anyone could say anything, she immediately grabbed hold of Lee Hyuk's arm, which also surprised him.

"Let's go then, stylist," she said.

She didn't allow Detective Lee to say anything anymore. She just winked at him and pulled him out of the scene.

 


 

"My god, that woman."

 

The water felt so good against his tired skin. Detective Lee always enjoyed these nighttime warm showers -- it was a routine he couldn't live without, especially after a hard day. He added more shampoo and started scrubbing his hair, soaking in the hot water. He really loved this time of the day -- just him, the jazz music, and hot shower. 

After five minutes, he got out and took a towel to wrap himself dry. 

The apartment was too cold for his liking, so he took another towel and wrapped it around his chest like a cape. He should've paid the heating bill a long time ago, but work was too much and he didn't have the time. Shivering, he got out of the bathroom and ran to his closet, immediately scrounging for a good pair of shorts and shirts. 

Before he got dressed, he looked at himself in front of the mirror.

"If you want clear skin, you should consider applying aloe vera gel on your face for the night."

Even in memories, her voice always rang.

He shook his head and wiped his hair dry. Hyuk put on his favorite white yet worn out shirt and a pair of shorts. It was already ten in the evening and he wanted to do something relaxing. 

"Chamomile tea is the best when you're so done with life."

He wasn't much of a tea person, but Kim Sun Hee was. She must've thought that he could stomach some tea leaves in his daily cup. Hyuk was always in favor of all things strong, like coffee. Girly chamomile tea wasn't part of his nightly options. He couldn't even remember when she told him that -- probably a week ago when he went with her for her fitness consultation. 

Tomorrow, Hyuk would be at the station to sort out her case, as well as another gang-related operation. The Gangnam Police station figured that Hyuk needed a break from all the glitz and glamor of his job. They would send two interns to look after Kim Sun Hee while he attended to his job. Admittedly, he couldn't wait to get back and beat the crap out of gang leaders, but a part of him also worried about the actress.

Nah, she'll be fine.

She was strong anyway. She might've cried that one time, but he knew she could take it.

His phone vibrated on his desk, indicating he got a text message. Throwing away his towel on the couch, Hyuk took his phone and scrolled. It was an unknown number.

When he read the message, he realized that he hadn't named the sender, despite being on his phone for months now.

No one else would tell him to put aloe vera on his face than Kim Sun Hee. 

For some reason, he hadn't input her name on his phone -- just her number. He was always like that, putting names only when he thought it was necessary. That time she put her number on his phone, he didn't even think of putting her name on it. But even though he was working with her, he still didn't think of  adding her name.

He had a lot of text messages coming. Since she was a special case, he knew he had to label her. But Kim Sun Hee didn't seem like the appropriate name for her on his phone. 

He then remembered what DA Park said.

Without thinking, he used three letters to label her.

 

"F.N.T.?"

The DA smiled at him.

"Fascinating New Thing."

 


 

A/N: I listened to Semisonic's FNT and immediately saw Sunny and the Grim Reaper. You should try listening to it, dear reader. It's cool, I swear.

 

Hope to hear more from you :)