White Day: Act 1

When The Sun Shines

 

[ THREE WEEKS AGO ]

 

"The actress left you something."

Detective Lee did not trust that sly smile on his superior's face. He knew that whenever DA Park smiled like that -- it meant something. It just had to. 

"It's on your desk, on top of your case files, which needs to be reviewed at the end of the day. Oh and don't forget the meeting with Inspector Jung. We'll be sorting out through our Top 10 hitlist again."

"I understand."

His superior just smiled at him again before leaving the room.  

Hyuk heaved a sigh as he took off his jacket and wrapped it around his chair. It had been a long day for the 28-year old detective: first, he dealt with a pesky kidnapper in the interrogation room; second, he locked up another round of gangsters, and finally, he had to file everything that happened, which resulted in another round of overtime.

He sat on his chair and rubbed his forehead, feeling very much exhausted.

It was fortunate that he didn't have to assist Kim Sun Hee today. If he had to, he probably would be unconscious in the streets by now. His throbbing head was enough proof of the exhaustive day.

Hyuk glanced at the second pile of case files, felt that feeling of dread, and sighed again. 

Took him a second to realize there was something new on his desk -- a pink box.

"The actress left you something."

Detective Lee reached out for the pink box and read the note with scrawls from Sun Hee. 

To the only guy I know. 

He unwrapped the paper and got out a box of elaborate white chocolate -- the kinds that usually have caramel inside of them. To top it off, it came with his favorite banana yogurt. 

What is this for?

The yogurt made sense, but the chocolate? What for?

As he surveyed the box, he glanced at the calendar in front of him. 

February 14.

He couldn't help it, but he smiled.

 


 

[ THE PRESENT ]

 

Hyuk stared at Ju Han as he busily wrote down details on his desk. The former couldn't help but feel annoyed at the sight of the latter, but what could he do? It wasn't as if he could just kick him out. After all, they were on the case together.

Sort of.

Apparently.

The truth about Ju Han was far from the chef claims. Just like Hyuk, he lied to their faces when he was asked about his occupation for the sake of undercover work. When they found him at the station two nights ago, DA Park explained his schoolmate's presence. The SMPA was feeling gracious with the Gangnam Police Station that they sent one of their best men to help out with the cases they had. 

Sun Hee's was included. 

Hyuk also found out that Ju Han was a well-loved asset in his department and that he soared heights after school. Ju Han said so ever so brightly on that night as well.

Now, here he was, scribbling furiously.

"Hey, I have a thought."

Cha Ju Han looked up and perused through the case file.

"Have you ever considered including gangs in the potential list of suspects in Kim Sun Hee's case?" he asked.

"No. That's nonsense," replied Hyuk.

"Go In Sung is in a gang."

"He's also a part-time hit man."

"So?"

Hyuk looked at Ju Han. "He's been on the runaway from his gang ever since he failed to deliver some cash," he said, "Why do you think he's taking side jobs?"

Ju Han stared at him, still holding the case file. "Hmm, still short-tempered, I see," he replied, "Well, in that case, we'll have two possibilities then. The more the merrier, right?" 

Lee had to bite his lip. Instead, he smiled. 

"You're right."

After that, Ju Han smiled back and set the case file down.

"So, that Kim Sun Hee," he began, "She's really interesting, huh?"

Detective Lee glanced at his old school nemesis turned colleague. Ju Han was obviously smitten with the actress. His eyes said a lot. 

"God, I can't remember meeting someone like her," continued Ju Han, "She has this air that just attracts everyone meets. Heh, I don't know how anyone could resist her."

He said all those words with an airy fairy like tone. Hyuk, on the other hand, just kept nodding as he wrote.

"She's so gorgeous, that's a start -- like inhumanely and insanely. The gods must've favored her when she was born," continued Ju Han, "But she's also this ball of life, like sunshine. I mean sure, she's annoying sometimes, but that smile, that laughter. I can't even begin to describe it. I don't usually stay out that long with women, but she was the first one."

Eventually, he leaned down in front of Hyuk. 

"How do you bear it?" he asked.

"What?"

"Work with this woman," remarked Ju Han, "I can't even stand two seconds without being too amazed with her." He stopped, then he chuckled knowingly, "Well, knowing you, I don't think Sun Hee's charms affect you. Being cold and stoic is your specialty."

"What a nice thing to say," said Hyuk.

Ju Han smirked. "Hypothetically, if I were to ask her out, you wouldn't mind, would you?" he asked.

Hyuk accidentaly smudged his sign.

"What?"

He saw Ju Han smirking and looking down at him.

"I said, you wouldn't mind if I tried to date Kim Sun Hee, right?" he asked, "Because I'm basically from another district, so I don't think it will be too awkward for the officials. Unless...I don't know...maybe you have a thing for her?"

He was looking at Hyuk with that same cocky smile on his face.

 "Do you?"

Detective Lee stared.

"You're crazy."

Ju Han then nodded. "Hmm, that's settled then," he announced, "But don't worry. I'm not going to do anything crazy while we work on her case. Our partnership first over hers, as always. It'll be like the good old times we were forced to partner even though we hated each other."

"I didn't hate you."

"Tell than to the black eye you gave me."

Ju Han shook his head as he settled back in his seat. "Ah well, this is going to be an interesting ride," he commented, "I can't wait." Happily, he started perusing through Kim Sun Hee's file, suggesting potential gangs and commenting on the weather. The inspector was clueless to the fact that Hyuk had turned a deaf ear, but was writing furiously.

 


 

"And here's your next potential project," her assistant Lee Mi Yeon handed her another folder, "It's a crime drama again. The directors would like you to play the best friend of the lead role."

Sun Hee rolled her eyes as she took the folder. 

"Anything else?" she asked.

"So far that's it," replied Mi Yeon, "The manager will call you tomorrow for news."

The actress figured there was no point in arguing anymore. Instead of whinning, she just smiled, told her assistant that she was done for the day and that she would see her tomorrow. 

"Ah, by the way, Miss Kim. These are for you." The assistant pulled out a tray filled with boxes of chocolates. "These are from your doting fans. White Day's coming anyway so these are just the early batches."

Sun Hee perused through the pile, remembering how the lead actress in the previous drama got piles of chocolates a year ago. She tried not to be jealous and instead, be grateful for her own pile. The small load of chocolates did come with some of her personal favorites and love notes from her fans. They might be small in numbers, but at least, she had some. 

"Thanks Mi Yeon," she said, "I'll take these to my car."

"Oh, are you going home alone?" 

"Yes, why?"

The assistant smiled sheepishly. "So, your stylist is not coming here?" she asked, "I noticed that he would usually drop by."

The thought of Detective Lee pushed Sun Hee out of her game. She slightly faltered and almost dropped her box.

"Ah well...he's too busy," she replied, "He has other clients to mind. Besides, I'm not acting today so why would I need him?"

Mi Yeon smiled. "I don't know, but you guys were always joined to the hip," she said, "I'll see you tomorrow, Miss Kim."

 

--

 

Sun Hee took the tray of chocolates as well as the take-out box of chicken out of her car, lagging towards her apartment. She wondered why she didn't bother to demand Jin Hae or her assistant to come with her. But then again, she's been pretty much pre-occupied the past days. Loudly, she complained as she made her way and stuffed the key inside. 

It wasn't exactly a rough day. 

It was just some sort of D-DAY.

After all, it was March 13 already.

She opened the door and immediately went towards her living room, dropping some chocolates here and there. Sighing, Sun Hee placed the tray on the table first and bent down to pick up the other notes and chocolates. Once she settled in (putting the chicken on the kitchen countertop), she sat on the sofa and started reading through the notes.

Her cheeks blushed as she read the kind words her fans had to say. 

They made her supposedly sullen day bright again. 

 

Sun Hee noona, you're so beautiful, I can't even! Looking forward to more of your projects. xoxox

Miss Sun Hee, wishing to have a girlfriend as gorgeous as you are. You'll be the most beautiful detective if you ever was one. Much love from Namwon!

We need more pretty people like you, Sunshine! Make us proud.

 

She was used to getting letters and chocolates days before White Day -- even before she was famous. As much as she hated to admit it, she was the kind of girl boys fell head over heels in love with. She was used to having chocolates and love notes whenever, wherever -- it was a point of pride.

But this year's White Day was different. 

Sun Hee still got the chocolates, but not from the person she wanted it to come from.

Tsk, what was I thinking? she asked herself, laying down the chocolates, Of course he'd never bother. He never has. 

She heaved a sigh and got up, walking towards her bedroom.

Sun Hee, it's time to stop expecting from him, she thought, He's never going to see you that way. Once this case ends, he'll probably forget your name. 

It was a sad thought. Sun Hee was sorely tempted to grab a bottle of Soju and finish it in one seating, but she had a meeting tomorrow. She couldn't be wasted tonight. 

She just turned the knob of her bedroom door.

"Ugh, I'll just sleep this off. All this worrying is bad for my skin," she told herself as she opened the door.

 

And gasped.

 


 

Hyuk felt like he was going over the speed limit, but couldn't care less. 

 

"Did she say what it was about?" asked Ju Han who was holding tightly unto his seatbelt.

"No."

"What's happening then?"

Hyuk kept his eyes on the road, not even pausing to answer.

"Hey, Lee Hyuk, answer me," said Ju Han, "I have a lot of questions here: what the hell is going on with the actress? And why is she named FNT on your phone? What sort of codename is that? Had I known it was Kim Sun Hee, I would've told you to answer it immediately."

"Stop complaining," retorted Hyuk.

"I'm just concerned, Hyuk. Don't get all antsy on me," argued Ju Han, "Drive faster."

Hyuk didn't have to be told what to do. He was already stepping on the gas more than he should. Given the last time that the actress failed to answer, he didn't want a second time. 

He would not forgive himself.

 

---

 

"This is...I don't know...twisted."

 

Ju Han was looking around the scene and for once, Hyuk could not argue with him. 

The Gangnam Investigation team had finally arrived and were taking photos of the area. He watched as one of the interns click the camera and shudder. Hyuk couldn't blame the kid. He had seen plenty of gruesome murder scenes, but this was something else. It didn't involve blood -- actually, all it had were papers and disturbing photos.

 

One part of Kim Sun Hee's bedroom wall was filled with colorful post-its. The bright colors, however, did not deceive the detective and his company from the words that were actually written on them.

You're mine, remember?

I love you Sun Hee.

No one else can have you. 

You are mine forever and ever Sun Hee.

If those were not terrifying enough, photos of the actress made another appearance, but this time, they were recent photos of her. As usual, she looked clueless to the fact that she was being watched from afar. One photo showed her crossing the street and another one caught her sleeping on a sofa on the set. One of the creepiest ones was of her just getting out of the shower. 

Each of them had the word "MINE" on it. 

 

"What the hell is this?" Ju Han wondered, "What kind of sick stalker would haunt a woman like this?"

 

Hyuk did not answer. Instead, he took one of the notes and read it.

 

"This is no stalker," he mentioned, "This is...a sick bastard." 

His hands crumpled the note.

 

"Where is Sun Hee?" asked Ju Han.

It was then Hyuk realized that he hadn't seen her since she stood by the door, all shaken up. They couldn't get her to talk first; she was wrapped in a blanket, shivering and scared at the sight of her bedroom.

"She must be in the living room," he answered.

Together, both officers left the scene to attend to Sun Hee, who was being comforted by Jin Hae. Unlike the first times she encountered her stalker, she wasn't crying. Instead, she was just frozen, staring blankly.

"Miss Sun Hee?" asked Ju Han, reaching out and touching her shoulder, "Miss Sun Hee?"

She still didn't respond. Her eyes were devoid of any of the vibrance she always had.

"Miss Sun Hee?" Ju Han tried again.

Hyuk sighed and knelt down in front of her, reaching her eye level.

"Miss Sun Hee?" he asked.

Only then did her eyes register the fact that someone was talking to her. She slowly looked at him -- face all pale.

"Is it okay if you come to the station with us?" he asked her.

She didn't say anything; she just nodded her head.

"Are you sure you should be doing this, Detective Lee?" asked Jin Hae, "She's still in shock. Maybe things could wait for tomorrow -- ?"

"No Jin Hae," answered Sun Hee, "I...I can talk."

She stood up and brushed the dust off her skirt, looking at the detective. For a moment, Hyuk felt terrible for her. It was amazing that she wasn't crying with this one, but he knew she didn't deserve this kind of harassment. 

He felt his blood boil.

 

---

 

",,,so no one was here when you came in?"

"No. I just found the post-its."

Ju Han furiously scribbled on his notepad, nodding as he did. 

"That's sort of a relief, then," he said, "The perpetrator left before you came in. Still, I think this was intentional; something to leave you a message. Has this happened before?"

"No. It's the first time."

"Do you think someone else could've done it?"

"How could someone else do it?" asked Hyuk, "This isn't anyone else -- it's the same guy."

He was still furious with the incident. The more the stalker got the best of them, the more frustrated he became. 

"The stalker, huh?" said Ju Han, mentioning the obvious.

"It's no longer a stalker," remarked Hyuk, "It's an obsessive bastard who has no self-respect or any form of respect for a woman."

"Must be because tomorrow's White Day," explained Ju Han, "The entire thing looks like a twisted gift, though."

Hyuk considered his colleague's suggestion. It was possible that the suspect wanted to convey his feelings towards the actress in the best way possible -- creepy and all-obsessive. Just a few minutes ago, the actress handed him a note which had the word MINE on it. Below the word was a lock of hair taped on the paper.

 

The actress said it was probably hers.

 

It just occurred to him that Sun Hee was in the same room. She was still shaking, but she kept her eyes at him, indicating that she was still listening. Hyuk saw the fear in her eyes and also the determination not to let it eat her. But like any victim, it was natural for her to be scared. Hyuk knew that she couldn't be alone, not when a lunatic is out there.

"Miss Sun Hee, would you like to stay over at Jin Hae's place first?" he asked her.

"I can't. Her mom is staying with her."

"How about going home to your parents?"

"They're too far," she replied, "And I don't want to bother my mother. She'll get scared to death."

Hyuk then racked his brains for other alternatives. Sun Hee could not go back to her apartment at that moment; apart from the team still searching for evidence, he wasn't comfortable with her staying alone there. If Jin Hae could stay, it would be okay. But as the actress mentioned, her friend was too busy with her own parents. Even the assistant wasn't within reach.

And it wasn't like Sun Hee had a lot of friends.

 

"You can stay at my place."

 

If Ju Han did not open his mouth, Hyuk would not have believed it. Both he and Sun Hee turned their attention to his former classmate. 

"What?" he asked, "Okay, I'm not going to do anything stupid, but I have an extra guest room that's far away from the master's bedroom. And I've allowed witnesses to stay over."

"That's not an option," said Hyuk.

"How can it be not an option?" argued Ju Han, "I'm a professional inspector; I'm not going to do something to witness, let alone a victim." He turned to Sun Hee. "I swear, I'm a good cop, Miss Kim. I'm just concerned for your safety and I'm merely offering more options. But I won't insist because I want you to trust me first."

Hyuk was watching Sun Hee.

Was she actually considering his offer?

"Well, that seems to be an option," she said, then she looked at Ju Han, "As long as you don't do anything funny, I guess I'll be okay." She eyed him. "You won't, right? I have pepper spray."

Ju Han laughed and held up his hand. "Trust me, Miss Sun Hee. You can phone the SMPA and they'll tell you I've watched over countless witnesses at my place," he explained, "And if I do do anything dodgy, feel free to stab me with a knife."

"You can't be serious."

Lee Hyuk stared at Sun Hee in disbelief.

"You're okay with sleeping at his place?" he asked, "You barely even know him."

"But he's a cop and I have good faith in cops," she answered, "I...I just can't be alone at that apartment tonight. I'll go crazy." 

"That's settled then," said Ju Han, smiling, "I'll go tell the superiors about it. They can call the SMPA for confirmation of my safe house status." There was an excited gleam in his eyes. "Don't worry, Miss Sun Hee. I'll keep you company in an appropriate manner. My fridge is stocked to the brim and free for you to raid while my TV has all the shows you want. But I'd prefer if we can spend the time talking too."

Sun Hee, despite the shaking and shock, actually blushed.

Ju Han got up from the desk and was about to approach DA Park when Hyuk held his arm.

"Yes?" asked the inspector, looking at the detective in the eye.

Hyuk stared at his old school nemesis then at Sun Hee who sat opposite them. There was no other decision around it. 

 

"I'm coming with you," he said.

 

"What? Why?" asked Ju Han. 

"I have to," answered Hyuk, "She's under my charge. If I'm allowing her to sleep in some man's house, I have to be there. For all I know, strange things can happen."

He eyed Ju Han suspiciously. Hyuk knew that Ju Han might not do anything bad to Sun Hee, but the latter's crush on the actress might result in excessive cases of flirting. And Hyuk didn't want that. 

"So...you want to sleep at my house too?"

Hyuk smiled at Ju Han. "That shouldn't be a problem, right?" he asked, "After all, it would be better. Two officers protecting the actress."

Ju Han looked at him with uncertainty; Hyuk, on the other hand, knew that the inspector could not refuse his offer.

Inspector Cha smiled, but underneath that smile, Hyuk could sense his disagreement.

"That...sounds like a plan," said Ju Han, "I'll go inform the superiors now." He excused himself from Sun Hee before staring a second or two at Hyuk. Detective Lee was no stranger to his old classmate's tricks. Ju Han just smirked at him before approaching the sunbaes to ask for permission. Hyuk, on the other hand, approached Sun Hee.

"We'll get the car ready so we can get some of your stuff at your apartment," he told her, "Then we'll all go to Cha Ju Han's place, okay?"

"Why are you coming?"

Her tone wasn't the usual sassy, queen-like query. Instead, she looked at him curiously. 

 

"I have to, don't I?" he asked.

 

"You don't have to go if you don't want to," she told him, frowning, "I don't want to be a bother."

 

He hasn't seen her smile vibrantly at him ever since that night. Part of him refused to acknowledge it outloud, but he missed the Sun Hee who bothered him a lot. She went from awkward to cold to this. 

 

Hyuk smiled at her. 

 

"You are never a bother to me, Miss Sun Hee."

 


 

A/N: Hey guys, sorry if I took a while. Life has been crazy and super busy lately. Sometimes, I just want to turn on the pause button and just watch all the kdramas I can. But here I am again. I hope you guys are okay and not tired from the stresses of life. :)

Hoping to hear from you!