For Just A Moment

My Hometown

 

 

Wheein yawned, tears pricking her half-lidded eyes as she brought a hand over . She drummed her pen against the notebook that laid on the table, pressing her cheek against the wood. She paid more attention to her pen’s repetitive beat rather than the scribbles and crossed out words in the stationery. Every idea she had wasn’t good enough.

Wheein shook out of her trance when her mother set a hot cup of tea next to her notebook, the steam rising from the mug. “Didn’t get enough sleep last night?”

“No,” Wheein said bitterly. She sighed. “I look pretty awful, right?”

Wheein’s mother rubbed her chin as she leaned closer to her daughter. She nodded once she reached a conclusion. “Yeah, I would’ve thought you were possessed if I saw you in public.”

Wheein huffed, lifting her head to rest it atop her crossed arms. “Considerate as always, mom.”

Wheein’s mother giggled and reached down to pat Wheein’s head. “How about you go back to sleep after breakfast then?”

She shook her head. “I have to meet up with Hyejin after this. I can’t cancel last minute.”

“Again?” Wheein’s mother raised an eyebrow. She placed both hands on her hips, deep in thought. “Though, I suppose it’s understandable. You two probably want to spend as much time together as possible before the holiday ends.”

Wheein said nothing and instead, she sat up straight to take a sip of her tea.

“By the way, you should’ve told me earlier that Hyejin was coming to Jeonju.” Wheein’s mother shot her a disapproving look. “I would’ve bought a gift for her, but I was left in the dark until her mother went on over the phone about how Hyejin couldn’t stop talking about what you two did yesterday.”

Wheein shrugged. “I didn’t know she was here either until I ran into her,” she blurted out.

Wheein’s mother tilted her head, eyes narrowed. “Well, that doesn’t sound like Hyejin at all. Why would she not tell you?”

Wheein blinked, her hand stilled as it held the mug to her lips. She set the porcelain down on the wooden table roughly, the abrupt sound resonating throughout the room. She stared at the clear liquid, her hands wrapping around the cup. “Hyejin wanted to keep it a secret. She said the reunion for the music video would be ‘more genuine’ that way.”

She stared for a moment at Wheein, who wouldn’t meet her gaze. Her expression softened before finally conceding to her daughter. “That makes sense. You always were bad at acting.”

Wheein’s smile was stiff. “Yeah.”

“Before you go though, do you know whether or not a lot of people are visiting Hyejin’s house for the New Year’s?”

“I never got to ask.”

“Well, you should ask her plans today then,” Wheein’s mother grinned. “And if they aren’t doing much, you should invite them to spend the holiday here!”

“W— What?” Wheein twisted her head towards her mother. “Why?”

“What do you mean ‘why?’” Wheein’s mother frowned,   “They’re practically family too, I don’t want them to spend the Lunar New Year alone.”

“Oh.” Wheein’s shoulders slumped and she leant back on her chair. “Well, how come you can’t ask Hyejin’s mom?”

“You know how she can be sometimes,” Wheein’s mom said, turning her attention to the oven. “Too kind, that woman. She’ll insist that she doesn’t want to bother us by intruding.” She slipped on the egg-print oven mitts and knelt down to open the stove.

“Oh,” Wheein whispered again. Her palms settled over her forehead. “Okay.”

Wheein’s mother paused, her back facing her daughter. “Did Hyejin do something?” she asked. “I can’t help but feel like you’re afraid whenever I mention her.”

“I’m just exhausted, mom, honest.” Wheein turned, staring at nothing. “Hyejin didn’t do anything wrong.”

Her mother was silent as she took out the dish from the oven and stood up to place it on the countertop. She calmly took a seat across from Wheein.

“What’s with this anyway?” Wheein’s mother pointed at her daughter’s notebook.

Wheein glanced down, sighing. “I was making a list on what I could base my art project on but… they didn’t quite fit the picture.”

“Does it have to be a specific theme?”

“My teacher said that it had to be about the phrase ‘Never letting go.’”

“Well,” Wheein’s mother leaned closer to her. “What’s the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear that phrase?”

Wheein shrugged and glanced to the side, wrapping her arms around herself. “Something I’m trying to leave behind."

______________________________________________________________________________

It was noticeably quiet when Hyejin came by to pick up Wheein and to begin their stroll. While the cameraman and Hyejin’s manager were distantly heard behind the two girls, discussing how to edit the music video, Wheein was all too aware that the only sound from Hyejin’s umbrella as it was pelted by the rain. This was what Wheein anticipated when she first ran into Hyejin—  silence. Silence because neither of them knew what to say. Silence because neither wanted to be the first to speak up. Silence because they would both rather be somewhere else. That’s what she would have preferred back then because that’s what she deserved.

But to experience this dead air after Wheein was just beginning to adjust to Hyejin’s sass again, adjust to Hyejin’s laugh again, adjust to Hyejin’s smile again. To have the audacity of being all torn up when she saw Hyejin’s smile directed at someone else. Wheein was— she was being petty. She was acting unreasonable, hypocritical.

Wheein turned to Hyejin, biting her lip. “Hyejin ar—”

“Wheein can I—”  

Both of them stopped, their eyes widening.

Hyejin gave a small smile. “You first.”

“Oh I, um—” Wheein coughed into her fist. “I was wondering if you were alright since you weren't talking.”

“Yeah I'm fine, nothing to fuss about.” She ran a hand through her short hair. “Maybe a little exhausted. I had trouble sleeping last night.”

“You too, huh?”

Nodding, Hyejin yawned and stretched by winding one of her arms. “I’m certain all our fatigue will go away though, once we arrive at the place I planned for us to go.”

Wheein snorted. “Where are you taking us this time anyway?”

“I’ll give you a hint, it’ll bring a lot of memories once you see it.”

Wheein rolled her eyes and thought hard as she walked around a deep puddle. Hyejin watched her, a playful smirk bearing her lips.

That could be anything in Jeonju Wheein thought to herself. Everything about this town was filled with memories of them, significant or not. Even if parts of Jeonju were unfamiliar, they were replaced by the new memories she was making with Hyejin right now. Memories she had to forget sooner or later.

Wheein’s nose scrunched, as if disgusted, and turned her head towards Hyejin. “Don’t tell me you’re taking us to our middle school,” she muttered.

“What, no!” Hyejin nudged Wheein’s side. “I’m not a nerd like you.”

Wheein brought a hand to her chest, eliciting a gasp. “Rude.”

Hyejin dismissed her statement with a wave of her hand. “Just try to remember! Don’t you recognize this street?”

Wheein blinked and faced forward. Now that she thought about it, she recalled strolling through this path a lot during the weekends when she was younger. She saw herself laughing while she held onto Hyejin’s hand, too busy enjoying themselves to worry about their assigned homework.

 

Don’t you ever get tired of coming here, Wheein?

Why would I? I get to have my own private concert when you sing!

You’re crazy if you think I’m going to be the only one singing.

Jeez… you’re no fun sometimes.

 

Wheein halted her steps. She stared ahead for a second before turning to Hyejin. “Is it that arcade we always wasted our money on?”

“Wow!” Hyejin clapped. “You got it right. Just in time too, we’re almost there.”

Not long after, Hyejin stopped and called attention to the building beside her. “Here we are!”

Wheein took in the sight, the clear windows allowing her to see the karaoke machines secluded in a room separate from the establishment and the many machines that attracted the customers on the other side.

Hyejin talked to the cameraman about how she and Wheein often goofed off here, but the rest of her story went unheard when Wheein picked up the sound of giggling. Wheein turned around, watching two girls huddle under the same umbrella and link arms for warmth. Their heads were turned down, their faces hidden by their hair. Gulping, Wheein tightened her grip on the umbrella. They didn’t acknowledge her, opening the front entrance and stepping inside as the glass door shut behind them.

“Wheein?”

Wheein turned toward Hyejin, who was amused with Wheein’s spacing out. “Huh?”

Hyejin rolled her eyes and poked Wheein’s cheek. “I see you’re still tired. Let’s hurry up inside, so we can shake off the fatigue already.” She grabbed the handle and pulled open the door for Wheein.

Wheein couldn’t help but smile at the gesture. “Thanks.” As she walked into the arcade, the sound of laughing and crashing pins filled her ears while she closed her umbrella. The manager and cameraman trailed behind as Hyejin let the door shut behind her. They unfolded their umbrellas and set it near the front door, where other umbrellas were left to dry and not taint the electronics.

“What do you want to do first?”

Wheein shrugged. “You can choose—” Her words trailed off when her eyes landed on the claw machine.

 

Wheein, you need to give up on getting that stuffed animal.

What? No way! You’re the one who wanted this toy in the first place.

You almost wasted your month’s allowance though…

Which’ll make earning this doll for you more worth it!

 

Hyejin followed Wheein’s gaze. “Oh, that’s a good idea! Start off small.” She interlaced her fingers with Wheein and dragged her forward. Hyejin placed her forehead and hands against the glass. “Which one should we try to get?”

Wheein surveyed the array of stuffed choices until one piqued her curiosity. It was an orange lion, its eyes squinted and mouth wide as it held its paws up. “This one is cute.” She tapped against the glass.

“Haha, very funny.” Hyejin rolled her eyes. “You picked a lion because my stage name is Hwasa, I get it.”

“We can always pick another one.” Wheein smirked. “The lion is too hard for you to get anyway.”

Hyejin crossed her arms, one eyebrow raised. “You know what?” She rummaged in her pocket and took out a coin. “Not only do I not like your attitude, but I’m also going to prove you wrong.”

Wheein laughed. “Are you really?”

“You’re going to eat those words Jung Wheein!” Hyejin jabbed at Wheein’s stomach with a finger. “I’m going to get it in my first try.”

Hyejin crouched to insert the coin into the slot, ignoring the snickering from the manager and cameraman. Filled with the adrenaline from a challenge, she propped herself up and slammed the start button.

The three onlookers watched Hyejin move the joystick, the claw stiff when following Hyejin’s commands. Hyejin pressed the button, causing the claw to descend over the stuffed lion. Of course, it failed to snatch the toy. Hyejin struck her head against the glass.

Hyejin turned to Wheein, who pressed her palms against her cheeks as if she couldn’t believe it.

“I can’t believe it,” Wheein drawled out in a high pitched voice. She laughed when she saw Hyejin’s face.

“That was obviously for practice.”

Nodding, Wheein’s smile grew bigger. “Obviously.”

Hyejin popped another coin inside, glaring at her friend. “Laugh it up now, but you’re going to see Master Hyejin at work. Starting now.”

Two coins, six coins, ten coins— Hyejin groaned as the lion toy mocked her, barely moving an inch.

“Maybe you should give up,” Wheein said. “You’re not going to have enough money for the train fare home at this rate.”

“I can’t stop now,” Hyejin retaliated. Wheein couldn’t tell if Hyejin was trying to convince herself or justify acting like a gambling old lady. “It’ll be like I lost to that lion if I do!”

“Either way, you lost to capitalism,” Wheein said under her breath.

Hyejin held up her index finger. “Give me one more shot. I can do this, I swear!” Before Wheein could argue against it, Hyejin popped in the last of her spare change.

Wheein sighed as the music started to play. “Good luck.”

Hyejin squinted, fixated on the machine. She maneuvered the joystick inch by inch until she was certain that the claw hovered over the plushie. The claw trickled down and clutched onto the lion, evoking a gasp from the girls.

Wheein held her breath, her cheeks inflated like a chipmunk, while Hyejin crossed her arms and chanted under her breath something along the lines of, “Please, please, please.”

Their eyes watched the crane carry the toy to the other side, the slot that connected the machine and the duo light years away. Wheein cringed as she watched the doll slowly slip from the claw’s grasp until it was only hung onto by the tail. Her heart jumped when the crane hovered over the opening, the toy safe and sound as it was dropped into the tunnel.

“Oh my god, you did it—” Hyejin slammed into her with power Wheein imagined an actual lion would have. Arms encircled Wheein’s back, squeezing so tight Wheein feared her heart would stop beating. Yeah, that was the only reason she thought it would stop.

“Thank god!” Hyejin’s voice was muffled, her face pressed against Wheein’s shoulder. “Losing in front of the camera would’ve been embarrassing.”

Wheein didn’t know what to do with her own arms, awkwardly hanging while Hyejin embraced her. “I’m glad you didn’t waste your money after all.”

Hyejin let go—Wheein sighed in relief— bearing a smug grin. “I told you that I would win it.”

“I remember you mentioning that it would happen on your first try.”

Hyejin rolled her eyes, waving her hand. “That’s a minor detail.” She squat down and stuck her hand inside the prize chute, revealing the toy in her hands. With a proud look on her face, she passed it onto Wheein’s hands. “For you!”

Wheein’s eyes widened in shock. “But you worked so hard for this! I can’t just take it.” She attempted to give it back to Hyejin, but she gently pushed it against Wheein’s chest.

“Of course you can,” Hyejin said nonchalantly. “Why do you think I tried so hard? For a stuffed lion?”

Wheein’s cheeks flushed. “Oh. Thank you, Hyejin.”

“No problem.” Hyejin stretched. “Now that’s done, let’s move on to the next game!” She pumped her fists in the air, already hurrying to the air hockey table. The manager told her to slow down, power walking along with the cameraman.

Wheein gazed at Hyejin’s retreating figure, thinking. She hugged the plushie to her chest, smiling.

______________________________________________________________________________

Wheein was nervous. Hyejin sat next to Wheein, flipping through the catalog, one leg crossed over the other. She tucked a few strands of hair behind her ear, hair that stuck out of her short ponytail.

“Maybe I should sit out,” Wheein said. “Let you do your thing.”

Hyejin glanced up from the song list, raising an eyebrow. “Why? When we sang here during our middle school years, I thought you were really good. Amazing, actually.”

Wheein shrugged. “I mean, you’re singing for a living now, while I decided to pursue art. There’s going to be an alarming difference of skills there.”

Rolling her eyes, Hyejin set the book to the side. “Picking up a paintbrush instead of a microphone doesn’t make you tonedeaf all of a sudden.”

Wheein frowned, looking to the side. “I guess that’s true.”

Hyejin’s gaze softened and she patted Wheein’s shoulder. “I’m not going to force you, Wheein. But you don’t have to be anxious about this. This isn’t some competition, it’s for fun.” She took the microphone from the table. “If you want, I can sing first.”

Wheein wrung her hands together. “If that’s fine with you.”

Hyejin beamed, standing up as she punched the code she wanted in the microphone’s keypad. The beginning of a piano chord began to softly play, Wheein recognizing with a smirk that it was “Stay” by Rihanna. Of course she’d pick a Rihanna song.

However, Wheein’s amusement was replaced with awe as Hyejin let out the first note. Just as always, Wheein was entranced by Hyejin’s voice.

When Hyejin sang, people immediately knew that she loved it more than anything. It was one of the few things Hyejin took seriously. Her face was calm, her eyes closed, as she sang and it was so unlike her usual demeanor. But she sang passionately nonetheless. Hyejin was beautiful nonetheless.

Wheein smiled, glad that Hyejin was living her dream as a singer. It would have been a crime to restrain Hyejin from doing what she loved.

Hyejin eye’s fluttered open as the piano died down, checking Wheein’s reaction. “Well? What did you think?”

Wheein nodded, as if reaching a conclusion to her internal argument. “ I should have gone first,” she lamented.

Hyejn laughed, placed over her chest. “Do you still not want to sing?”

Wheein sighed. “No, I’ll do it since you did.” She opened her hand and Hyejin passed the microphone to her as Wheein scanned through the song choices. She decided she would sing a ballad as well, since the concept of belting out a rock song after her friend sang a somber love song seemed inappropriate.

She got on her feet as she entered the code, her hands clutching the microphone tightly as the music began to play. It was “Memories of the Wind” by NAUL. She turned to Hyejin, who gave her an encouraging grin and thumbs up. Wheein smiled back, focusing her attention on the monitor.

Wheein was always hesitant when it came to ballads. The music was the singer’s support rather than the partner, only meant to highlight their abilities. Every mistake she made would be hard to ignore. She was afraid to go too slow, go too fast, fumble over the lyrics.

Our trust, our love, the eternal promises.” The lyrics were supposed to be beautiful, the notes were supposed to be high. Wheein wondered if she was executing the song well and glanced at Hyejin. And then she realized that she shouldn’t have done that because Hyejin’s proud look made Wheein feel like she was drowning all over again.

Her voice didn’t waver, but her eyes threatened to water. All of a sudden, Wheein took the song to heart.  

She didn’t realize the song ended until Hyejin interrupted her thought, giving her a standing ovation. The manager and cameraman were clapping as well, mouths opened wide.

“That was great, Wheein!”

Wheein gulped. “Thank you.” She still felt overwhelmed, the rain rising until it reached the top of Wheein’s head, completely taking her.

______________________________________________________________________________

Hyejin held Wheein’s hand as they hurried inside the photobooth. Instead of being dragged by Hyejin’s pulling, Wheein’s feet were light for once as she ran with her friend.

“Are you sure your manager won’t mind that we’re using this?” Wheein asked, closing the red velvet curtains as Hyejin took a seat.

Hyejin scoffed. “Waiting a few minutes while we take photos isn’t going to kill them. Besides, I want to have something to commemorate this day.”

“If you say so, scoot over.” Wheein moved her hand in a swatting motion, Hyejin scooching over and allowing Wheein to take a seat. She inserted a bank note into the slot, pressing the green button. “Which filter should we do?”

Hyejin hummed, scrolling through the choices on the monitor. She pressed a button that made the white background behind them turn into flowers, earning an amused snort from Wheein.

“So girly,” Wheein commented.

“I’ll fix that, hold on.” Hyejin dragged a unkempt beard icon to Wheein’s face, topping it off with a CG effect where cigarette smoke emitted from her. “See? Now it balances it out.”

Wheein threw her head back, laughing. Taking that as a challenge, Wheein adorned Hyejin with a beard and contrasting pink cheeks. “Woah, how scary. It’s like looking at a mirror.”

Hyejin bumped her shoulder against Wheein’s, wearing a faux grimace. Wheein stuck her tongue at her and Hyejin’s face cracked into a smile.

It was like they were in middle school again, their mouths starting to hurt and tears blurring their vision as they cracked up over the random combinations they created.

Backs against each other, keeping each other close in an embrace, holding a peace sign— the two did various poses as the booth recorded these moments. When they were done and the photos were being processed, their breathing was erratic and the atmosphere was comfortable. Familiar.

As Wheein’s laughter began to die down, she clutched at her aching stomach and turned to Hyejin. A giggle was still bubbling out of Hyejin’s mouth, her eyes narrowed and her smile bright and honest. Wheein felt her heart thump vigorously. It was out of endearment. Wheein’s stomach dropped then, remembering what she forgot earlier. Then her heart thumped in her chest out of realization, then panic.

For just a moment, Wheein acted as if they never went their separate ways. For just a moment, Wheein forgot that there was something wrong. For just a moment, Wheein opened up to Hyejin again, wishing the day wouldn’t end just like every other memory. No. What am I doing?

“Hey… Wheein.”

Wheein’s eyes widened at the sound of her voice, but masked up her dismay before directing her attention at Hyejin. “What is it?”

Hyejin opened to say something, but stopped before she could form any words. Instead, she stared at Wheein, her eyes hazy. Wheein couldn’t recall Hyejin ever looking at her so intensely. “H— Hyejin?”

Wheein’s face was hot, she knew. It didn’t help that she felt like she was being suffocated in the booth, too aware of how her leg was touching Hyejin’s.

She didn’t reply, gently placing her hand over Wheein’s. Hey eyes fluttered shut and she leaned forward.

Wheein’s breath hitched. On instinct, she felt herself retreating bit by bit as Hyejin’s face grew closer. The rain was overwhelming, the memories were overwhelming, this was overwhelming. Wheein couldn’t let herself be this careless. Not again.

______________________________________________________________________________

Hyejin’s lips met paper and her eyebrows scrunched up. She opened her eyes and Wheein brought the photos to cover her own face. “Our photos turned out better than I thought! W— What do you think Hyejin?”

She frowned, confused. Hyejin was about to retort, ask Wheein what that was just now, make a joke about Wheein’s reaction. But then she noticed the slight tremor in Wheein’s fingertips. And then she noticed that the photo was covering Wheein’s eyes and not her smile for a reason.

This was Wheein’s way of asking her to pretend this never happened. Begging.

Hyejin pulled her hand away from Wheein’s and brought it closer to herself. Hyejin gritted her teeth and her eyes started to burn. Before rain fell however, Hyejin yanked the photo from Wheein’s grip. Hyejin stared at their smiling faces before stepping out of the photo booth and leaving Wheein inside.

She screwed up, she screwed everything up. Hyejin’s exhale was uneven and she tilted her head back against the booth. Of course, she thought bitterly. When she thought everything might go back to how it used to be, Hyejin took their relationship for granted. Again.

“Hyejin?” She heard her manager call out. “Are you two done? We need to see for the video.”

Hyejin took a moment to compose herself before rounding the corner with a smile on her face. It didn’t falter when she saw that Wheein was out of the booth as well. Hyejin directed all her attention to the camera, refusing to tear her eyes away to glance at Wheein’s face.

“We look cute, don’t we?” Hyejin held the picture next to her face, posing. She bickered with the cameraman, defending her use of sparkling backgrounds the man insisted was “excessive and gaudy.”

She thumbed the back of the photo, detecting a crease in the middle so it could be separated into two. Hyejin tore along the line, her fingers delicate, and looked at the two copies. “Here.” She extended one of the copies to Wheein.

Wheein stared at her hand and then back at Hyejin, conflicted. She took the photo, careful not to crush it in her hands. Their fingers didn’t brush. Hyejin noticed.

“I think we should head back before it gets too late.” Wheein nodded.

Hyejin’s manager didn’t point out her rare silence. She probably believed that she was drained from buzzing around the arcade all day. In a way, she was right.

Hyejin snatched the umbrella from the rack, her mind wandering.

“Are you sure you looked hard enough?”

“I checked three times! I’m telling you someone took our umbrella.”

Hyejin blinked rapidly, swiveling her head to witness two young girls fussing nearby. A wave of nostalgia coursed through her when she saw them, but she couldn’t decipher the exact reason why.

One of the middle school girls saw Hyejin observing them and her face flushed. “How are we supposed to get home?” she hissed. “Your parents are going to be pissed if we come home soaking wet.”

“We could steal an umbrella for ourselves,” the other girl suggested.

“But then someone else will be in the same situation as us!”

“Why are you mad at me? It’s not my fault that our umbrella got stolen.”

“I’m not mad I—”

Hyejin tapped on the girl’s shoulder with the tip of her umbrella, causing the duo to flinch and face her. “Here, take mine.”

“Are you sure?” The girl’s voice was hesitant, but took the umbrella from Hyejin nonetheless. “How are you going to get home then?”

Hyejin pointed behind her, attentive to Wheein’s curiosity toward the younger girls as well. “My friend luckily brought one for us to share.”

The girls brightened up. “Thank you so much!” They bowed, immediately opening the umbrella and exiting the building with all smiles.

When the girls left, their contagious happiness followed them and Hyejin was left behind, her face sullen. She turned to look at Wheein. “Do you have room for one more?”

Wheein focused her gaze to anywhere that wasn’t Hyejin. She bit her lip before nodding. “Yeah,” she whispered.

The walk home was as quiet as it was in the beginning of the day. Hyejin wondered if Wheein was telling the truth when she said the lack of sleep was the reason for her silence, Hyejin wondered if Wheein was tired of her. She questioned if Wheein told the truth at all.

Despite that, the distance killed Hyejin. She yearned to bump her shoulder against Wheein, hold the umbrella too so her fingers would briefly touch Wheein’s. But she knew Hyejin ruined her chance from that ever happening and gave Wheein the space she wanted. As a consequence, Hyejin failed to pick up on her shoulder becoming drenched until they arrived at Wheein’s front door.

Wheein unlocked the door and passed the umbrella to Hyejin. “You can return it later, if you want.”

Hyejin nodded.

“Do you want to come inside? Do you want coffee or tea before you go home?”

Hyejin thought about it for a moment, but knew it was a bad idea. She shook her head.

“Okay…” Wheein looked down, wondering what else there was to say.

Hyejin smiled around the cameras long enough to know how to form one without it appearing forced. “Bye Wheein.” She turned and made her way down the cobblestone steps.

“Wait.” Wheein grabbed Hyejin’s hand. “I need to ask you a question before you go.”

Hyejin blinked, surprised that Wheein initiated the contact. It was then Hyejin realized that she was the one to start the skinship every other time this vacation while Wheein played along. Hyejin glanced at Wheein. “What is it?”

Wheein gulped. “My mom wanted to know who was coming to your house for the Lunar New Year.”

“Besides me and parents, my two sisters are coming over. Why?”

Wheein rubbed the back of her head. “My mom told me to tell you that she wants you and your family to celebrate with us, if you want to of course.”

Hyejin watched Wheein’s face. “Do you want me to?”

Wheein’s eyes widened the slightest bit at the question. Not breaking eye contact with Hyejin, she slowly withdrew her hand and let it fall to her side. The rain behind Hyejin fell with more force.

Wheein’s smile didn’t reach her eyes. “You should come.” And with that, Wheein backed further into her house and softly shut the front door.

Hyejin stared at the door for a moment, as if waiting. She sighed and closed her eyes. Refusing to allow rain to cascade down her face, she pressed her fingertips against her eyelids.

____________________________________________

[Author's Note:] Hi guys! I'm sorry I updated really late I got sick over the weekend and could only sleep until I got better. Thank you everyone that's been so patient with me! I'm looking forward to uploading the next chapter and sharing it with you guys. Anyway, for the karaoke scene the songs they sang are actually based on covers they did! Here are the links:
 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJDvpiBCbl8 (Hwasa's cover of Stay)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TapX6DbCeos (Wheein's cover of Memories of the Wind)

P.S. I edited the previous chapters, but it wasn't anything major. I just changed Moonbyul's name to Byulyi because I realized it was weird if I called everyone by their real name while she was the only one to be referred with her stage name.