Goodbye

My Hometown

 

The night was young and the sun was gone, now replaced by the countless constellations that Myung-Hee used to gaze at with her father and brother. However, Myung-Hee wasn’t searching for Orion, Cygnus, nor the Ursa Major. She stared up at the sky with her arms crossed against the metal railing of her balcony, as if waiting. The moon was bright, but not enough to distract her from the light from her phone as it rung.

She answered the call and held the phone to her ear, not bothering to look at the screen. She already knew.

“Hi,” Wheein said hesitantly.

There was a moment of silence from Myung-Hee. It wasn’t heavy, it wasn’t resentful, it wasn’t bitter. It was accepting. She smiled. “Hi.”

For the first time since the break started since Wheein left for Jeonju— since Myung-Hee’s confession, Wheein’s laugh was honest. It wasn’t the laugh that she forced out whenever she tried to forget. It was genuine.

When Wheein was in Jeonju, Myung-Hee’s heart twinged because she knew that the sound would diminish when the call ended. Now, Myung-Hee’s heart went back to fluttering because that was the very sound she fell for. That night Myung-Hee came to cheer her up, the first time Wheein opened up and laughed with her over nothing, Myung-Hee was a goner.

She was content with listening to Wheein talk about her day forever.

But Myung-Hee knew that wasn’t why she called her. She knew Wheein too well. Myung-Hee decided to help Wheein out, to help her tell the truth. “Wheein,” Myung-Hee spoke before Wheein could reply. “I’m getting rejected, aren’t I?”

Myung-Hee thought that there was no reason for Wheein to feel remorse, but she felt it anyway. “I’m sorry.”

The sound of crickets chirping reached Myung-Hee’s ears. She heard the leaves shuddering in the breeze. The stars seemed to dim and so did her expression. She sighed, closing her eyes as her head lowered. Her smile didn’t waver, but it stayed for a different reason. “It’s okay.”

“You mean a lot to me, Myung-Hee.”

“I know.”

“I never saw you as a replacement,” Wheein said worriedly.

“You wouldn’t do something like that,” Myung-Hee agreed in an instant.  

Not knowing what else to say— if there even was anything, Wheein was silent despite not wanting to end the conversation there.

Myung-Hee was warm in spite of the breeze. “Can I ask you a question, Wheein?”

“Of course, anything you need.”

There was a lump in and Myung-Hee almost stopped herself. She knew the answer to the question caught in . She sighed. Might as well get over it. “Did things work out for you and Hyejin?”

There was a brief silence from Wheein. Rather than hesitating, Myung-Hee was aware that Wheein was remembering. “Yeah,” she breathed. “I ended up telling her the truth and it— it went well. Just like you said it would.”

“Well,” Myung-Hee drawled out, supporting her phone with her cheek as she stretched her arms. “I'm happy for you.” It was the truth. “It would've been horrible if our vacation ended with two broken hearts.”

Wheein gasped from the other line, causing Myung-Hee to freeze. “Y-you knew?” she asked in a small voice.

“Huh?” Myung-Hee went back to properly holding her phone, one eyebrow raised. “You honestly thought I didn’t?”

Wheein didn’t respond. Myung-Hee blinked, realizing.

She laughed, stepping away from the railing as she clutched at her stomach. “God, you’re such a jerk!” Wheein whined.

Myung-Hee wiped away her tears. “I swear, y-you’re—”  She muffled the last of her cackles with one hand. “You’re so cute.”

The other girl merely huffed, most likely rolling her eyes.

Taking in a deep breath, Myung-Hee sighed and grinned softly. “I knew you were in love with her for a while,” she admitted. “Ever since you decided to tell me why you wanted to avoid Hyejin in the first place. I thought that you two had a big argument or something, but the real reason why was far from that.” Her face changed then, biting her lip as she looked down at her feet.

She remembered the moment quite clearly: the way the moon illuminated her room, the way she felt like she was face to face with Wheein despite being miles apart. The way Wheein’s voice shuddered as she whispered, “I don’t want to hold her back. I want to forget about her because I know she’ll eventually do the same. She should forget about me.” The way Myung-Hee wanted to reach out to hug her— comfort her, but realized that she couldn’t. The way she realized that even if she was with Wheein, it wouldn’t make her feel better.

Wheein was quiet while Myung-Hee rambled on. It was her turn to listen to Myung-Hee’s worries. “I thought… I thought you were being ridiculous. I wondered what made you think that you were taking advantage of Hyejin by just being with her, by just missing her? You were her best friend after all, it was natural.” She paused, but it wasn’t out of hesitation. “And then I realized without you having to tell me. You were in love with her. No, you are in love with her…I knew then it was only a matter of time before I was rejected.”

“Oh,” Wheein said. Myung-Hee played with her fingers, letting the truth sink in. “Are you okay, Myung-Hee?”

Myung-Hee shrugged. “Why wouldn’t I be?”

“Because of what you said just now,” Wheein muttered.

“I was bummed earlier, but not now,” she insisted. “I’m relieved knowing that things are working out for you and Hyejin.” She smirked. “And now I can do things like yell at you for being cheesy with your girlfriend and make fun of you when you’re acting extra nice around her,” she joked.

Wheein didn’t buy it. “Are you sure?”

“Well…” Myung-Hee drawled. “No. Actually, I’m going to take out my sadness on my brother by crying to him and making him watch sappy movies with me.”

“Oh my g—”

“And then I’m going to quit art and join the circus, but remember, I hate the circus. Because I hate clowns, I’ll take refuge in the North Pole instead as a humble fisherman.”

Wheein chuckled awkwardly. “Okay, I—”

“I’ll be fine, I promise,” Myung-Hee reassured. “Don’t worry about me. Focus on yourself and Hyejin right now.”

She hesitated, wondering if the other girl was lying. “If you say so,” Wheein said, letting it go. “I’ll text you later?”

Myung-Hee hummed. “Yeah, bye, Wheein.”

“Alright, goodbye Myung-Hee.” Wheein hung up and suddenly, Myung-Hee was brought back to the brisk air, back outside her house and under the stars. Her arm slowly lowered. She stared at her lockscreen. She would have to change it now.

“Yo, sis!” Before Myung-Hee could react, a young man wrapped his arm around Myung-Hee’s neck and proceeded to give her a noogie. “Why are you outside all by yourself?”

Grunting, Myung-Hee pushed at her brother’s face with no mercy. “Let go of me, you idiot!”

“Vhy ere vhou pho wuphet?” Sunggyu struggled to ask, but was incomprehensible with his squished face.

Both of them eased off and Myung-Hee sighed in relief. “Why are you here?”

“Wow, I can’t see what my sister is doing for the heck of it?” Myung-Hee shot him a look and he chuckled, his eyes narrowing at the action.

“Dad wanted me to check up on you.” He ran a hand through his tousled brown hair, his round glasses glinting and askew. He looked lankier than usual with the navy suit their father begged him to wear, otherwise he would have donned his usual button up shirt and ripped jeans for the party. “His co-workers wanted to ask you about your college experience so far.”

Myung-Hee groaned. “Gross, alright, I’ll go see them.” She walked around Sunggyu, but halted when he grabbed her arm. She turned around. “What?”

He tilted his head. “You alright?”

“Yeah, I was just getting fresh air,” Myung-Hee insisted.

Sunggyu frowned, solace written on his face.

“What?”

“I saw your lockscreen,” he confessed.

Myung-Hee flinched, directing her gaze at the ground.

“I also… heard part of your conversation. I’m sorry. You can talk to me about it though, if it’ll make you feel better.”

She didn’t lift her head. “I’m fine.”

He watched her for a short time, sighing as he finally let go of her. “Okay,” he said. “I understand.” He sauntered towards the balcony entrance. “I’ll tell dad that you’ll be inside so—”

Arms encircled his waist and he froze, aware of the sudden weight leaning against him. “Myung-Hee?” He turned his head, only making out the top of his sister’s hair.

“Don’t,” Myung-Hee’s voice was suppressed against his back. “Don’t look at me, please. Just—” Her hold on him tightened, her hands shaking. “Just be here for me.”

Sunggyu’s eyes softened, complying as he faced forward. He patted his sister’s hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. For just a moment, rain fell.




 

When Sunggyu returned to their father to tell him that Myung-Hee was feeling ill, he only wore his dress shirt and tie. His coat was casted off to hide its slightly dampened back.

______________________________________________________________________________

Wheein hacked into a coughing fit, burying herself further into her blankets until only the top half of her face was visible. Her mother settled her hand on Wheein’s forehead, disapproving when her daughter’s fever reminded her of an oven. Sighing, she dunked a towel on a small basin and let the wet rag lie on her daughter’s forehead. “Make sure you get plenty of rest, alright? There’s also some porridge on your nightstand that Hyejin’s mother and I made.”

“Thank you,” Wheein murmured.

Her mother huffed, placing both of her hands on her hips. She shook her head, glancing towards the figure lying next to her daughter. Unlike Wheein, Hyejin kicked the covers away, her leg lazily spread atop of the other girl. “What were you two thinking?” she asked. “I understand you might have been really excited for the Lunar New Year, but that doesn’t justify running in the rain!”

“Sorry, it won’t happen ag—” Wheein sneezed and then groaned in pain.

Wheein’s mother rubbed the bridge of her nose. She felt a hand on her shoulder and she blinked, looking down to see Hyejin’s mother offering her a smile. “We should let them rest now,” she suggested.

Smiling back, Wheein’s mother nodded and turned towards their children. “We’re going to the temple,” she explained. “Just stay in bed and try not to burn the house down, alright?”

Wheein grumbled something the mothers couldn’t quite understand. Hyejin’s mother giggled with a hand over and Wheein’s mother sighed. They shut the door behind them, leaving Wheein and Hyejin in silence. Wheein shut her eyes, attempting to fall asleep and not think about her stupid cough. She felt Hyejin’s leg shift, dragging away from her.

Hyejin scooted closer to Wheein, wrapping her arms around Wheein. “Good morning,” she whispered, burying her face in Wheein’s hair. Her voice was slightly hoarse.

“I thought you were going to go back to sleep,” she said, taking one of Hyejin’s hands into her own and interlacing their fingers.

“You know that feeling where that you’re so tired that you can’t actually go to sleep?”

Wheein raised an eyebrow, dropping their joined hands. She tossed in her bed, turning to face Hyejin instead. Her eyes were closed. “No, not really. That sounds pretty bad though.”

Hyejin groaned. “It is.”

Wheein only chuckled as a response. Her eyes skimmed Hyejin up and down, taking in the sight. Since nobody predicted that Hyejin would suddenly run out and into the rain, Hyejin had to find comfort in Wheein’s clothes. She was wearing an oversized black t-shirt and white shorts. A small smile creeped on Wheein’s face, basking in the warm feeling in her chest.

“You know,” Hyejin piped up and Wheein’s gaze jerked back up to focus on the other’s face. Wheein breathed a sigh of relief when she saw that Hyejin’s eyes were still shut, the former’s cheeks heating in embarrassment. “My manager is most likely going to tell Yongsun and Byulyi all about this when we get back.”

Wheein hummed. “Your group members, right?”

“Uhuh,” Hyejin said. “Knowing them, they’ll probably fuss over me and ask why I did something so stupid.” She paused, frowning. “Sorry about that, by the way. We both got sick because of me.”

“It’s okay.” Wheein laid her head against Hyejin’s collarbone. “I don’t regret following you, it’s fine now.”

“Oh. Well… I’m glad you feel that way. To be honest, I wouldn’t change a thing about last night.” She coughed and Wheein laughed, knowing from the way it sounded too loud and too forced that it came mostly from Hyejin being flustered rather than her virus.

“Anyway,” she continued, hoping to change the subject. “After those two worry about me, they’re going to make fun of me and make sure I never forget about it. It’s going to be raining one day and I bet one of them is going to be pointing outside and say, ‘make sure you wear a jacket before you go off to play.’” She scoffed. “Those jerks.”

Wheein snorted. She had a strong hunch that Hyejin would do the same if it was Yongsun or Byulyi. “You must have a close friendship with them then.”

“I mean—” Hyejin sighed in a melodramatic manner. “I guess. I’m sure you’d get along with them.”

“You should introduce me to them sometime then.”

Hyejin mulled it over. “You know what? Yeah, I’ll do that.”

A steady silence fell between them, Hyejin finding comfort in twirling strands of Wheein’s long hair around her finger. Wheein’s eyelids grew heavy and her consciousness gradually became less focused.

“Hey, Wheein?”

Wheein blinked rapidly, rubbing at her eyes. “What is it?”

“You’re going to have to leave soon, right?” Hyejin guessed. “Go back to your art school.”

Wheein’s stomach lurched, realizing that what the other girl said was true. “Yeah… and you have to go back to Seoul soon, right? Now that you finished filming for your music video?”

Hyejin nodded, pulling Wheein closer until their legs became entangled. “Right.”

Wheein frowned, wishing that she made up with Hyejin earlier so she could have appreciated their time together more. But she knew that she couldn’t change the past. Instead, she held onto the moment that she finally told the truth, held onto the now that made her realize that telling the truth was worth everything they went through.

Hyejin reached down to grasp Wheein’s hand and lifted it to press a kiss against her knuckles. “Stay with me until we have to leave?”

“Okay.”

Hyejin smiled, letting Wheein’s hand settle on the former’s cheek. “Stay with me after?”

Wheein noticed the slight concern in Hyejin’s voice. “I will, I promise.” She wouldn’t break her oath this time.

She bit her lip, clutching onto the blanket with her free hand. “I love you, Hyejin.” Though the truth in her statement wasn’t new, she still found it overwhelming to admit. Her face still warmed, her heart still pounded wildly, she still found it hard to breathe.

Hyejin didn’t respond. Wheein’s eyebrows furrowed, finally leaning back. “Hyejin?”

The girl in question slept peacefully, open and chest rising and falling with ease.

Stifling a laugh, Wheein grinned. “Too tired that you can’t go to sleep, huh?”

Wheein adjusted her position to squish her cheek against the pillow, watching Hyejin since she was no longer tired and had nothing to do. She was finally able to truly relax with her, finally be able to be honest with her, and now she would miss her all over again. Soon, she would have to go back to her dorm and sleep somewhere that wasn’t in Jeonju and in Hyejin’s arms.

At least she was looking forward to attending her classes again, specifically Mr.Choi’s. When she sat down in the lecture hall, he would always greet her with a smile and say that he was excited to look over her art project because—

“Oh my god.” Wheein’s eyes widened. “I haven’t started my art project,” she hissed. She shimmied out of Hyejin’s embrace, muttering multiple apologies when the other girl grumbled in her sleep. She placed Hyejin’s arms by her sides as Wheein successfully got out of bed.

She brought her hands up to her hair, wanting to scream but stopped herself when she spotted Hyejin hugging a pillow to her chest. Wheein paced back and forth in her room, thinking. Okay, Jung Wheein. You might not have had any idea what to paint for your project for the majority of your trip, but you can think of something and paint it decently well in the few days you have left. Yep, it’ll be a piece of cake… God, what am I going to do? Why did Mr. Choi have to give us an assignment while we were on break? He always complains about having so much to grade, but then gives us more projects! And what kind of topic is ‘Never letting go?’ What does he even mean by that?

Wheein froze, her hands slowly dropping to her sides. She turned her head to the bed and the sleeping figure. She was thinking, realizing. All of a sudden, she found the answer to her questions. She knew what she was going to paint.

She set up her easel and propped a fresh canvas against it. She took a seat, taking a deep breath as she cracked her knuckles to ready herself.

‘Never letting go.’ Back when she first tried to start her project in Jeonju, back when she couldn’t make a proper sketch in the art studio, Wheein was frustrated. She was irked because when she was coming up with ideas, one thing always came to mind. Something she decided to let go and struggled to forget for so long. With every , she remembered and had to stop herself. It wasn’t like that now.  

Picking up her brush, Wheein began to paint and didn’t hold herself back.  

______________________________________________________________________________

Hyejin stirred awake, turning and reaching out with her arm. She grumbled when her hand met the cold surface of the bed instead of the girl she was holding earlier. Opening her eyes, she sat up in the bed and glanced at the clock on the nightstand. “Yikes,” she said to herself. Her internal clock was going to be ruined by the time she came back to Seoul.

Her head shot up when she heard a click, turning just in time to witness the doorknob twisting. Wheein emerged as she opened the door, drying her hands with a small towel. Hyejin lifted an eyebrow, amused to see Wheein’s strange appearance. While her face and hands were clean, her clothes were covered with various hues.

“Oh!” Wheein beamed. “You’re awake. Just in time too.”

Hyejin yawned, stretching her arms. “In time for what?”

Wheein beckoned the girl with a wave. “I’ll show you.”

Though she was still lethargic, Hyejin smiled and obliged. She hopped off the bed, following her until they reached the end of the room. She crossed her arms over her chest, her eyebrows knitted in confusion. An easel was turned away from her, securing a painting she couldn’t see. “I know I’m not the artist here, but isn’t that facing the wrong way?”

Wheein laughed, shaking her head. “It’s on purpose, you dork. I need to give you context on the painting first.”

“Wow.” Hyejin smirked, leaning her weight on her hip. “It’s like I’m talking to a professional.”

“I know, I know,” Wheein said proudly. “Sadly for you, the applause will have to wait until after I present my work.”

Sighing, Hyejin rested a hand over her heart. “A pity really, but if I really have no other option.”

Wheein giggled, her front temporarily faltering, but contained herself and coughed into her hand. She motioned towards the hidden portrait. “The truth is the reason why I came to visit Jeonju was to find inspiration.”

“You were looking for a muse?” Hyejin assumed.

Wheein nodded. “One of my teachers assigned my class a project that was due when vacation was over. I was basically having art block, so I came here for a change of scenery.”
“Wait, you had a project due all this time and you didn’t tell me?” A flash of guilt appeared on Hyejin’s face. “I took so much of your time when we were filming though.”

“Oh, don’t worry about it!” Wheein waved her hand in dismissal, regarding her worry. “I thought wandering around Jeonju with you would help me and it did. Kind of.”

“Kind of?” she repeated.

Wheein hummed in affirmation. She glanced at her painting and it took Hyejin all her willpower to stop herself from asking Wheein to hurry up and show her what she created already.

“We were supposed to make something based on the phrase ‘Never letting go’ and…” Wheein blushed, avoiding Hyejin’s eyes. “I put all my heart into this.”

Hyejin didn’t say anything, but had an idea on what Wheein’s painting could be. “I see,” she said, her voice faltering as she restrained herself from laughing.

Sending Hyejin a glare, Wheein pouted. “Close your eyes for me.”

“What?” Hyejin groaned, tilting her head back. “Just show me what you painted! I’m dying in anticipation here.”

“Don’t be a baby, just trust me.”

Hyejin didn’t budge.

“C’mon!” Wheein complained, grabbing Hyejin’s arms and shaking them. “Please? For me?”

Hyejin stared at the face Wheein was making. She sighed. “Fine,” she grumbled and shut her eyes.

Wheein raised Hyejin’s hands, so they would cover the singer’s face. “Are you serious?” Hyejin asked.

“It’ll be worth it,” Wheein said. “I promise.” She backed away from Hyejin to move the easel. She snuck a glance at Hyejin, whose fingers were casually splaying. “I said no looking!”

“I’m not!” Hyejin complained, closing the gaps between her fingers. Damn it.

In not a moment too soon, she felt Wheein’s hand on her shoulder. “You can see it now.”

“Finally,” Hyejin said, dropping her hands and opening her eyes. “Now let’s see the masterpiece that artist Jung Wheein—”  She froze, her eyes widening and mouth agape. “Created…” she sighed, her voice trailing off.

The first thing that caught Hyejin’s eye was the transparent umbrella, reflecting the rays of the sun in a cloudless sky. There were nearby puddles in the side of the road and drops clinging to the top of the umbrella, implying that the weather became clear only recently. Then, Hyejin’s gaze dipped lower, catching the woman. Her face was mostly covered by the white light that was casted from her umbrella, but her smile was evident as she looked behind her. She was holding someone’s hand.

“Do you like it?” Wheein asked, her head bowed as she massaged the back of her neck. “I tried my best, but it was still last minute.”

Hyejin didn’t answer nor acknowledge Wheein, her eyes glued to the painting. Wheein gulped, not handling Hyejin’s unreadable expression well. “Are you upset that I covered your face?” Wheein looked back at her work, frowning. “I did it because it might’ve caused trouble since you’re famous and all. I mean I don’t see how it could, but I don’t know how the entertainment industry works so I wanted to play it safe.”

Wheein gasped. “Wait. Is it because I never asked for your permission? I was trying to make a sweet gesture and keep it a secret but…” She turned to the other girl, remorse clear on her face. “I’m sorry, I just became your girlfriend recently and I’m already messing up I—”

She was cut off when Hyejin rushed forward to envelop her in a tight hug, the former frozen as she looped her arms around the back of Wheein’s neck and head. “I love it,” Hyejin said. “I love you.” It was the truth.

Wheein felt herself melting at the words, relaxing as she wrapped her arms around Hyejin’s waist in return. “I love you too.” Hyejin’s scent reminded her of the sea, of Jeonju, of home.

They loosened their embrace and pulled away, staring at each other. Wheein grinned, her dimple showing.

“Oh?” Hyejin ran her fingers down Wheein’s arms and a jolt of electricity coursed through her spine. “Why do you look so excited?”

“I’m just really happy we can be like this now,” Wheein admitted.

Hyejin’s smile was impish. “Are you sure that’s the only reason why?”

Wheein lifted an eyebrow. “Well, I mean, I’m also really happy that you weren’t bothered with me painting you,” she said, checking off the possible feelings Hyejin could be referring to. “Also smug because I managed to finish my project despite procrastinating for most of my time off school.”

“Really?” Hyejin leaned forward until their foreheads were touching. “Because it looked like you really wanted to kiss me,” she whispered.

Wheein covered to hide the cheeky smile that spread throughout her lips. “Maybe I do,” she said. “Can I?”

Hyejin laughed softly and Wheein’s eyes grew soft. She closed her eyes, leaning forward. Her eyebrows scrunched up in confusion and disappointment when she was met with a finger instead of another pair of lips.

“I don’t know,” Hyejin teased and Wheein was immediately sullen. Hyejin took delight in her reaction. “You are sick after all.”

“You are too!” Wheein argued. “We’re not going to be sent to the emergency room for kissing once.” She paused. “Or twice,” she suggested.

Smirking, Hyejin nodded. “You have a point there.”

“Great! So can—”

“But,” Hyejin said and turned her head away. Wheein wanted to scream in frustration. “How do I know you’re not going to trick me again by rejecting me last minute?”

Wheein recoiled. “You’re not still upset about the photobooth incident, are you?”

She glanced at Wheein. “I’m never going to let you forget about that day,” Hyejin said simply.

“I kissed back when I confessed though,” Wheein shot back.

“Well, you had nothing up your sleeve then,” Hyejin said. She was making up excuses at this point.

Wheein groaned. “What do I need to do for a kiss then?”

Hyejin made a slight jab in Wheein’s chest. “You better not try to ignore all my calls and texts again because you don’t want to ‘hold me back’ or whatever,” she demanded. “If you feel insecure about something, you need to tell me about it. If not because I’m your bestfriend, then be honest because I’m your girlfriend now.”

Wheein gave a slight smile. “It’s a deal. In fact, I’ll try to text you everyday even if you find it annoying.”

“I won’t,” she persisted.

“Good…” Wheein bit her lip. “Is it okay to kiss now?” Her face heated up, embarrassed at how needy she sounded.

Instead of answering, Hyejin tugged Wheein forward by the collar to kiss her. Wheein’s eyes widened in surprise, but soon fluttered shut as she kissed back. She held onto Hyejin to keep steady, to prevent herself from drowning.

______________________________________________________________________________

The train station was bustling as people bid their farewells to their loved ones, their eyes blurred with tears. It was the same for the two families as they crowded around Wheein and Hyejin. Wheein’s mother kissed her daughter’s head repeatedly, telling her to be safe in college and call often while Wheein complained that she was going to leave a lipstick stain on her forehead. Hyejin grunted in annoyance as her father and two sisters gathered her in a hug and refused to let go.

“My baby is going far away again!” Hyejin’s father cried and brought her face closer to his own.

Hyejin grunted, struggling to free herself from her family’s grip. “Let go already!” she said. “Your stubble is itchy.”

Her father only hugged her tighter, grumbling about how cold she was being compared to how she was when she was a child. Hyejin rolled her eyes. “Mom,” she said, turning to her left. “Can you tell them to—” She stopped when she saw that her mother had her own problems, embraced by the supposedly professional cameraman and manager.

“We’re going to miss you so much!” The cameraman sobbed into her shoulder, having to kneel slightly to reach her height. The manager nodded in agreement, looking devastated. Hyejin was mortified to see the usually serious woman all choked up. Are you sure you’re not just going to miss her food?

Hyejin’s mother only smiled, patting their heads. “Make sure to take care of yourselves,” she said.

A ding echoed through the station and the families finally let go of the two girls. The cameraman and manager stepped inside and the two girls followed suit, but stopped to look back at their families.

“Make sure to visit again soon,” Hyejin’s mother said, holding onto her husband’s arm.

Hyejin interlaced her fingers with Wheein, giving it a squeeze. “Don’t worry,” she reassured. “We’ll be back soon. You won’t even notice that we left.”

Wheein glimpsed at Hyejin, aware that she said that not only to convince her family, but to convince herself. She gripped Hyejin’s hand tighter. “Goodbye,” the duo said to their families. The metal doors began to close and the two parties waved at each other until the train moved on and they were out of sight.

Hyejin sighed and turned to Wheein with a small smile. “Let’s go sit down,” she said.

Wheein nodded and led them to their seats across from the manager and cameraman. Hyejin’s manager glanced down at the girls’ adjoined hands and then met Wheein’s eyes. The older woman smiled knowingly.

Eventually, Wheein would need to step out of the train and leave Hyejin for college once more. They decided without needing to say anything that they would hold onto each other until then.

Wheein blinked, suddenly remembering the day she reunited with Hyejin. She rummaged inside her satchel bag, hoping she didn’t lose it.

“What’s up?” Hyejin asked, amused as she watched her.

Wheein beamed when she found what she was looking for, taking out the phone charms. She offered them to Hyejin. “Pick one,” she urged.

Hyejin scanned the choices, one shaped like a paintbrush while the other one resembled a musical note. She happily took the first trinket. Wheein didn’t voice her opinion, but was glad that she had the musical novelty for herself.

“It’ll be a reminder that we’ll always be there for each other,” Wheein said. “And that we’re never truly alone.”

“So sappy,” Hyejin teased. “I love it though, thank you, Wheein.”

“You’re welcome.” Wheein snuck a glance across from her. The cameraman was sleeping and the manager left for the bathroom. There weren’t many passengers on this particular train. “Hyejin, can we—”

As if she already knew what Wheein was going to ask, Hyejin closed her eyes and waited with a smile lingering on her lips.

Wheein smiled back, her stomach twisting. Her eyes fluttered shut and she leaned forward.

It didn’t matter if the weather was clear or filled with the impending rain. It didn’t matter if they were in Jeonju or miles apart. They were never letting go of each other.

 


End

----------------------
[Author's Note]: Thank you everyone who has decided to read my story! From the upvotes, to the subscribers (like more than 100 I still can't believe it), to the comments, and to the people that just stumbled upon this fic one day, you've all encouraged me to keep at this story even in moments when I was feeling down. This is a big accomplishment for me because it's the first time I've ever officially finished a multi-chapter story. Again, I am very grateful and look forward to hearing your guys' opinions when I release more stories. Have a great rest of the day :)