Seven Years

And Then There Was You

As his parents began clearing the table, Chanyeol took another shot of the drink in front of him. Yoora did the same, though less forcibly, watching her younger brother look almost too distracted to notice the way she had been staring at him for the last five minutes.

The silence between them was only broken when Sehun got off the floor and pushed the blinds at the front of the house upwards, peering outside into the night. Frowning, Yoora released Chanyeol from her gaze and darted her eyes towards her son.

“Sehun, what’re you doing?”

“You didn’t let me play with Kyungsoo today,” the seven year old muttered in response. “His dad’s picking him up now…”

Chanyeol perked. He turned around and left the table, Yoora following after. “Who’s picking him up?”

“His dad?” Sehun repeated as if confused by the fact that he had to clarify again. “See?”

“Chanyeol--”

Ignoring his sister, Chanyeol stood beside Sehun and pressed his forehead against the glass, peering out the window. Squinting his eyes, he tried to see the two figures underneath the dim streetlight and though it took a while, Chanyeol eventually made out a familiar face looking over to hold a child’s hand.

Without thinking, he left the window and unlocked the door. Before Yoora could even think to intervene, he threw it open and stared out, only moving slightly to the right when Sehun nudged him for space.

“Kyungsoo!” Sehun yelled out, cupping his hands to his mouth. “Bye!”

Chanyeol watched as the child he saw before, Kyungsoo, gave a small, but short wave as he was being picked up by his dad and settled into his seat. He said nothing, seeing as how the latter before him wasn’t too keen on interacting with him at all.

“Bye, Baekhyun!”

Kicking the stand off the bike, Baekhyun (Chanyeol was slightly annoyed how Sehun never said his last name, which would’ve hinted at the man’s marital status) waved back, giving the seven year old the missing grin that Kyungsoo had not given. He looked different from what Chanyeol could remember, but at the same time, he looked so unchanged. Granted that it might’ve been the poor lighting and the night making his ex-boyfriend seem that way, but Chanyeol just knew despite the circumstances.

The two rode away without Baekhyun saying a word or stopping by to greet him. Chanyeol had been gone for so many years, it would’ve been common courtesy to stop by and say hello, but for some reason, that wasn’t the case. Baekhyun didn’t seem like he wanted to talk at all, and despite their break up being on good terms, the latter acted as if talking to him would’ve been an absolute nightmare.

Then again, maybe talking to him wasn’t an option. If what Chanyeol had been thinking about was right, then Kyungsoo was Baekhyun’s kid. The brunet must’ve been embarrassed. He was only twenty-five with a kid in tow already. And was he even married? The thought brought a burning sensation in Chanyeol’s throat. It might’ve been from unresolved feelings for his first and only serious love, but he didn’t have enough time to linger about it.

Yoora reached out and touched him by the arm. “He already left. There’s no reason for you to keep staring out the door, dummy.”

“I know, but…” Chanyeol pursed his lips, mouth drawn into a line. “Kyungsoo… He’s Baekhyun’s.”

It wasn’t a question. It was a statement.

Responding, Yoora nodded. “Yeah.”

“Then who’s Kyungsoo’s other father?”

For a moment, she was silent, but the tension between them grew and eventually, she said, “Baekhyun doesn’t know, Chanyeol.”

A chill ran through Chanyeol’s body as he turned to her. “What do you mean by that?”

“What do you think I mean?”

Chanyeol didn’t want to think about it periodas the thought of Baekhyun’s promiscuity only gave him bitter feelings. Jealousy? He denied the possibility.

His expression caught Yoora’s attention, amusing her despite his unhappiness at her teaseful play. “If you don’t like Kyungsoo because of what he means, then you shouldn’t have broken up with his dad,” she said, almost singing the words.

Rolling his eyes, Chanyeol shut the door. “You know, you’re really annoying.”

“As are you.”

“And for your information, he’s the one who broke it off with me for whatever reason that he had.”

“You were probably being an .”

“Maybe. I don’t know...”

-

-

As Chanyeol expected, much of the (little) excitement he held for visiting his hometown was diminished quickly and without much to entertain him, he left the house mid-afternoon. Walking down the roads and the small pathways, making room for the small old women walking in the opposite direction, felt odd. He felt like an outsider in his own childhood home, but though that was something that he was uncomfortable with, Chanyeol found that he didn’t mind it much.

There were occasionally people who recognized him and asked about his life in the city, commenting on how older and mature he looked, so “well-dressed and clean” compared to their own appearance and apparels--material gestures that Chanyeol felt slightly guilty for accepting, knowing full well that the majority of the people around him would never amount to the same wealth status he sat comfortably on.

Many faces approached him and drifted by but there was one face that Chanyeol couldn’t get off his mind though he tried time and time again to think of another matter. It was useless, however. The look of the young boy’s face was lingering strong in Chanyeol’s mind, and the shadowy figure of Baekhyun’s presence was haunting, but it also sparked a curious interest.

It was only halfway through the small town that Chanyeol realized he was walking in the direction of the gray and tired building of his old elementary school, but that didn’t stop his legs from continually moving toward the landmark. Never did it really cross his mind that he was being an odd intruder just by standing near the fenced perimeter of the school, watching the kids play out their excess energy on the structures. The hunchback teachers--both the kind old ones and the ones that Chanyeol used to find a bit prude and mean--knew who he was considering how he was always the problematic child up until he was old enough to enter junior high, therefore ridding him from the hands of the ones who didn’t want him in their tiny class. With that being given, the people at the school were more likely to welcome him than to call the only local sheriff on call in that tiny village.

With his hands stuffed in his pocket, he scanned the playground, eyes immediately darting towards the larger group of older kids playing tag near the structures, but Chanyeol was never able to spot Kyungsoo, or any kid that even resembled the little kid for a moment. For a second, he found himself disappointed in that he couldn’t find him, but when he turned his head away from the large crowd and in the direction of sparsely scattered children opposite of where he had focused, he saw Kyungsoo alongside his own nephew.

In a way, it kind of surprised him. From what he heard from his sister and parents, Sehun was a well-socialized child, often playing with others and never truly isolated from others his age, but there he was, on the grass with tiny toy trucks in his hands, far from the others.

All Chanyeol wanted was to be alone, to let his curiosity boil and simmer down, but he was forcibly brought into socialization the moment Sehun raised his head and noticed his uncle standing near the fences. After whispering something to Kyungsoo, the seven year old rose from the ground, grabbing the latter’s hand and pulling him up with him.

Chanyeol had no time to move or walk away, thinking it’d be awkward, not to mention the fact that Sehun would most likely mention him to his mother. Either way, Chanyeol needed to explain what he was doing there in the first place, so he figured he might as well try and build a reason rather than to leave the boy mysteriously hanging.

“Uncle?” Sehun called out, rushing to the fence where Chanyeol lingered hesitantly. Kyungsoo maintained his best in keeping up. “What’re you doing here? It’s not time to go home yet.”

The boy had mistaken his reason for being there. Smiling, Chanyeol leaned against the rickety old faded fence, tilting his head at the two. “I was just taking a walk around this old place. It’s been so long since I’ve been here.”

“Oh.” Sehun blinked before remembering that he had pulled Kyungsoo along with him. Lighting up, he gestured over to the boy. It was apparent that he was more than thrilled to introduce his gift-bearing uncle to a friend. “This is Kyungsoo. He’s my best friend and he practically lives next door!”

“Is that right?” Chanyeol said softly as he turned his eyes to Kyungsoo who stared back at him with gentle, blank eyes. “Your grandparents are Mr. and Mrs. Byun, yes?”

Kyungsoo never had the chance to answer. Not too far away from them, the school teacher on site because calling the kids in, meaning their playtime was over. Not that it mattered, however. Chanyeol had the gut feeling that the boy had no intention of talking to him, let alone answer his question.

Taking the situation as it was, he pursed his lips together and gave the kids a small wave of good-bye. “I guess it’s time to go in, huh?”

Sehun nodded. Tugging on Kyungsoo’s hand once again, the boy cocked his head over to the teacher who was starting to begin roll call. “Come on, Soo.”

Chanyeol watched as they made their way back to the other children, his eyes fixated on Sehun’s friend. There was a feeling inside of him that wanted to know so many things about Kyungsoo. He had questions that needed to be answered, and yet, he was conflicted.

Whoever Kyungsoo was, why did it matter so much to him? If he really was Baekhyun’s son, so what?

He had no right to be curious, and he knew that.

Chanyeol forced himself to look away and start walking once again. It felt like he present in the physical world anymore. He didn’t know where his legs were taking him, but he didn’t fight it. Past all the old buildings and shabby homes, he eventually reached the small sea port where the local fishermen kept their modest boats and the daily catches were sold at the market.

At first glance, it seemed as if it was just another usual day in the village with the older seniors arguing and buying things needed for meals later that night, but just as he was about to turn his attention away and continue his walk, he stopped. Baekhyun’s face stuck out to him as if Chanyeol’s field of vision had suddenly narrowed on the brunet who was speaking with three ladies, negotiating a sale.

Chanyeol stood on higher grounds compared to the market which was located near boat docks. There wasn’t a possibility in the entire world for Baekhyun to see him unless his turned to his left and looked up the pathway to the main path. The musician couldn’t help but stare at his former flame.

When they were younger, Baekhyun had such hopes of attending college, which went against what was usually expected of the youth at the time. Their friends had all wanted to start working as soon as possible in order to help feed their families. Many took on fishing.

Baekhyun had other dreams. He wanted to get away from the rural parts as much as Chanyeol did, and yet… There he was. Selling vegetables in the village he had sworn to leave.

The feeling inside his chest wasn’t pity. Chanyeol didn’t know what it was.

He turned his back and started walking once more, drowning in the smell of the ocean.

-

-

Catching a glimpse of his ex was not as terrifying as his mind convinced him that it’d be. At least, that was how Baekhyun felt when he thought back to the night before. However, maybe it was the cover night that lessened the blow of whatever feelings would’ve ensued if it had been in broad daylight. Part of him was relieved that the man couldn’t see his face properly with only the moonlight and the streetlight to his aid, but at the same time, Baekhyun couldn’t make out his reactions either, and the curiosity was biting at him no less.

Biking past his ex-boyfriend’s house was an ease before he came back. The fact that this time around the sun was still out and barely setting made it more nerve wracking than the night before. There was nothing Baekhyun could do in terms of hiding his face, and even if he did, he knew he’d look slightly stupid and too hard-trying if he were ever to attempt such a thing. Briskly, he swallowed his pride and returned back to reality, biking passively past the Parks’ resident without glancing to see if he was being watched. Usually, he took his time walking up to his parents’ home, but for some reason, Baekhyun’s body wouldn’t allow him to feel at ease. Something seemed off and it had something to do with the neighbors’ son.

Sighing, he kicked the stand down and set the bicycle against the fence before letting himself on the property. It took effort to avoid turning his head in the neighbor’s direction, but Baekhyun managed, successfully knocking on the door. He stood silently, waiting for the door to open. It took longer than usual for his mother to greet him, but the louder Baekhyun could hear her voice, the more he realized that they might’ve had company.

The door opened in the midst of his thoughts, startling Baekhyun for a split second before the face of his mother rendered in his mind. Words didn’t have time to slip past his lips, however. It took no longer than his mother’s greeting for his eyes to notice the figure standing behind her.

The voice of his mother was drowned by the sound of his own heart pounding in his ear and what was only a few seconds felt like an eternity too long. Baekhyun swallowed, noticing how simple yet hard it was to do, especially since he had those dark piercing eyes on him again like they knew something about him that they weren’t supposed to know. When he realized his mother had stopped speaking, he smiled, attempting to cover up the panicked thoughts running across his mind, but he was already aware that his mother knew how he felt.

“Baekhyun.”

Trying his best, Baekhyun nodded in Chanyeol’s direction before moving away from the door to approach him. They stood awkwardly for a moment before Chanyeol offered out a hand, but the formality hurt. Switching into auto-pilot, the brunet sighed and pulled the latter into a hug, brief, but still warm.

“It’s been a long time since I’ve seen you, Chanyeol,” Baekhyun said light-heartedly as he pulled away. Looking up at the giant brought a sense of nostalgia pulling on the strings of feelings that had long passed its due. “How’ve you been?”

“I’ve been fine.” Chanyeol paused, leaving them in blank silence as he stared straight into the brunet’s eyes. Then, sighing, he turned his body half way to gesture to the living room. “I came by to say hi to your parents since it really has been a while… More like years, actually, but, you know how it was for me.”

Baekhyun understood more than others how Chanyeol’s schedule was, so he couldn’t fault him the lack of visits back home. “I know, but it’s good that you have time to visit now.”

Chuckling, Chanyeol shook his head for a second before looking back at Baekhyun’s face. “Actually, this entire trip vacation wasn’t really my idea.”

Raising his brows, Baekhyun blinked. “No?”

“No. It was Yoora’s.”

“So, you don’t actually want to be here?” Baekhyun said, giving his voice a slightly teasing tone. “I get it. You’d rather be somewhere tropical where it doesn’t look like it’s going to rain every day.”

“You make me sound arrogant.”

“But am I wrong?”

Chanyeol stared for a second before rolling his eyes, exaggerating a sigh as looked off. “You’ve changed a bit, Byun Baekhyun. What happened to the kid who…”

Following where Chanyeol’s eyes were locked to, Baekhyun realized why the giant had trailed off. Carrying a small box filled with food his grandmother had given him, Kyungsoo quietly slipped his fingers in between Baekhyun’s own without saying a single word.

It felt like time had stood still. Chanyeol’s gaze on Kyungsoo never faltered, and Baekhyun could do nothing but hold his son’s hand a little tighter. Taking in a quiet breath, the brunet turned his attention away from his watching ex and knelt down, taking the box from the six year old’s hand.

“Ready to go home?” At Kyungsoo’s nod, Baekhyun grinned. “Okay. We’ll go home soon.”

“Baekhyun,” Chanyeol said in soft voice that still demanded that the brunet look back up at him. And he did. “Who’s this?”

Giving the giant a neutral look, Baekhyun pushed on his knees and stood back up. “I think you already know the answer to that, Chanyeol. I’m almost certain that you’ve figured it out by now… That or someone told you. Either way, it doesn’t matter, really.”

“I didn’t know you got married.”

Baekhyun laughed, knowing all too well how the statement was nothing more than just a wait, but he let his ex have it. “I’m not married, Chanyeol.” When he saw the giant start to ask another question, he added, “I’m not divorced either.”

“I wasn’t going to ask.”

“Right,” Baekhyun replied, giving a quiet snort before turning his eyes down on Kyungsoo. “Have you been introduced to him yet, Soo?”

Chanyeol watched, slightly amused at the way Baekhyun’s tone suddenly changed. He really sounded like...a parent.

Giving a small nod, Kyungsoo responded. Chanyeol’s eyes darted back to the brunet’s face, wondering if the child’s silent response was enough for him. Surprisingly, it was enough.

With a soft exhale of breath, Baekhyun put his hand on the child’s back and raised his eyes back to his ex. “This is Mr. Park. He lives next door. Yoora’s younger brother and Sehun’s uncle.”

Waving slightly awkwardly at the boy, Chanyeol tried his best to appear seemingly friendly. From his experience, he was never great with children. For some reason, kids were always afraid of him unless they were teenagers who listened to his old music or radio show. In that case, then they loved him, but in that moment, standing in front of Baekhyun’s son, Chanyeol was unsure of himself. It didn’t help that Kyungsoo was completely expressionless, giving him no indication of whether or not he should stop attempting to smile.

Chanyeol held out his hand the second he realized he should’ve said something right after Baekhyun. “Hello...there.” It was a rough beginning. “You don’t have to call me Mr. Park. Chanyeol’s fine. Kyungsoo, right?”

Silence.

Pursing his lips, Chanyeol retracted his hand slowly after being left in the open by the boy who did nothing but stare at it. Looking back at Baekhyun, he quirked his lips into an unsure expression. “Should I be concerned that he’s not talking or…?”

“He’s just shy, Chanyeol,” Baekhyun replied with a harsh slash in his tone that caught the other man off guard. “There’s nothing wrong with him so, no. You shouldn’t be concerned.”

“I didn’t mean it like that, Baek.”

“Well, if you were insinuating that--”

“I wasn’t,” Chanyeol said, quickly cutting him off. “Look, I’m sorry if I offended you. I didn’t mean that.”

There were a lot more things Baekhyun wanted to bring up before he realized that if he opened his mouth one more time, he might just end up using the slip of words that came out of the giant’s mouth as an excuse to unleash six years of frustration...and then some. Deciding to back down, Baekhyun forced his annoyance down a notch. “Apology accepted…” It was almost as though he was accepting it against his own will, but the slight tugging of Kyungsoo’s hand brought him back to reality. “Anyways, I think it’s time for us to go now since it’s pretty late and Kyungsoo still needs a bath. It was nice seeing you again, Chanyeol.”

“Same goes to you, Byun Baek.”

Baekhyun froze for a moment, his eyes caught in Chanyeol’s gaze before he quickly looked away, occupying himself with Kyungsoo. “Ready?” At Kyungsoo’s nod, he turned his head back and his voice for his mother to hear. “We’re going now!”

From the back of the house, his mother’s reply was barely audible. “Alright! See you tomorrow, Kyungsoo!”

“Bye, grandma,” the six year old replied back, though it was questionable whether his grandmother could actually hear him or not.

Chanyeol watched as Baekhyun guided the boy outside before following right after him and shutting the door. He stood in silence for a moment, possible decisions running through his mind before he finally decided to follow in pursuit.

“I’m sorry for abruptly leaving, Mrs. Byun, but I should probably leave now, too,” he said over his shoulder as he reached for the door handle. “I’ll tell my mother you sent her your regards.”

Mrs. Byun’s words barely registered in his head as Chanyeol opened the door and promptly exited the home. Baekhyun and Kyungsoo hadn’t made it too far from the front and within a few long strides, Chanyeol had caught up.

“Listen, before you go, I wanted to apologize again,” Chanyeol began, taking note of the fact that Baekhyun merely glanced at him as he ushered Kyungsoo through the gates. “I didn’t mean to come off as some kind of pushy .”

Baekhyun shook his head. “It’s fine. Really, Chanyeol. I know how you are, so…”

He trailed off, looking as though he was contemplating whether to finish or leave it as it was. In the end, he sighed, grabbing Kyungsoo’s helmet from the bike’s front basket and fastening it on the six year old’s head.

“So…?”

“So I’m not offended. It’s over and done with. Thank you for apologizing. Honestly.” Baekhyun secured the helmet with the sound of a single click. “I meant what I said before, too. It’s good to see you doing well.”

Biting down his tongue, Chanyeol fought down the impulsive urge to ask the brunet about why he was still there, in that place. Instead, he took a second before conceding the situation with a nod. “Alright…I just wanted to make sure that we were good.”

“Don’t worry about it,” Baekhyun said, offering a small smile. “Your mother said you’d be here for two weeks. I guess that means we’ll be seeing each other often, then?”

I hope so.

Chanyeol gave him a nod. “If you won’t mind seeing me, that is.”

A few seconds of silence lingered for a moment before Baekhyun replied. “I won’t.”

Looking down at the boy between them, Chanyeol touched the top of the worn out helmet with his palm. “Alright. I’ll stop bothering you two now. Stay safe, Kyungsoo. Make sure you hold on to your dad so you don’t fall off.”

Snorting, Baekhyun rolled his eyes as he picked up his son and placed him on the backseat, making sure Kyungsoo knew that he had to stay still in order for his father to get on the bike as well. Chanyeol did his part by holding the end of the bike with a hand, keeping it balanced to the best of his ability. It wasn’t until the brunet was on and Kyungsoo’s arms began clutching onto his father’s shirt that Chanyeol finally let go.

Looking back at the man, Baekhyun nodded as he thanked him for helping. “Good-night, Chanyeol.”

“Good-night, Baekhyun.”

With their farewells said, Baekhyun pushed the bike forward before catching his rhythm and pedaling back home.


-------------------------

a/n: I should've update yesterday but I was busy studying and catching up on chemistry and statistics bc a three day weekend isn't a vacation, it's catch-up time ;u; Hope you guys like this.... If there's any mistake, let me know pleaaase ♥

PS: THANKS TO JAM FOR BETA-ING <3

twitter
tumblr 
wattpad