Prologue

Existence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Silence ensued after Sunggyu requested the Devil to aid him, his head bowed slightly to show that he respected him.

Sunggyu knew it was a foolish but possible request. He was a vampire that wanted to become a mortal? It was unheard of, for it was often the reverse that was requested of the Devil.

But he wanted to become a mortal.

There was nothing heard in the room except for the distant of tortured souls that were serving their sentence in Hell. Sunggyu could only hear himself breathing in the room. He willed himself to hold his breath after he realized how loud his breaths sounded, in anticipation, wondering whether his foolish request would be granted. He was almost certain it would be. He was just very unsure of what the price of having it granted would be.

After all, one of his ancestors had been one who made a deal so that all her descendants would be immortal. Now he wanted it to be reversed.

His ancestor had paid a hefty price for becoming an immortal that walked the night--it was at the price of where she herself and all her descendants would be cursed to never love or be loved; and in the event of the latter, it would never be fulfilled.

He had hope that because he no longer walked with the night after this that the curse would not affect him. Perhaps he should ask—but that wasn’t really of consequence. He needed to leave fast—he had a sinking feeling in his stomach and he wanted to depart for his new life with his lover as soon as possible.

Sunggyu thought that the price of becoming immortal was rather hefty already. He just hoped that the reverse, what he would be doing, would be less pricey. However, he could not complain at all, whatever the Devil decided.

For a long, long moment there was nothing but the mute silence of agony characteristic of the Underworld that accompanied the two beings in the Devil's Throne Room. Sunggyu took in another unsure, bated breath.

Then came the deep, rumbling chuckle of the Devil. It crawled from a deep, gutty bass to a more light and lyrical tenor; it was almost a three-octave difference. He was thoroughly amused. The laugh itself gave Sunggyu chills, reminding him of nothing but darkness, misery, and anger. He had been there at one point during his existence--but not anymore.

He just didn't like being reminded of it because he had been so consumed by the darkness he did not see the light in anything.

"It is possible," the Devil nodded his head, a sly smirk appearing on his face as he sat comfortably on his throne. He looked like a cat that was toying with a mouse; he was much too amused. He was the cat and Sunggyu the mouse. "But... what really confuses me is... why are you here?"

Sunggyu could only grimly agree that he was out of his mind for coming to the Underworld to ask for a favour from the Devil himself. But he had no other choice. It also didn't hurt that the Devil was probably the most powerful being that existed.

He did not want to go and ask the Heavens for help. He was an abomination in their eyes for being a half-vampire and half-mortal. He also technically was not a child of God. He was a child of the Devil because he had been born into darkness and had only known darkness. He had long dealt with the scorn of others. To be scorned by the most loved existences of God Himself would have made him feel less than what he felt already. It was often said that God loved everyone. But he had never followed God for he was a creature of the night, so he was not going to try his luck.

The Devil was very aware of the fact that he might be the most powerful being in the world. Evil existed more so than Good these days. It just so happened that he couldn't be bothered with trivial things such as exerting his dominance over humanity, nor did he want to bother taking over the Heavens, since he was very lazy. He didn't find the need to do unnecessary things like exerting his dominance, so he often remained in the Underworld, happily drinking from his golden goblet that never failed to be filled with red wine, with his favourite green grapes on the side. Had he been visiting for another reason, Sunggyu would have been able to delve further into his musing that the Devil was almost the embodiment of all the deadly sins.

Sunggyu cleared his throat, paying his respect to the Underworld God, bowing his head slightly more as he spoke. "I do not think God would have much of a solution to this, since my soul walks with the darkness of the night. My father is estranged from me and would have not agreed to this. He's the only other one aside from you that would be able to help me achieve mortal status." He had researched in his clan's library archives and found that there was a record of a distantly removed cousin that had successfully converted herself into a mortal because she didn’t want to exist forever, by the blessing of the clan head. Sunggyu knew that Hell would have frozen over before his father would have granted such a wish for him.

"Of course, he would not have agreed," the Devil agreed, curling his lips upwards so that Sunggyu was able to see his red-stained teeth from all the wine he's been drinking. He almost seemed reluctant to grant Sunggyu his wish, but Sunggyu wasn't fooled; the Devil was secretly glad. The son of a prominent vampire in the living world didn't want to be a vampire anymore. It would surely tarnish the Kim Clan’s reputation and the Devil would have drama to keep himself entertained with.

Not wanting to be a vampire anymore was akin to disowning your own family. Sunggyu was sure that him, the half-breed, disowning the clan, was something that would be the talk of the supernatural society for years.

However, Sunggyu couldn't find it in himself to care much if at all of what would happen to the clan and his father's reputation. After all, he was estranged from his father. He could count all the times they interacted on one hand.

"It is a foolish request indeed," the Devil advocated, thoughtfully played with his favourite golden goblet. Not a drop of wine spilled out of it, however, making Sunggyu prompt to believe that the Devil was not as thoughtless as he may seem. He was sharp and cunning--drinking all the wine and enjoying his existence lavishly was a ruse to catch the occasional foolish challenger off guard.

Sunggyu agreed to what the Devil said, having told himself the exact thing repeatedly, but he did not change his mind. He'd been thinking of what he wanted to do for a while now and this was it. He had given it lots of thought.

There was no point in living in world of living for so long to be hated so much. Sunggyu was tired. He wanted to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter