Chapter 1

The Scarlet In Her Eyes

It was raining, but that was to be expected of the small, quaint town of Saffron.

Moonbyul stared out of the window, sipping on the red liquid in her wineglass. Out of the corner of her eyes, she spotted a moving reflection bouncing off of the window, and she instantly whirled around, breathing out a sigh of relief when she realised it was only her covenmate.

"I nearly jumped you. You should've known better than to creep up on me."

Wheein tossed her a questioning look as she effortlessly carried two enormous brown packages into Moonbyul's room. "I wasn't trying to scare you. Anyway, here's your stuff," the shorter girl huffed, dusting her clothes off with a smile after putting down the parcels. She glanced around the room, her arms akimbo. "Quite a view, isn't it?"

"Yeah, it's pretty nice. You and Hwasa definitely have great taste in houses." Having lived for a couple of centuries (and worked for millions of hours), they had many shares in the stockmarket, and due to inflation, their coven had accumulated more than enough funds to buy whatever they could ever want. This proved extremely useful whenever they had to make fake papers and passports to migrate off to another country before someone realised they all had looked the exact same as compared to fifteen years ago.

"Of course! Also, friendly reminder that you have your first class in about half an hour. Hwasa already left for her new job at the accounting firm downtown, if you didn't notice."

Moonbyul pinched the bridge of her nose and groaned in response, but the tiny smile that crept up the edge of her lips didn't escape Wheein's eye. "I hate school."

 

57769.jpg

 

It was pretty much a normal school compound, other than being slightly bigger than the average neighborhood highschools Moonbyul had attended throughout the hundreds of years she had lived so far, probably because this was a small town, and that it was pretty much the only highschool there. Which was even more bothersome for her, because a transfer student would definitely stick out in a school where everyone had grew up together. The last thing she wanted to do was to pull attention to herself, because a vampire totally needed more attention. "I'm going to be late," the chrome-haired girl checked her watch and huffed, rubbing the back of her nape.

It wasn't as if she hated the fact that people would usually blatantly stare at her (some did it discreetly, thank God for polite people like them), but she would be pleased if they could at least attempt to be less direct about it. After all, most vampires were goodlooking, because of their enhanced features after being bitten. And she had to admit, she wasn't that bad-looking herself.

Anyway, thank goodness for being late, because at least it would spare her the embarrassment of walking through the school hallways as an unfamiliar face to her new schoolmates.

"Excuse me?" Moonbyul peered into the school office, deciding to flash the secretary a tiny smile before walking in. She looked like she could be Moonbyul's grandmother, but then again, that was kind of impossible. "I'm Moon Byulyi, and I just transferred here today. I was told to come here first for my class schedule and stuff like locker and class information?"

"Moon Byulyi... Ah, yes! Your schedule is right here," the secretary smiled at her through her wisps of white hair and thick glasses, handing her a flimsy piece of paper, earning another polite smile from Moonbyul. "Your class schedule, locker number, and basic information that you need to get around the school for your first day at this school, honey. If you happen to need some help, or if you're lost, you're welcome to come back here and have a map, sweetie!"

"I think I'll be fine," Moonbyul nodded before stepping out and looking down at the sheet of paper in her arms. "Homeroom is first, followed by Math," she mumbled to herself, memorising the contents on the sheet of paper before hastily making her way to class.

 

57769.jpg

 

Self-introductions were a complete bore.

"Alright class, make sure to give your new classmate a warm welcome!" the raven-haired homeroom teacher raised an eyebrow at the class, as if silently warning the students, "don't scare the new transfer student", before making his way out.

"Hey, transfer!"

Moonbyul was suddenly greeted with the sight of a boy with short black gelled-up hair, who had a big, bright smile on his face. She had to be honest though, he was rather cute.

"Too bright," she thought to herself.

She decided to a brow towards him instead of actually replying, folding her arms in the process.

"I was wondering if you'd like to join me at lunch, y'know- get to know each other a little bit?" he leaned forward a little more with his chin on his palm, which was way too close for her own comfort. His god-awful teenage boy cologne pierced through her nostrils, and for a moment, she was contemplating ripping his head off from his shoulders.

But that wouldn't be very nice, would it?

"You're not my type, though."

"Aw, c'mon!"

"Nope, I'm not-" Moonbyul paused mid-sentence, her heightened senses going into overdrive, because-  God, what was that smell?

What was that smell?

"Stop bothering the new student, Eric," a silky, mellow voice stole Moonbyul's attention away from the annoying boy in front of her, who raised his hands up in defeat.

"Fine, her loss!" he shrugged and made a face as he finally got off of the girl's table, making his way back to his snickering friends.

Moonbyul shifted her gaze over once again to the teacher that for some reason, she could not take her eyes off of.

Perhaps it was the slight cherry-blossom stain that painted over the woman's cheeks, or her rosy red lips that curled up into a smile.

Or perhaps it was the fact that this woman in front of her smelled completely irresistible, she actually had to stop breathing. Vampires didn't need to breathe, since they were technically dead, but it felt weird if you didn't fill your lungs with oxygen every now and then. The scent was like a complete shot in her face. Bang! Just like that.

The Math teacher was pretty- no, beautiful.

And it took all of Moonbyul's strength to not give into her vampiric senses that were screaming at her to just walk up to this woman, whom she had literally just met, and drain all of the blood from her body.

She grit her teeth and tapped her foot impatiently against the leg of her table. Never, ever in her life, had she experienced this sort of... magnetism towards someone.

And definitely never towards a human.

This was going to be a problem.

"Good morning class! I have a present for all of you today," the teacher set her books onto the table,  brushing the loose strands of her chocolate locks behind her ear. "It's a test!"

Groans emerged throughout the classroom, and Moonbyul simply snickered.

"Miss Kim!" One of the boys from the back of the class belted out. "You're super pretty today!"

"Flattery will get you nowhere," Miss Kim beamed, albeitly in a slightly evil way, and continued passing out the test papers. "Regardless of how many compliments all of you try to throw at me, you still have to take the test. Have all of you gotten your papers?"

Moonbyul nodded in unison with the other students, her eyes locked on the teacher in front of her.

"Alright, you may begin."

 

57769.jpg

 

"Since I've gotten all your papers, you may leave for your next class," Miss Kim nodded towards the class, flashing a friendly smile towards the students.

"Thank goodness," Moonbyul thought, shoving all her belongings into her backpack. Not being able to breathe for the past hour was a horrid experience indeed.

"Miss Moonbyul?"

The chrome-haired girl raised a brow, turning around to face the lady in front of her. Crap, just when she thought she could finally breathe again. God, what the heck. They were alone in the classroom now, and Miss Kim was extremely enticing. No one would know if she just took her away and drained all the life out of her. They would assume it was an accident, and her body would never be found. She had to get out of here, fast.

"Uh, yes?"

"Come here, to the front."

Moonbyul complied, and stepped forward rather slowly, chewing on the inside of her bottom lip.

Ouch, a little too hard.

"Moonbyul, right? Sorry for giving you a test when you've just transferred," Miss Kim laughed, but it wasn't a sarcastic one. Instead, it was rather meek, as if she was apologetic. Her hands slid up her neck and rubbed against her nape, her gaze locking on Moonbyul's.

For a moment, Moonbyul almost thought Miss Kim had noticed the scarlet behind her fake brown contact lenses.

But that wasn't possible for a human. Vampires who mingled among humans needed coloured contact lenses to hide the shade of tainted red in their eyes, and only other vampires could detect the scarlet that hid behind the fake lenses.

"It's fine, I've already learnt the material."

"I still feel bad, though."

"It's no problem. Uh, I'm kind of in a rush to my next cla-"

"Ah, sorry about that. I just wanted to ask if your first day has been good so far? The class can get a bit... rowdy at times, and I wanted to know if you were doing okay. Also, Eric can be a little flirty at times, but don't worry, he does that to every girl in school. No one takes him seriously, it's just a thing he does to make people feel welcome."

"It's... fine. I'm okay," Moonbyul answered with a tiny smile, her foot tapping impatiently against the floor.

Miss Kim must've noticed, because she looked up from the stack of test papers she was arranging, put them down, and rested her chin on her palm. She cocked her head just a tiny bit to the side, and shot Moonbyul a lopsided grin.

"Sorry for holding you back. If you need anything, just ask, okay?" she paused and pursed her lips, before adding, "Or if you need someone to talk to. A friend, I mean."

"A... friend?"

"I'm not that much older than you or your classmates, Moonbyul."

"I'm pretty ing sure you're not older than me," Moonbyul thought, shifting her gaze to something that wasn't... her. But of course she wasn't about to say that. "How old are you?" she asked, curiousity stirring inside her.

"That's a secret. Now, shoo. You have a class to go to. If your next teacher wonders why you're late, tell them I held you back to talk to you for a little bit."

"Okay. See you, Miss Kim."

Moonbyul nodded politely towards her teacher's friendly grin and wave, her expression changing the moment she walked out of the classroom. She took in a deep breath, clenching her fists and unknowingly sniffing the air to catch another whiff of the woman's enticing scent. "Stop," she reprimanded herself, the tainted shade of red in her eyes blazing a furious colour. She needed a moment to recollect herself and calm the raging thirst in before she went on a rampage after that encounter.

Holy .

What in the world was that?