Chapter 8

Goldfish

Everyone stopped and stared at me like I was crazy.

Sooyoung and Sunny standing in front of me, looked as though they were going to explode with laughter. The old lady looked at me with a puzzled face.

"I'm here you idiot!" I felt two hands grabbing my shoulders and turned me around.

I came face to face with Yuri and Yoona standing beside her was like a volcano waiting to erupt.

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA," all three of them burst into laughter.

I blushed.

"I'm so glad you're alright," I grabbed Yuri by the waist and gave her the tightest hug I could, "but that old lady's voice was exactly like yours!"

"Erm hello, I was behind her in the dark. You probably couldn't see me," she explained, "and why should I turn into an old lady out of the blue?"

"Haha, how would I know?" I chuckled and proceeded to my fake moustache, "maybe you drank some magic potion and aged rapidly?"

Yuri narrowed her eyes at me and I gave a goofy grin. So glad to have them back!

"Alright, alright. Let me introduce you to Mrs. Kester," she extend her hand towards the old lady who was behind me now.

"Really sorry for the misunderstanding," I turned around and bowed.

"It's alright, darling," she replied with a warm smile.

Mrs. Kester came to this resort with her family 5 years ago. She was trapped here for 5 years and her family member was caught one by one. Her daughter and grandchildren were using the toilet when the lights out. They didn't know anything back then and were never seen again. Her son-in-law was in despair at the loss of his family, made a failed attempt to attack the gamemasters and her husband, he sacrificed himself to save her.

They found the air vent to be a good hiding place but it was too late. The gamemasters had detected their presence and they were not going to give up. Her husband gave himself up to protect the hiding place.

Mrs Kester hid in the air vent for the entire day as she was worried that the surveillance cameras had caught her on tape. But nobody came to catch her and soon she realised that the moment the lights were off, so were the surveillance cameras! She would hide under the table and wait for the lights to be back on before pretending be one of those few who had reached the cafeteria early to get food.

And that was how she had survived for 5 years.

"It was probably a relief for them," she sighed.

She had saved Yuri and Yoona when they were still munching their food as people were rushing to the hall, clueless to the consequences. And she was the one who saved Sooyoung too!

"What about Tiffany and the rest?!" I suddenly recalled, "They should have been here half an hour before us!"

"Hmmm.... The blackout happens hourly. If they were here only half an hour before us, they should have encountered their first blackout the same time as us!" Yoona reasoned.

"That means they could have been caught?!" Sooyoung gasped, her eyes went teary.

"Not really. If they have been within the gold boundary on the carpet when the blackout occurs, they would automatically be asleep. It's like some sort of magic." Mrs Kester explained.

"We have got to find them!" Sunny exclaimed with determination, "Or we could find a way out first and call the police. We could save everyone!"

Yes! The entrance is just right there!

We ran towards and I pulled open the door with both hand only for it to be blocked by a brick wall. Everyone was shocked, except for Mrs Kester.

Crap! When did this get here?

"Look! There's an exit sign!" Yoona pointed out and we all ran in that direction.

I opened the door, praying for no brick walls. And huala, there was a spiral staircase that went up and down like a wave. It was weird but we didn't have a choice. We got to try!

The five of us began climbing up and down the stairs. The lights were pretty dim and we were getting giddy twirling around the spiral stairs. Some weird architecture obsessed with circles must have build this. It was never-ending!

"FINALLY! A door!" I muttered, almost out of breath.

My tired hand grabbed the door handle and I used my last ounce of strength to pull the open the door.

Blinded by the sudden increase in brightness, I squinted my eyes and noticed a figure standing not far from me.