Chapter 3

Goldfish

"Trust me! Please!"

I fell backward on the floor and pulled Sunny down beside me. Lying on her side, she stared at me with a confused expression.

Pretend to sleep? Why? What's going on?

My mind was whirling and I didn't know what to do at all.

What can we do?

As my eyes got accustomed to the dark, I could see many bodies lying on the floor.

"Crap!" I thought to myself, "Are they dead? Or they are just pretending to sleep like the voice had instructured us to? Should we trust that voice?"

I tilted my head towards Sunny and looked at her for an opinion. She nodded her head slightly and closed her eyes. And so, I followed suit.

As my eyes were closed, I could only rely on my other senses to assess the situation. I heard a group of people marching in and started to move around the area. Then I sensed someone walking near me. The sound of their footsteps somehow reminded me of exam invigilators.

"Hey you! Get up! I know you're not sleeping!" A deep husky voice yelled, "Stop pretending! Get up now or you'll be sorry!"

Sounds like a male voice, is he the security guard? Is he referring to me?

I shifted my hands, signalling my intention to get up but the hand which pulled me down, clutched tightly onto mine. It seemed like the person was telling me not to. Sunny tightened her grip on my hand too. So I tugged on both hands to ensure them that it was going to be alright.

What could go wrong by not sleeping? 

Suddenly, I felt a great whoosh as somebody whizzed past.

"Nooooo! Nonono! Please don't take me! I was really asleep!" a different voice cried.

I think the voice belongs to a man.

"Don't treat me like a fool," the husky voice coldly replied.

"Nooooooo! I'm not going there!" The man screamed and I could hear strugglings and even more footsteps. 

"Noooooooo!" His voice faded as the sound of his feet dragged along the floor was getting further away from me.

It was then I started to panicked.

Are we being held as hostages? What are we going to do? Who's going to save us?!

Soon, more screams were heard, sound of struggles and more footsteps hurried to the source of the screams.

Then, it was all over. The lights were on. I didn't know how long I had laid there but it was the most terrifying 'sleep' I ever had. 

I cautiously opened my eyes and saw that everyone was 'awakening' from their deep sleep. Some were even yawning, maybe they did fell asleep. I sat up and checked to see if Sunny was alright. Her face expression changed from a confused to surprised look when she looked past me.

"Eh?" She said.

I turned around to face the person who had saved us.

Who is it?

"Yoooooou!" I gasped.