Chapter 18

Goldfish

I could no longer tell if it was the sound of his footsteps or the sound of my heart pounding away.

Finally, he stopped a few inches away from the cabinet and stretched out his hand to reach for the handle.

I held my breath and squeezed my eyes shut.

"Calling 0193...0193, we found something suspicious. You might want to take a look," a muffled voice which seemed to be Tiffany's followed by some static sound.

It was his walkie talkie.

Curiouity totally triumphed my fear and I mustered enough courage to peer through the gap.

"Alpha 0193 speaking, I'm coming," he replied with a deep grouchy voice.

I watched him back away from the cabinet towards the cafeteria door and felt relieved for a moment.

But then, he paused and took out his walkie talkie, "I have to check something first. You go ahead."

Great... 

He turned around and took a step forward, his piercing eyes aiming for the cabinets.

I leaned back, shoulders slouched in defeat when the door abruptly opened and my ears pricked up.

Somebody hurried in.

"Alpha 0193, Alpha 6600 requires urgent attention. If there's anything I can help with?"

It was Seohyun's voice. I peered through the gap again.

Curiosity always kill the cat.

"There could be something in one of the cabinets. Check them," he ordered Seohyun.

This is bad. What would Seohyun do if she finds me?

Seohyun gave a slight nod before proceeding to open the nearest cabinet. She stopped at the cabinet next to mine when she noticed the gamemaster was still there.

"Would you like to go ahead first? I shouldn't trouble you with such a small matter," She voiced out.

"It's fine." That was all he said, his eyes gave a hint of frustration and Seohyun continued checking with an uneasy look.

As she slowly made her way to my cabinet, I felt her hesitation to open the cabinet. Her hands were trembling as they touched the cold metal handle.

Okay, Kim Tae Yeon. I need a plan now.

Brain... Please tell me what to do.

Should I just run for it?

But that dude is right at the door.

Chances are really low.

Hold Seohyun hostage?

Like really?

I'm really dead this time, am I?

"Alpha 0193... Calling for Alpha 0193," the static sound woke me up from my train of panic thoughts.

"Yes, 0193 here," he faced towards the door for a better reception.

Seohyun caught that and swiftly pushed the handle to open the door while I stared at her with wide eyes. I frozed.

What is she trying to do?

She gave me a frown and threw a small piece of paper at me. It landed right onto my face and before I could get a grasp of the situation, the door was shut tight.

"There's nothing here," Seohyun promptly reported when that man finished his conversation on the walkie talkie.

"Alright," he grunted, "let's go."

There was a moment of silence as I was still frozen to the spot. It took me a while to get my senses back and I quickly fished around for the piece of paper which had slide down to my lap.

"Taeyeon?" Somebody opened the door and I jumped. It was Sooyoung.

"You're okay? That was close!" She whispered, "We need to get under the table soon, the lights are coming back."

"Ah..yes," I replied meekly, clearly shaken as I struggled to get out of the cabinet with my trembling legs.

I felt better once I saw the others safely under the table, Hyeyeon gave me a big smile and I knew I had to be strong for her. It was worth it.

"I saw Seohyun throwing you something. What is it?" Sunny asked as I settled down beside her.

"This," I presented the paper I was clutching on to.

Sunny took a look and gave me a puzzled look, "What's with all these numbers?"

Looking pleased and amused at the same time, I gave a playful wink.

"It's a secret code."