Chapter 13

Goldfish

And so, we waited near the cafeteria for the music to start.

The plan was pretty clear and straightforward. We would sneak into the cafeteria as soon as the crowd rushed out the moment the music started to play. Then we would climb into the airvent during the blackout, Jessica would get her shoes and mission accomplished! What could go wrong?

But I have never been so wrong in my life.

There were seven of us now, climbing into the airvent would take some time. The gamemasters are starting to get suspicious of the cafeteria and they have been quicker in getting here. By the time Sunny got into the airvent, I could hear footsteps approaching. I quickly hushed Yoona in before attempting to climb when the door burst opened. Crap...

"Hah! Found you this time..." the voice exclaimed before lowering into a whisper. It was a deep husky voice, very familiar. The other two gamemasters who caught up, appeared stoned at the sight of me. They quickly closed the door and shone their torch at my face, my eyes squinted in response. My heart was beating against my chest, as though it was trying to get out. What was going to happen to me? To them?

"Taeyeon arh..." the voice sighed in a disappointed tone.

How did the gamemaster know my name? They kept a record of people trapped here?

I looked at the masked person in both surprise and fear.

"It's me...!" the gamemaster started to approached me as I subtly signalled for Yoona to close the airvent, hoping that they have not spotted it.

But the gamemaster had notice it and spotted Yoona above.

"Yoona!" the voice called out.

That was when I figured it out. This voice. I knew I had heard it before. We all did.

"Yoona's here too?!" one of the gamemasters behind exclaimed softly while the gamemaster in front of me removed her mask.