#Drabble Six - Mini holiday pt. 1

Tfibb/tfipcy drabbles

170214                                                                                                                      Happy Valentine's Day ♡


 

Due to the combination of a free day and a public holiday that extends to a long weekend, Chanyeol had organised a mini holiday with Baekhyun, featuring some other randoms that will pop up later. Instead of the long bus rides that they will usually take (that cannot be compared to the longer waits on the bus stand that Chanyeol somehow loves), this time it is a simple plane ride there, because there is not enough time to waste on transport on such a short trip.

Yet, when the taxi takes them to a place that Baekhyun doesn’t recognise, he realises he has to speak up.

“Uh, Chanyeol, where are we going?” Baekhyun asks, a little lost. There is something in his boyfriend’s expression that is both unreadable yet completely exposed. It is grim, yet excited, yet calm, yet happy.

“Visiting my parents.” Chanyeol replies as he turns his head to grin. “With you.”

“Oh.” The smaller falls silent for a second. “You should’ve told me, you idiot! I haven’t even prepared anything … I haven’t even brought flowers, or what I was going to say, or …”

“That’s fine.” Chanyeol whispers. “I just need you there with me.” Baekhyun’s mind goes blank when the taller reaches down to grab his hand, squeezing it comfortingly.

Then when they leave the vehicle, Chanyeol pulls him out by the hand, and Baekhyun is met with a clean, fresh, and flat environment. The wind is blowing a little fiercely than it usually does, and then Chanyeol is pulling him down the grass slope, where Baekhyun can see so many gravestones adorning the entire field.

Instantly he tightens his grip on Chanyeol’s hand as they advance down, feeling as if he’s about to slip any moment. But Chanyeol is stable and his grip firm as he helps Baekhyun down the slope until eventually they arrive in front of the first row of gravestones. Then Chanyeol lets go and he walks in front, leading Baekhyun. They arrive moments later and Chanyeol takes out a bouquet of flowers from his bag (Baekhyun doesn’t question where he had gotten it) and places it in front of the two connected gravestones with the name “Park Minji” and “Park Jimin”. Then he stands up in front of them.

“I’ve come to see you.” He says softly, and Baekhyun slowly retreats until he’s standing completely away, letting Chanyeol have his moment with his parents. “I’m doing very well, and I’ve never been happier than I am now.

“I’m sure you were curious about how I was when I was younger.” The taller continues. “I was surrounded by the greatest and bestest people, but because I believed you didn’t love me, that affected my happiness for such a long time.

“But I’m in such a good environment, surrounded by people that love and appreciate me so much, and I’m going to do the same for them, mum, dad.” Chanyeol walks over to Baekhyun, grabs his hand, and pulls him over. Baekhyun is a little surprised so he stumbles.

“And I brought someone today.” Chanyeol says, and when Baekhyun looks up at him, the taller is smiling down at him. At that moment, Baekhyun can feel Chanyeol squeezing his hand, tightly, comfortingly.

“This is Baekhyun.” Chanyeol says. “He’s Byun Kangmin’s son, isn’t Byun Kangmin your friend, mum? Can you believe fate brought us here? Anyway, Baekhyun here started off as my enemy, and we hated each other’s guts.” The taller chuckles. “But then he became my roommate, my friend, my crush, and now my lover. We’ve been dating for who knows how long now! He was the one that saved my life.”

Baekhyun can feel his cheeks pinking.

“Chanyeol, it’s not like that –” He protests.

“He’s also my first love.” Chanyeol finishes softly, holding Baekhyun’s hand tightly. Then the world falls silent. And then Baekhyun pulls his hand away. Startled, Chanyeol turns to watch his boyfriend step away a little separately and bow deeply.

“Hello, Mr Park, Mrs Park. My name is Byun Baekhyun.” Baekhyun introduces, unaware of Chanyeol who’s staring at him in surprise. “I’m sure you would like to know about Chanyeol’s personality. Firstly, I have to apologise for giving him such a hard time on our first few years at our college.

“But despite treating him so harshly, your son gave me nothing but kindness the moment I needed it. Unending kindness that left me baffled and confused. Because of that, his overbearing nosiness into my life -” Chanyeol wrinkles his nose in disapproval upon hearing that. “- suffocated me …” Chanyeol frowns. “… trapped me …” Chanyeol purses his lips.

“… and saved me.” Chanyeol’s eyes widen.

“Baek …” He whispers. “You cheesy bastard.” Baekhyun ignores him.

“And Mrs Park … your gift to my father a few years ago … That also helped me endure my childhood, and I have to thank you so much for that.” The smaller whispers. “I’m sorry I broke it though.” Throat dry, Baekhyun’s mind goes blank and he looks up at Chanyeol, as if searching for ideas.

It’s touching and moving. The first time Chanyeol came, he was with Lee Mansu. He could only stare at the gravestones for a few minutes before he was forced to leave to attend court that time, to put Joo Sung in jail. The second time he visited, he was alone. It was a rainy day, representative of his feelings, and that day Chanyeol said not a word and cried for what he could’ve had.

The third time is now, with Baekhyun. Baekhyun, who so interestingly and surprisingly steps up, out of his comfort shell, to talk to his parents. Baekhyun, who would’ve felt embarrassed doing this, or too shy, or just plain reluctant. Baekhyun did it, to respect his parents and mostly, to respect Chanyeol.

“Welp, here’s a peek at my boyfriend’s personality.” Chanyeol cuts in, grabbing Baekhyun’s hand and pulling him closer again. “I’m sure even if you were homophobic before, looking at how cute he is now, I’m sure you’ve turned into fans, right?”

“Chanyeol …” Baekhyun hisses, embarrassed.

“All joking aside,” Chanyeol chuckles, “I’m doing very well. My parents are doing very well too, Uncle Mansu is also doing really well, uh … Baekhyun’s dad is also doing really well. We’re all doing very well, so don’t worry about us!”

“Anyway, we have to go now. We got a tight schedule ahead.” After they bow together, hands connected, they return to their taxi, and once again set off, this time to a more familiar road. After about an hour, they arrive at Chanyeol’s house. Mrs Im greets them enthusiastically, hugging the both of them so tightly that Baekhyun is reminded that’s where Chanyeol’s suffocating hugs came from. Then Mrs Im holds Baekhyun by the hand and leads them inside.

“Your father isn’t here yet, Baekhyunnie.” Mrs Im says warmly. “And Chanyeol! Your sister will be here with her husband, so be nice!”

“As if I’m not!” Chanyeol exclaims defensively. Baekhyun chuckles.

“You know your sister, getting jealous whenever she sees you all over our Baekhyunnie at the dinner table. You know she can’t stand that!” Immediately Baekhyun stops chuckling.

“You talk as if she isn’t all over ‘our Kwangukkie’.” Chanyeol mocks, then sighs. “Does it run in the family?”

“All right, all right.” Mrs Im lets go of Baekhyun’s hand. “Aish, I have such annoying children. Baekhyunnie, can you replace Chanyeol here?”

“Sure.” Baekhyun responds, laughing internally when Chanyeol shoots him a look of betrayal and shock. Then the smaller does something even more offending: he walks off with his mother, leaving Chanyeol there alone and still shocked. “I’m surprised you haven’t abandoned him yet, and endured his childishness.” Mrs Im laughs loudly.

“Glad you realised! I’m surprised, myself, for being able to handle him for so long.” Chanyeol scowls as he stuffs his hands in his pockets and follows after them. “Help me with cooking dinner, Baekhyunnie!”

“He can’t cook!” Chanyeol calls, wanting to get revenge.

“I’ll teach him!” Mrs Im calls back, and just like that, Chanyeol is thoroughly shut down. Sighing, he moves their luggage over to the living room, since there’s not enough space in his bedroom that he shares with Baekhyun. When he walks out, all he can see is his mother chatting enthusiastically with Baekhyun. Sighing to himself again, part of Chanyeol wants to walk over there and join, but his pride won’t let him so in the end he plops down on the couch and switches on the TV.

After a while, a warm body encases his head and a piece of strawberry and an arm pops up in his vision. Immediately, Chanyeol opens his mouth and takes in the strawberry Baekhyun gives him, feeling Baekhyun’s fingers reach up to his hair gently, elbow resting on his shoulder. On the other side of Chanyeol, Baekhyun’s other hand is holding a small plastic carton of freshly washed strawberries.

“Done?” Chanyeol asks, tilting his head up to look at his boyfriend, who looks a little funny in this angle.

“Mm.” Baekhyun responds, eyes trailing down to look at him, then using his free palm to push his head back until Chanyeol’s facing the TV again. “You’re going to be proud.”

“Pft, someone’s getting a little cocky …” Chanyeol scoffs, and then he sees another strawberry press up against his lips.

“Eat and shut up.” Baekhyun replies, stuffing the strawberry inside. Chanyeol takes it obediently, munching happily.

“Where’s mum?” He asks later, stretching his neck behind to look behind him.

“She said she’s going to pick out her favourite dress.”

“Oh.” Chanyeol turns back again, his hand reaching up to hold Baekhyun’s arm. “You getting tired? Here, I’ll hold ‘em.”

“It’s fine.” Baekhyun’s arm retreats before Chanyeol can take the carton. “Enjoy your show.”

“Sit with me.” Chanyeol says, grabbing Baekhyun’s arm and pulling him.

“Well, since you insist.” The cocky smirk is so damn annoying but Chanyeol endures this as he watches Baekhyun sit next to him. The taller slides his hand around the smaller’s waist until it’s splayed on his hip and down his thigh, around the area that is nearing his backside. His boyfriend pulls away, staring up at him with an eyebrow raised, and when met with a cheeky grin as an answer, snuggles up to Chanyeol more comfortably.

A little while later, the door opens and a loud shout sounds in the entire house.

“HEY EVERYONE! I’M BACK!” Yoora shouts, and Baekhyun immediately sits up such that his body leaves Chanyeol’s hand. Rolling his eyes and groaning, Chanyeol instead flips over on the couch, his long body taking up the whole space as he pretends he doesn’t care that his sister is back home. His legs splay over Baekhyun’s lap as he eats the strawberry in his hand.

“GUESS WHO I BROUGHT?” Yoora pops into view, and along her arm is her husband Kwangguk who is barely in view. Baekhyun immediately stands up, and Chanyeol curses when his legs slide down and onto the floor, such that he almost falls. When he sits up, Baekhyun’s back is a little bent politely as he walks over to them to greet them. Scowling, Chanyeol stands up, trying to glare at his sister even though his heart is happy.

“Baekhyun!” Yoora squeals, running over to hug him tightly. Kwangguk nods at Baekhyun awkwardly, then sends Chanyeol another awkward smile. Chanyeol’s face breaks a little and he can only grin goofily back, but he reverts his scowl once his sister is looking at him.

“Brat!” She calls, loosening her hold on Baekhyun as she stomps over to him. “Aren’t you going to give your sister a hug?”

Chanyeol shrugs, trying not to break into a smile. Any moment now and his sister is going to give in and hug him and ruffle his hair and pull his ears, and that’s when he’ll break.

“Playing hard to get again?” Yoora narrows her eyes as she inches closer, and Chanyeol almost reaches out, but then suddenly she’s gone and she’s onto Baekhyun instead. Chanyeol gapes in shock.

“That’s all right, I have Baekhyun here.” Yoora says, holding tightly onto Baekhyun. “Don’t you think he makes a cuter little brother than you do?”

“Argh!” Chanyeol breaks. “Why does Baekhyun have to ruin everything? Where’s my hug?”

“Here.” Yoora hugs Baekhyun tightly again, grinning at him. Chanyeol scowls – for real, this time. He had almost stumbled over in desperation, too. “Ask Baekhyun to give it back to you some time.”

“Abandoning me now, are we?” Chanyeol mutters to himself.

“She does that to me all the time.” Kwangguk adds dejectedly, and laughs when Yoora hits him harshly on the arm.

“Yoora!” Mrs Im calls out from elsewhere, and they embrace into a tight hug too. As if that isn’t enough, the door opens again and this time Mr Im returns. All their booming voices sound in the air so loudly that Baekhyun feels overwhelmed. In the end, he escapes into Chanyeol’s room, feeling his ears ring from so much sound. It’s so warm, yet his ears still haven’t gotten used to it. Then again, his group of friends in college give him the same ringing in the ears with their loud voices.

When he leaves the room, he goes to the kitchen to check the food, finds that the oven is cooking the food nicely, then closes it up again. Wondering if there is anything else he should do, Baekhyun remembers how before all the meals they have, Mrs Im would place a table cloth over it, so he decides to do that. As he’s trying to align the cloth nicely, Chanyeol pops up.

“My family being too loud?”

“Nah.” Baekhyun replies softly. “It’s nice.”

“I wouldn’t be surprised if your eardrums pop, that happens to me too.” Chanyeol admits as he helps the smaller align the table cloth. “Anyway Baek, stop stealing my family. It’s not fair.”

“Not my fault.” Baekhyun mutters. “That I’m charming.”

“…” Chanyeol stands there, staring at his boyfriend. “Ho … getting confident now, are we?”

“Just stating the fact.”

“Aren’t you cute?” Chanyeol walks up to his boyfriend and cups his cheeks. “I remember a certain little Byun getting embarrassed whenever I complimented him, and now he’s complimenting himself! Isn’t that a little step forward?”

“Stop.” Baekhyun attempts to push him away even though a small smile is lighting his lips. Chanyeol chuckles and lets go, watching as his boyfriend busies himself rushing around the table, and when Baekhyun rushes past him, Chanyeol touches his elbow.

“I’m glad, Baek.” Chanyeol whispers. “I really am.” Baekhyun smiles at him, hand reaching back to hold Chanyeol’s hand, pulling him closer.

“Idiot.” Baekhyun whispers, smiling brightly at him. Chanyeol grins back, affection for the smaller rising up within him. Then they hear voices get louder and louder as Chanyeol’s other family members enter the scene, and Mrs Im tells everyone to sit down as she prepares.

“Oh! You’ve already set up everything.” Mrs Im says, blinking in surprise at the both of them.

“Your new son here did everything.” Chanyeol replies proudly, reaching up to ruffle Baekhyun’s hair. “I guess that means it’s official – you’ve officially abandoned me now, huh?”

“Of course not!” Mrs Im beams as she hugs the both of them. “Sit down!”

Everyone sits down, in good spirits, noticing the empty seat next to Baekhyun.

“When’s your father coming?” Yoora asks kindly.

“Uh …” Baekhyun falls speechless.

“He’ll come soon, be sure of it!” Mrs Im responds as she brings the food over. “We’ll wait for him to eat.” Everyone agrees enthusiastically.

One hour later:

“I’m kinda hungry.” Yoora states honestly. Chanyeol sends a glare at her. Silence.

“Uh … I doubt he’ll come.” Baekhyun speaks up, a little embarrassed, grabbing his chopsticks, as if to convince the others to follow. “Something might’ve come up. He’s a busy person, so … Let’s eat.”

“Baekhyunnie, I’m sure you misunderstand a parent’s dedication to their child.” Mrs Im explains, her eyes bright. “He’ll definitely come. Now put them down.”

Speechless, Baekhyun slowly sets down the chopsticks. Chanyeol wholeheartedly understands his mother’s words, and wholeheartedly believes them. He wishes Baekhyun would’ve believed in his father, too. But he can also tell that Baekhyun doesn’t want to make them wait, because after all, everyone’s hungry and Baekhyun doesn’t want to be the reason for that. Still, as he looks around at everyone’s faces, he can tell they are all willing to wait, as if they can’t bear to leave someone out of this reunion.

As if on cue, someone knocks at the door. Immediately, Mrs Im flies out of her chair and runs after it, yelling at everyone to stay put. Baekhyun looks a little lost and conflicted, wondering if he should stand up to greet his father or stay where he is, and in the end Chanyeol sees him stand up to follow Mrs Im.

A while later, Mr Byun appears, bowing to everyone slightly in apology.

“Sorry everyone, my flight got delayed.” He says, and everyone stands up to greet him. After the greetings, Mr Byun is seated next to Baekhyun, and they begin eating.

Like the first time Baekhyun ate with Chanyeol’s family, and like all the other times, the table is lively. It’s mostly the parents talking, with Yoora joining very frequently, and Chanyeol and Baekhyun and Kwangguk just watching and listening. Mr Byun seems to have pulled out his outgoing attitude from all his business exchanges, because in a few moments he’s fitted right into the lively atmosphere, as if he had always belonged there, in such a way that even Chanyeol is surprised. Eventually even Chanyeol joins in the conversation after he’s finished his food, making silly comments every now and then. Baekhyun remains mostly quiet, his crescent-eyed smile frequent.

As they pack up, Mrs Im urges Baekhyun to catch up with his father as she drags Chanyeol to help her wash the dishes. Chanyeol tells her everything that had happened at school so far, as well as the inheritance and company he had gotten from his birth parents, how he’s learning to handle them, meet new customers, keep his company flourishing. Seeing the proud glimmer in her eyes is all he needs to tell him that he’s doing all right.

And Baekhyun’s doing fine too, from the way he preserves his smile when talking to his father, and it’s at these moments where Chanyeol remembers like a slap to the face (a really nice slap too) how beautiful Baekhyun is. And when his mother is busy trying to prepare desserts for everyone, rushing around like she loves to do, Chanyeol watches Baekhyun, letting himself appreciate the boyfriend that he has today. It’s truly a different feeling, to be right next to Baekhyun and then to watch him from afar – something that Chanyeol cannot quite explain.

And when his mother is done, she drags her husband and Mr Byun over into the kitchen to talk, as if she’s very keen on learning more about him. Yoora slides on a DVD into the DVD player, and then the movie Titanic plays. Yoora and Kwangguk lie on the couch while Chanyeol and Baekhyun sit on the floor, and for the first forty-five minutes, Baekhyun is silent as he stares at the TV in the dark, legs loosely crossed. Then, slowly but surely, his head slowly droops down as he falls asleep little by little. Sometimes, his head would drop down and then he’d wake himself up again, as if he’s trying to stay awake. Chanyeol almost laughs because romance movies always seem to make the smaller fall asleep. Eventually, Baekhyun does fall asleep, head drooped down as he crosses his arms. Smiling, Chanyeol scoots over and moves Baekhyun until his head is leaning on the taller’s shoulder, and immediately Baekhyun shifts, nuzzling into his jacket into a more comfortable position. When the movie is over and Yoora and her husband leave, Chanyeol decides to wake Baekhyun up and bring him to bed. Yet, he can’t bear himself to wake up the smaller, with him looking so snug against Chanyeol’s body. In the end, Chanyeol shifts until he takes Baekhyun in his arms, lifting him up.

Baekhyun’s eyes flutter, but before they can open, Chanyeol hushes him.

“Keep sleeping.” He whispers. Baekhyun is obedient and those eyes don’t flutter anymore. Chanyeol places him gently on the bed, pulling the covers over him and tucking him in like the perfectionist he is. Just as Chanyeol is about to leave though, a hand grabs him. Even though Baekhyun doesn’t talk, as if he has no energy to speak, Chanyeol understands – his boyfriend doesn’t want him sleeping on the floor. Chanyeol decides to stand there until the smaller lets go and falls asleep again, just so he won’t need to lie or promise anything. Eventually, the smaller does let go, and Chanyeol silently sneaks out.

Out in the kitchen, Chanyeol hears whispered noises and so he stands outside it, wondering whether he’s interrupting. His father had fallen asleep, and now his mother is left with Mr Byun.

“I have many single lady friends that are looking for someone to settle with for the rest of their lives.” His mother whispers. “They’re very pretty too.”

“It’s … fine.” Mr Byun rejects politely.

“But dear! I don’t want you to be alone for the rest of your life. It’s a very, very long life by yourself, and very, very lonely.” Mrs Im insists.

“I won’t be lonely, Hye Jung, as long as my son isn’t lonely.” Mr Byun says. “ I want to dedicate the rest of my time, and the rest of myself, to Baekhyun. For the rest of my life.”

Warmth seeps in Chanyeol.

“I owe him that much as a father, and … I kind of want to. Dedicate myself to him, I mean.” Baekhyun’s father continues. “His mother and I, we both neglected him for such a long time that he had a sad heart, and even though he had every right to hate me and abandon me, in the end he chose to give me a chance. I want to take this chance seriously and give back to him in such a way that he will never regret it.” Chanyeol’s heart swells and he finds that he can hardly breathe even as he peeks in and watches Mr Byun’s genuine expression.

“I’m also afraid Baekhyun is not ready to have another mother. I’m sure you’re doing a very good job on him, Hye Jung, which is why he so happily comes to visit you with Chanyeol so often, but I’m sure the thought of me marrying another person once again will cause him to be very angry.”

“I understand.” Mrs Im nods. “As long as you’re happy, Kangmin.”

“I’m afraid I can only stay here for one night.” Mr Byun apologises. “I had a very important meeting with a client today, but I delayed it for a few days to come here and now I’ll have to return as soon as possible … In the meantime, I’m sorry for bothering you by staying here for the night.”

“No, no, no, it’s fine!” Mrs Im laughs as she puts her arm around the man and leads him towards Yoora’s old bedroom. “I hope you don’t mind using my daughter’s room for today …” Their voices fade eventually. Sighing, Chanyeol enters the kitchen to drink a glass of water, after having brushed his teeth with Baekhyun some time during the movie, and then drags his feet back to his bedroom.

“Night, ma.” He calls out at his bedroom door. “Night, Mr Byun.” After hearing responses, he opens the door and closes it behind him. In the darkness, he sees a form sitting up on the bed.

“Did I wake you?” Chanyeol whispers as he slips into his self-made bed on the floor. When nothing answers him, Chanyeol guesses the other must either be half-asleep or sleep-sitting. Getting comfortable on the wide and cold floor, Chanyeol nuzzles against his pillow and prepares to fall asleep, but the moment he’s done shifting, a warm body slides next to him and snuggles up to him. Before Chanyeol can even complain, or comply, or react, Baekhyun had s his arms around his torso and pulled him in, and the body warmth is so inviting Chanyeol cannot argue.

That’s how he falls asleep – in the arms of the man he loves.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The next morning, Baekhyun wakes him up and he slides out of the blankets on the floor, folding them up neatly and ensuring that there is no extra mess they made before grabbing their luggage for skiing in the mountains. They get ready quicker than they thought they would, and so, after leaving their luggage near the front door, walk back in the kitchen to see if there is anything they can do. Mrs Im is at the sink of the kitchen, and the moment they walk in, she speaks.

“Children! Do you have time?”

“Yeah.” Chanyeol replies.

“Go to the bakery and buy some bread, will you?”

“Okay!” Chanyeol calls out eventually. Grinning at Baekhyun, they set out onto the cold deserted streets, pulling their hoodies up and shoving their hands in their pockets.

On the way, Baekhyun walks in front of him, as if excited to buy groceries for the family. Finding the smaller waddle around cutely, Chanyeol can’t help it – he rushes up and kicks the back of Baekhyun’s thighs.

Baekhyun turns just as Chanyeol catches up to him and paces with him. Chanyeol isn’t even able to catch the smaller’s expression before a sharp pain fires up at his and the momentum throws him forward. Baekhyun had kicked his , hard. He laughs even though the pain is intense, and in the end reaches out to grab Baekhyun, pushing the smaller into his side.

They arrive at the bakery later, savouring in the warmth that the heater in the shop brings. Chanyeol picks out some buns, pointing at some with Baekhyun to recommend some of his favourites, and Baekhyun pushes him to take more. They grab the bags and walk home happily.

After breakfast, Baekhyun and Chanyeol bid their parents goodbye as they board on a bus to their nearby mountains. On the way, Baekhyun and Chanyeol enjoy the scenery around them, and then eventually, Baekhyun takes another short nap like the smol bean he is.

Upon arriving, they enter a small cabin that they had booked for the next few days. Baekhyun looks extremely satisfied as he throws himself on the bed.

“Can we not ski? I wanna stay and sleep.” Baekhyun says as he stretches like a cat.

“… It’s because you’re an amateur skier aren’t you?” Chanyeol teases. “Can’t bear to look dumb in front of your expert, handsome boyfriend?”

“Tch.” Baekhyun frowns as he sits up. “Bring it on, . We’ll see who’s laughing at who after this.”

“It’s on.” Chanyeol’s competitiveness also rises up.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun gapes.

“Jungsoo?” He calls out at the man who’s waving at him inside the ski resort, after they’ve dressed up in their equipment. “What are you doing here?”

“So I can’t be here?” Jungsoo grins widely as he stretches out his arms and pulls Baekhyun into a tight hug. “I missed you so much, Baekhyun.”

“All those messages and you never told me?” Baekhyun pulls away. “I even told you I was going skiing.”

“Hyung here wanted to make it a surprise.” Jungsoo tilts his head in gesture to Chanyeol. “He asked me to come, actually.”

“Hyung?” Baekhyun smiles as he glances up at Chanyeol. “Hm.”

“Sorry, I’m just used to it …” Jungsoo responds sheepishly. “I’ll call you hyung again if -”

“No thanks.” Baekhyun cuts in quickly. “Did you come here by yourself?”

“No, I brought a friend.” Jungsoo tiptoes. “Hey, John!” A while later, another man pops up next to Jungsoo. They introduce themselves and then set out onto the snow.

Immediately, John and Jungsoo set out skiing like experts, moving downwards in a (what Baekhyun thinks is) dangerous pace. Then Chanyeol is next to him, teaching him how to hold the sticks properly.

“Okay, so you keep balance, then drag yourself forward like this.” Chanyeol demonstrates flawlessly and smiles at Baekhyun encouragingly. “Try it.”

Baekhyun tries, but then in the end he’s afraid he’ll fall face first on the floor … The pain …

“.” He hisses. “How the is this supposed to move?!”

“It’s not as hard as you think it is.” Chanyeol says gently. “I promise. I’ll catch you if I see you falling, okay?”

“…” Biting his lip, Baekhyun tries it, pushing himself forwards. He keeps his balance for the first few metres, and his fear slowly turns into excitement as he dares himself to look up from the floor to look at Chanyeol as his lips part and he –

– He loses balance and he falls with a yelp. Face first, onto the snow.

When he pushes himself off, Chanyeol just slides over to his side, with a sheepish “Oops.”

Annoyed, Baekhyun grabs his stick and swings it towards Chanyeol, and the taller yelps and slides smoothly out the way, laughing. Baekhyun curses, and he takes a long time to get up and stay up. Even though part of him wants to give up and go back to the comfy cabin to sleep, his competitiveness remains and he glares at Chanyeol before trying again. He falls every time he tries, and it takes him about an hour before he can get the gist of it.

Still, even though most of the time he’s trying to ignore Chanyeol, the taller still sticks by him, showing him things and giving him tips and in the end Baekhyun listens while still pretending he’s ignoring the other. It’s only when he’s sort of made up with Chanyeol does he realise that Chanyeol could’ve ditched him and skied on his own, being the ‘expert’ he claims he is, yet this whole time he had been by Baekhyun’s side, patient. Finding this side of Chanyeol crazily cute, Baekhyun decides to try harder so that he won’t have to drag the other down. By the end of the day, Baekhyun can ski around a twenty metres down the (not-so-steep) slope without falling.

During dinner, Baekhyun clutches his arms, massaging them. “My muscles ache.”

“Tch, can’t handle small fry, can you?” Chanyeol grins widely. Baekhyun tries to glare up at the younger, but Chanyeol is moving behind him and Baekhyun can only mentally sigh, wanting to wipe that grin off his boyfriend’s face. Then large hands land on his shoulders and the taller is massaging him. Baekhyun does sigh, except this time at how comfortable it feels.

“You’re such a people pleaser.” Baekhyun murmurs, closing his eyes for a few seconds before opening them again, straightening himself. “Okay, done.”

“… What?” Chanyeol hesitantly lifts up his hands, staring at him in confusion. “… You’re such a people pleaser too. Don’t even want me to massage you.”

“Whatever.” Baekhyun rolls his eyes as he grabs both their jackets. “Let’s go.” He starts walking out of his cabin. Chanyeol runs to catch up to him.

“Scared I’ll get tired.” Chanyeol continues. “Scared my fingers will get sore. Scared I’ll …” They continue for the rest of the way to Jungsoo’s cabin.

They enter Jungsoo and John’s cabin smelling the delicious scent of dinner wafting out of the door. Chanyeol immediately bounds over to Jungsoo to see if there’s anything else he can cook or help at the kitchen whereas Baekhyun helps set up the table with John. He finds that there’s only three chairs at the dining table.

“John, do you know if there’s another chair around here?” He asks, looking around and then at the taller. John’s eyes dart around too.

“Uhm … uh …” He glances at Baekhyun with a panicked expression and then rushes inside the kitchen. Baekhyun frowns, wondering what’s up. Maybe John is asking Jungsoo … But after about five minutes waiting with no response, Baekhyun steps into the kitchen, and finds John cutting up carrots in a corner. Frown deepening, Baekhyun instead turns to Jungsoo, who’s arguing about something with Chanyeol.

“Hey Jungsoo, do you have any other chairs lying around?” Baekhyun asks. “We need one more.”

“Oh. There should be one in my room. Check the bedrooms.” The moment that leaves Jungsoo’s lips, John stiffens and glares at Jungsoo, who hasn’t noticed. Baekhyun wonders what’s wrong, but doesn’t think much of it as he leaves to find another chair.

Once Jungsoo and Chanyeol finish with the dishes, they crowd around the table and Baekhyun sits down first, waiting for his boyfriend and his bodyguard as they place the dishes on the table. Chanyeol sits next to him and Jungsoo sits opposite Chanyeol. When John enters, he surveys the scene and Baekhyun doesn’t fail to realise the way John reluctantly sits opposite Baekhyun. Baekhyun has half a mind to whisper to Chanyeol to swap seats with him, or maybe leave the place, but in the end he doesn’t.

He forgets about it soon though, as he immerses in conversation with Jungsoo, catching up on the past few months that he hasn’t seen the younger. Jungsoo has dyed his hair back to black now, and after these few months, the younger has learned to talk to Baekhyun like a friend rather than a Master. Baekhyun is completely comfortable with that, relieved and glad that Jungsoo is willing to step out of that boundary. It’s also endearing, seeing Jungsoo continue calling Chanyeol ‘hyung’, and almost becoming the obedient little dongsaeng to Chanyeol, who had always wanted it. Maybe he should be annoyed that Jungsoo had really stopped calling him ‘hyung’, yet he isn’t, because Jungsoo is the only person that can willingly and happily call Chanyeol ‘hyung’ without calling Baekhyun ‘hyung’.

It’s only towards the end of their meal does Baekhyun notice that John hasn’t spoken a word at all. Wondering if he’s the cause, he excuses himself first, grabbing some empty plates over to the kitchen sink to wash. Sure enough, a new voice start floating along with the other two. His eyebrows furrowing in confusion, Baekhyun continues scrubbing the plates, wondering if he had done anything to him.

Jungsoo pops in next, casually waiting for Baekhyun to finish washing up. Baekhyun insists on taking his empty plate, but Jungsoo refuses just as fiercely, until in the end Baekhyun gives up, moving aside for the taller to wash. Chanyeol and John’s enthusiastic voices continue, as if they’ve met each other for longer than a day.

“They were hitting it off really well, so I decided to leave them.” Jungsoo chirps.

“Hm, is John always like that? Hitting off well with people, I mean.”

“Chyeah.” Jungsoo scoffs as if it’s an obvious thing. “He’s a social animal, I guess you can say.”

“Oh.” Baekhyun’s voice is soft as he leans against the table in the kitchen. “Doesn’t seem like he likes me very much.”

“……… Oh.” Jungsoo voice is unreadable. Silence ensues for a short while, then: “Pfft.”

“Hm?”

“He’s so dumb.” Humour leaks into the tone of Jungsoo’s voice. “I guess you can say he kinda has a crush on you.”

“… Huh?” Baekhyun blinks, eyes wide in disbelief.

“Long story, but he’s always saying how straight he is when I talk about men I find good looking, but I guess you can say that kinda went wrong when he saw you.”

“…”

“Maybe it’s just a man crush. There’s nothing wrong with that. Still, it’s the charm you have, I guess.” Jungsoo turns his head and smiles. “I swear he never saw it coming which is why he’s taking it hard right now. Don’t mind him too much.” Jungsoo chuckles.

“Mm … I find that a little hard to believe …” Baekhyun mumbles, “He seemed quite reluctant to interact with me.”

“Oh, you’ll see.” Jungsoo laughs. “He’ll come around, and then he’ll try and get your attention.”

Frowning, Baekhyun pushes himself off the kitchen table when Chanyeol enters, still actively talking to John. John looks up, catches Baekhyun’s eye, then excuses himself. Chanyeol nods, all smiles as he turns to grin at Baekhyun, striding on his long legs over to him as he slides his arm around the smaller’s waist, the other hand holding his empty plate.

“Jungsoo-yah, you gonna wash my plate for me?” Chanyeol jokes, pinching Baekhyun’s waist playfully.

“Sure, hyung.” Jungsoo responds obediently, reaching out a hand without looking back. From the way his boyfriend’s eyes widen slightly, Baekhyun can tell the taller didn’t expect this. He glances at Chanyeol, who hen hesitantly gives the plate over to Jungsoo. Jungsoo takes it quickly and adds it to the other plates in the sink.

“… Thanks.” Chanyeol blurts, then twists his head at Baekhyun, taking a step closer until the both of them are facing each other. Baekhyun raises his eyebrow, still feeling Chanyeol’s hand on his waist. The taller grins widely, cheekily, rubbing his hands up and down the smaller’s waist and then letting go. Once Jungsoo’s done, the three of them walk out to the living room, about to watch a movie, and then John walks in, preparing to wash his plate. Baekhyun decides not to care anymore, so he follows the other two out into the living room.

“What movie?” Jungsoo asks. “They have Netflix.” Baekhyun opens his mouth, about to say ‘Any’, but Chanyeol cuts in faster.

“Cartoon.” Chanyeol says. “Baekhyun hasn’t watched many, that loser.”

 “We can’t go through life without watching cartoon!” Jungsoo says. “All right, it’s set. We’re watching cartoon.”

Baekhyun and Chanyeol get comfortable on one side of the couch, and Jungsoo on the other. A few minutes into the movie, Chanyeol speaks up.

“Hey, where’s John?” He asks, twisting his head to look around with his cute wide eyes. Baekhyun looks around too, only having noticed John’s absence.

“John!” Jungsoo barks. “John!” Jungsoo leaves the couch.

“Whatever.” Chanyeol turns back to look at the screen, and Baekhyun follows suit. Jungsoo returns later holding two bags of popcorn. He holds one out to Baekhyun, who takes it and places it between him and Chanyeol.

“Sit down.” It’s only when Jungsoo says that does Baekhyun notice John standing, looking hesitant. Immediately he moves closer to Chanyeol, as if attempting to give John more space. Eventually, John sits down next to Baekhyun, and Baekhyun leans his head on Chanyeol’s shoulder, feeling uncomfortable trying to prop it up otherwise, in his small space. Baekhyun soon forgets about it the more he immerses himself into the movie, until Chanyeol mumbles that he’s thirsty.

“I’ll get some water.” Baekhyun announces, slipping off the couch and into the kitchen. Realising that he can only hold three cups of water at any one time, Baekhyun decides that’s what he’ll do, and with his hands full, he returns to the living room. He passes one to Chanyeol, one to Jungsoo, and finally, one to John.

“Thanks.” John mumbles, looking away. Even though Baekhyun knows John isn’t looking, he sends a small smile anyway, and then takes his seat again. Chanyeol is sipping the water, and when he feels Baekhyun’s head on his arm again, he presses the cup to the smaller’s lips, tipping it up when Baekhyun parts his lips to drink the water.

“Clingy .” Chanyeol whispers, grinning and ruffling Baekhyun’s hair affectionately after the smaller had taken the cup in his hands. Rolling his eyes, Baekhyun leans into Chanyeol even more, attempting to push him down, but then stops after two seconds, not wanting to disturb the other two from watching.

Once the movie’s over, Chanyeol runs off to the toilet. Jungsoo grabs the rubbish and cups and heads towards the kitchen. Baekhyun switches off the TV and stands up, stretching. John stands there awkwardly.

“Movie was good, right?” Baekhyun asks as he gathers both his and Chanyeol’s coats. John’s eyes dart to him, then dart away. At first, Baekhyun thinks that the taller is about to ignore him, but then eventually he replies with a grunt and a curt nod.

“What are you doing tomorrow, you and Jungsoo-yah?” Baekhyun continues, unwilling to have any tension between him and Jungsoo’s friend.

“Same thing.” John mumbles in reply. Baekhyun falls silent, not knowing how else to respond, so he just stands there waiting for Chanyeol and Jungsoo to return.

“W-What about you?” John blurts out, and Baekhyun blinks in surprise.

“Snowboarding.” Baekhyun replies, eyes wide. “Not for the whole day though. Maybe just in the afternoon and evening.”

“Oh.” John nods awkwardly.

“Join us, if you want.” Baekhyun suggests politely.

“Let’s go, Baekhyun.” Chanyeol calls as he enters the living room, grabbing his coat from Baekhyun’s arms with a small ‘Thanks’. “Thanks for having us, guys.”

“Bye, guys.” Jungsoo appears from the kitchen and waves at them. “Sleep well.”

“Goodnight.” Baekhyun says, hugging the coat around himself, then the two of them return to their cabin.

 


ask.fm