When a stranger on the bus, Bobby, helps you get home safely

#ᴍᴜᴢɪᴋ's scenario simulator • request now! ʙᴇɢɪɴ ɢᴀᴍᴇ?
 
 CHARACTER   iKON's Bobby
 
***
 

"This just in, South Korea's suicide rates reach an all-time high this year..."

 

"...student A, fainted from overworking..."

 

"...attempted to throw himself off of a building into oncoming traffic..."

 

Each coldly calculative sentence went through one ear and out the other.

 

Normally, beads of sweat would've been dotting along your forehead, mere products of your frenzied thoughts. You'd be contemplating what you'd need to tackle first as soon as you got home. Numbers would whiz past each thought while you counted down the time you had left before supplementary classes began. Precious time for you to finish all your homework and other academic duties.

 

Sitting on the bus, precisely at 8 pm, a snazzy DJ's voice would advertise that new pizza joint that had just opened up around the block. You hardly paid attention to it. Eat? You didn't have any time to eat. Hell, you had a 20-page essay to write by tomorrow. You were an honour's student - almost always in the top ten ranking of your class. If you dropped in rank, how many disappointed stares would you get from your parents? Your parents' friends? Your teachers?

 

You hated those stares, but needed to put up with them for the sake of 'being somebody,' or at least, the sake of pretending that you actually were 'somebody,' when you really weren't anybody.

 

Adjusting was hard. The transition from the cliquey, close-knit high school to the independent, open university was terrifyingly difficult, at least for you. Even though you hadn't changed a bit from being the typical, nerdy honours student from high school, you'd become overwhelmingly stressed and sensitive when others demanded things of you.

 

But now, commercial break was over, and the fizzing static of the bus radio lulled to a hum as a scene from yesterday unraveled into your mind.

 

"I'm tired, mom. What am I doing all of this for? I don't even know what I really want to be! I don't know if I even like what I'm studying..."

 

“What—have you gone insane?!"

 

"Mom, listen—“

 

"You don't know, do you? What I have to put up with in order for you to be looked upon well by our neighbours... Mrs. Han across the street has a daughter going to Harvard, full tuition paid! Do you know how embarrassing it is for me to put up with her big-talk about him when my only daughter with Honours simply chose to go to a mediocre university only because it's 'close to home'?"

 

"I don't care."

 

"You'll become a disgrace, you know. I won't let you. I won't let you become just like Euntaek, that motherless, retarded kid from next door--you'll ruin our family's reputation."

 

"MOM!"

 

The bus screeched to a stop. At once, your eyes snapped open.

 

"What in the world..." the bus driver trailed off, clicking a few things to reboot the engine. "Huh. That's odd."

 

It was dark, with only the dim LED lights of the bus glowing in the night. Your eyes were vacant as you blankly stared at the panicking bus driver.

 

At this point, you didn't care where you were, and you didn't question anything.

 

"Oh, no, this is terrible," the driver groaned before grabbing his radio transmitter and clicking a few buttons. You faintly heard him mutter the name of another bus driver and they talked for a while before the driver sighed in annoyance.

 

"I swear — it's 1am, we're in the friggin' middle of nowhere, and there are two poor kids waiting to go home."

 

That made you open an eye. Two kids?

 

In curiosity, you tried to casually glance behind you to see an equally surprised male. He was tall and semi-toned with gelled black hair and piercings. He wore a baggy grey sweater and had a duffel bag slung over his shoulder, eyes glinting onyx. In short, he seemed to be the type of person your mom would not like you hanging around with.

 

His eyes met yours, and you swiftly turned away. The bus driver was still on the radio, trying to figure out what was wrong with his bus, but when he got off, he simply shook his head at you.

 

"It's gonna be a long night for me. I suggest you guys better find your way back to the city if you've got places to be."

 

"Um, actually... I don't mind."

 

You could feel the boy's inquisitive gaze on the back of your head, but you paid no attention. Nothing mattered at all, really. Not cram school, nor homework, and certainly not yourself.

 

*

 

Bobby couldn't help but stare at the odd-looking girl sitting apart from him.

 

He'd naturally eyed her the entire bus ride since he was sitting in the back of the bus, while she was all the way in the front. She hadn't budged an inch, almost like an immobile statue, which he found rather odd. Every five minutes or so, thoughts occasionally popped into his head, noting simple observations.

 

She looked like as young as a high school student, but she wasn't wearing her uniform.

 

Bobby thought hard. University freshman?

 

Nobody else was with her, her arms were tightly crossed, on guard for anyone or anything.

 

He was cautious to guess this one. Lone wolf.

 

Finally, his eyes pinned onto her bag, which must've been at least twice her size.

 

Bobby tilted his head with a vague expression on his face. He knew he shouldn't have been assuming anything, and her bag could've contained mere textbooks and study notes, but something clicked for him. Everything - her clothes, body language, all the way down to what she was carrying beside her screamed out one thing:

 

Runaway.

 

Bobby straightened up as the bus driver sighed sadly. "It's gonna be a long night for me. I suggest you guys better find your way back to the city if you've got places to be."

 

Shrugging, Bobby grabbed his duffel bag, when the girl finally spoke up, voice serious and hollow.

 

"Um, actually... I don't mind."

 

The bus driver shared a quizzical look with him before he let out a meek laugh, "Oh no, you should go. It's much too late to be walking around, plus, it's shady around these streets. Actually... hey — kid, do me a favour and safely guide her to another bus stop, will ya?"

 

The driver caught Bobby's eye and jabbed a thumb to the girl. A twinkle of amusement took over his gaze as Bobby stood up.

 

"Oh no--"

 

"What are you waiting for?"

 

At the sound of the low, mischievous voice, you blinked up to stare at the stranger. Boy, was he taller than you expected. Bobby nodded at you before getting off the bus.

 

After an encouraging nod from the bus driver, you unsurely grabbed your bag and followed him out the door. It was pitch black outside, the only lights flickering dimly in the darkness. Bobby was a little ways ahead, but he seemed to be waiting for you. As soon as you hurried over to him, he turned around and started to walk.

 

"Wait."

 

Bobby waited, a look of puzzlement gracing his features.

 

"Thanks, but I'm not taking another bus."

 

Bobby continued to stare, making you shift uncomfortably.

 

"So, um, you don't have to me to the bus stop."

 

You expected him to refute, but Bobby just shrugged and turned around. "Okay."

 

Wow, you blinked at his bluntness, silently gawking as he strode off. Instead of chasing him though, you simply turned around and marched off. Okay, then. I'll go my own way.

 

You your heel and marched off towards the only direction to go through - an alleyway. It was odd, you were normally never scared when it came to walking home by yourself, but wait, no - this time, you weren't going home. You weren't sure where to go, exactly.

 

A rustling sound came from the trashcans lined against the wall, and you gulped, silently frozen.

 

It's not scary, it's not scary, you reminded yourself. You're gonna be walking by yourself all the time. You're 18, you'll be fine!

 

Suddenly, there was a large bang as you stared down at the trashcans. A lid had dropped to the floor. A drunkard had been sitting beside it, and his beady, drowsy eyes were fixed on you as he let out a wide grin.

 

Nope, you were smarter than that. Swallowing, you turned back around towards the direction of the bus and kept your head down. The drunkard staggered to his feet, however, as if he was intent on following you.

 

You let out a small whimper and your feet travelled faster and faster as you could hear footsteps behind you. In the distance, you could make out Bobby's silhouette before breaking out into a full-fledged sprint.

 

Meanwhile, Bobby was whistling a tune absentmindedly. Should he have walked with you, after all? It was quite dangerous around the area — he knew that for a fact. His pace slowed down to a stop and he hesitated to turn back around. Should I—

 

"Darling!"

 

Bobby glanced over his shoulder and was almost knocked over as he was tackled in a back hug. "Whoa!"

 

"Honey bun! Where were you? I was looking all over for you."

 

Honey bun—what the? Bobby was going to ask if the chick was insane when he noticed it was you. You gazed at him affectionately and pouted up at him.

 

Baffled and half-amused, Bobby raised an eyebrow and lowered his voice. "Are you high?"

 

Shooting him a glare, you frowned and tilted your head cutely. "Aren't we going on the bus, honey?"

 

Bobby blinked in incredulousness as a shady man a few metres away from you two caught his eye. He didn't like the lustful look on the man's face and understood the situation right away.

 

Bobby lowered his face until it was right in front of yours and pretended to gaze lovingly at you. "What will you do if I help you?"

 

You bit the inside of your lip, but decided that he seemed nicer compared to the other creep. "Anything."

 

"Anything, hm?" Bobby smirked before reaching out and placing his hands on your cheeks. Your breath hitched in your throat as he smoothed your cheek and without warning, smushed them together, making your lips jut out like a pufferfish.

 

"Aww, my little cutie, there you were!" He smiled widely, eyes curving into happy crescent moons. His smile lit up his whole face as he put a reassuring arm around your shoulders. "Oppa didn't see you! Let’s go on our date now, okay?"

 

“Okay!" you responded and purposely made your voice louder. "Oh, oppa, your muscles are getting so big! Didn’t you say that you were a black belt in taekwondo?"

 

"Of course, baby, I'd beat up any old creep who gets in your way."

 

That made the man tense up and leave. Your gaze followed him as the creep disappeared into the opposite direction, and when you were far enough from him, you exhaled.

 

“Commenting on these guns? Smooth,” Bobby flexed his arms and snickered. You quickly turned embarrassed and stepped away from his arm around you.

 

"S-Sorry about that," you mumbled, cheeks inflamed.

 

"I did what an 'oppa' is supposed to do," he shrugged, and when you gave him an unamused look, he chuckled. In a few minutes, he'd already walked with you to the bus stop, and luckily, there were many bright lights and people walking around everywhere.

 

"Well, here we are. Unless you'd like me to take you home."

 

You shook your head and softened. "I think I'll manage."

 

"Cool. I'll be leaving then," he nodded at you as he spun on his heel, but you couldn't just let him leave so easily. Before you even knew it, your hand shot out and you grabbed the hem of his sleeve. “U-Um—"

 

Bobby blinked.

 

"Thank you," your cheeks turned rosy again. You didn't know what had gotten into you to act so suddenly like that, but your instincts had kicked in.

 

Bobby's gaze softened for a split second as he crossed his arms over his chest and leaned against the bus shelter. "I almost forgot. You told me you'd do something for me in return, no?"

 

Your jaw automatically opened. Crap, I almost forgot about that!

 

"You did say you'd do anything, right? I wonder what I should ask for in return..." Bobby tapped a quizzical finger against his lip, thinking hard.

 

Many thoughts — scary thoughts — were filling your mind all at once. Sure, he seemed nice for helping you, but what if he made you do something insane? Something against the law? You cursed yourself for saying you'd do anything and prepared for the worst. Would he demand money from you? No, money didn't matter — what if he threatened your life? Did something to harm you? Kidnap you? Force himself onto you? What if—

 

An eruption of chuckles escaped his mouth as a warm hand rested upon your head. You broke out of your stupor as Bobby gave your head a playful tousle.

 

"You don't have to look like I'm gonna sell you to a brothel or something. Just promise me you'll go home tonight."

 

You furrowed your eyebrows. "Huh?"

 

“Look, I don't know what's depressing you, but you should go home. Don't run away from it — it's the worst thing you can do. Trust me," he leaned in to whisper, "unless you have some terrible, abusive folks at home. Or some horrendous circumstances, then I'll rethink it."

 

You lowered your head, slightly ashamed. “How could you tell I was running away?"

 

"Eh, you got that newbie vibe. I'll just tell it to you straight though — don't run away. Face your problems." Bobby gave you a pensive smile. "If you don't, it'll just grow into regrets. Take it from someone who’s lived through the nightmare."

 

Bobby's smile deepened as kicked himself off from the post. "Your bus is here. Head on home, honey bun."

 

But your gaze didn't leave his. "I... your name..."

 

"Oh, we didn't even exchange names! Give me a sec here..." he pulled out a pen from his back pocket and a napkin, quickly jotting his number and name down before passing it to you.

 

"Today was surprisingly fun. Let me know if you need another pep talk or someone to play the role of your boyfriend again," he winked and saluted. As soon as you took the napkin, he was already gone.

 

Gazing down at the numbers, you touched the name and read it aloud to yourself.

 

"Bobby..."

 

The name ignited a fire of courage inside your heart, and you took your first step onto the bus back home.

 

*

 

It had been a week since that incident, and you had had quite a long talk with your mom. You two still weren't on speaking terms for now, but you had a feeling she'd see reason soon.

 

The mysterious Bobby had been right — it would've been stupid for you to run away that night. You might've even gotten yourself in more danger, and that would've been way worse than your circumstances now.

 

Even though he'd left his phone number, you hadn't gotten a chance to talk to him. Your phone had been taken away for two weeks as punishment for coming home late that night, but you suspected it was just your mom's way of making sure you were safe. You'd rather not have a phone compared to being chased by creeps like that guy the other night.

 

Still, you thought about Bobby every day, and felt bad about not messaging him as the weeks went by. On your way back from school, however, you decided to call him from a public phone booth, and hoped that it wasn't creepy to do that. He had answered, and assured that he would meet you on the bus — the same bus the both of you took when you got stranded that night.

 

Inside the bus, your heart thumped as you wondered what you would say to him. You wondered when Bobby’s stop was — he was very vague about it. As your mind wandered and you waited for him, you became sleepy. And sleepier... and slee…pi…er…

 

Half-asleep, you sensed someone sit down beside you. Opening your heavy eyelids very slightly, you could roughly make out a black high school uniform. The person sat with his legs apart, carelessly. Annoyed that it was some high school punk, you turned away and continued to wonder about Bobby.

 

"Passengers, this is the last stop. Last stop before the bus returns back to the station."

 

Last stop?! Your eyes snapped open. Now you understood. The stupid guy had stood you up!

 

"Bobby... I swear..." you muttered under your breath.

 

"Yes, honey?" A playful voice murmured. That voice made your breath stop... it came from beside you—

 

Slowly, you turned around to see him. The boy sitting beside you had been Bobby, and he was wearing a high school uniform, eyes twinkling in amusement.

 

You gaped and pointed an accusing finger at him. "Y-You... You were a h-high school..."

 

"Pleased to meet you. I'm Kim Jiwon, a high school senior. You can call me either Bobby or Jiwon, but personally, I'd much rather you call me honey," he winked.

 
 
MUZIKMASTER SAYS------------------------
Oh man, this scenario is so long... ah well! I really needed to write this and I hope you guys felt a connection to the underlying storyline about pressure and whatnot. I hope you guys aren't feeling too much of that stress! :)
I'm back after somewhat of a hiatus... Sorry for making you all wait! Truthfully I'm still insanely busy due to schoolwork, but I'm gonna try my best to squeeze in some updates. I'm hoping I can!
Thank you for always being so patient! And please remember that I am reading all your requests, but I can't guarantee I'll be writing all of them, so please don't repost the same request/spam! Remember - this has half of my own scenarios and half of your requested ones! ^^
Thank you lovelies for your kindness~ Please continue to support! :D 
Have an amaaaaazing day, wherever you are.