When idol Taehyun falls for a cashier and watches over her in secret

#ᴍᴜᴢɪᴋ's scenario simulator • request now! ʙᴇɢɪɴ ɢᴀᴍᴇ?

 

 

 CHARACTER   WINNER'S TAEHYUN
 REQUESTED BY   itztae
 LISTEN TO   She - VROMANCE
 
***
 

It all started with one, single command.

 

"Taehyun, go buy some toothpaste."

 

Nam Taehyun, famous vocalist and composer of idol group WINNER, squinted at the shadowy silhouette that stood in his room. He had just started to get some well-deserved shuteye when this guy ruined his peace.

 

"What?"

 

The figure the lights, making Taehyun hiss in annoyance and retreat under the dark covers. The culprit, leader Kang Seungyoon, didn't even flinch, but merely scrolled through his phone in boredom, plopping down on his bed.

 

"There was a unanimous decision between the four of us. You used the last of it, and now we don't have any more."

 

"Why me? Get the managers to do it," Taehyun groaned. "You guys always bug me when I'm about to sleep."

 

Seungyoon snatched away the blankets, making Taehyun whine. "Come on, hyung, it's 4 in the morning!"

 

"Exactly," Seungyoon replied as a matter-of-factly. "Which is why nobody will be outside, and you won't be recognized. You used the toothpaste, you pay for it. Now get out. Out. Out. Out.”

 

With every 'out', Seungyoon kicked him out of his bed, making Taehyun fall face-first onto the floor. He whipped his head around and shot daggers at him with his furious gaze, "HYUNG!"

 

"Don't worry, bud. I'll keep the covers warm," Seungyoon waved a lazy hand at him. "Now go on, get.”

 

Taehyun pursed his lips and sighed, rising to his feet. If only their fans could see Seungyoon now, and not the romantic, guitar-playing musician they all saw. He slipped into a baggy hoodie and long pants before putting his hood over his head and grabbing his wallet.

 

"Hey, Nam Taehyun," Seungyoon called out.

 

Trying very, very hard not to let a string of curses slip out, Taehyun turned around to face him with a strained smile.

 

“Yes… hyung?"

 

"Jinwoo hyung wants an ice cream bar."

 

*

 

"Stupid toothpaste and that guitar-playing, 'romantic guy' Seungyoon hyung - stupid ice cream bars with stupid--gah!"

 

Taehyun’s mutters reflected his current status - half-groggy and barely awake. One thing was for sure - none of the fans would be able to recognize him with the grumpy expression he had on his face.

 

With heavy steps, he entered a nearby 24-Hour convenience store, and without thinking much, headed straight for the toothpaste. He wasn't going to get anything in between the way of him and his sleep anymore, and if toothpaste was in the way, he'd buy all the toothpaste in the world to get Seungyoon to stop nagging at him.

 

He grabbed three for good measure, and Jinwoo's ice cream.

 

"'Oh, I know, Seungyoon, why doesn't the maknae go buy everything?'" his voice went all high-pitched as he pretended to be Jinwoo, then his voice went deep and husky. "'Oh, great idea, hyung! And on top of that, I'll go wake him up even though he must be exhausted from all our practice sessions and oh, while I'm at it, I should probably steal his bed too - yes, that's for the best--"

 

"Erm... Rough day?"

 

In dread, Taehyun raised his gaze to see you, a short girl with a dark bob and multiple piercings. Though your appearance seemed chic, the amused twinkle in your eyes captivated him.

 

"It's okay, I'm the maknae in my house too, so I totally get it," you smiled while scanning his items. "Your brothers told you to get some stuff for you, huh? What is it for, a penalty? Lost a game of rock-paper-scissors?"

 

Taehyun blinked. Brothers?

 

"Your hair's a pretty blond-colour by the way. I wish I could dye my hair that colour, but my parents would freak. They're really overprotective, you know," you laughed in a high-pitched manner, which startled him.

 

"My..." he touched his hair in bewilderment, "you don't know who I am?"

 

That made the you pause for a second. "Yes, I do."

 

Taehyun in a breath and began to regret bringing a disguise. He knew he shouldn't have listened to Seungyoon telling him he didn't need one at this hour.

 

"I've seen you and your brothers sometimes when I'm on my late-night shift... Don't take it the wrong way, 'cause I'm totally not trying to be creepy or anything, but," you looked sheepish. "Sorry, um - forget I said anything. I tend to blabber a lot... Sorry."

 

Taehyun's mouth almost parted in shock. This cashier didn't know he was an idol, you thought the other Winner members were his brothers, and were you blushing in embarrassment?

 

He had to say something. Anything.

 

"Actually--"

 

"I'm back! Sorry, I'll cover you now," someone came into the convenience store, and he presumed it was another worker. Taehyun accidentally turned around to spot another female worker, and her eyes went as round as saucers when she caught a glimpse of his face.

 

“W-W-Winner’s Nam Taehyun?!"

 

That was his cue to leave. Without taking any change, he slapped a bill on the counter and grabbed his bag of things before fleeing out the door and across the park.

 

Panting, he leaned his head against a tree and calmed down his thumping heart. Over his shoulder, he could still see the new worker waving her arms in shock.

 

If you hadn't recognized him before, surely you'd recognize him now.

 

*

 

Whenever he passed by the convenience store, Taehyun avoided going inside at all costs, but that didn't mean he didn't peer into the window secretly to catch a glimpse of you from time to time. To others, you might've looked average, but he found you cute, albeit a little dorky. He never had the courage, or a legitimate reason to go inside though, and didn't want fans to expose him again.

 

A month later, the Winner members were returning from their late schedule after filming for their variety show, Half-Moon Friends.

 

"I want ice cream," Jinwoo loudly proclaimed.

 

"When do you ever not want ice cream?" Mino sighed.

 

"Hyung!" Seunghoon shouted to the manager, who was driving them back to their dorm. "Can we stop by the convenience store?"

 

"Just for a little bit," their manager agreed, and Seunghoon pumped his fist. “Rock-paper-scissors. Loser buys everyone ice cream."

 

"Are you sure you don't mean toothpaste?" Seungyoon teased as he hit Taehyun lightly with his elbow. Taehyun glared at him. He really, really did not want to go through that ordeal again. He had to win this time and get one of the older members to suffer.

 

"Real men put out rock!" Mino said. “Ready? Rock-paper-scissors!”

 

As if it was planned, everyone put out paper, while the naive Taehyun put out rock. His face fell.

 

"YES!" Seunghoon and Jinwoo high-fived each other while Mino whooped. Seungyoon grinned and clapped Taehyun on the back. "Have fun, maknae."

 

"You guys planned this! This is a conspiracy!" Taehyun complained, outraged.

 

"I want Melona!"

 

"Oh, me too."

 

"Get me that fish-shaped one with the ice-cream inside it!"

 

"Jaws, for me."

 

Taehyun rolled his eyes. "Yeah, yeah."

 

Grudgingly, he slipped out the car with his hood securely over his head, this time. Even though it was still late, he couldn't risk what happened last time to happen again. He didn't exactly want his ice cream escapades to be ranked first place as one of the most-searched queries on Naver.

 

He grabbed all the ice creams and a few for himself and the manager before hurrying to the cashier. Luckily, no other customers were inside and he secretly hoped the cashier wouldn't be the one that recognized him before.

 

"So, Nam Taehyun-sshi, we meet again."

 

Taehyun's head snapped up to meet the eyes of the cute, dark-haired cashier. Inwardly, he sighed.

 

"So you know who I really am now?"

 

"Yes."

 

"Okay, fine. What would you like? A signature?" He searched his pockets for a pen. "Please don't post this on the internet, though, ‘kay? I'm trusting you on this."

 

You laughed. ”I don't want your signature. I wanted to give you this," you slid a wad of money back to him.

 

Taehyun drew his eyebrows together in confusion, "Huh?"

 

Your voice had a hint of amusement in it. "That ice cream and toothpaste? You tossed me an $100 bill and ran out the door. For something that costed less than five bucks in total, I’d definitely want my change back, wouldn’t you?”

 

"I..." Taehyun was at a loss for words and couldn't help but add lamely, "...huh?"

 

"I'll take a five from there, though, to pay for all of this," you motioned to the ice creams and bagged them before smiling coyly. "Have a nice day, Taehyun-sshi."

 

"B-Bye," he stuttered, still stunned by what had happened. As soon as he clambered back into the van, he was met by complaints.

 

"Nam Taehyun, what took you so long?!"

 

"C'mon, maknae."

 

"Jaws! Jaws! Jaws!"

 

Taehyun rolled his eyes and threw the Jaws bar at Mino, who caught it with a toothy grin. "It's a shark-shaped ice cream! What more could you want?"

 

As the bag was passed around from member to member, Seunghoon fished out his Melona bar and peered into the bag in surprise to see a little, fluorescent post-it note inside. "Hey, Taehyun, what's this?" he held it up into the air. "It's addressed to you."

 

"Oh, a love note? Got yourself a girlfriend? You're lucky manager hyung went to the bathroom!" Mino cackled.

 

Taehyun's heart palpitated as he snatched away the note, "Gimme that." He quickly opened it up with trembling fingers to see your neat handwriting. He scanned it quickly.

 

Seungyoon peered at it from beside him and read aloud, "Each time you pass by the convenience store, I notice, so don't be shy and feel free to say hi whenever. I don't bite - whoa! She gave him her phone number!"

 

"WHAT?!" Mino and Seunghoon gawked as Taehyun pulled it away from prying eyes and quickly saved your number in his phone.

 

"Don't do anything that will get you into trouble," Jinwoo lightly advised, but his nags went in one ear and out the other, as Taehyun felt his cheeks redden.

 

He'd call you tonight for sure.

 
 
MUZIKMASTER SAYS------------------------
Thanks for all the requests! :) Hope you're all enjoying it so far.  Seems like there's a lot of NCT fans (especially Jaehyun), huh? Jaehyun is my bias, so... xD
I'll try to take as many requests as I can, but this is mainly for my author's choice oneshots as well, so please don't take it to heart if I don't take your request! ㅠ ㅠ