Closer

Can You Hear Me?

Junhong sat on one of the stools at his kitchen island, twirling around helplessly with a pout on his lips and his hands over his heart. His phone was currently sitting on the table top and he glanced at it whenever he could.

He'd received a text from Yongguk not too long ago asking whether tonight would be their first dinner together. It'd been two days since their encounter in the supermarket and Zelo hadn't taken any initiative to text the neighbour first.

Junhong had replied back a little too hastily saying that it was okay for him to come over whenever and he told him to please warn him before arriving so he could get prepared. Yongguk replied with a short thank you along with an "I'll see you soon" and Junhong's heart jumped.

The last time he'd had any kind of dinner with another person was when he visited his parents three Chuseok's ago, he didn't like leaving his house much and interacting with the extended family members was exhausting they knew that.

He pressed his feet to the floor successfully stopping himself from turning any further and he stood up. Junhong stumbled over towards the stove suddenly aware of how stupid it was to spin around for over 5 minutes.

Junhong checked on the soft tofu stew he had made and he was pleased to see that it was bubbling in a soothing manner, he turned off the stove and let it rest, he didn't want the tofu to break up too much.

He noticed the screen from his phone lighting up and he grabbed it in anticipation, hoping for something from Yongguk. And he was more than relieved when he saw that it was indeed his neighbour.

 

From: Yongguk

To: Junhong

I'm heading out from the studio now, I'll be over in 10 minutes

 

From: Junhong

To: Yongguk

Alright, I'll get things ready ^^

 

From: Yongguk

To: Junhong

So how was your day?

 

From: Junhong

To: Yongguk

?? You can ask me about it when you get here 

 

From: Yongguk

To: Junhong

Things are easier over text you know? I know we'll be awkward... so I want to talk to you freely now

 

Junhong's eyes widened and he blushed. He hesitated before texting back, unsure of what he was supposed to say to that. His heart felt warm and he liked how consierate Yongguk seemed.

But then his thoughts twisted what seemed like genuinity into what could be mere pity.

 

From: Yongguk

To: Junhong

I made you uncomfortable didn't I haha. I'll be there soon, see you then Junhong :)

 

And Junhong cursed at himself for making such a wonderful person feel uneasy.

 

Junhong could see a shadow in front of his door and he settled down the bowls he was holding. He wiped his hands on his apron and noticed his phone lighting up, he smiled to himself.

"Good evening Junhong-ah." Yongguk greeted as soon as the door opened and Junhong smiled at him in response, shyly opening the door so that he could come inside. 

The formalities were dropped when it came to their names but the two still conversed in formal language, be it through text or in person. Yongguk removed his shoes and gestured to the sink, hoping that he could wash his hands.

Junhong nodded at him and continued plating up the food, the stew was already on the table along with a number of small pickled side dishes. Yongguk sat down on one side and Junhong scooped the rice, handing it to his neighbour first.

"Thank you, this looks amazing. It's been so long since I had an actual home cooked meal." Yongguk exclaimed and from his expression he seemed excited. Junhong reached over for his notebook.

"I hope you enjoy it, I'm sorry it's so simple." Yongguk shook his head at the humble statement and he thanked Junhong with a gummy grin before he slowly began eating.

Dinner was quiet, they both didn't have much to say and aside from the odd question here and there it was silent. They finished eating and Yongguk offered to help Junhong with the dishes but he refused, instead he told Yongguk he'd package some leftovers for him to take home.

Yongguk helplessly went to go sit on the couch and he only just noticed how organized Junhong's home was. He had shelves lined with books and numerous candles could be seen strewn on the furniture.

It was clear Junhong demonstrated a lot of self care and Yongguk admired him for that. He noticed a cardboard box near the bottom of the bookcase and he curiously looked at it since it was open.

He was surprised to see numerous albums and CD's inside.

 

Junhong was internally freaking out at the whole situation and to be honest all he wanted to do was cry. The air was so painfully awkward and he only had himself to blame.

He begins to remind himself that he shouldn't bother socializing and maybe he was meant to be alone after all. Trying to befriend Yongguk was a huge mistake... anxiety boils in his stomach and he feels sick.

He finishes washing the dishes and he remains still for a moment, afraid to turn around and face the biggest obstacle he'd come across in a long while. Junhong held his breath and turned around.

"Junhong are you alright?" Yongguk asks and Junhong can't tell if he's concerned or sympathetic, he hates how his mind warps even the most simple things. He purses his lips and doesn't answer.

"Hey look, I know tonight might not have gone as smoothly as we would've liked." Yongguk begins speaking and Junhong's eyes widened, was Yongguk going to leave? Run away like everyone else?

"I'm not afraid to deepen what we have. But we have to do this together, alright?" Yongguk offers him a gentle smile and Junhong bites his lips, the anxiety in his stomach lightly melting.

He nods.

 

Closer - Oh My Girl

 

----------------------

A/N

Sorry this chapter wasn't too good xD

Yongguk's a quiet man, and Junhong is introverted so yeah things can get a lil complicated

Thank you to my commenters, readers, voters and subscribers~ :D

I have no clue why this is gaining so many subs LOL

- Airi