Stay

Can You Hear Me?

"Yongguk hyung!" said male falls out of his chair when he hears his front door being slammed open, followed by numerous curses and the sound of something breaking on the ground.

"I told you not to slam it open!" he could recognize Youngjae yelling and Yongguk assumed he was yelling at none other than Daehyun. He picked himself off the floor and sighed,

"But I wanted to have a dramatic entrance! It's not my fault he keeps a frame behind the door, we told him to move it." Daehyun's voice sounds muffled through a pout and Yongguk rolls his eyes.

"What are you guys doing here?" he asks as he makes his way down the hallway, seeing Himchan and Jongup quietly cleaning up the mess by the doorway while Daehyun and Youngjae bicker.

"We didn't break your painting hyung, we swear!" Daehyun says frantically and Yongguk raises an eyebrow, wondering if the younger really thought he hadn't heard their crime.

"That's right hyung we didn't break it. He did." Youngjae said as he pointed to his boyfriend and Daehyun feigned hurt and ignorance. Yongguk rolled his eyes once more and passed the dust pan to Himchan.

"You owe me 40$ Daehyun. Anyway, what're you guys doing here?" he repeats his initial question once the mess is cleaned and his friends have invaded his living room. He has a good inkling why they're here, considering how well dressed they are.

"It is a Friday night my good friend, meaning we are going clubbing." Himchan declares as he stands up, striking a triumphant pose whilst Youngjae and Daehyun harmonize to create some kind of chorus and Jongup uses his phone to focus the spotlight on his boyfriend.

"How long did it take you guys to rehearse that?" Yongguk asks seriously and he smirks when he sees the embarrassment washing over them. Jongup turns off the light and brings his knees to his chest.

"5 times, I kept getting the timing wrong." he admitted and they all burst into a fit of laughter. Yongguk looked at them fondly, it'd been awhile since they had all gotten together.

He often saw Daehyun and Youngjae due to their input on his demo tracks but he rarely saw Himchan and Jongup whom were busy with their own careers. He purses his lips and glances at the clock, seeing how it's 9pm.

"Can't we go to a bar or something?" he murmurs. Yongguk's not exactly fond of spending time in a loud place that smells of alcohol and mild around a bunch of young adults.

"Bars are too classy for young-ins like us hyung. We need to mingle with people." Youngjae waves his hands nonchalantly as he sips on a wine glass filled with water that Daehyun is presenting to him like he's a prince.

"But you're all dating already!" he exclaims and the couples smile lovingly at one another before they all collectively frown at Yongguk who pouts because he's feeling really attacked right now.

"Yeah we are, but your sorry isn't. So get yourself dressed in something decent." Himchan snaps his fingers at him to his displeasure and when Yongguk doesn't move he starts counting down, which causes the eldest to scramble to his bedroom.

 

"Hyung though seriously, you've been really distant lately. What's going on?" Youngjae asks as they all settle down in a small booth at the local diner. Jongup and Daehyun insisted they get something to eat first.

"Haven't I always been distant?" Yongguk answers seriously as he writes down their usual orders on the small order sheet. He looks at the younger blankly, and no one said anything because they knew he was right.

"More so than usual hyung. You don't even attempt to participate in the group chat anymore." Daehyun says as he hands the waitress their menus and order sheet, giving her a polite smile.

"I've just been distracted." he answers honestly. Himchan gives him a knowing look which he decides to ignore, he doesn't need his friend analyzing him right now. 

"I've been trying to befriend someone who's completely different from me. It's a little hard." Yongguk admits and the table goes quiet for a moment. The waitress returns with their orders and she places a napkin with a number scribbled on it in front of Daehyun.

"He's my boyfriend." Youngjae hisses as he shoves the napkin back into her hand and she apologizes before rushing away from the table. Daehyun grins at him cheekily and Youngjae flicks his forehead.

"If he's so different, then why are you trying so hard? Don't get me wrong Yongguk, but, you're not the type to throw yourself out there in order to make friends. Do you mean friends, like our level? Or, do you like him?" Himchan delivers his final blow and Yongguk freezes.

The table remains silent and the food in front of them begins to grow cool. Yongguk doesn't have a response. Himchan sighs and he begins distributing napkins to the group.

"Think about it Yongguk, maybe you'll be less distracted." Himchan says to him and he nods. Slumping into his seat as he takes the first bite of his burger, he chews it sloppily and sighs.

 

Yongguk downs his 5th shot of the night and clinks his beer bottle with Daehyun as they drink once more. The music is loud and intoxicating, and Yongguk loved the vibe.

They were currently in a club that he used to be the DJ for, they still recognized him and after he'd had his fun greeting all of his previous co workers, he and the guys found a nice booth and started drinking.

"Oi Himchan, where's my phone?" Yongguk yells over the blaring speakers and Himchan squints at him as he sips his wine because he's too classy for beer and soju.

"Phone!" Yongguk repeats louder this time and he makes a phone gesture to show what he means. Himchan reaches for Yongguk's jacket that he's sitting on and he fishes out the device.

"Thanks!" he yells and Himchan nods at him before he starts cackling at Youngjae and Daehyun who are trying too hard to not to eat one another on the dance floor. Yongguk eyes their grinding before he lets out a loud whistle which Himchan joins him in on.

Yongguk closes his eyes as soon as he turns on his phone screen and he takes a moment before he blinks and let's his sore eyes adjust to the light. It's currently 1am and he can see a number of text messages.

He checks them and can see a number of messages from Junhong. Yongguk takes a swig of water hoping that the liquid will soothe his drunken state but it proves to be useless.

 

From: Junhong

To: Yongguk 

Are you coming over for dinner tonight?

 

From: Junhong 

To: Yongguk

Or maybe you're at the studio? Need me to bring you something? Fast food isn't healthy you know!

 

From: Junhong

To: Yongguk

Well, don't work too hard. I'll bring you something for breakfast so make sure you're hungry in the morning :D

 

From: Junhong

To: Yongguk

Thank you again... for the music lesson. I know it's hard... dealing with someone like me. But I'm really thankful and I'm trying.

 

Yongguk immediately feels a pang of guilt in his heart and his fingers are too uncoordinated to text. So without thinking twice Yongguk calls him. He waits as a few rings go by before Junhong picks up.

"Hey Junhong! I'm sorry for not replying, I'm out with my friends right now and we already ate so don't worry!" Yongguk says as clearly as he can with his slur and the club music in the background.

"..." he doesn't seem to hear a reply and he frowns. Yongguk mouths to Himchan that he's going to a more quiet area and the other nods in response. Yongguk shuffles his way out of the booth and steps outside.

"Okay I'm outside now, sorry about the noise." Yongguk apologizes and he sees a group off to his left looking at him dangerously as they smoke. He makes his way around the corner and waits for Junhong to reply.

"Can you hear me?" he asks and suddenly the call is cut off. Yongguk frowns at the screen and his eyes widen when he realizes what he's done. Of course Junhong can't hear him.

"." he curses as he dashes inside. Yongguk shoves his way through dancing people and finds his booth in a hurry, a panicked expression on his face as he reaches for his jacket.

"I'm leaving okay? I messed up real bad. I'll text you guys tomorrow!" he says before he heads out. Yongguk doesn't even bother flagging down a taxi and he breaks into a run.

His apartment complex is only 10 minutes away from the club by car, so with his running and few breaks here and there Yongguk made it home in 20 minutes. He takes his time on the stairs to avoid the risk of falling and dying and he reaches Junhong's door.

Yongguk pounds on it loudly and he hopes that Junhong feels the vibrations or something. After a moment of spamming Junhong's phone with text messages the door opens.

As soon as it does, Yongguk throws himself at Junhong almost violently as he pulls him into a hug. He pulls away after a moment and he can see the red rims of Junhong's eyes.

"I'm so sorry Junhong I-" he's cut off as Junhong presses a finger against his lips and he looks at the younger with wide eyes. Junhong takes a deep breath and he gently pulls Yongguk into his home.

"Stay with me." 

 

Stay - BLACKPINK