Black and White

Of Gold and Obsidian
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Baekhyun woke up in a cold, sterile hospital room to the steady beeping of the heart monitor. Everything hurt like hell, and it was painful to even keep his eyes open. Baekhyun winced at the dull throb in his temple as flashbacks of his ordeal came flooding back. For a brief moment, all of the fear and intense emotions overwhelmed him, drowning him in a state of abject helplessness. Tears pricked his eyes as he struggled to draw air into his lungs.

 

Chanyeol. Where was Chanyeol?

 

Baekhyun scanned his surroundings for any sign of Chanyeol, hoping that he would be sitting in a corner somewhere, waiting for Baekhyun to awaken. The fact that he was now in the hospital probably meant that Chanyeol had arrived at the scene to rescue him. A quick scan of the room revealed that it was empty, and his blood momentarily ran cold. Could anything have happened to Chanyeol? The kidnappers wouldn’t have hurt him too, would they?

 

Baekhyun let out a choked sob and attempted to sit up on the bed, hysteria rising in his throat. Just then, the door opened, revealing an exhausted looking Chanyeol.

 

“You’re awake!” Chanyeol exclaimed loudly, immediately rushing to Baekhyun’s side. His hair was dishevelled and there were heavy bags under his eyes from the lack of sleep, but seeing that Baekhyun was finally awake, all of the lethargy just slipped off him like a silk blanket. He was beyond relieved to see Baekhyun open his eyes again, although it pained him greatly to see all the scars and bruises that decorated Baekhyun’s small frame.

 

“You’re safe now, Baekhyun. You’re going to be okay,” Chanyeol murmured. He planted a kiss on Baekhyun’s temple, choking up at the sight of Baekhyun’s teary, panicked expression. “I’m here right now, I won’t let anything or anyone hurt you anymore. I’m so sorry, Baekhyun. I really am.”

 

“Are you okay, Chanyeol? Are you hurt anywhere?” Baekhyun whispered, searching for any sign of injuries on Chanyeol.

 

“I’m fine, Baek. Don’t worry about me,” Chanyeol hummed reassuringly. “When I found you, the perpetrators were already gone. I swear to god, when I find out who did this to you, we’re going to make them pay. Big time,” he continued sharply, eyes glinting with hatred.

 

Baekhyun squeezed his eyes shut tightly, taking in small, measured breaths. The warm, familiar scent of Chanyeol set his mind at ease instantly. He knew that with Chanyeol by his side, he was going to get through this just fine. He had always been a strong person, and he was going to heal quickly both emotionally and physically. Baekhyun was going to be strong for both of them.

 

And that was what he thought, until he realised that his right arm was in a cast. A million conflicting thoughts ran through his mind as panic began to set in. Why was it that he couldn’t feel his arm at all? Just how much damage was a metal bat capable of? Baekhyun could only sob in horror as he failed to even move his fingers.

 

This didn’t bode well at all.

 

“Chanyeol,” Baekhyun cried out in desperation. “My arm. I can’t feel my arm. I can’t feel it, Chanyeol! Why can’t I move my arm?”

 

Chanyeol’s eyes widened at the sound of Baekhyun’s panicked sobs, and he quickly enveloped his lover into a gentle hug. “Shhh, it’s okay, Baek, it’s okay. You just had your arm operated on yesterday. You are currently under very strong painkillers and I’m guessing that the anaesthesia hasn’t worn off yet. But don’t worry, because the doctors are confident that you are going to recover well. With physiotherapy, you can recover 80% of your arm function. You’ll be able to live normally, Baekhyun. You’re going to be okay.”

 

Chanyeol planted a reassuring kiss on his forehead, only to be surprised when Baekhyun began to sob even harder.

 

“Only 80%? That’s not good enough,” Baekhyun breathed in disbelief, his heart pounding violently against his ribcage. “What about my violin? Will I be able to play the violin anymore?”

 

Chanyeol winced, knowing full well how much Baekhyun loved the violin. Although Baekhyun would be able to make good recovery, the doctors have explained that some loss of dexterity in his arm was to be expected. His heart gave a painful clench as he stared back into Baekhyun’s hopeful eyes.

 

This was all his fault. He should have been there to protect Baekhyun. How could he have let this happen? How did he never think of hiring a bodyguard for Baekhyun? He should have known that his boyfriend would be a prime target for kidnappers seeking an easy windfall. He could have prevented this.

 

At that moment, Chanyeol felt nothing but an intense self-loathing.

 

“I will find the best doctor for you. I’ll make sure your arm heals completely. I promise you that, Baekhyun. So please don’t cry, because I’m so sorry. I really am.”

 

“You better be sorry, Park Chanyeol.” A familiar growl was heard, and suddenly, Oh Sehun was by the side of the bed, grabbing Chanyeol by his collar. When Sehun threw a punch across his face, Chanyeol only stood there limply in acceptance. “When the two of you started dating, I expected that you would protect Baekhyun. I trusted that Baekhyun would be in good hands, even though I never liked you. How wrong I was,” Sehun spat, shoving Chanyeol roughly against the wall. “How can you let this happen?”

 

“Sehun!” Baekhyun cried. “Stop it! This is not Chanyeol’s fault at all!”

 

Sehun glanced over at Baekhyun’s distressed expression and reluctantly released his grasp on Chanyeol. He took in Baekhyun’s bruised and battered body, feeling the most painful twinge in his own chest.

 

“Baekhyun,” he whispered sadly, moving to kneel beside the bed. “I’m so sorry.”

 

“I’ll give the two of you some privacy,” Chanyeol mumbled, moving to shuffle out of the room. As reluctant as he was to leave the two of them alone, Chanyeol decided that this would be the best for Baekhyun. He hated to admit it, but perhaps Sehun would be better able to calm Baekhyun down.

 

As soon as Chanyeol shut the door behind him, Baekhyun spoke urgently. “Please don’t let my family know.”

 

“This is serious business, Baekhyun. How can I keep it from them? You’re in terrible condition. Your parents are going to kill me if I didn’t inform them.”

 

“Please don’t tell them, Sehun,” Baekhyun said pleadingly. “Not now, at least. I know I look like right now, and it would do them no good to see me in such a state. They are going to be so worried, Sehun. I don’t want them to worry for me. I promised them that I’d stay out of harm’s way, and I don’t want hyung to feel guilty, because he might think that all of this is his fault when it isn’t.”

 

Sehun wanted to protest, but the desperate look in Baekhyun’s eyes gave him no choice but to give in. He did not wish to agitate Baekhyun further when he knew that he was already extremely upset. Sehun looked at Baekhyun sadly, knowing that Baekhyun must be devastated on the inside. Baekhyun had been playing the violin since he was four, and the prospect of not being able to play anymore must be a very difficult pill to swallow. Sehun knew that playing the violin extended far beyond a simple hobby for Baekhyun. It consumed Baekhyun’s entire soul, and his passion for the violin burned brighter than anything.

 

“Alright, I won’t inform your family yet,” Sehun sighed heavily. “But you must know that secrets cannot be contained forever, Baekhyun. If they find out on their own it’s no fault of mine, okay?”

 

“Thank you,” Baekhyun said softly, forcing a small smile on his face. Seeing the younger male again made him feel at peace instantly. He had missed Sehun dearly, and he was glad that the one-sided cold war between the two of them had finally ended (although he must admit that he had not exactly imagined their reunion to take place under such depressing circumstances).

 

“I’m being a burden to Chanyeol, aren’t I?” Baekhyun smiled sadly. “Since the very start, he has been giving, giving, and giving. Chanyeol has done so much for me, but what have I given him in return? I’m making him worry over me. I’m causing him so much unnecessary grief,” Baekhyun sighed. “I’m a bad boyfriend.”

 

“Don’t talk rubbish, Baekhyun,” Sehun said angrily. “You’re not a burden and you’re not a bad boyfriend.”

 

“Can you loan me 5 million, Sehun?” Baekhyun continued. “I owe Chanyeol too much.”

 

“Of course,” Sehun nodded in understanding.

 

“Thank you, Sehun. I knew I could always count on you.”

 

“Then why did you choose Park Chanyeol?” Sehun muttered bitterly.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter