Christmas and Presents

Of Gold and Obsidian
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The shock of the entire incident had managed to sober everyone up. Everyone was gathered in one of the many rooms in Chanyeol’s house, watching Baekhyun get his injuries attended to. Chanyeol’s private doctor was quick and skilful as he worked on cleaning and stitching up Baekhyun’s wounds. Baekhyun tried to keep a straight face while the doctor removed the numerous glass shards. To say that it didn’t hurt would be a big fat lie, but he did not wish for his friends to worry about him.

 

“Will that leave scars?” Sehun asked anxiously. He would personally break that drunkard’s arm if Baekhyun’s smooth, unblemished skin were to be left with ugly scars.

 

“I can’t say for sure, but I think a few scars would be unavoidable,” the doctor replied with an apologetic look.

 

A sudden, loud crash made everyone jump. Chanyeol had swiped a clock off the nightstand and was now pacing around the room angrily. Irene stared at him with a mixture of surprise and fear while Kai tried to hide an amused smile.

 

“I'm sorry. I should have been there to protect the both of you,” Chanyeol sighed, hanging his head. His heart hurt to see Baekhyun injured and he was furious at himself for not watching over him closely enough. Baekhyun didn't deserve to get hurt. “It’s my fault.”

 

“Hey, don’t blame yourself, you had nothing to do with this,” Baekhyun said hurriedly, feeling bad that Chanyeol was feeling guilty for something that was completely not his fault. His heart gave a painful squeeze at Chanyeol’s downcast expression. Don’t look so sad because of me, Baekhyun wanted to say. “And a few scars wouldn’t hurt. In fact, they’ll probably make me look more manly and imposing. No one will dare to mess with me then,” he continued brightly, trying to lift the tense atmosphere in the room.

 

“No, this is all my fault,” Irene said softly, her lips quivering. “You wouldn’t have gotten injured if you weren’t trying to protect me.” Irene’s eyes were puffy and red as she shot Baekhyun a guilty expression. Baekhyun felt his heart go out to the poor thing--she must have been really traumatized.

 

“I’ll pay for your medical expenses! I can arrange for the best plastic surgeon to help you with any scars,” she continued.

 

“That won’t be necessary,” Sehun retorted sharply, shooting Irene a dirty look. “Baek doesn’t need your money.”

 

Baekhyun glared at Sehun, irritated by his rude comment. Irene had only been offering to help.

 

“Thank you Irene, but it’s alright. Don’t feel guilty over this. I’m sure I’ll heal really quickly,” Baekhyun replied with a reassuring smile on his face.

 

“It’s late and the patient must be exhausted. Let him have a good rest,” the doctor announced. He had just finished with the bandaging of Baekhyun’s arm and stood up to leave.

 

“Thanks doc,” Chanyeol said, giving him an appreciative nod. Chanyeol took a glance at his watch and was surprised at how late it had gotten. “It’s 3am already. I presume that all of you will be staying here tonight? I have enough guest rooms for all of you.”

 

“Go rest, everyone,” Baekhyun said, looking at all of their weary faces. “Sorry for making all of you worry. I’ll feel better after a good night’s sleep so please go and take a rest too.”

 

Chanyeol ushered everyone out of Baekhyun’s room and led them each to their guest rooms. After making sure that they were all comfortable in their rooms, he silently crept back to where Baekhyun was.

 

“Baekhyun? Are you asleep?” he whispered, opening the door slightly to peek in. Baekhyun’s eyes shot open at Chanyeol’s voice. He was having trouble falling asleep with all the adrenaline still in his body. The night had been way too eventful and he was still trying to wrap his mind around all that had happened.

 

Chanyeol entered the room and Baekhyun immediately blushed at the memory of their heated make-out session in the club. He felt the side of the bed sink as Chanyeol sat down on it.

 

“Can’t sleep?” Chanyeol said softly.

 

Baekhyun responded with a small nod and felt his eyes widen in surprise when Chanyeol moved to snuggle under the covers beside him. He wrapped his arms around Baekhyun’s torso and pressed his nose against Baekhyun’s neck. “You smell so sweet.”

 

Baekhyun momentarily forgot how to breathe and thought that he was going to pass out from the rapid heartbeat in his chest. What was with Chanyeol and this sudden intimate bodily contact? “What are you doing?” he whispered anxiously.

 

“Let me stay like this for a while, hm?” Chanyeol replied, pulling Baekhyun closer towards him. He shut his eyes and inhaled deeply, his head giddy with Baekhyun’s balmy scent. It was a comforting scent that made him feel safe and at peace with the world.

 

“When I saw all the blood on you, my heart stopped,” Chanyeol mumbled. “I was scared, and I was confused. I don't think I've ever realised just how important you have become to me until that very moment.”

 

Baekhyun stared at Chanyeol wordlessly, feeling a small warmth blossom in his chest.

 

“Don't ever put yourself in danger again,” he said sternly, opening his eyes to stare at Baekhyun. “If you get hurt again, I don't know what I’ll do.”

 

Leaning forward, he planted a small kiss on Baekhyun’s forehead. “Stay by my side and let me protect you, okay?”

 

Baekhyun buried his face in Chanyeol’s chest, forgetting about Irene, about Sehun, and about  everything else. The last thoughts before he fell asleep was that Chanyeol finally felt like a warm fireplace that he could find sanctuary in.

 

--

 

Irene stood by the doorway and stared at the scene in front of her. Chanyeol was cuddling Baekhyun in bed, the both of them still fast asleep in spite of the bright sunlight that had flooded the entire room. She clutched the edge of her dress tightly as a sour expression made its way onto her face. Quietly, she shut the door behind her, deciding that she had seen enough.

 

Irene could not comprehend why Chanyeol was so obsessed with Baekhyun. What’s so good about that pathetic rat? Baekhyun was in no way special-- he was average looking at best, and was just a lowly fast-food worker who didn't know his place. Irene was getting sick and tired of hearing Chanyeol talk about Baekhyun every time they hung out. She needed to rip out the thorn in her side as soon as possible.

 

--

 

Baekhyun opened his eyes to Chanyeol’s light snoring. As gently as he could without waking Chanyeol up, he removed himself from Chanyeol’s embrace and sat up in bed. The events of the previous night slowly came back to him and he winced at the sudden pain that shot through his arm.

 

Although this wasn’t the first time he had slept together with Chanyeol on the same bed, he still felt kind of awkward. What should he say when Chanyeol wakes up later on? Was he supposed to pretend that he had forgotten about Chanyeol’s words the previous night? Or would Chanyeol even remember saying those things to him?

 

Just then, his attention was diverted by the buzzing of his phone in his pocket. He glanced at the time and date on his lock screen.

 

24 December, 12.30pm

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter