Swanky sportscars and second-hand bicycles

Of Gold and Obsidian
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chanyeol swirled the whiskey in his glass cup absentmindedly as loud music reverberated around him, pounding an erratic rhythm against his eardrums. Usually, he was all for the party scene, but his mind just wasn’t into it that evening. His uninterested eyes glossed over the tipsy and scantily clad women who sat on either side of him, trying to get him to play a drinking game with them.

 

“Why the low spirits tonight?” the girl on his right drawled, trailing a manicured finger suggestively down his arm.

 

He downed his whiskey in one shot and clanked the empty glass onto the table loudly.

 

“My old man’s furious with me for the recent scandal with Jang Hyemi. Gave me an earful for tarnishing the Park family image and threatened to cut me off,” he scoffed, rolling his eye.

 

“Ah, I read about that in the gossip magazine,” a girl with an overdone smoky eye giggled. “Reporters had a field day with the pictures she sent them, didn’t they?”

 

“She threatened to blab even more nonsense to the press if I didn’t give her enough money to shut her up,” Chanyeol muttered darkly, holding out his empty shot glass for a refill.

 

“I wasn’t too surprised though—I see too many of these greedy es every day,” he added, looking pointedly at the voluptuous girl sitting across from him. He noticed that she had been sneaking longing glances at his 18 Karat white gold Cartier watch.

 

 

He smirked, and with a swift tug, removed the watch from his wrist.

 

“You like it? You can have it then,” he said, casually tossing the timepiece into her lap. She squealed in glee, and the other girls immediately leapt to their feet to surround her. Everyone was fighting to grab the watch, which they knew was certainly worth a small fortune.

 

Chanyeol chuckled amusedly as he watched the chaos unfold. Taking one last swig of liquor, he stood up and left the private suite quietly.

 

 

A sleekly dressed valet greeted Chanyeol at the club entrance with one of his most prized cars—a ruby red Bugatti Chiron which he had just acquired two weeks ago. The red glinted ever so beautifully and invitingly under the bright lights adorning the façade of the club. Chanyeol strolled towards the open car door, feeling the cool night breeze graze against his flushed cheeks. He was however, interrupted in mid-stride when the valet suddenly stepped in front of him.

 

“I’m sorry sir, I don’t think you look fit to drive tonight, would you perhaps like to call someone to pick you up?” he said meekly, taking in the tipsy appearance of Chanyeol.

 

Chanyeol took in a deep, annoyed breath and pushed a crumpled wad of bills into the valet’s hand. “I think I’m fit to drive, thank you very much,” he grunted and side-stepped the valet, who swiftly stuffed the cash into the deep pockets of his smartly tailored trousers.

 

“Of course, Mr. Park,” the valet smiled. “Have a good night!”

 

Chanyeol settled himself comfortably behind the steering wheel and sped off, enjoying the smooth purr of the engine as he added more pressure on the accelerator. He knew he really shouldn’t be driving whilst tipsy, lest he would like to appear on the front page of the gossip magazine again. However, he was feeling particularly rebellious and irritated that night, and decided to just throw caution to the wind.

 

He cranked up the volume of the radio to an obnoxious level, which was playing a particularly catchy EDM song. Chanyeol’s finger tapped along to the addictive beat  against the steering wheel. He drove dangerously, weaving in and out of different lanes and running several red lights. It was lucky that it was already late at night and there was not much traffic on the roads.

 

The alcohol in his system was indeed gradually taking its toll on him. His eyesight blurred, and his heart was pounding an unsteady rhythm against his ribs. When he spotted a tabby cat several feet in front of the car, preening innocently in the middle of the road, he knew he had made a terrible mistake. A mixture of horror and dread gnawed at his insides as he willed his reflexes to kick into action. He steered the steering wheel abruptly towards the left and the vehicle swerved sharply, missing the cat narrowly and crashing into a streetlamp with a sickeningly loud crunch.  

 

Chanyeol lurched in his seat, hitting his head against the window. He groaned thickly in pain. That was going to become a really nasty bruise in the morning.  Luckily, his seat belt was secured around him tightly, which had protected him from even more serious injuries.

 

He fumbled with the seat belt and staggered unsteadily out of the car to inspect the damage done. The moment he stepped out of his car,  he heard a loud shriek of horror.  

 

“My bicycle!”

 

He squinted his eyes to focus on a short, brown haired employee who had come rushing out of the fast food joint situated across the streetlamp. The guy inspected the twisted chunk of metal wedged in between Chanyeol’s car and the streetlamp and let out a huge groan. Then, his attention was immediately diverted to Chanyeol, who was standing beside his car on unsteady feet, looking disoriented.

 

“Oh my god, are you alright?” the guy ran to Chanyeol’s side in a hurry, wincing at the small trickle of blood making its way down Chanyeol’s forehead.

 

Chanyeol watched groggily as the guy made a frantic attempt to check if Chanyeol had been hurt anywhere else. He prodded at and turned Chanyeol around, heaving a sigh of relief when it looked like he had sustained no other injuries.

 

Under the silvery moonlight, the stranger’s skin seemed to glow a pearlescent white, and Chanyeol thought he looked rather like a lost puppy, what with his long lashes and cute button nose. His eyes trailed downwards to catch a glimpse of a metal nameplate fastened onto the guy’s uniform.

 

“Baekhyun,” he muttered, a smile slowly curving on his face. “Nice name.”

 

Baekhyun’s eyes narrowed disapprovingly. “Your breath reeks of alcohol. Were you actually driving under the influence?”

 

Baekhyun leaned in closer to his face, peering at him intently with his beady eyes. Chanyeol blinked furiously, alarmed at the sudden invasion of his personal space.

 

“Ah, Park Chanyeol!” he said derisively. “Should have guessed. Who else goes around crashing expensive sports cars in the middle of the night?”

 

Chanyeol, visibly affronted, fixed Baekhyun with a glare. “How do you know my name? And it’s none of your business what I do with my cars,” he huffed defensively.

 

It was now Baekhyun’s turn to blink rapidly, looking like a deer caught in headlights. He gave an awkward laugh. “Uh… I subscribe to gossip magazines. Who wouldn’t recognise Park Chanyeol, son of real estate mogul Park Hyunwoong,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter