Ignorant

Reading your lips

« Ah the big eater has arrived. » He said, wanting to joke. No answer from her. It was basically their first time that she wasn't hearing. He repeated himself :

 

« Eunji ? »

 

« Eunji ? » He said while waving his hand just in front of her. She blushed. «Oh, you were talking ? »

 

He shook his head. « Just wanted to say enjoy your meal. »

 

She grabbed his hand. « You can tap my shoulder like this. Or, touch my wrist to get my attention. »

 

«  Waving is not okay ? » He asked, in fear of what she would say.

She shrugged. « It' s like a visual agression. Tapping on someone shoulder a convention, waving is considerated unpolite.»

Eunji looked at YongGuk face change, shame invading him.  "Oh gosh I'm sorry. I was so ... ignorant and unpolite."

She shook her head. "Don't worry about that. The essential is that now you're aware of it."

He nodded, reassured by her warm smile.

« How come you don't wear it today ? » He asked out of the blue.

 

She frowned. « Can you repeat ? » He did and she laughed. « Sorry I'm not that good at reading lips. »

 

He smiled and quickly took his phone to write the question on it.

 

« Uniform ? » She said. He pointed to her ear and she understood. « Oh, today I was meeting with Daehyun, I thought that it was unnecessary. »

 

He nodded. « So you don't hear me right now ? »

She shook her head. « I read on your lips. »

 

He laughed « It seem so difficult. »

 

« It is. »

 

Yong Guk nodded. They talked about the movie and soon Eunji looked at YongGuk.

 

« Thanks for this awesome day. I really got fun even if you know a ert kind of invited himself. »

 

He touched her shoulder. « How come you still enjoy not wearing it ? I thought that you got used to it. »

 

She seemed surprised.« I 'm used to not hearing ; that's not something that makes me sad. I just love to be like before when I meet my deaf friends. »

 

YongGuk seemed confused. « So you really can't hear anything without it. »

 

She smiled to him warmly. She shook her head. « I can get some words if there's not much noise but in nosy environnement it's over. »

 

He nodded. « I think you're brave. »

 

« What ? »

 

« You're used to your condition yet you still decide to wear the hearing aids. I think it takes a lot of braveness to leave your school and former life to get in the  hearing word. » YongGuk said, admiration getting him. He reminded himself the first day he saw her and was now getting her apprehension.

 

She looked at him say that and waited a few seconds, the time to gather up the information. She didn't exactly get everything on his lips, yet she understood his idea. She smiled. « Thanks. »

 

She took his hand and put it on . « If I'm close to the person, I love to feel the vibrations of his voice. »

He nodded, with a slight blush. This feels really intimate.

 

« If I put on my device, I can hear properly. From only this ear. The other is completely dead. »

 

Yong Guk nodded. « So you never really hear things like I do. »

 

« I didn't enjoy that. I loved my life before having this stuff. Really. But somehow I'm really thanksful. There's things that I'm happy to have heard. « 

 

« Like what ? »

 

« Mom singing in the living room while playing piano. Mom and Dad laughing like five years old. The rain falling. The sound of river. My cat meowing. I always thought my cat was cute but his meow is like a death sound, it's funny ! The sound of the coffee machine, of the pages flipping. Songs with the voice not only the vibrations. And ... »

 

« And ? » He looked at her becoming all red.

 

« Your voice. You have the kind of voice that made me really happy being able to hear. »

 

« WHAT ? » He shouted. This time they were both red as tomoto.

 

« Your low voice. It's soothing. It's slow and very cool to hear. Even if you talk really low. And your laugh it's wonderful to hear. »

They stared at each others. She blushed. « I don't think it's normal to love someone voice like that. Even just reading on your lips is addicting.  Can I feel your vibrations ? »

 

He put her two hands on his long neck and stayed silent. « You need to speak for me to feel them. Or sing. Don't be shy I won't hear a thing. I'll close my eyes.»

 

He started to tell her the whole attraction he has for her. Her lovely smile. Her cute eyes. When he started to notice her. « I think I really like you alot. »

 

Eunji was feeling his Adam apple moving upside down and the vibrations of his low voices. It was also relaxing. Soon, he grabbed her wrist and she slowly raised her eyes.

 

« Would you be my girlfriend ? »

 

Eunji blushed. She couldn't have read the good sentence. She was clearly was'nt able to read on his lips. He smiled.

 

« So your answer ? »

 

« I don't think I got the question right. »

 

He started back. Clearly and loudly. «  Would you be my girlfriend ? »

 

She started to feel tears in her eyes. « It's not funny to turn my deafness into a gag. »

 

He widened his eyes. « No I really mean this. Would you be my girlfriend ? »

 

« Repeat. »

 

« Would you be my girlfriend ? » He repeated. His cheeks becoming redder though the repeats. He couldn't help but feel intimidated by the stare they were receiving. He was almost shouting his question.

 

« Write the damn question on your phone. »

 

« Would you be my girlfriend, Eunji ? » He quickly wrote to show it to her. She gulped.

 

« It's not a joke right ? »

 

YongGuk sighed and gave her a black glance. She got that he was damn serious about that.

 

« I'd love that. »

 

He took her hand and smiled. "Thanks."

Eunji nodded and cupped his face. "Now it's time to taste those plump rosy lips."

YongGuk had no time to react to her tease that her lips were on his.She kissed him for an unappropriate time, considering that they were in a public space. YongGuk, all pleased by this kiss, pulled away remembering of good maneers. He gave her a confused look, she was just laughing. She grabbed his hand after they were over with the ice cream and they walked out of the mall together.

« It's my first serious kiss. » Yong Guk revealed.

Eunji smiled and felt proud. He looked at her and she laughed. « I'm honoured to have received it. I really enjoyed it. »

The male looked at her and she looked honest. He nodded and ruffled her hair.

*

YongGuk smiled while waking up on monday. He got ready quickier than usual, wanting to surprise Eunji waiting for her. He got on the road earlier than expected and arrived at her home more than half an hour before class. He knocked at the door and it was closed no one here..

 

He got his hand on his phone to call her. He heard a ringtone behind him and saw Eunji staring at him.

« What are you doing here ? »

 

« I thought that we could walk to school together, how come ? »

 

« Oh, I went to my dad restaurant in order to get my meal. » He nodded, she was so lucky. She got closer to him and grabbed his hand. He blushed.

 

She laughed. « You blush for nothing and anything. You're cute. »

 

« I'm over 1 meter 80 centimeter. » He stated. "If someone is cute here, it's you. You're not even reaching 1m60"

 

She shrugged. "I beg to differ : you're freaking cute. » She added, making him shake his head gently. They shared a light peck while walking. YongGuk was telling her how his read was dazzling and promising her she should read to.

 

They arrived at school and held hands reaching the classroom getting weird looks on the way. Soon, Eunji friends came.

 

« Wow, are you guys dating or something ?? » Fei asked, pointing at their hands.

Eunji looked at YongGuk getting embarrassed. «  Hmm, yeah. »

Yong Guk nodded shyly and the girls laughed. « Oh gohs that's so cute !!! You quite of match each other well !! »

Jihyun came running to face them. "I knew that something was going  on between you too."

Eunji laughed and they both sat on their chair. For the first time, his activity before the class started wasn't reading or talking to Eunji, it was holding her hands and ruffle fondly her hair.

*

YongGuk came back home all happy, they walked around the city so it was already night when he got home. He was happy to find his sister in the kitchen.

Sasha smiled and grabbed his head with her hands. « My cute little brother. »

 

« Noona I'm taller than you. »

 

« Don't talk back ! » She let him breath and handed him a chip. He sat in front of her. « Why do you come home this late those days ? It's not unlike you. You smile all the time, it's almost like you got yourself a girfriend.»

 

YongGuk blushed and cleared his throat. «  I got myself a girlfriend. »

 

She let her bag of chips fall on the floor. He looked at the food on the floor and sighed. « You better clean that up or else Mom will get angry. »

 

« BANG YONGGUK YOU GOT A GIRLFRIEND !!! »

 

He widened his eyes hearing her scream. He nodded. She hugged him. « That's wonderful. What's the name of the lucky candidate ? »

 

« Jung Eunji. »

 

Sasha nodded and asked tons of questions on her. « So what do you plan to do for your first date ? »

 

« The first date ? » He asked clueless.

 

She clapped in her hands. « Huh you must do something great … like a concert. It'd be wonderful. What does she listen to ?»

 

« We both love Giriboy. »

 

« Si it's settled. » She said. « You buy two tockets and invite her 'kay ? »

 

He nodded and Sasha laughed. « Bring her home soon okay ? »

 

He gave her a look. « Hmm how about no ? »

 

She sighed. « As long as I meet her. »

 

Yong Guk made her listen to tons of music, Eunji told him that deaf people enjoy music by the vibrations and that she had some favorite groups too. So when she said that Giriboy was one of her favourite rapper, that the vibrations of his songs were amazing he bought two tickets, already imagining her reaction. He showed Eunji the tickets today and she smiled weakly. She thanked him and tried to fake excitement.

 

"Wow that''s wonderful !!! It seems to be a real great conceert !" She said, in a happy tone.

 

She looked at the ticket he gave her with a smile and kissed his cheek to thank him. He seemed so happy,eyes sparkling and all the stuffs.She arrived home and didn't know what to do. So she skyped with Daehyun.

 

« Ya, what do I do ? He invited me to a concert !! »

 

« Is he dumb ? »

 

« He doesn't know. »

 

« You should like TELL HIM RIGHT NOW ; and give me this ticket. I loke Giriboy and would love to go to the concert. »

 

Eunji laughed. So true. « But he seemed happy. »

 

« You're going to ditch your few percent left of hearing for him ? Really ?! »

 

She shook her head. « No. Obviously no. »

 

« So you should tell him. »

 

« Or lie to him. » Eunji signed. Daehyun looked at her, without signing anything. She sighed. « Okay I won't. »

 

They had a pretty long skype this night. Eunji missed her best friend, she may have a boyfriend now but her talkative bestfriend wasn't something she could replace. She ended the skype before taking a shower.

 

« Come and eat with us. »

 

Daehyun stopped the skype right now and she laughed, he could die for her father's meat. Half an hour alter she found him in great conversation with her father. They eat in a great atmosphere ; Eunji forgot about Yong Guk and the concert.

 

The concert was this week end and she still didn't dare telling him. A night she came back home, and found her father in her room.

 

« Eunji we need to talk » He said holding the ticket. She grabbed it and sighed.

« Dad it's not what it look like. I know I can't go. »

 

He sighed, he was ready to nagg her and remember her her delicate hearing. Even she didn't hear anything without her hearing aids, the few percent she had left was necessary so she could use the amplicator. If she loses those few percents, her hearing aids will not be of any use. He let her sit next to him and hugged her.

 

« YongGuk invited me. It's our first date as a couple. I have to tell him I know but ... »

 

Her father sighed. « It's hard. I'm sorry. Gosh, I would give you my hearing so you could go. Eunji those kind of things break my heart. It breaks my dad heart when you can't do what you want. »

 

She chuckled. « Dad wipe your tears. And go make me a delicious meal. »

 

« Invite Yong Guk and tell him, you can do tons of things okay ? Attractions park, beach, rollers, tons of things okay ? »