Charity ?

Reading your lips

She applied the pencil with precision and took the lipstick with precaution before applying it all over her lips. YongGuk looked at her getting ready for tonight dinner and grinned.

 

 

“Did you buy it ? For when you came to see me in Busan ?” He signed, almost sure of her answer.

 

She gave him a cheeky smile. “You wish I did. It's actually a gift from my mom. She had two of them so she gave me the newest.”

YongGuk frowned. Good try to , yet she suceeded in surprising him. Like always. She stood up and smiled to him. They could go now.  They arrived to the house after a quiet bus ride and YongGuk mom hugged her with all her force, welcoming them in the house.

“My little baby. Oh god you said yes !!!! We are so excited to have you in the family !!!” She clapped in her hands and pinched Eunji cheeks with a gorgeous smile. She gave Eunji a bear hug, making the young woman chuckle. Sasha hugged her the same, ruffling her hair.

Eunji smiled and greeted them as excited as them. Seeing YongGuk greet stiffly his father, she greeted him with a shy yet great smile. He was quite taken aback by this and akwolegded her with a head nodd.

Now they were all in the living room.. The girls of the house circling Eunji like a prey, she felt a little bit embarassed.

 

“I'm so excited to meet your parents. It's such a good news that you two are engaged. Seeing YongGuk behavior when he was younger, I suspected him to stay alone a large part of his life. So it's nice you're here for him.”

 

YongGukk groaned seeing Sasha say this. "Noona, stop speaking as if I was a weirdo."

"What ?! She's gonna marry you at the end. She needs to be prepared, rigt Eunji ? You need every little crunchy details avalaible to do your choice."

YongGuk grinned and brought Eunji closer to him by embracing her waist. "You agreed right ? So it means you had all the informations you needed." Eunji smiled, catching some words on his lips and played with his ring with a nice smile. Sasha looked at them and scoffed.

"Okay. Yeah, you're really disgusting, you're making me nauseous." The older said, before mimicking someone throwing up, amusing greatly Eunji.

Sasha lied. It felt nice seeing her brother like this. She would save him from bad kids, or YongJoon. Seeing him change for love was something really touching to see. She remembered all the time YongGuk spent just to be able to sign with Eunji. Sasha wasn't dumb, being with a deaf person isn't always easy, yet YongGuk never gave up. He  stopped the bullying, encourage Eunji to go to university and pursue her dream.  Eunji relies a lot on YongGuk, to communicate because she's cautious and shy around strangers yet the older sister  feels that YongGuk relies on Eunji in unsuspected ways.

YongGuk looked at Eunji small smile and signed for her. He decided to sign for her so she could communicate better. Soon, Natasha pointed at YongGuk.

“How was the engagement night ?” Sasha asked, not wanting to leave Eunji out of the conversation. She remembers when YongGuk told her about Eunji being hard of hearing, she was shocked. Eunji was actually the first person suffering from hearing loss she met. Thinking about this, she realized that YongGuk doesn't define Eunji by her deafness, he talks about her cute face, marvellous smile and great personnality.

Eunji looked at her with round eyes, making her understand she didn't get it. " How was yesterday night ?"

The young lady nodded. "Ah, it was really great. I've never seen YongGuk being this nervous before. It's so rare we go on date like this, so I really enjoyed it."

Sasha chuckled at this answer. "YongGuk nervous ? You're joking ?"

YongGuk sighed, looking at Eunji laugh along.  She held a small conversation with Sasha, asking how was her tatoo skills now, waiting for her parents that were running late. The young soldier started to sign for Eunji so she could communicate faster, and not get tired from overstimulation. He noticed that when Eunji tries to read on lips, due to the efforts it requires, she gets exhausted so easily. So, he tries to keep her in good shape whenever he can.

 

Soon, the door ringed and YongGuk went to open the door, leaving in the middle of signing. Eunji scoffed. “First time I see you open this door mister.”

 

He had a giggle before opening the door. Yo han arrived, hands full of big bags. “YongGuk, sorry I'm late.”

 

Eunji lost her smile, seeing him alone. She got closer to him and kissed his cheek.  “Mom is not here ?”

 

“She's coming after her representation my dear.” He signed before saying it out loud.  YongGuk father, Song Jun came to present himself. Yo Han shook hands with him, surprised by the strengh of the man, then he greeted his mom.

“The mom of the year. I'm finally meeting the parents of YongGuk. So I've bring dessert. Here is a mango mousse and here a chocolate cake. I've tried to please everyone. I know YongGuk doesn't really like chocolate.”

Song Jun frowned. So he was wrong all along. This feeling that a stranger knew better his son was not nice. He finished the glass he had in his hand and fulfilled it again.

YongGuk mom, Hana,  widened . “Gosh it's the first time we receive a Chief. That's a really nice attention. I did a traditionnal dessert, so it's cool to get professional stuffs.”

 

Without even realizing, mom and dad were on the sofa talking about cooking and restaurants. Eunji gave her father a glance, still surrounded by YongGuk  and Sasha.

“Your dad is cool.” Sasha said, with a big thumps up. Eunji bowed lightly. “Thanks. But you're way cooler. I would love to wear such cool makeup.”

“I can do the same on you anytime you want. For your wedding for example !!” Eunji looked at YongGuk sign with an amused face and her smile changed to a neutral expression. Sasha was fond of the Instagram baddie makeup. For her own wedding ? Eunji expressed doubt.  “Ohh really ? Wedding ? Oh hmm I.”

Sasha laughed seeing Eunji blush trying to refuse. “I was joking. Gosh she's really cute. Is she always that cute ?”

YongGuk considered Eunji relax, understanding the joke with a cheeky smile. She had curled lightly her hair for tonight, so the young man grabbed a curl, and pinched it, enough to annoy her.  “She was even cuter with her bang.”

Eunji grimaced and looked at him remove her hand from the curl, to smooth out her hair. Sasha awed. “So cute together you two. You'll make a pretty strong married couple.”

She turned herself to see if Eunji father heard that but he didn't so she sighed out of relief.

 

YongGuk Father looked at Eunji and YongGuk. Eunji was not facing him but raising her head considering his son, she smiled warmly and his son did the same. A very different picture from what he saw from his son for months. A silent and sad guy. And what he saw from Eunji, an angry and unpolite girl. It was easy to see that they missed each other. He  sighed, for them he must really be a heartless person.

 

His wife snapped this moment with her phone, surprising them. “It was so beautiful to see.” Eunji chuckled now embarassed.

 

Soon, the bell ringed too. YongGuk mom went to open it and screamed. “Oh Gosh Kim Soo Hyu. I'm such a big fan !!!”

 

The diva smiled and handed some tickets to see her representations to the woman. “Nice to meet you I'm Eunji Mom. Sorry to be late." YongGuk looked at his mom scream of joy having those tickets in her hands. Eunji Mom smiled and listened to Eunji introduce her everyone. She seemed tired yet surely did an effort to come for Eunji.

Eunji got closer to her and they hugged. The party could start now. Her mom went to greet everyone and sat next to her husband. They didn't get divorce like Euni thought. Eunji was the first surprised when her mom asked her father to do couple therapy.They were now talking together, husband nagging her to be late.

“You're not asking how was my representation ?” Kim Soo Hyu asked, she was late for a reason.

“I'm pretty sure it went well.” Yo Han said with a smile.

The dinner started and all went well. Yo han was really a good invitee, standing up to help serving. YongGuk mom felt overwhelmed by attentions of him. “Is your father always this nice, Eunji ?”

Eunji was talking with YongGuk, so he signed for her, asking back the question in sign language. She turned herself to her soon-to-be mother in law. “ Ahh, always. He always tries to help people the best he can. And he may be curious about your kitchen.”

 

Everyone laughed, her father cleared his throat. “Eunji stop saying lies like this.”

She nodded maliciously and the mother in law just shrugged this away with a smile. Hana had prepared beef soup, knowing how Eunji loves it. Yohan complimented her on her cooking skills and everything going fine, Eunji relaxed. Her mom was sat next to her and smiled warmly to her, Eunji noticed her eyes on the ring she was sporting. She whispered "secret"" to her mom, making the singer nodd with a wink. YongGuk looked at them with curious eyes, mom and daughter seemed closer tonight.

 

They were back to the living room after the dinner, taking a rest before eating dessert.“It's a really nice dinner. Thanks for inviting us.” Soo Hyu said, really glad that she met YongGuk family.

 

The couple looked at each others and Eunji decided herself to speak. “It was for a particular reason.”

 

“Oh. Wait.” Her dad said.

 

She showed off her ring, making her parents gasp, her mom acted like she was surprised so well. “When did it happen ?”

 

“Yesterday night.” YongGuk answered.

 

Her father hugged strongly his daughter. “Eunji that's super. Like marvellous.” He hugged her for long seconds. Eunji sighed. “Dad stop crying, it's a little bit embarassing.” She patted his back and Song Jun felt awkward looking at this man wipe his tears away.

 

“You were a kid like a second ago. You can't possibly get married right now. You're both only 21 years old.” Her father said, quite shocked by the news. He remembers like it was yesterday the day she was born, the first smiles and cries, the first steps of his beloved daughter. how can she get married ? How can YongGuk remember him that his baby is now a university student,  ?! That the happiest day of his life was 21 years ago ?

Eunji frowned. “I'm not getting married right away. We're just engaged for the moment. He gave me the ring.”

Her father nodded. “Okay. But you stay my little girl a little bit more. No. You're always going to be my baby girl, okay ?" She nodded and wondered for a moment if her dad was happy or not. When he went to  hug YongGuk with a sincere smile, she had her answer. “Congrats and welcome in the family. Gosh, you're the best son-in-law I could dream of.”

Kim Soo Hyu nodded eagerly. "He's so handsome. Gosh, you can be proud of you as his parents. And you have two of this kind !!"

YongGuk got shy and let his family about this. Sasha poked his shoulder. "I thought you became confident." 

Eunji stopped them. "Hey, let him breath. I like him the way he is. "

 

SongJun retained a laugh, annoyed that everyone was having fun except him. “What's with that pronunciation of breath' ? Your accent is quite weird, Eunji. Where do you come from again, Yohan ?”

 

YongGuk sighed at this question. Eunji followed everyone eyes on the father and felt lost for a second. Why the atmosphere became so dense ?”

 

“We're from Incheon.” Yo Han said calmly. Yong Jun frowned. “Really ? It's my first time seeing that kind of accent actually. You don't have it, neither your wife. Just Eunji. It's very particuliar. Very funny. ”

 

Eunji, unaware of that YongGuk father talked was still looking at her dad, he sighed longly and frowned. “Is something wrong ?”

 

“Yeah something is definitely wrong with your accent !” The drunk dad said, before laughing.

Yo Han stood up and YongGuk sighed to him. "I 'll take care of him. Don't worry."  He grabbed his father by the shoulder and dragged him outside of the room.

 

YongGuk realized his father was a little bit drunk and sighed. He was mumbling about how his son was rude.  He looked at his father that had a red face from soju. “You're leaving.”

 

“I'm what ? It's my house.” He said, becoming upset.

 

YongGuk gave him a black glance, before speaking :

“Yeah and this is our engagement party so don't ruin it. Don't tell her that something is wrong with her accent. It's mean. She doesn't hear anything !!! I know you don't like her a bit, but she's deaf for the sake of god" His father looked at him roll his eyes. Why do I have to explain to an adult how to behave properly with her ? I don't want you to bully her. If you're going to be mean with her, don't talk to her at all.”

 

YongGuk said with a loud voice. He didn't care of people hearing him, he knows that Eunji won't anyways. His father was really surprised, and sighed. “Okay. What ? Just because you do charity doesn't mean I have to." The young soldier scoffed.

"Charity ? You think that I'm Jesus Christ ? It's been three years I'm with her, and you think I'm with her for charity ? That I pity her ? Dad, I love her so much. Here there's no charity or pity involved. But maybe that concept of love is too high for you to grasp it one day." He said with a deep and vexed tone.

 

Song Jun considered his son. It was the first time he got angry like this. He looked very unpleased by what he's done. Never ever has YongGuk talked like that to him. YongJoon did several times. For a moment, he got confused, was YongGuk actually nagging him or YongJoon ?

 

“I ...”

 

“ Dad, just don't be mean to her. Come back when you'll be sober.”

 

YongGuk walked a bit around the house and came back. Once he entered, all the persons present looked at him worried, the silence was haunting the little comitee. He  tried to smile dearly.

 

“I told him to sober up. Maybe he will vomit, who knows ?” He chuckled and stopped seeing no one laughing. The silence was intense, until Eunji get up, getting next to him. The worlds of his dad to describe his relationship with Eunji 'charity'  replayed in his head. His mood easily got down. He smiled to Eunji that was poking his shoulder, curious of what was going on. He nodded to her and she spoke gentlyy :

“We should eat the dessert. I can't wait to taste dad chocolate cake. I'll call your dad.” She already opened the door, and YongGuk didn't have time to argue when she closed it back. He let her talk to him. Maybe his father will excuse himself. Maybe not. He really hoped that his father will just not be mean.


Part 2 of this dinner soon !!

Ahh school started back and gosh, it feels so weird to be back home. I hope your day is going fine =)