Moody

Reading your lips

YongGuk looked at his prepared bag next to his bed. He packed a few things to spend around two weeks there. He had to leave today, waiting for his mom to come back from work to head to the bus station. She insisted on that point. He was reading when his mom came  in his room.

« Hide this bag right away. »

 

He did as told and looked at his mom in confusion. « Your dad came back earlier. The family dinner is ... tonight. »

 

This made YongGuk sigh. There he goes : doing as he wishes, changing the plans of everyone. Everyone should obey because he's the head of the family anyways. His mom gave him a harsh look.

 

« He got some back pain so he decided to rest here for a few days. So don' react like that. » His mom explained. He nodded. She should have tell this before eveything.

 

« Is he fine ? » He asked to his mom that was secretly checking around to see if something could upset his father. She laughed.

 

« Your dad is a solid rock don't worry about him. He's just getting old » She said with a radiants mile.

YongGuk looked at her walk away in her floral dress and high heels and chuckled. She was excited to have his father there. It was like a five year old girl waiting for Santa Claus each time. She would clean up everything, buy flowers and put them in every room, tell her daughter to put on a good act, tell her twins to dress up and do a proper hairstyle.Sometimes, he really wonders how his parents fell in love. They seems so different. And how they stayed in love. They are always separated.

 

« He's there !!! » His mom said. He went in YongJoon room and found him making his bed. His brother was a real lazy person. Disorganized. It wasn't rare that his things ended up under his bed and missing for months until his brother decided to clean every corner of his room in order to become a clean person, or more like a proper human being.

 

« Aren't you a bit late ? » He joked, trying to pick up the clothes on the floor to toss them in the bin for dirty clothes in the bathroom.

 

YongJoon laughed. « I could still go mess up yours to make mine look better. »

 

The younger shook his head. « Evil creature. »

 

They got in the bathroom and found their sister in a white dress, sporting a black wig. They had the hardest time trying not to laugh.

"Guys, if you do not stop to laugh, you're dead after this dinner. I swear !" Sasha mumbled, trying to lower her skirt so it'd be more comfortable to wear. YongJoon shook his head seeing this and YongGuk automatically took her arm to help her get downstairs with those heels of hers. The dresscode was strict on her. No hair color. No tatoo. Things that Sasha fancies. Instead; she had to wear skirts and heels for those occasions.

 

Their father looked at them. « My dear children. » He hugged them in a stiff manner, patting their back like he surely does to his new recrues. His wife got in the living room. "Guys you're still not ready ?  Go put on something more chic please."

The twins got back upstairs to change. YongGuk was in the middle of putting his dress shirt when YongJoon arrived in his suit. "Hey, I think Mom gave you my shirt. This one is too tight for me."

YongGuk looked at his brother in the tigh dress shirt with a laugh and agreed right away. They switched the shirt and got back downstairs where their mom hurried them to get in the car. She wanted to go to the restaurant as soon as possible. YongGuk looked at his mother park in front of Eunji's Dad restaurant. He looked at her, she was giggling. They walked inside and she came to ruffle his hair.

"I wanted to change a little bit. Your dad choise is always so boring. I always wanted to come here anyways." Shewhispered in his ear, excited. YongGuk smiled and looked at her go back next to his dad. They got a table in a private room, his mom talkative on the beauty of the space.

 

Bang Song Jun considered his sons, sat in front of him next to each other. They were healthy, tall and handsome. They still looked exactly the same. YongJoon was whispering in his twin ear, only to get an unamused face from the latter, making him laugh. Still close too.

 

« YongJoon how your school is doing ? »

 

YongJoon gave a quick look to YongGuk before answering. The younger listenned quietly their conversation; until his name popped up in it.

 

« YongGuk your mom told me that you have a girlfriend. »

 

« Huh. » YongGuk said, sending subtil glares to his talkative mom. His father added seeing that his son still doesn't form real sentences to talk with him. « Is she intelligent ? »

 

« Yes. » YongGuk hided a smile. That was the first question of his father on his girlfriend ? His dad nodded, not knowing what more to ask. His wife stepped in.

"We're actually in her dad restaurant ! That's why I wanted to come here. It's so famous you know. Her mom is Kim Soo Hyu. Gosh, she have dream parents." She said, covering up for YongGuk silence.

 

« Oh didn't we see her first ever musical ever ? It was because you were so fan of her mother. But she wasn't that good. Quite out of rhythm despite her good voice. »

Everyone looked at him as if he said bad words, making him correct his words.  « Hmm I didn't mean she wasn't talented at singing.  She just have to learn singing in rhythm.»

 

« Dad, she is hard of hearing. She won't learn to sing in sync to the music she doesn't hear.» YongGuk said honestly. His father looked at him surprised by his outburst of honesty and nodded. His mom sent him a glare for answering with this tone to his father. With some luck, someone came to take their command and soon they were served of appetizers.

 

« Don't let that girl lessen your focus on your studies okay ? And YongJoon that's for you too. »

 

« Alright Dad. Anyways, if someone will turn away from their study, it's those girls crushing on me, not myself !» YongJoo answered running his fingers in his hair, making the mood lighter. Their dad hided a smile. He didn't appreciate playboys but this joke indeed was funny.

 

« There's a time for that, but right now you must study really hard, okay ? So you'll both be taken in the Navy alright ? »

 

YongJoon and YongGuk nodded automatically. YongJoon pressed YongGuk hand and he shrugged. This wasn't maybe the time to say all of this to his father, his university plans. His twin wanted to be a hockey player. Gosh. No, a day will come when they'll be forced to reveal that to their dad but not right now.

 

« And you Sasha what are you doing nowadays ? Still studying for deisgn ? »

 

Sasha shrugged. « Yeah. »

 

YongGuk and YongJoon looked at each others and smircked. Yeah studying for design. That wasn't so untrue. She was a trainee at a tatoo artist, so she was kind of in design.

 

She gave them an annoyed look and their plates arrived. The dishes being there, everyone became silent in order to eat the food.  Their mom praised the restaurant, saying that even if the Chief wasn't there, the food was still excellent. She  talked the most anyways. She knew almost everyone in the boat of their dad and had a tons of questions to ask and rumors to confirm.

 

YongGuk looked at his dad answer her with patience. He didn't seem to dislike that. Neither to particulary like that.

 

Soonout of boredom, he remembered that in the rushed evening, he didn't get to inform Eunji that his dad was there. « Hey I thought you was supposed to come ? » Eunji sent him, a hour ago.

 

«YongGuk, no phone on the table. » His dad remembered him. He was the type to dislike technology and trying to tell his children to lessen their use of it.

 

YongGuk bowed politely and stood up. « I have to give a call. »

 

His father looked at him stand up and disappear of the room. YongGuk  walked oustide. He called Eunji and she answered to the phone.

 

« Eunji, Hmm I kind of have a imprévu. I don't know if i'll be able to make it there tomorrow or even this week.Sorry to tell you that just now. »

 

The line stayed silent for a while. Suddenly, Eunji decided to speak after an obvious hesitation. « Hmm ? YongGuk ? I guess it's you. It's your ID. I didn't bring my hearing aids with me, hmmm I'll lend you my dad? »

 

He blushed. Gosh, that was an awkward move. On the other side of the line, his girlfriend glued the phone on her dad ear, freeing his hands so he'll be able to translate.

 

« Hello, YongGuk. How are you doing ? » He started all happy.

 

He looked at himself all stiff in his suit, outside of the exact restaurant Eunji thinks as a second home. He sighed. « The irony wanted me to have a family dinner in your restaurant instead of being already in Busan. »

 

Eunji smiled seeing her father sign that and already excused YongGuk from not coming today. It wasn't his fault.

 

Jung Yo Han chuckled. « So, your unfamous dad is there ?»

 

« Yes. »

 

The cool dad laughed. « Okay. Listen, we're there until next month. If it's not this week, there's be time for you to come over. My stupid daughter is waiting for you, but she have friends over, she'll be okay. »

"Appa, did you just say stupid ?!! I clearly read that on your lip." Eunji screamed, making YongGuk able to hear her though the phone. The dad chuckled and blowed her a kiss. She refused his apology and  snatched back her phone. « I hope to see you soon. Don't ditch me okay ? Just come whenever you can okay. »

 

YongGuk chuckled. It put him in a better mood to hear her voice. She seemed awkward with the fact that she couldn't hear his voice.

"Next time, let's have a videacall, 'kay ?"

She let a long silence before wishing him a goodnight. When he came back, his father asked him who is was.

 

« Oh. Eunji. I was supposed to spend ... a day or two at her vacation house.»

 

His father widened his eyes. « With her family there, I hope ? »

 

YongGuk nodded silently, not really loving where the conversation goes. His mom sensed the mood and came brighten up the situation.

 

« Of course !!! You know it's their vacation house, all the family and friends will be there. It'd be really fun !!! She's celebrating her birthday there too. It's tomorrow, right ?"

YongGuk nodded, realizing he will miss her birthday. His father seemed rather happy of this answer. « Okay. I guess that with her parents there, it'd be just fine. »

 

His mom chuckled. « Okay okay. Now stop that grumpy face Honey. Gukkie too please. » She laughed looking at them slowly trying to smile.

 

She clapped in her hands before gulping a sip of wine. « My whole little family is there. It's been a long time right ? »

 

Eveyone nodded and listenned with a faint smile their mom talking about the awful jokes they made as children, or the funny things they did.They went back to their home late at night after a good meal and a long time listening to their mom talk about them, the people she loved the most. Her husband was a proud captain ; and sacrified a lot of family time to get where he was. He was lucky to have a such supportive wife.

 

YongGuk looked at them disappear in their room and got upstairs with his brother.

 

« He really didn't change. » YongJoon said getting rid of his dress shirt.

YongGuk lied on his bed. « He's persuaded we'll come with him after high school. Gosh, you're in a sport school, it's not in order to go in a boat after right ? » YongGuk said, with an annoyed tone.

 

YongJoon sighed and lied next to him. "Gosh that'd be complicated."

 

"You don't say." YongGuk said making the older laugh.

 

« We'll do it together okay ? » The latter asked, handing his pinky finger to promise. YongGuk gladly accepted.

 

« Deal. »