Ships, Birthdays and Puzzle Pieces 1

Ships, Birthdays and Puzzle Pieces
Yeah I am broken up in two…
Just matching perfectly with you
  =Pieces of Me by One Ok Rock
 
Something is wrong with Toru.
 
Well if you actually look at him as of the moment, he looks normal. By normal, it means he is now playing his customized PRS green guitar in front of a mirror.
 
…again.
 
He was so engrossed with what he was playing that unconsciously his eyes were closed and his chin was jutting forward and back, his jawline became very pronounced with every beat. His head was also swaying along with the tune and from time to time he wets his lips with his tongue. Sometimes he flips his hair, still in sync with his guitar playing.
 
Toru, guitar player, had always believed that it’s best to practice in front of mirror so he can see how he would look like on stage. It was a wonder how that works though because his eyes were closed and the only one enjoying the show was the lady who stepped inside the studio to hand out sheets of paper to him and the rest of the band members.
 
One Ok Rock.
 
An announcement was just made about one of their tour locations having a Day 2 performance on the 2nd week of February. It’s supposed to be a good news right? But Toru suddenly stopped his solo performance. So sudden, you could still hear the remaining echo of his unfinished piece bouncing around the room. If electric guitar strings could break easily, you would think it did just then.
 
“2nd week of February?” He asked with his rarely heard baritone voice, the same one that could give powerful growls during concerts. His face was stoic, as usual ,yet his tone was tinted with disbelief and a hint of panic.
 
“Why? What’s with February? ” Taka, the nosy vocalist queried. “ I know you don’t have Valentine plans, because honestly by the end of the day, you’ll just end up spending it with me” Taka wiggled both his eyebrows for emphasis, then made a booming laugh.
 
The whole room echoed merrily as Tomoya and Ryota joined in with the laughter.
 
But Toru was not amused, He was just staring blankly at Taka. And the strangest thing was, he suddenly muttered “Can I borrow your One Piece DVD episodes?”
 
One Piece? Now where did that come from?
 
***          ***          ***
 
The next few days came and went, but stranger things continued to happen around Toru.
 
First there was the phone call. Toru positioned himself in one corner of the studio to accept a phone call while he had this serious expression on his face. He was describing something to the person on the other line, you would even notice him doing hand gestures and forming shapes in the air as if the other party could see it.
 
 
He suddenly exclaimed “YES! For real? Yes! Thank you so much” and he repeated his Thank You and even bowed, even if the person can’t see him through that phone call. 
 
Tomoya looked at Taka with a raised eyebrow to which Taka replied with a shrug.
 
The next curious thing was that Toru seriously watched the One Piece DVDs he borrowed from Taka. It is one thing to love anime, its all natural, but to suddenly watch an anime in the middle of tour preparation? It has never been heard of. Especially with the leader Toru Yamaa, the most passionate guitar player and rock artist in the group. No.
 
Then there was the package. The mysterious 3 medium-sized boxes arrived at the studio one day. Yes it came to the studio and not even to his apartment and yes it was for Toru.
 
If it was a set of new music equipment or another gory zombie DVD it was nothing, he usually orders those. Now 3 packages the size that usually holds a dress or tux? No.
 
It was at the limit of Taka, Tomoya and Ryota’s curiosity when upon opening the 3 boxes Toru looked at the three of them and smirked. The kind of smirk accompanied with a mischievous glint of his eyes. The kind that tells you he’s up to something and that you will be included and that for sure you will be in an embarrassing situation.
 
All instincts of the 3 band members told them to stay away from Toru at that time but he bowed in front of them and said “Please, I need  your help”.
 
The three looked at the bowed down Toru and then to each other. Taka was the first one who spoke. “Ja, then tell us what this is about. What’s with the phone call, the DVDs and this? ”
 
Toru cocked his head to the side and said “You noticed?”
 
Tomoya and Ryota laughed. Ryota who has been friends with Toru since they were young, was silently observing his best friend for the past days but never said anything. He said “Of course we would. We are with  you everyday. Hahaha”
 
“Remember the concert 2 months ago?” Toru started. He was about to continue when…
“Told you it was about a girl. Pay up now” Ryota told Tomoya. 
 
“He never said anything about a girl yet so maybe he still caught an awful virus at that concert” Tomoya complained.
 
“No he is about to say that this is about that girl he flirted with at the concert” Ryota answered back.
Taka saw Toru’s eyebrows meet at the center. He snickered and explained, “They made a bet about you. Ryota said you are becoming weird coz of a girl, while Tomo, cute and concerned Tomo, bet that you incurred an uncommon virus” He then laughed so hard.
 
Toru was amused and thought... Ah my friends had no clue at all. Oh well. Its time to tell them, since they will play a big role in what I’m about to embark on. I should remind myself to have Ryota treat me as for sure he will win this silly bet. He knows me well.
 
Toru laughed then gestured for his friends to move closer. Once they were huddled “Remember the red customized guitar pick I had?” 
 
“I knew it!” Taka exclaimed.”I knew you didn’t throw it to the audience just because you forgot it was the special pick. I knew it!”
 
“Pay up!” Ryota placed his palms up in front of Tomoya, to which Tomo just playfully slapped and shouted “Yattah!” then jumped up and down with glee.
 
“Don’t giggle too much Tomo-kun, you’re not a girl!” Toru shouted amidst his laughter. “You just lost a bet!”
 
“But..I saw that too..and that girl and yattah!! I’m just happy you don’t a virus.” Tomo answered back from the other corner. He seemed to have reached  the other side of the room because of too much jumping around.
 
“So guys!” Toru called out, “ here is what I need you to do. This is not a band performance I’m asking. This is..” Toru then explained in detail.
 
Ryota and Tomoya exclaimed a “YOSH!”
 
Taka face-palmed.
***          ***          ***
 
Dhes twirled the red guitar pick between her thumb and forefinger. She was sitting at a café with a delicious-looking slice of cake in front her, coupled with a strong hot coffee. The air was filled with the aroma of coffee and morning dew. But for now she was oblivious to it all as her thoughts were on the guitar pick she was holding.
 
She was no guitar player, and she was not with a guitar right now. Just the red, curious-looking pick where she punched a tiny hole at one of the corners so she could wear it as a pendant. One side of this pick was a shiny red surface but when you flipped it, there were four letters engraved on it. TORU and a small apostrophe then s. TORU’s
 
Yes. This was literally Toru’s pic that she caught on one of  One Ok Rock’s concert. Her friends insisted that it was given to her directly and she did not just catch it by chance. But her nose bleeds of happiness and her heart automatically fills with too much fluff if she thinks of it that way, so she settles with “I luckily caught it”.
 
Dhes is a simple girl who loves to wear sneakers instead of pumps and heels, who drives a motor bike for fun but mostly stays at home and watches her favorite anime’s or read mangas while alternative rock bands are playing on the background. Her favorite? One Ok Rock. Her most favorite? Toru, the guitar player.
 
Falling for Toru was easy, it was harder NOT to fall for him. At first, he was just her idol who looks ethereal when he was playing the guitar and the sound he makes, the music he creates was just as astounding as he looks.
 
While everyone haggles for Taka’s attention because he is the main man, a few are dazzled by Ryota’s talent (and let us all admit- his abs) and a fair few hyperventilates at Tomo’s cuteness, Dhes has her eyes only at Toru.
 
Now, because of everything that happened including that fateful rainy night, that umbrella, her impulse to vandalize one wall and she being oblivious that Toru Yamaa was already responding to her through handwritten notes on the walls. Everything was only helping her fall for him even more.
(A/N are you curious how you met Dhes? that’s another story Bleh! hehe)
 
Then, as her friend Karen’s favorite expression “The universe  conspired”. She found herself at the very front of one of Toru’s concert tour along with her co fan-girl friends. If she counted, it was the 2nd time that she’ll see the guy in person. Her friends who were with her, were so frantically jumping, screaming, head banging and if the space would have allowed, they would have ran around in circles in tune to the rock beat. Not that Dhes cared for that was what she was also doing.
 
Yet, at one moment, Toru was there in front of them, in front of her, doing his crazy guitar playing. He was on the verge of a very sick tune, his face was that of a delirious rock star who was possessed with too much music feels. He bended down so low with his guitar, facing the audience, still plucking that rock beat and then he did a growl.
 
He ended that tune with a final strum that echoed throughout the arena. At this point he would usually stick his tongue out then shout a yeah! but instead he took out his red guitar pick and bent towards the front of the stage and handed the pick to the closest girl. That girl happened to be Dhes. He did not throw it. He purposely handed the pick and then smiled at Dhes. He then walked away but not before leaving her with a wink.
 
Dhes was about to roll over her seat, if only she was not at a café because of what she remembered. A hand connected with her head and spanked her. It caused her hair to be in disarray. She looked up and was about to scream and scold whoever that was but she saw the goofy face of her sister Renz.
 
“Why did you do that? I’m older than you!”
 
Renz just laughed and told her “I wanted you to come back to earth nee-chan. You look weird smiling by yourself. You’re thinking of Toru again, am I right?”
 
Before Dhes could respond, a squeal broke the early morning quiet. It could only mean one thing. Karen and the rest of the girls are here.
 
True enough a bunch of girls, none of them wearing high heels or skirts I assure you, bounded up to her table.
 
“HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!” they chorused. Then came the hugs, the extra squeals and screams that became their usual hello.
 
The manager from the said café heard the commotion and came up. The crowd around Dhes panicked since they were expecting to receive a massive telling to and lectures about public disturbance.. but the manager only came to also extend her greetings.
 
Whew.
 
Rika, one of her friends who has a green colored hair, then cracked a joke about the situation. She and Karen reenacted the scene with Karen as the manager. Naturally, the all laughed and became noisy again.
 
They celebrated her birthday almost the whole day doing almost anything, even jam and watch concert vids. They stayed at a hotel room and spent most of the time with chit chats.
 
They also showered Dhes with gifts and food. Renz gave her another coffee telling her that she needs to be awake until dawn to celebrate with them. Funny her sister rarely say jokes like that.
 
This was also the reason why she loved One Ok Rock. She found friends who are life in itself.
Life is Happy.
 
Dhes didn’t notice that when she sipped her coffee, she fell asleep.  Then her friends, all of them, smirked, giggled and carried her to a car.
 
***          ***          ***
Dhes woke up to a sound of high pitched laughter. She woke with a jolt and suddenly sat up. She scanned her surroundings as her eyes was slowly adjusting to see the dim room. 
 
She was jostled on her seat though, coz it seem like she was lying on a cushioned seat. It looks like she was inside moving vehicle and the car hit a rocky road which jostled and almost threw her off the seat. She watched the blurry, moving view from one of the windows. This only made her head ache and she still did not know where she was.
 
She  moved around so she can find balance and sat properly on her car seat. That when she noticed she was wearing a dress. Huh?
 
A sudden flash and a click of a camera startle her so she had to use her hand to shield her eyes.
 
“You look very pretty tonight” A voice said who sounded familiar. It sounded like Tomoya. But Tomoya? Here?
 
“This will be a perfect night for you.” and this sounded like Ryota.
 
“Your friends sold you to us” this one for sure, Dhes is sure this is Taka. He heard the guy sing a lot of times and answer interview questions a lot of times. So her only answer?
 
..Kyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
 
The car stopped. A hand clamped around Dhes’ mouth to stop her scream. It turns out that Tomoya was just beside her and told her “Sssh we are not kidnapping you.”
 
“No! But you’re One Ok Rock. That’s enough to make a girl scream” Dhes replied through Tomoya’s clamped hands.
 
“That’s very flattering Dhes-chan but today we are not One Ok Rock” Taka told her.
 
“What? Why?” Dhes asked. She can only see their silhouette coz of the very dim car.
 
“You’ll see soon enough.”
 
True to his word, Dhes got the shock of her lifetime. The car stopped at a seaside port. She knows so because she can hear the sound of sea waves slapping on a cemented port bay walk. She can also smell something salty in the air.
 
But that was not what shocked her. She found that she was truly wearing a dress. A black princess cut dress that snugged at her curves perfectly but still flowy enough to be decent, which ended just right above her knee. Her feet were covered with her favorite black sneakers though. It was an odd combination but it somehow suits her.
 
What shocked her was actually the person who guided her when she was climbing down the car. She was greeted by Sabo from One Piece. Complete with the blue top hat and Blue tail coat suit and cravat. Only it was Tomoya cosplaying as Sabo.
 
It was too adorable she went and hugged Tomoya and screamed “Oh My Gosh! Sabo!!!”
 
Tomoya only blushed and ushered her towards the rest of the gang.
 
Dhes wanted to cry when she saw the other two. She can only see his but she knows it was Ryota. Ryota was wearing combat boots and knee length shorts with orange hat adorned with goggles. He slowly turned and then did a salute as a greeting.
 
“Ace! OMG!” Dhes squealed with delight.She doesn’t know if she wanted to laugh at Tomo and Ryota’s looks or to cry because it truly made her happy.
 
“Ohmigosh guys!!  You all look amazing!” she sniffed and sobbed. I love you all. She thought.
“I told you we are not One OK Rock today.” Taka shouted from one corner. When Dhes turned she realized Taka was wearing Luffy’s well-known red vest and yellow straw hat.
 
ASL (Ace Sabo Luffy) from One Piece was complete in front of her. Who could think of something that would make her cry of happiness.
 
As if hearing her unspoken question, Taka answered, “Do we look Cool? He actually thought of this all. He even bought our costumes all for you!”
 
“Who?”
 
“Well One Ok Rock wouldn’t be complete without him. Who else is not here?”
 
TORU.
 
ASL guided her towards the sea where, Dhes didn’t notice before, a huge ship was actually docked. It was a majestic sight complete with mainsails and ship head of a Lion. The were anchors designed on the wood panels alternate with a lion-head design same as its head.
 
“After you” Tomoya bowed and pointed his hands towards the wide plank that allows you entrance to the ship.
 
“For Real?” Dhes with her hands on her heart asked. She was hesitant to take a step towards the majestic ship as it may cause her a heart attack.
 
“Hmm wait take a picture with us. Its rare for us to witnesses to this warm occasion” Taka suggested.
So they all took turns in taking group and selfie pictures.
 
“This is where we will leave you. The rest will be your own adventure. Happy birthday” The three chorused and then slightly pushed Dhes towards her destination.
 
“Enjoy!”
 
With nowhere else to go but forward, and with her heart filled with excitement, curiosity and warmth, Dhes stepped towards the wide wooden plank that connected ship and the port. She climbed up and aboard, feeling like a pirate about join a crew.
 
She was amazed with what she saw. It was complete, ship sails, mast, a crows nest and cabins. The most interesting thing was, there were life-sized standees of the Mugiwara ichimi at various locations.
 
“Oh my! They came to party on my birthday. Sanji, Zoro, Robin” and she named everyone. She must have looked like a kid who saw a toy for the first time but she doesn’t care. 
 
She walked towards the ship head as she intended to sit like Luffy does when they were sailing. She stopped on her tracks and her heart caught in . Her eyes started to shimmer with unshed tears.Why?
 
There he was. She forgot she loved One Piece and remembered just one man. Even if he had his back on her, there was no mistaking that tall, lean figure and the dark shade of blond hair. A strap was actually seen across his broad back, naturally that of a guitar for sure.
 
On the deck was actually a checkered cloth adorned with baskets of food and bit of flowers and a Tony Tony Chopper stuffed toy.
 
Dhes inhaled a deep breath of awe and did so to avoid crying. Then as if her deep breath was the cue, Toru turned around and faced Dhes, A smile was plastered on his face. You know the kind that shows up rarely when he is amused? THAT smile.
 
An acoustic guitar was indeed strapped around his body then he started to strum the simple chords to the very common birthday song. He sang “Happy birthday to you”.
 
HE SANG! Imagine what that would do to a fangirl who loves Toru. He rarely speaks and when he does, that deep baritone voice could knock her out. But HE SANG.
 
Dhes now wishes it was her birthday 4 times a year. Just 4 times else she’ll die of heart attack if its more.
 
“Happy birthday Dhes. It’s been a while. How are you?” Toru smiled while walking toward her.
Dhes was rooted to her spot. Her hand were once again at her heart, and she was containing her feels. She wanted to scream and she actually wanted to ran towards Toru and wrap her arms around his shoulders just like that very luck acoustic guitar.
 
“We’ll uhm.. I.. ” she wondered if her wits left her or whether her brains were burnt out. How stupid-looking was she now, she wondered.
 
“Uhm” Toru placed his palm at the back of his neck and slightly scratched his nape. A slight blush peppered his cheeks as he looked down unable to meet Dhes’ eyes. “Is it too much? Uhm don’t you like it?” Toru asked in a small voice.
 
A cute embarrassed Toru? Now that’s new. Somehow this lightened and loosened Dhes up. She was not the only one feeling stupid then right?
 
“I LOVE IT! Please don’t think otherwise. It’s perfect!” Dhes exclaimed and she ran towards him.
“You look good!” Dhes commented. Its true. Toru was wearing a long-sleeved snug sweat shirt but he pushed the sleeves back until his lower elbow so it shows off his long forearms.
 
He does look good.
 
Toru held both her hands and asked.”Really now?”
 
“Is it really all for me?”
 
“No. Its for the other girl that’s here” Toru teased.
 
When Dhes looked around, left, right and even looked up at the sky, Toru laughed. “Did you see anyone else? No? Of course its for you. Baka” Toru laughed again and slightly hit Dhes’ forehead with his finger.
 
Dhes laughed. The air was filled with tingles of her laughter and Toru felt that it was all worth it. The weeks that he called and pestered the ship owner to rent it for a night. A good thing he was a close friend of their manager. The days that he sat up and watched each episodes of her favorite anime. The dress, the costumes and the embarrassing dance he had to do to have her friends help him with this plan. 
 
Trust Karen to suggest a dance. I must give her a payback soon. He thought
 
It was ALL worth it just to see her smile on her birthday.
 
He forgot that he was just from a Day 2 performance earlier. There was one performance he would really like to do tonight though.
 
“Would you like to hear what I prepared tonight?” He asked the girl while guiding her towards the checkered cloth layered in a picnic style way and motioned for her to sit down.
 
“Oh there's more? Toru-kun, a girl can only take so much happiness in a day. Just seeing you is overwhelming enough” Dhes told her, but he can tell she was excited.
 
Toru cleared his throat “Ehem, I seem to remember, a girl telling me on a note that she would like to experience having a guy sing for her.”
 
Dhes blushed at the memory and Toru caught that. He wanted nothing more at that time to pinch her cheeks and kiss her.
 
Instead he snickered and said “I’m not Taka but here goes..” 
 
He strummed the guitar and a soothing melody filled the the air around them. It was not the usual rock or even the ballad they do but there was a message Toru wanted her to hear with this song
 
I got a feeling, I can’t explain
Whenever your eyes meet mine…
My heart spins in circles and I lose all space and time
And now that, were standing face to face
Something tells me
Its gonna be okay
 
I’m ready to fall in love, tonight
Ready to hold my heart open wide
I can’t promise Forever
but baby I’ll try
I’m ready to fall IN LOVE TONIGHT
 
/*AN: Dhes you can look for Joey Fatone’s Ready to Fall*/
 
The last notes of the song echoed and then silence. Toru was very conscious of  the girl’s reaction. Did she hear it? The message I wanted her to hear?
 
When Dhes did not say anything. He was worried and had to look at her and meet her eyes if possible. Nothing compares to how scared he was at that moment, not even breaking a guitar string during performance or strumming a wrong note and having Taka do a death glare at him.
 
This was a moment that could change his life.. and hers
 
He tapped Dhes’ shoulders and waved his hands in front of her glazed unfocused eyes.”Hello! Earth to Dhes.”
 
“Wow!” was all she said.
 
“And?” Toru was asking in a very hopeful tone. “Are you ready to fall too?”
 
The girl understood what Toru was asking, it was very clear from the lyrics of the song.“But I already fell for you long ago, Toru. I was ready a long time ago.”
 
Toru took a few seconds to register that and then smiled a very wide smile with his eyes crinkling and him trying to control himself from shouting a yeah!
 
He took off his acoustic guitar and suddenly hugged Dhes from where they were comfortably sitting.
He released her but his hands were still on her shoulders. He lifted one hand cupped Dhes’ cheeks. “I’ll tell you a secret.”
 
“Oh?” Dhes was still warm and blushing because of the sudden hug, so she was unable to respond.
 
“You know how I love puzzles remember?” the girl nodded so he continued. “Do you have the red pick I gave you?”
 
“You gave it to me?” Dhes somehow woke up from her stupor from that declaration. “You didn’t just randomly throw it?”
 
“Of course not. That’s actually a customized pick. Do you know its actually black?”
 
With Dhes’ blank expression,he motioned for he to give him the pick. She then struggled to take off her necklace and took some time to figure out the lock. Toru took mercy an encircled his arms around Dhes’ neck and undid the necklace clasp for her.
 

The hair on Dhes’ nape still tingled.

Toru took her hand and with the palm up, he laid the red pick on it. The word TORU’s can be seen from it. Dhes looked up when Toru said to scratch and peel of the red paint from it.

“You are asking me to destroy this? NO”

“No, I’m telling you a secret remember?”

She did as she was asked, she peeled and scratched the red color from the  pick and she found that it peels off easily like that of a scratch card. The curious thing was that, everything was now black except the word TORU’s and a curious 2 letter word on top of it. I’M

“I’m TORU’s! Wow, you really wanted this pick to be yours?” Dhes wondered aloud.

Toru sort of wanted to laugh or be frustrated at the slowness of Dhes. So he grabbed the pick and took out his lighter.

“Hey are u trying to burn this? No. Its my favorite pendant” Dhes protested.

“Because you are so slow, let me show you the last piece of this puzzle.”

Dhes was indeed puzzled.

Toru proceeded to burn the clear red surface at the back of the pick. Then, just like the red paint, it melted and turned to black. There were still red shining letters on it that remained though.

GIRL.

“Do you get it now? Why I gave it to you?”

I’M TORU’s GIRL.

Speechless and stunned, Toru gave the now black pick to her and smirked.

When time came that everything sunk in on Dhes’ slow brain. She jumped up and hugged Toru. Her arms wrapped tightly around his shoulder and then covered his shocked mouth with hers.

Toru didn’t mind. Dhes didn’t care.

She will never forget . EVER. Ships, Birthdays and Puzzle Pieces.