THIRTEEN.

Runaway You

 

You ended up messily at the restaurant. Not want to get caught by other customers’’, you decided to enter through the back door instead, head hangs low. You can’t help yourself after what Seungcheol had told you. Your heart beats unevenly, lost its rhythm and spirit.

Your co-worker approached you speechlessly. She looked up but you didn’t bother to lift your head from hanging down. “What the hell is going on?” Her voice raised towards you.

You still remained silent.

“Why took you so long and where is my order?” Unfortunately, you left your groceries back in Seungcheol’s car and have no way to get it back now. You only think you wouldn’t be fired today due to messes you made.

Apparently, it wasn’t supposed to happen like this before. You hate everything right now; you can’t stand working—if you have enough guts to tee off your boss’s anger—anymore.

“I’m very sorry, I forgot the groceries somewhere…” You trailed off your words nervously. Too afraid of your senior.

“What did you say?!”

When you know you will be death by your senior, another worker came to the kitchen with a bag full of groceries that looked familiar to you. The worker left it on the kitchen counter, “A guy just sent this moment ago. He said Eunhee left this,”

*It must be Seungcheol. * Your eyes shot opened. The senior who used to scold you backed up in silence.

Without hesitant you ran outside the restaurant, you wanted to know if he is still there. Even though he made you upset but honestly you never hate him. But you were disappointed again, he was already gone. You wish you can say thank you before you can’t see him anymore.

You went to the bathroom and locked yourself there. Can’t help to cry your hearts out, you let tears out and your sniffles sound fill the small cubic room. Until you ran out of tears and you felt your eyes were very puffy and you finally stopped crying at the moment. There is no solution to your sadness, you never try to find it anyway. All you need is to be alone and impossibly wish Seungcheol would be gone from your mind in instant.

You went home very late today. Although you felt guilty toward your grandmother, she still looked fine and even comforted you when you were home. You assured yourself that Seungcheol won’t came tonight and also the next day, the other day, and probably forever. It was disappointing, to be the only one who felt like that.

“I know he is jerk since the first time you told me, Eunhee.” Yunmi comfort you with gent rub on your back.

It was third day when Seungcheol went missing. You never meet even Vernon, or his two other friend anymore. You were deadly wondering, what is he doing right now?

“It hurts me to see you were upset like this. I wish I can help you.”  She looked down, upset. Seeing your best friend like that made your heart touched. You were afraid you might have wasted such a treasure like her.

“Yunmi. Do you think I can start to forget him?” Finally, you lifted your head. Yunmi who sat in opposite of you held your hand and squeezed it softly. You saw her lips curved up into warming smile.

“You can, Eunhee. I will help you too. You can start from something you like to do first then your mind will be occupied and gradually forget him.” You should have thought about it earlier. You nodded and the corner of your lips twitched.

Yunmi got up to hold the side of your face. She looked at you firmly, “First of all, you have to remember that someone came into your life for a reason. He came and left because he isn’t worth to be in your life. Got it?” She emphasized her word and shook your face to encourage.

“What if he come back again?” You blinked.

“Never let him caught you off guard again.” She formed her lips into a thin line.

Suddenly, your boss calling both of you from the entrance, “Girls, we are closing now. Get out now or I’ll locked you up there.” She’s already holding the keys of the building.

You and Yunmi looked at each other before rushed outside the restaurant. The outside was already black as dark as the restaurant. Only a neon illuminates the surrounding. As usual, you walked to your house.

On the way home you remembered Yunmi lent her mp3 for you to listen to some good music in it ever since you have no communication device. You scroll up and down for a good music and plugged the earpieces into your ears. Her taste is indeed match with you. You could finally feel more comfortable, thanks to your friend.

Finally, you arrived at home. Still quite as usual, few lamps were already turned off by your grandmother. You found her in the kitchen, washing the dishes. She must have waited for you.

“Halmeoni, I’m home.” You said softly afraid to shock her.

She paused her activity to see your exhausted face, but you tried your best to stay bright for the sake of her. But as an aged woman like your grandmother is a little bit hard to hide it. Since, she was old, wrinkles, baggy eyes, and her shivering body couldn’t lie to you.

“You look tired, halmeoni. Here I’ll do the rest, you should rest now.” You embraced her arm in yours gently. Naturally asked to stop straining her body.

Your grandmother sighed in exasperation before she let go of the plates she’s grabbing. “Thank you, darling. You should sleep too, you looked exhausted.” You nodded and smiled at her.

After your grandmother walked up to her bedroom, you turned around to start cleaning the dishes. Turning on the faucet then scrubbed the dirty dishes with sponge. Sound of running water on the sink suddenly replaced by a loud thud from your grandmother’s room.

You frowned from the sink and turned off the water, “Halmeoni?” You called but she didn’t reply.

Your head twitched out of the blue. You ran toward your grandmother’s room anxiously and you gasped, seeing your grandmother laying lifelessly on the floor.

“Halmeoni!” You cried but she gave no response. You held her hand to check her pulse, you swear to God, if it was none you would have your heart fell off your chest.

Her body was trembling and her temperature is warm. It was so sudden to you. You were afraid she will lose consciousness.

“Halmeoni, wake up.” You almost cried flood but slowly your grandmother opened her eyes. Even though the fear didn’t reduce but you relieve she was still there.

“I…am…fine, Eunhee. I…just had…a…little headache. Would you take…me to…my bed, dear?” She stuttered and hard to spoke. Without thinking you help her to her bed and pulled blanket over her.

“Halmeoni, are you okay? Shall we go to the hospital?” You contemplated her full of worry. You tried your best not to panic otherwise everything will go wrong now, but your heart beats faster.

She hardly reached for your hand and tapped them, telling you everything is fine, “I just need some rest. I will sleep now. I am so sorry for making you worry, dear.”

Her words scared you a little, but you believed her anyway. Then, tonight you promised to take care of her.