One

Photograph
LETTUCE - Cold Hearted
 
 
She looks at the enormous building and slowly walks inside with a nervous sigh.

 

Seoul University of Arts

 

She inhales and then exhales slowly before she knocks on the door. The lecturer's voice that rang from inside the theatre room stops out of the blue. She pushes the door open and walks in while her eyes roam everywhere inside of the room.

 

The room is huge, and the students are like fishes in the sea. She changes her glance to the lecturer and bows a little.

 

"You're the student that postponed the lecture right " The lecturer asks. She nods slowly.

 

The lecturer smile, "What's your name?"

 

She opens and lets out her husky voice, "Kim Eunjun."

 

The lecturer smiles while nodding. He spreads his right arm, signalling Eunjin to get a seat. Eunjin looks around to find a seat and nods to the lecturer once she found her spot.

 

"My name is Kim Junmyeon." The lecturer smiles. Eunjin nods again, "Nice to meet you, Mr Kim." She then climbs the steps to get to her seat and she sits quickly before giving a small smile to her desk mate on her left.

 

Her desk mate pulls out her right hand for a handshake, "Chou Tzuyu."

 

Eunjun shakes her hand with a small smile, "Eunjun."

 

Mr Kim smiles and introduces Eunjun through his microphone, "Meet the new student."

 

Eunjun looks down as the whispers start to echo in the theatre room. Mr Kim then smiles to her before continuing his lecture.

 

Eunjun focused on his lecture until he suddenly stops and stares at someone. He crosses his arms and points out his index finger to Tzuyu. She realises that Tzuyu was taking a selfie in the class.

 

"Now what Tzuyu just did is what we all call selfie. A selfie is a self-portrait photograph, typically taken with cameras and phones held in the hand or supported by a selfie stick. A selfie was known in 1839 by Robert Cornelius. Now Tzuyu... What is the name of the process?"

 

Tzuyu's mouth opens slightly and she closes it back while shrugging. Eunjun glances at her and whispers, "The daguerreian process." 

 

However, her voice was too loud that the lecturer heard her. Mr Kim smiles, "That is correct, Miss Kim. Looks like someone's already one step ahead of us."

 

Tzuyu stares at her and Eunjun mouths an apology. Tzuyu shakes her head, saying it's alright and thank her.

 

"Alright, class is over and let me remind you about the photo submission for the San Francisco contest. Everyone must submit one photo, no excuses!" Mr Kim says.

 

Tzuyu almost got out of the class but Mr Kim saw her, "You too, Miss Chou! I saw you there." Tzuyu sighs, "Fine Mr Kim!"

 

Eunjun walks in front of Mr Kim's desk but then she felt a hard push on her side, making her diary fell on the floor and the photos from the diary scatters everywhere. Eunjun looks at the guy that had walked pass her and she curses silently.

 

"Oh Sehun!" Mr Kim calls out with a warning tone but the Sehun guy just ignore him and fasten his pace. Mr Kim helps Eunjun to pick up all of her photos while staring at each of them.

 

Eunjun shakes her head, "Mr Kim... I don't think you should..."

 

"They're amazing." Mr Kim cuts her off. Eunjun looks at him and shrugs, "I don't think so." She's about to take the photos from his hands, but he pulls the photo and stand up straight.

 

"You have talent." Mr Kim says. He puts down the other photos on his desk and stares at the one in his hand.

 

"I like this photo." He says.

 

"Thank you." Eunjun says. Mr Kim then looks at her, "I suggest you submit this photo for the San Francisco contest."

 

He shows the photo and Eunjun looks down, slightly embarrassed. It's a photo of her wearing a long sky blue dress and a long wavy white wig, facing the soft pink wall with fresh white roses stuck on it.

 

"Is this you? The one in the photo?" He asks and she nods. He grins, "How did you do this?"

 

"Do what? The decorations?" She asks and he nods.

 

"I painted the wall soft pink, i bought many white roses, i cut the stems and paste them on the wall."

 

"Why were you holding one red rose in your hands at the back?" He asks. Eunjun hesitates, she's not sure whether she should tell him her exaggerating metaphor and imagination.

 

"I was just imagining that the red rose was the tainted one and it should be kept away from the white ones so they wouldn't be dirty like it." Eunjun chuckles for a second.

 

Mr Kim nods with a smile, "Do you want to submit this photo?"

 

"What is this contest about?"

 

"The winner's photo will be displayed in San Francisco Museum of Modern Art."

 

Eunjun's expression changes, "Really?"

 

Mr Kim chuckles, "Really."

 

Eunjun then sighs, "I... Don't think i could beat anyone here. I'll pass..."

 

Mr Kim shakes his head, "You can't. Everyone must submit one photo. Whether you'll win or not, that's not the case. Everyone will get their photos back, so don't worry."

 

He then continues, "Plus... I think this photo will go to more than just a museum."

 

Eunjun shrugs, "Thanks."

 

"You're welcomed." Mr Kim smiles and starts packing his stuffs. Eunjun turns around and walks out the door, heading to the toilet.

 

She washes her face and then looks around the toilet. She looks at the corner and see the janitor's utilities. She's about to turn around when she heard door being slammed, together with an argument between a male and a female.

 

" you, Oh Sehun! You can't do this to me!" A girl cries. Eunjun remembers the name. Sehun was the one whose on a rush just now.

 

"I'll do what i want." Sehun says coldly. Eunjun peeks from the corner and stares at both of them. The girl punches Sehun's chest and he pushes her to the wall, "Listen... You owe me money but you can't pay for it. I made things clear enough before i let you have my money. If you don't pay within six months, you'll be doomed."

 

"I told you that i'll pay! Just give me more time! Please!" The girl pleads. Sehun suddenly pulls out his gun, making Eunjun gasps. The girl's jaw drops and she shakes her head, "Where did you get that thing? Sehun... Stay back..."

 

Sehun points the gun to the girl's chest. Eunjun looks around her and saw the janitor's bucket. She inhales deeply and kicks the bucket to make a sound.

 

Sehun and the girl flinch and stare at the corner. Sehun points his gun to the corner, "Who's there?!"

 

Eunjun exhales and speaks, "You don't want to do that." 

 

"Who the is there?" Sehun raises his voice. Eunjun steps out from the corner slowly, raising both of her hands. Sehun wrinkles his forehead, "You."

 

"Once you pull the trigger, people's gonna listen and they're going to get in here quickly. You'll be busted." Eunjun says.

 

"Shut your mouth..." Sehun says with monotone. Eunjun stares at him, "I'll tell nothing if you do nothing."

 

She continues, "Just like i've said... Pull the trigger, you're the one gonna get busted."

 

Sehun puts down the gun, hiding it and quickly gets out of the toilet. Eunjun sighs in relief, so does the girl. The girl cries and she places her right hand to her chest while sighing in relief.

 

"Thank you..." The girl looks down while wiping her tears. Eunjun looks down to her, "Do you feel better?"

 

"So much."

 

"Do you need anything?" Eunjun asks while searching something in her backpack. She pulls out a pocket tissue and hands it to her.

 

The girl pulls out a tissue and wipes her tears, "No... Nothing else.Thanks."

 

"Do you want to get out of here?"

 

The girl nods, "Yes..." She gets up and walks out of the toilet with Eunjun. The girl asks, "Who are you?"

 

"Kim Eunjun."

 

"I've never seen you around..." She says, throwing the used tissue into the trash. "I just got in today. I take photography."

 

"No wonder. I'm Kim Yerim but people call me Yeri. I take music."

 

"You play?" Eunjun asks. She nods, "A little bit of piano."

 

Eunjun looks around and sees the bus that she's supposed to get in. She turns to Yeri, "Nice to meet you, Yeri. I have to go now."

 

Yeri nods and Eunjun walks towards the bus. She's about to hop on when Yeri calls her, "Eunjun-ssi!"

 

She turns around and stares at the smiling Yeri. She is waving happily with her red eyes.

 

"Thank you once again!"

 

Eunjun nods, "Take care." She hops on the bus and finds a seat at the back. She pulls out her phone as she receives a text message.

 

Dad

How's your new school? I'm sorry that me and your mother couldn't come back home now. We are coming back in three months. For now, I hope you can manage to live alone.

 

 

To: Dad

School's fine. I understand, don't worry. Even though it's quite funny when you live here in Korea while I was living my life in the UK when suddenly you wanted me to live in Seoul. But when i reached Seoul, you're not even here.

 

 

Dad

Work, honey. I'm sorry. I love you.

 

 

Eunjun locks her phone screen and sighs.

 

Today's a great start, Eunjun.

 
Author's Notes
Hello, thank you for reading the first chapter. I hope you will wait for the next chapter!
0Y0Lz4y.gif