◙ Two

Be My Lady
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Scratch.

Scratch.

Scratch.

Areum grunted as she heard the scratching sound again. Pulling her blanket over her head, she kicked around to show her discomfort because of that sound.

“No wonder you don’t have a boyfriend,” Taeyong commented as he pulled another shirt under his sister’s desk. He frowned at the state of Areum’s room. It’s like a war zone. His room’s even 120 times neater than hers. Shirts, shoes, bags, pants and skirts were left on every corner of her room.

“You’ll really grow old alone if you’re like this,” he added and Areum grunted in irritation. “Shut the hell up or I’ll cut up your balls and feed them to the crocodiles,” she threatened with a hoarse voice and Taeyong just scoffed.

“Yep, you’ll totally die single with the way that you’re talking,” he continued. She cursed under her breath and removed her blanket. “Get your allowance from my purse and get the hell out of my room.”

Taeyong grinned and grabbed his sister’s purse before taking a generous amount of money. “I’m just joking noona, Mr. Right’s on his way so hang in there,” Taeyong commented with a cheery tone. Areum knew that he’s just acting like that because he got what he wanted.

“I know. Get out,” she said, shooing him away.

With a last chant of ‘fighting’, Taeyong closed the door behind him as he left the room. The silence came back but the spirit of sleep was not visiting her anymore. She couldn’t continue her beautiful sleep because of the sudden intrusion. Areum felt her head going round and round as she pushed herself up to sit. She ran her fingers through her hair before staring blankly at the wall.

All she could remember was throwing up in the restroom of the club and nothing more. Blame the alcohol for that. She didn’t even know how she ended up on her bed or how she managed to get home. She thought that maybe one of the girls sent her home when she was too drunk.

Pushing the blanket away, she got off her bed and went straight for the door. She could smell the delicious scent of food coming from the kitchen. “You’re up? Come here and eat your hangover soup,” her mother said as she prepared food for her.

Tying her hair into a bun, she pulled her chair and sat. “You were too drunk yesterday. Jihyo had a hard time accompanying you home,” her mother commented between cutting some onions for another dish. “Areum, did you drink because of what your aunts said yesterday?”

Areum paused and stirred her soup with her spoon. Her mother looked back at her and Areum could see the concern in her eyes. “No,” she replied. That was a big fat lie and her mother saw through it.

“You know, I don’t care if you get married when you’re even older. I know that someone out there is also looking for his future partner. Your aunts are just concerned that’s why they said those things to you. I talked to them already so don’t worry about it.”

Despite that, there will always be people who’ll be asking her when she’s going to get married. Even the old ladies at the market that she visits with her mother frequently also ask her that question. Their neighbors ask the same question too. There are just too many people interested on her love life.

“Mom, my soup’s going to get salty if you keep giving speeches like that. My tears will flood my soup if you continue doing that,” Areum jokingly commented. “Ah, mom, I noticed that Taeyong had some relief patches in his room yesterday. What is he doing these days?”

“He’s into dancing. Your brother just joined a dance class and he’s been using those patches because his legs and back hurt after dancing.”

“Dance class? In his school?”

Her mother shook her head. “He enrolled in a dance class which was recently opened near their school. He said he wanted to try it out. He looks like he’s enjoying it.”

Areum nodded slowly. “Atleast he’s not into bad things like other kids his age,” she commented. Her mother chuckled. “He said he wanted to learn how to dance to show his cool side to his crush.”

“Crush? That dimwit,” Areum hissed. It looks like her brother’s gonna get a girl in no time and she’ll be left alone again. The world’s really going fast with her stuck in being single. Taeyong’s 15 years younger than her and that is enough to make the two of them have some communication gap but that problem didn’t come.

Taeyong is not her biological brother. He’s the son of her uncle who passed away too early to fulfill his responsibilities as a father. Being a total orphan at the age of 5, when his mother also died because of heart complications, Areum’s parents took him in and since that day, he has been her baby brother.

“Are you going back to the hospital tomorrow?” her mother suddenly asked, snapping her from her thoughts. “Yeah, I only got 2 days as day-off. We’re having a new director and we’re going to meet him tomorrow so I need to be there,” she replied.

Being one of the senior doctors in Hyoshin Hospital is not easy like others view it. She has to take care of different interns while fulfilling her job as a doctor on the other hand. And now that they’re going to have a new department director, she’s just hoping for a better person to take the position from their former director who resigned after some internal conflicts between him and the hospital owner.

Her attention went to her ringing phone. She reached for it immediately when she saw Jihyo calling her. “Hello?”

“Lee Areum, are you okay now?” Jihyo asked right off the bat.

“Yeah, I’m fine now. I’m just a little dizzy. Why?”

“You made some kind of scene yesterday. Can you remember it?”

Areum squinted, trying to recall what happened that night but nothing’s happening. “What kind of scene? Is it that embarrassing? I don’t remember anything after vomiting my guts out in the restroom.”

She heard Jihyo sighing from the other line.

“You made a proposal, girl.”

“What do you mean?”

“You asked a guy to marry you.”

 

“Let me get this straight, you’re asking me to marry you?”

“Yes.”

The focus of the camera went from Areum who was sitting on the ground to the guy who was supporting her. His hair was dyed blond and his shirt was black. “Deal,” he said while looking at the camera which he was holding. “But let’s get married when we see each other again and when you’re sober,” he continued with a smile before the video stopped.

Hyeri put the phone down and sighed, looking at Areum who was starting to crack her head by hitting it on the wall. “Stop doing that. I don’t want to see any blood any time soon,” she commented and Areum looked at her blankly.

“I must be really crazy and desperate. How could I ask some stranger to marry me?” Areum asked almost crying before burying her head in her arms again.

“You really are desperate. But I can’t believe that he recorded that with your phone. He looks fine though,” Hyeri said and Areum lifted her head, glaring at her friend. “It’s not the time for you to compliment that guy. I’m really going crazy,” she whined, grabbing her phone.

She only noticed that video after talking to Jihyo on the phone in the morning. She was checking some photos, thinking that they might bring some memories back to her but she found that video instead. She almost shaved her head bald when she watched what the video was about. She was so embarrassed.

“But do you think he’s serious about marrying you?”

Areum rolled her eyes. “He only said that to play with me. Who wouldn’t do such trick to a drunk person who’s obviously not thinking straight?”

“There you go again – killing the positive thinking that I’m sharing. What if he’s the one that you’re waiting for?” Hyeri asked. Areum scoffed. “Definitely not.”

“Why?”

“He looks younger than me.”

“Oh will you stop that kind of thinking? What’s wrong with having a younger partner? They can be mature too when it comes to a relationship.”

“I can’t help it,” Areum sighed, throwing her hands high in the air. “Whenever I see younger guys, I see them as younger brothers and no romantic feelings come to me. I feel this urge of taking care of them like how I take care of Taeyong. I want to be cared too and I always feel that when I talk to older guys or guys of my age.”

“You need to stop thinking like that or else you’ll really stay single forever.”

Areum glared at her friend even more. “Go on. Sprinkle salt on my wounds,” she remarked and Hyeri couldn’t stop herself from rolling her eyes.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter