Nuit Honnête [honest night]

Misheard Reality

I don't want to forget the real me, beneath all these masks.

 

"You seem to be having fun."

"Oh? Yo Tae, Namjoon hyung, what's up?" Jimin replied to Taehyung as Hani witnessed the immediate change of facial expression from him.

"The hyungs were looking for the two of you keke~ Is this an early morning date?" Jimin lightly blushed along with Hani who has become tomato red.

"Not funny Tae." Jimin said as he splashed some saltwater towards Taehyung.

"Aigoo this kids." Namjoon sighed to himself and then joined in.

"Yah! Two could play at that game!" Taehyung shouted as he ran towards Jimin who was in water and did the same thing to Jimin. Hani got out of the water and watched, amused as the three played like little children. Until Jimin suddenly ran towards Hani's direction and pulled her away from Taehyung and Namjoon. As the two of them ran away, Taehyung was trailing not far behind grinning like an idiot who looked like he was playing a game of tag for the first time in his life. Meanwhile, Namjoon took his time walking like a lone man in the beach. He saw how happy the two looked and thought when was the last time that they played and smiled happily like that. He couldn't stop the smile playing on his lips as he almost broke down to tears. It has been a long time.

8c2f6e2bbdf60ecdd9afe0473a7ad90a--boy-scouts-kim-taehyung.jpg

They all assembled in the dining area to eat breakfast specially prepared by Jin, who loves cooking. It was noisy from the nonstop bickering of Taehyung and Jimin in short, VMin. Hani felt kind of uncomfortable since she was seated in between the two, she was internally regretting why she chose to sit there out of all places, Hoseok noticed this and told the two to stop. Hani silently thanked him and he returned it with a nod as he continued to chew on his food. Someone seems to be having low blood pressure this morning, she thought and chuckled.

"Go out with me later." Taehyung whispered to her as she slightly nodded as a reply.

She felt nervous. He was avoiding her since yesterday and didn't even make eye contact with her this morning and now suddenly, he's telling her to go out with him. She couldn't understand Taehyung's behavior, he seemed like two people in one. Nevertheless, she wanted to get to know him better since he was part of bangtan and she was curious as to what Hoseok meant about fixing him.

Right now, she was getting ready to meet him until a knock came through the door.

"That must be him." She said to herself and then finished up putting her hair in a bun and then opened the door and was greeted by Taehyung who was carrying a picnic blanket.

"Hi!"

"I can hear you just fine, no need to raise your voice."

"*chuckles* Kajja? [let's go?]"

"To where?"

"Just follow me~" He said and grabbed her wrist leading them outside the rest house and into the beach. They stopped under a gigantic coconut tree enough to give both of them shade from the sun.

Hani breathed in the fresh sea breeze and Taehyung just observed her from behind after fixing the blanket in place. Satisfied, she turned around and faced him.

"So, did you want to talk about something?" She asked hesitantly. Still feeling uneasy with the idea of them talking alone after what happened in yesterday's events.

"Uhm yeah.. come sit down." He patted the spot beside him. Hani followed leaving a lot of distance in between them.

"Sorry."

"For what?"

"Yesterday.. avoiding you and stuff. I didn't mean to act that way, I'm sorry." Taehyung said fumbling through his words.

"It's alright." Hani replied smiling a bit.

"Could we start over?"

"Gladly." She held out her hands and he happily took them.

"Do I scare you?" He asked after a while of silence.

"Rather than feeling scared, I'm more freaked out. I just can't get the idea off my head that you resemble Taekhyun down to the last hair in your body."

"This Taekhyun guy, what's he like?"

"He's always so serious, rarely smiles and always reads a book. He may look a lot like you but you're exact opposites at the same time."

Upon hearing those words Taehyung couldn't keep the urge from hugging her. He felt so warm inside. It was the first time in his life.

"Uhm Tae? Everything okay?"

"Oh sorry. I just felt really happy for some reason."

"Pfft. You're weird." Hani said and ruffled his hair. "Woah. You're hair is smoother than mine. What's your shampoo?"

"Now you're the one being weird." Taehyung mused and then laughed, Hani blushed and then laughed with him.

The two got close in no time. Sharing stories about school and their common friends.


Night came by fast and everyone decided to have a campfire and gaze at the stars. They were under a cavelike structure to keep the strong wind from blowing out their little campfire.

1*ztwuNQB741dBTLdsDQZjZg@2x.jpeg

It was the perfect view at the perfect spot. They were having smores until Namjoon brought out the liquor. Hani didn't drank much since she really didn't like the bitter intoxicating taste of alcohol. She saw as Hoseok and Taehyung got knocked out after two glasses of gin. And then there's Jimin trying to crack up at Namjoon's joke about drinking Jin [gin]. Moments later Jimin and Namjoon joined the other two in dreamland. Jin, a little drunk, placed blankets on top of them as Hani helped him. Jin couldn't maintain his balance so Hani assisted him on sitting down. The two were quiet for a while unntil Jin spoke up.

"Thank you."

"Hmm?"

"Thank you for making them know how to smile a real one again."

"Don't they know how to smile?" She asked awkwardly.

"It's not that they don't know but more like they've forgotten."

qziT8sg.png


Hani caught a glimpse of the single tear that has fallen from his eyes just as he wiped them off with his hands though along that teardrop was the epitome of great sadness. What have you guys been through? Why do you all carry that subterranean look in your eyes? She desperately wanted to ask but as she is right now, she couldn't muster the courage to bring herself to do so. Because for now, more than anyone else, she felt like an outsider.

"You know, smiling fits you all better."

"You think so?"

"Yeah."

"You're the first person to ever say that. All this time, I was always told to keep a stern face and be not swayed by people's words, act as if you're king."

"To me, you're more like a princess pfft." Hani joked.

"Yah! I'm serious here."

"Keke sorry. Continue."

"You know what I'm afraid of most in the world?"

"Hmm do tell~"

"I'm afraid that people only loved me for what I have not who I am." Hani felt a little pang in her heart because she knew what it exactly feels like to be only acknowleged through family status. She knew all too well.

"That is scary."

"Just for a little while, I want to be seen just as Kim Seokjin. Not Kim Seokjin who's the son of a renowned business tycoon but just as Kim Seokjin who loved cooking, the color pink, collecting super mario figurines and eating... because it gets a little too tiring acting like someone who you're not and will never be. I'm afraid that someday, I might forget who I actually am and never understand true happiness." Jin said, purposely leaving out deeper information.

"Don't worry, when that time comes, I'll make you remember who is Kim Seokjin. The one and only pink princess." Hani said softly and then rested Jin's head on her shoulders just as he closed his eyes, tired from all the activities today and a little drunk from the sudden burst of emotions.

"Goodnight." She whispered.

She took one last glance at everyone's peaceful sleeping state and then decided to retire for the night. Just a little closer, I'm getting to know them. She thought.