Out from the Darkness

All my Lives

inspired by THIS tumblr post

-

Choi Seungcheol may or may not have a crush on his european history professor. He also may or may not stay behind in class to watch him slowly pack up his things and leave for home, just to make sure he didn’t leave anything behind (he never does).

One thing is for sure though, and that is the fact that Yoon Jeonghan is beautiful, and Choi Seungcheol reveled in his smile.

-

It’s just a tiny little crush, Seungcheol admits to himself during one of his history professor’s lectures. They were talking about “ Gibraltar and the Falklands” whatever that is. He thinks he hears Jun mumble about how it sounds like a disease, only to be followed by Mingyu’s snickering.

“I’m blind, not deaf, Mr. Kim.” Seungcheol straightens as Jeonghan pivots to where the noise is coming from, and Mingyu does so as well despite the fact that Jeonghan wouldn’t be able to see nor appreciate his efforts in doing so. “Sorry, Professor Yoon.” Mingyu says and Jeonghan smiles in what Seungcheol could only classify as amusement before returning to his lecture. It always left Seungcheol in some sort awe whenever he would see Jeonghan maneuver his way through life so effortlessly. Many times, it seemed like Jeonghan lived a more organized and put together life than most people that can see. The rest of the time, him and his classmates would forget that he was blind to begin with.

-

Class ends and the classroom is a bustle with students packing their things, ready to head home. Seungcheol, however, was in no hurry. Of course he wasn’t. He took it upon himself to watch over Jeonghan till he was all set to leave, but- well- only because he was concerned that he would leave something behind of course.

He was halfway through with his packing before someone pushed past him, causing him to stumble slightly.

“Professor Yoon! Professor Yoon!”

Seungcheol’s frown softens into a curious smile as he watches Soonyoung run up to their professor in excitement, pulling out an envelope and whipping out the page in a flourish, holding it out for Jeonghan to see.

“I did it.” He says breathlessly as Jeonghan continues to stare blankly at the paper, lips quirked up in a slight smile.

“Soonyoung, whatever it is you did, I’m very proud of you… But as of right now, all I heard was a piece of paper.”

It takes both Soonyoung and Seungcheol a good second before they both realize that Jeonghan couldn’t see let alone read. Soonyoung lets out a loud though not unkind laugh before reading it out to Jeonghan, tears b with the newfound excitement of having gotten into the prestigious law school he had been dreaming about.

-

It was obvious to anyone with eyes that despite not being able to use his, Jeonghan was a brilliant teacher that genuinely cared for his students. Not only that, but he was relatively young, fresh from his own university and working towards his masters.

He was brilliant, and beautiful and okay maybe Seungcheol’s crush was bigger than he let on.

The bell rings and Seungcheol’s almost sad that the lecture is over.

Almost.

“Alright, I’ll see you all next week. Don’t forget to do some advanced reading!” A chorus of ‘yes’s come from passing students as they filter out of the room and Seungcheol smiles as Jeonghan smiles.

It’s contagious okay.

He waves off his friends and ignores the the suggestive wiggle of their brows before settling himself back down in his chair, gaze moving to his teacher now rummaging through his bag, eyes staring listlessly at the now empty chairs.

Well… mostly empty.

He stands up just as Jeonghan finishes, satisfied that he’s had his quiet time with the elder, only to stop when Jeonghan pivots to stare at him directly.

“Yah, who’s there?”

Seungcheol’s breath hitches as Jeonghan’s brows furrow in thought. He opens his mouth to repeat himself but Seungcheol beats him to it, walking down the steps of the lecture hall towards the podium where Jeonghan was standing.

“Sorry, professor Yoon, it’s just me.” Seungcheol starts, scratching the back of his head sheepishly, only to realize that that wasn’t much help to your blind professor . “Ch-Choi Seungcheol. I… you probably don’t know me, but-”

“Ahh… Choi Seungcheol. You wrote that paper on Marie Antoinette.” He’s most definitely not blushing, but… I mean... if he were, he’s kind of glad Jeonghan couldn’t bear witness to the embarrassment. “Not my best work.” Seungcheol admits, but Jeonghan just laughs and damn him if his stomach doesn't do somersaults.

“I thought it was intelligently done. It’s a refreshing perspective on a french monarch usually despised by the general public.” Jeonghan muses and Seungcheol can't help but chuckle because it's true. “Well, it’s relatively easier for everyone to demonize the rich. Some people forget that not only was she was a teenager at the time, she was a teenager who didn’t know any better.” Seungcheol says and Jeonghan hums in agreement.

“Well, I expected nothing less from a laude in the running like yourself.” Jeonghan says and Seungcheol is stunned because he didn’t think Jeonghan would know that. His silence must have told Jeonghan as much because soon after, he reassured him, saying: “Us teachers like to gossip about students too.” Seungcheol manages a grin before clearing his throat and running a hand through his hair. “Well I-”

“Where are you headed, Choi Seungcheol?”

For a second there, his brain stopped functioning. He never really had that long a conversation with Jeonghan before… He just reveled in his presence a few minutes after every class, but that was it, and all of those times, Jeonghan didn’t even know that he was there.

“Down park ave. I live in one of the dorms along that road.” He says after finally piecing together coherent sentences in his head. Jeonghan grins and reaches out, only to grasp at Seungcheol’s forearm gently, sending shocks all throughout the younger’s body. “I’m going the same way. Would you do me a favor and help me carry these books?” Seungcheol looks down at the stack of books resting on the teacher’s table and nods his head in agreement before voicing it out for Jeonghan to hear. Jeonghan smiles in relief before pulling out his cane and running a hand through his hair.

“Brilliant! Lead the way!” His hand moves from Seungcheol’s forearm to the crook his elbow, posture expectant, waiting for Seungcheol to move.

He does after a while of processing what was happening (and maybe sending a quick thank you to fate for throwing him a bone).

-

The day was nice, or atleast, nice enough for mid november. He watches Jeonghan struggle slightly with his scarf because of the wind, and takes it upon himself to help the older wrap it around his neck. “What a gentleman.” Jeonghan says and Seungcheol no longer flinches in embarrassment, instead allowing a small, almost fond smile to settle upon his lips. It was strange how he could find himself so endeared by Jeonghan when he barely knew the man.

They walk in silence, Jeonghan’s hand tucked securely in Seungcheol’s arm, the click of his cane against the pavement a comforting break from the silence surrounding them.

“Are you the one who stays behind in class?” Jeonghan finally says and Seungcheol’s head snaps to his, eyes widening in surprise. He sputters for a bit before pressing his lips together in a tight line.

“I just wanted to make sure you didn’t forget anything.” He finally says before chancing a glance at Jeonghan.

“I can take care of myself.” Jeonghan replies, though not unkindly. Seungcheol nods his head, and mentally kicks himself because Jeonghan can’t see him nod, before humming in agreement. “I know but…” He tries to find a reason but comes out empty-handed.

“Thank you.”

Well he wasn’t expecting that .

“What?” He says dumbly and Jeonghan laughs. He smiles, and he can’t help but think he likes making Jeonghan laugh.

“I said thank you. It’s sweet of you to be so concerned.” Jeonghan squeezes his arm slightly and Seungcheol flushes before clearing his throat and glancing at the buildings they were passing. “Are we at 35?” Jeonghan asks and Seungcheol stops at the aforementioned building, nearly missing it. See, what did he say about Jeonghan and his scary sense of surrounding.

They take the lift and Seungcheol finds himself growing more and more comfortable. Jeonghan asks him about school, about his plans after university and about life in general. In return, Seungcheol asks him about his life, how being a teacher is like and whether or not he would want to pursue education after his masters.

It was all very… nice and comfortable and… easy . And what weirded him out was how familiar Jeonghan’s presence was, as if they’ve met so many times before.

They stop at Jeonghan’s apartment unit and Seungcheol suddenly doesn’t know what else to say. He waits for Jeonghan to unlock the door, only to stand awkwardly at the doorway.

“Come in, you can place the books in the dining area.”

Seungcheol watches Jeonghan walk into the dark apartment and for a minute, he doesn’t know what to do. He looks around for a while before finally toeing his shoes off and stepping in, squinting slightly at the sudden light adjustment.

It’s dark and he doesn’t want to be rude and switch on the lights himself. Instead, he manages to locate the dining area, stubbing his toe now and again on a stray chair and/or book case.

“Tea?” Jeonghan’s voice floats from the kitchen and Seungcheol stammers out a ‘yes’, finally resting the books on the small dining table.

Very little light is let in the apartment, the windows closed shut and the lights all off.

“I have green and ginseng and-”

Seungcheol makes a move to walk towards where he thinks Jeonghan is, only to trip over a few more books scattered on the floor, arms flying up in a last ditch attempt to balance himself, only to have him fall heavily against what he thinks is some sort of plant, causing a huge ruckus and possible mess in Jeonghan’s dining room.

Great.

He hears quick footsteps come towards him before a short curse and a panicked: “OH , RIGHT, YOU CAN SEE.

The lights flicker on and Seungcheol is pretty sure he has never been more embarrassed in his life. He looks up to see Jeonghan’s worried face, cheeks a blooming red and brows furrowed in concern, hand grappling at the (obviously not often used) lightswitch.

“I-I’m so sorry, I don’t usually turn them on to begin with.”

And the only thing Seungcheol can think to say at the time is: “Wow, your electricity bill must be really low.”

He manages to make Jeonghan laugh, despite it still being strained with worry, and Seungcheol manages to smile, despite the throbbing in his head and the not so attractive bump starting to form on his forehead.

But he didn’t mind that, because all that mattered was the sound of Jeonghan’s laugh and the warmth in his heart.

 

Extra #1:

One month later...

The bell rings and class ends. Seungcheol watches the students filter out till him and Jeonghan are the last two in the room.

“Seungcheol?” Jeonghan calls out, and Seungcheol’s heart tightens at the uncertainty in his tone. “I’m here.” He says, and just like that, Jeonghan’s shoulders relax. Seungcheol smiles and rests a hand on Jeonghan’s arm.

“I’m always here.”

-

Extra #2:

“You know, I could be ridiculously ugly. I could be the next quasimodo for all you know. What if I have weird teeth? What if-” Jeonghan covers Seungcheol’s mouth with his hand, the other hand continuously drifting across the pages of the new braille book Seungcheol had bought him. Seungcheol frowns as Jeonghan ignores him for a moment more before fully pivoting to face him, brows raised in amusement.

“From what I hear, you’re quite a ‘stud’ as the girls would say.” Jeonghan says before pressing a light kiss on Seungcheol’s lips (after months of practice, he could map Seuncheol’s body out like the back of his hand). Seungcheol hums and Jeonghan can’t help but chuckle fondly.

“And baby, I may not see you, but I see your heart, and it’s a beautiful thing.”

Choi Seungcheol may or may not have fallen in love then and there with Yoon Jeonghan. Maybe he’s been in love all this time.

-

Extra #3:

Jeonghan decides to have the surgery. He doesn’t know what pushes him to do so, but he does. It’s been a long road, but the day has finally come where they’d remove the bandages, and supposedly, he'd be able to see. 

“Seungcheol?” Jeonghan breathes out nervously, hands grappling for his husband’s hand.

“I’m here, baby.” Seungcheol’s voice soothes the tension wrapping him up tight like a chord, his hand finding large, warm ones, tangling their fingers together . “I’m always here.”

He feels them peel off the bandages, but his eyes remain closed. There’s a muffled light that he sees from behind his lids and he suddenly feels a strange fear envelope him.

“S-Seung-”

“It’s okay, baby, open your eyes.”

Jeonghan takes a long deep breath before nodding his head, slowly cracking his eyes open one by one. First, everything around him is a blinding white. He’s overwhelmed by the light and he’s pretty sure he’s crying because his cheeks are wet. Then, the white morphs into different shapes and colors, till finally, it focuses on a face.

One face.

And Jeonghan finds himself lost in beautiful, brown-black eyes staring intently at him. It’s strange because Jeonghan’s been blind his whole life, but for some reason, he knows immediately that those are Seungcheol’s eyes, as if he’s seen them so many times before, drowned in those eyes lifetime after lifetime after lifetime.

“Hello, my angel.”

And he’s so blessed to be able to drown in them once more.